g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

CL W Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Paris St Germain 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 06 March 2019

In Rainbows

To be honest I don't understand the difference between short and long term. As a club we have got success when we have prioritised winning at all costs, now and not next year (like Liverpool). Ole has brought this winning mentality and made previously average players play much beyond their previous ceilings. This is Fergie-esque and I have no doubt we can win some trophies in next seasons with 2-3 new signings.
Basically, it just means that the probability of Woodward getting the right managerial hiring decreases the more times he has to make that decision. The first hiring after Mou's sacking could be a decision that required no skill from Woodward (luck), but it was possible. I was saying that a manager is all that was needed for us to turn things around and Ole has proven that.

A DOF is needed to take that decision out of Woodward's hands in the future. Long term that decision is obviously going to come up multiple times after Ole's tenure. That's why a DOF is important. Getting lucky over and over and over again is just not possible. That's the difference between the short term and long term.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The best thing about the game was with 10 mins to go I wasn't feeling sad or depressed of going out. Just the sheer character of the squad made me proud that we were in it against all odds.
This. Proud of the lads.

Mick321

Yesssssssssss! Can't believe that, looked like it was going to just peter out a bit but we seem to have the spirit of SAF's years again now. Amazing. Massive credit to everyone, I think Rom deserves a special mention though, he delivered big style, even if they were gifts you gotta be alert.

And for anyone crying about the penalty, PSG shouldnt even be in the fecking competition anyway, them and City should have been banned a long time ago.

Also, this is why people are idiots for saying they'd come 5th if it meant Liverpool not winning the league. You don't get nights like that, though luckily we can come 5th and still get CL football now ;)

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The Michael Jackson documentary being watched by other people in my house. Me running from phone to comp to watch the match on BT Sport (very different moods in one living room!). The end, 7 minutes plus, how long can this go on? Few mistakes by De Gea, also the thought that Lukaku staying fit is very important for the rest of the season.

DazT

I have actual tears in my eyes while I'm going through this thread!

Looking at the reactions of players, fans, ex-players, pundits and even compliments from rival fans.

To put it into perspective I'd forgotten we even had a player called Martial until I saw his celebration video :wenger:

Like many on here I got a bollocking when I finally crawled drunkenly into bed for the racket I made when I turned the still German night air blue with my screaming celebrations as Marcus buried that penalty. The volume apparently ramped up while the ref allowed play to go on into the 100th minute as I was sure the dream would be cruelly taken away by FIFA bowing to oil money once again! My decision to drink a few more beers and start going through reactions was, on reflection, probably ill-advised! As was trying to explain the significance of what had just happened to my GF when I finally hit the sack at around 1:30am.

Being immediately evicted to the couch backfired on her though because it's far too near the fridge where all the cold beer was! :lol:

Love this post! :lol::lol::lol:

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
I can barely concentrate at work. Just reading the positivity of everyone on here with a massive grin on my face.

I despise that cheating club now. My workmate who is a big Liverpool fan was even happy for us as he hates PSG after their encounter. Just glad we wiped the smile of their players faces and I can't even believe how good Ole is doing it is simply amazing.

davidmichael

I’m still on a high from last night and I haven’t felt like this football wise since we lifted the league title in Sir Alex’s last season, this is how I remember feeling about United and football from the 1990 FA Cup final through to that last league title.

It didn’t matter if we weren’t winning every trophy but the excitement and emotion United brought me was unparalleled (other than my daughter) but then Moyes, LVG and that cnut stripped it all away and took my club away from its principles. Ole has brought it back and I can’t thank him enough for restoring my love of the club, nights like last night are what WE are all about.

klsv

Said it would be a routine 3-1 win for us, but as surprising as it may sound, I wasn't actually thinking it will be!

Woke up thinking it was a dream. fecking hell, I love this club.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
As a PSG fan, I have experienced La Remontada two years ago and many diverse catastrophic events before and after Qatar acquired the club. My comments:

- Congrats to you: OGS implemented the right strategy given the circumstances: focus on the spine, straight-forward approach, 2 central strikers...

- Cursed PSG: with 3 goals which are some jokes including one in the 3 minutes of the game, especially given the context

- Overconfidence from several players before the 2nd leg: I'm not surprised that Kimpembe made a mistake even if VAR/referee is strange

- 2 of the 4 most important players out: not an excuse but we never have all the most important players on the pitch in February since several seasons. Missing Neymar and Cavani. I know that you had a lot of injured players my point still stands. PSG mainly relies on 4 major players: erratti+M'bappé+Neymar+Cavani... All the other players are secondary ones, which doesn't mean they are not good but I mean they can be replaced.

- Cursed Neymar . Let's say we had 4 critical games in two seasons and he only played 1 game: the first leg against Madrid last season and he was absolutely brilliant (best player on the pitch for me), injured before the 2nd leg, unavailable against United.

- Failure of German players who made to play for Arsenal and not for PSG: I'm sure @oneniltothearsenal would enjoy Kehrer and Draxler. They are like kids

- Failure of experienced players like Buffon and Dani Alves : we don't need them for the future, trust Areola and Meunier

- From a tactical standpoint, the right-wing was weak:
Kehrer/35-year-old Dani Alves/Draxler is a unit which lacks power, pace and energy. And PSG is cursed but it's part of our DNA since the 80s in a certain sense.

And to those who think PSG is a "superficial club", I just believe they are parrots with a limited football knowledge and appreciation and it's obvious that PSG fans at home and away have demonstrated PSG's soul is much more powerful than most of the Premier League clubs.

The club is still capable to retain M'bappé/Neymar/Cavani/Verratti for another year. If they are all available in February and if some adjustments are made in defence, then please be sure the club can win the Champions League next season :angel:

And to provide some context, in the last 6 years: we have been kicked out by

- Barcelona 3 times
- Real Madrid, Chelsea, United, City: 1 time

PSG will get his revenge sooner or later :devil:
Definitely not a superficial club. PSG core support is insane.

Castia

Neymar on the touch line....fecking hell :lol:

His face, he couldn’t believe what he was watching.

Red_Legion

I only watched the match after finding out the score and nothing else and I was still a nervous wreck near the end. Beyond all the results and performances, the greatest think OLE has managed to do is bring back the emotion into the club again and to do it so quickly.

Gods knows where Jose would have taken us if we persisted with him even after it was clear that man knew nothing about United despite all his fake talk. He did not understand how to tap into the heart of the club one bit but OLE knows and my word has he managed to resuscitate this club back to life again in such a short space of time.

If he does not get the job after last night then god help us cause that means this board, like Jose simply do not understand this club at all.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Neymar on the touch line....fecking hell :lol:

His face, he couldn’t believe what he was watching.
Like McClusky in Natural Born Killers:
"JESUS HAROLD CHRIST ON A F*CKING RUBBER CRUTCH, IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?"

Red1968

I was unable to watch the game at home, saw the last 15 by on my phone in my son's guitar school waiting room. The feed cut out right before the refs VAR decision by the time I got back online we had scored. I literally could not believe my eyes! Wanted to explode but couldn't!! just Magic!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Someone here on the Caf said he dreamt what we lost at OT but won in Paris 3-1 a couple of weeks ago.

Whoever the feck he is, he needs to let us know what else he is dreaming of the next time.
Our very own Nostradamus.

Verbalkint

Its quite funny how pricks like Souness, Craig Burley & Ruud Gullit cannot bear to give United even a bit of credit. Spewing crap like 'Man United didn't win it, PSG lost it'

Ole's gang banging all of them week in, week out.

flappyjay

Funny thing football is. 2 weeks ago their injury crisis was suppose to make things easier for us but we lost. Our injury crisis was supposed to make the match a stroll in park for them instead they lost.

gr3yham3

Funny thing football is. 2 weeks ago their injury crisis was suppose to make things easier for us but we lost. Our injury crisis was supposed to make the match a stroll in park for them instead they lost.
Similarly, Kinpembe was supposed to have been sent off for a foul on Rashford but stayed on to score the first goal. Last night, he gave away the penalty that led to Rashy scoring the winning goal.

IRELANDUNITED

I gave every single player a 10 on the match ratings, even Bailly, that's the kind of mood i'm in today.

Bola

I'm shaking. I couldn't watch the final few minutes. What an unbelievable night! I wrote us off tonight but for the hell of it I put a few quid on us winning 3-1 at 45-1. Get in lads!

Ed - you know what you need to do.
I won about 30 quid for the match and tie win

Tried to lump on just as we got the corner that VAR turned to a pen (didn't spot the handball), but they had locked betting

The euphoria was reward enough

Player Red

I saw an article that referenced the PSG players scuffing at the penalty spot. Anybody see this?

lsd

The Oracle
How much time was added on ? Pen came in 90th min 3 mins of injury ,pen taken in 94th min and yet we played into 100th min

cheeky_backheel

Great game

- Ole made the right tactical adjustment and cramped the midfield.

- Had a bit of luck but also took our chances (better to be lucky than to be good)

- Was surprised the penalty was given considering the circumstances (ref showed real cojones without dropping his pants)

- In light of their exceptional bottling qualities that are indentical to Spurs, PSG is to be renamed Paris Spurs Gemini!

IRELANDUNITED

I left work at 1:35am last night, about 5 minutes into my drive I just started screaming wildly, i had to hold it in from 9:45 or so. I just screamed like a lunatic for about 2 minutes in celebration. I fuucking love those cnuts :D

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How much time was added on ? Pen came in 90th min 3 mins of injury ,pen taken in 94th min and yet we played into 100th min
VAR- 3 mins+
Crying by PSG - 1-2 Mins
Pen - 1 min
Added time 3 mins

Total added around 8 mins

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As a PSG fan, I have experienced La Remontada two years ago and many diverse catastrophic events before and after Qatar acquired the club. My comments:

- Congrats to you: OGS implemented the right strategy given the circumstances: focus on the spine, straight-forward approach, 2 central strikers...

- Cursed PSG: with 3 goals which are some jokes including one in the 3 minutes of the game, especially given the context

- Overconfidence from several players before the 2nd leg: I'm not surprised that Kimpembe made a mistake even if VAR/referee is strange

- 2 of the 4 most important players out: not an excuse but we never have all the most important players on the pitch in February since several seasons. Missing Neymar and Cavani. I know that you had a lot of injured players my point still stands. PSG mainly relies on 4 major players: erratti+M'bappé+Neymar+Cavani... All the other players are secondary ones, which doesn't mean they are not good but I mean they can be replaced.

- Cursed Neymar . Let's say we had 4 critical games in two seasons and he only played 1 game: the first leg against Madrid last season and he was absolutely brilliant (best player on the pitch for me), injured before the 2nd leg, unavailable against United.

- Failure of German players who made to play for Arsenal and not for PSG: I'm sure @oneniltothearsenal would enjoy Kehrer and Draxler. They are like kids

- Failure of experienced players like Buffon and Dani Alves : we don't need them for the future, trust Areola and Meunier

- From a tactical standpoint, the right-wing was weak:
Kehrer/35-year-old Dani Alves/Draxler is a unit which lacks power, pace and energy. And PSG is cursed but it's part of our DNA since the 80s in a certain sense.

And to those who think PSG is a "superficial club", I just believe they are parrots with a limited football knowledge and appreciation and it's obvious that PSG fans at home and away have demonstrated PSG's soul is much more powerful than most of the Premier League clubs.

The club is still capable to retain M'bappé/Neymar/Cavani/Verratti for another year. If they are all available in February and if some adjustments are made in defence, then please be sure the club can win the Champions League next season :angel:

And to provide some context, in the last 6 years: we have been kicked out by

- Barcelona 3 times
- Real Madrid, Chelsea, United, City: 1 time

PSG will get his revenge sooner or later :devil:
Its probably due to my own negligence, but I'd never even hear of Kehrer before yesterday. Is he a regular starter for you lot?

Also, is Draxler all hype on nothing else? He never seems to do much on the (admittedly rare) occasions i see him.

FujiVice

Listening to all the games reaction today. Listening to Andy Mitten's podcast, where he has a before and after reaction, and he interviews some smug little PSG cnut patronising us. "In Paris, you will see how a real team supports a club." To which Mitten replied "dont get carried away, how many European cups have PSG won?" Love it even more than we knocked these twats out.

https://audioboom.com/channel/united-we-stand-podcast

Player Ratings

7.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% PSG 1:3 Man Utd