EL W Europa League Group L

Partizan 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 24 October 2019

aamnkeane16

6 changes from the team vs Liverpool Played 2 youth players (1 first senior start)
2 players 1st game returning from injuries
Rest 6 first team players for weekend PL game

Still came with a win in hostile ground vs a team that hasn’t lost in Europe for 2 years, after 7 months without an away win, for our first outright win in October.

It’s squad management. Like it or not we have to play these guys, with a thin squad they’ll be called upon again soon, the more they play more rust’ll come off, and hopefully they will get use to playing with each other more.

Yes tactic was negative, but the win will breed confidence and lift the mood in the dressing room.

The Norwich game will be the true test for these last 2 games result to be any sort of positives.

Reaction’s a bit over the top, most would be happy with a draw before the game. Yet we came out with a win, and people still complain.

Gator Nate

3 points away.

Rojo, Jones, Lingard, and Mata all played every minute and we still won. (And for what it's worth, Lingard did rattle the wood once.)

In spite of playing two U23's, Williams (star of the show, IMO) and Garner (still needs work), we still won.

Oh, and the backup keeper, who made two saves.

My only concern is that McTominay played the entire match.

One positive to having no clue what Ole's doing with the lineup is that Norwich won't have a clue either. ;)

aamnkeane16

Didn't watch, didn't care but cared enough to come here to make a negative comment. With fans like you who needs enemies. sick and tired of the negativity and insults toward
Good call! Very strange to care to post a negative comment despite not caring about the match at all

::sonny::

0 shots on target is the new standard

> 0 goal conceded
> Away win

Will never happen again this season, so enjoy the moment

OohAahMartial

Surreal tactics today. Even had Lingard up top at times. No idea why we started in that formation, nor why we changed it to an even weirder one.

UpWithRivers

After seeing Chelsea against Ajax this was twice as painful. Painful

Last edited:

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Didn't watch, didn't care but cared enough to come here to make a negative comment. With fans like you who needs enemies. sick and tired of the negativity and insults toward
I am allowed to air an opinion am I not? Because I despise this period we are going through does not mean I do not support the club still?

Sorry, would you prefer,

Fantastic performance, forget all the negatives, we won a game, onwards and upwards.

Alabaster Codify7

After seeing Chelsea against Ajax this was twice as painful. Painful.
It highlights the gigantic gulf between managers and overall plan. We are absolutely fecking shite.

Feck this entire regime, board to players. Man United isn't supposed to be about being content to take part, especially on this salary bill.

Feck them all. Bournemouth would be happy with this performance and result having fluked into Europe off a 7th place finish. This is what we've become.

JSW Devil

Terrible clueless rubbish, apart from Williams the rest of it was utter crap, Ole hasn’t a clue what he’s doing, 5 shots 1 on target which was a pen to their 15 shots they are a terrible team and they out played us. Attacking football my ass.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's quite difficult to rate the players because it was a such a nothing performance. Apart from Romero (good) and Jones (terrible).

Devil may care

I almost fell asleep in the last 25 minutes. 3 points, 60 minutesund the belt for Martial, a debut for Garner and a good performance from Brandon Williams, so a few minor positives but the football is tumescent.

wolvored

Yes, I did. And considering the threadbare squad we’ve got and the changes we made after a tough match against Liverpool, to ride out a win in front of a home support that hasn’t seen their team lose in 10 or 11 European fixtures is a positive. I thought our younger players held their nerve in key moments of a testy fixture and largely did what was asked of them. It wasn’t a “vintage”
Manchester United performance but anyone who was expecting anything resembling one seriously needs to reassess their expectations of this current squad.
I agree with a lot of what your saying and in William's we have an excellent player but pen aside we didnt have a shot on target and doesn't warrant saying it was a good performance

Kemizee

Any new negatives? No. New positives? Yes, certainly, Williams.

My conclusion is that it was actually a step forward, albeit in a not particularly exciting way. Whether the progress is sufficiently fast is another matter, but it is detectable at least.
That is a stretch. I don't see any.

Kostov

Before the game I was furious why Gomes and Chong were left out, now after watching how absolutely shit Mata and Lingard were, I am even more angry.

fergosaurus

As suspected we're back to our usual substandard performance level. Fair enough we had a weakened team but we weren't playing Barcelona, you'd expect a couple of shots on target or is that too much to ask? Bit of a weird decision to start Garner for the first time in a hostile away match like this. And no minutes for Greenwood despite having played the first two games and got a goal.

AlwaysRed66

Before the game I was furious why Gomes and Chong were left out, now after watching how absolutely shit Mata and Lingard were, I am even more angry.
I presume you have seen how bad Chong is when he plays.

Un4givableB

No shots on target, against a Football League :( The longest 10hrs of my life this year.

Utd away fans who travelled to that game, the best Utd fans in the world :)

Or are the 'girls' great in Serbia? ;)

starman

I love it how people make use of certain statics to back their argument, yes, we were trash, but this whole one shot on target (the goal) people are throwing about doesn't tell the full story. Lingard hit the post and Mctominay missed from about 5 yards out

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Surreal tactics today. Even had Lingard up top at times. No idea why we started in that formation, nor why we changed it to an even weirder one.
The tweet is wrong. Lingard went up top and Rashford to the left. No illogical because Rashford is a rubbish striker and Lingard is better suited up top since he's the master at being invisible and we were unable to get the ball forward in the 2nd half.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Watched it later on, ended up fast forwarding the last 20-25 minutes. A nothing game really. Good result. Shame about the horrendous pitches in the Europa League.

Williams MOTM. Wan-Bissaka did well. Garner finally started, had little impact. Martial was dreadful, but took the pen well.

That Pavlovic is a beast. Reminded me of Stam when Martial bounced off him.

Kentish

Away win in Europe, Martial back. Williams played well.. was a bit disappointed with Garner though he needs more games, also would have liked to see Greenwood starting. Don’t understand what Ole learns from starting both Mata and Lingard?

MisterLupus

3 points away.

Rojo, Jones, Lingard, and Mata all played every minute and we still won. (And for what it's worth, Lingard did rattle the wood once.)

In spite of playing two U23's, Williams (star of the show, IMO) and Garner (still needs work), we still won.

Oh, and the backup keeper, who made two saves.

My only concern is that McTominay played the entire match.

One positive to having no clue what Ole's doing with the lineup is that Norwich won't have a clue either. ;)
From the reactions across this forum you'd think we were beaten 5-0 with our best team fielded and fully fit. I bet some people in here are actually upset whenever we win - and if we (against all odds admittedly) manage to save a decent spot in the league by the end of this season I'm pretty sure they'll start a protest :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I love it how people make use of certain statics to back their argument, yes, we were trash, but this whole one shot on target (the goal) people are throwing about doesn't tell the full story. Lingard hit the post and Mctominay missed from about 5 yards out
Is that supposed to be reassuring?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I feel sorry for people that watch United live. Only way I get through the games is through downloading the game and using the 5-second skip button - many times. I have an intangible love for the club which keeps me invested emotionally, but feck me, my Sunday league team puts together better first touches and football than this team.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We hit the post, mctominay steared it outside the net for no good reason, we scored, and played 4 starters, teenagers and players who need match testing.

Didnt we JUST have a fantastic team game with our first team against Liverpool?

Complain to complain because angercomplain?
We missed, we missed, we had to rely on a penalty yet again, we have a shit squad, we game raised and drew.

Find it weird how some people are desperate to be positive.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just finished watching the game and blimey that was bad. The quality of football just gets worse and worse.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- We might as well have just carried on playing Martial while he was injured based on that. He must have covered less ground during that game than I did by walking to the toilet and back. Pathetic.

- How come all our players looked like the pitch was stopping them from being able to pass, control or run with the ball properly, and then Rashford came on and did all of these things with complete ease? So actually, the rest of them are just genuinely incapable of doing these things?

- Three times we had a promising counter attack cynically halted...by one of our OWN players diving to win a free kick. Another time we had a chance to get through by taking a freekick quickly, but McTominay decided he wanted to pretend to be injured instead. Then as soon as the chance disappeared, he suddenly jumped up and took the freekick, so he didn't even waste any time. Why really are the thickest football team in the world.

This would have been an acceptable nothing Europa League match if it wasn't for the fact this is basically how we play in every game. The only difference is we've won two of these games because the struggling, under pressure teenagers are less incompetent than our first team.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 278 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Partizan win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Partizan 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Partizan 0:1 Man Utd