PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Queens Park Rangers

Post-match discussion

Sun, 14 September 2014

Zen

Beat team performance in a .... long while. Seriously, can you say anyone was below par today? Maybe RVP and Evans, that's it. Leicester and West Ham are decent tests before a real test against Everton, so hoping they continue it.

Rojo looks steady and calm, he's clearly going into CB when Shaw is ready to take over LB. Not sure who with though with Jones out as Evans still doesn't always look assured and Blackett/Smalling are definitely suspect.

DanS1994

Di Maria was excellent and it goes without saying that he should be MoTM but Blind's performance was very impressive as well, just what United needed.

I was also impressed with Rojo and thought Rafael had a good game too. Herrera was good and so was Rooney. Evans still looked poor though and those mistakes will be exploited by better opposition.

I know you can't read too much into this game given it was over by HT but things looked a little awkward with van Persie, Falcao and Rooney all on the field at the same time, especially with RvP and Falcao. IMO there's no need to have them both there especially as it meant van Persie was dropping incredibly deep.

NessunDorma

Sneaky title challenge on the cards? Why not? Is our squad worse than Liverpool's last season? Is our manager?

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Doesn't matter if it was only QPR, an emphatic victory and good performance for our new look team is what we needed. We can cut a break with the past year or so now and hopefully the opposition will see this as a new an entirely different team so approach us different. Had the the chance to do that at the beginning of the season but cocked it up when we lost the Swansea. Achieve something similar against Leicester and 12 months of bad work might be undone. Should make things easier then if so many teams stop thinking they can get at us and beat us.

Siorac

Based on this game I would say that:

A) This formation is by far the best fit for our current set of players.
B) The balance of the team is far better with Mata behind the strikers as opposed to Rooney.
C) RvP should be the player most at threat from Falcao's arrival.
D) Herrera and Di Maria were always going to be first team players but Blind and Rojo did enough to walk straight into our starting eleven too.
E) Defence is still a big issue. The gap in quality between our defenders and our attackers is really remarkable. Hopefully Rojo moves into CB once Shaw is fit again.
All of this. Especially the RvP thing.

Blackett looked the more composed and experienced of our two CBs which is worrying because he's still clearly a bit raw.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Very pleased by our performance today. The new players and the returning players made a massive difference. Herrera reminded us why subbing him against Swansea was crazy, Blind did nothing that special and yet looked miles above the likes of Cleverley, Anderson, Fellaini and (sadly) Fletcher. Then there was Di Maria...

A number seven worthy of the shirt.

The new midfield reinvigorated the side and brought the best out of the rest of the side, especially Mata. Mata was dropping in, switching positions with Di Maria and Herrera and everything worked so much better because he was working with players on his wavelength.

Rafael and Rojo at full back made a huge difference too. Our ability to make the most of what we did down the right flank vanished when Rafa went off, we need him to stay fit. Rojo was pure control on that left flank too, you can see the centre-back in him, and I love the way he takes the ball out of defence.

The only disappointment was that we didn't score more. We really could have. Nobody is even talking about the penalty we might have had!

Stadjer

It was a good move. Rafael looked fantastic; no need to risk injury. I actually think Valencia can serve as his backup. Hopefully we'll never see Young or Fletcher (as much as I hate to say it,) on the pitch again.
It was a good decision to sub Rafael but the difference in quality between Rafael and Valencia was enormous. I really enjoyed watching the game but Valencia managed to annoy me with some of his 'actions'.

shabz

Great performance today with a lot of positives, still some sloppy pieces of defending and passing. Would like to see Januzaj and Shaw get a look next week and see how they fair with some good game time. Very happy with the direction today though.

Godfather

Very good performances from pretty much everyone out there. Di Maria, Herrera and Blind just brilliant in CM. Only DDG, Evans and Valencia when he came on looked under par.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sneaky title challenge on the cards? Why not? Is our squad worse than Liverpool's last season? Is our manager?
No chance. Defence is still very weak and, while this was certainly a massive positive step in terms of attack, it wouldn't be a massive surprise if we fail to maintain this form over the short term either. One excellent game doesn't mean all of our new signings have instantly bedded in, they're still going to need time before they can perform like this consistently I think.

That time it takes for everything to settle down into consistent performances will probably see City and Chelsea stretch a bit too far ahead to be caught. They're simply far further along in their development as teams right now.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Delighted for Mata. Everyone seems to think he's the one going to make way but he's delivering. RVP needs to get his shit together.

We will only get better as this team gels. Rojo into CB and Shaw in sorted.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are finally back.
And guess what, our midfield looks great.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Very good performance. It's clear that there's still a lot more to come, as it was basically a completely new starting 11 so there will be times where we look disjointed and lack fluidity, but the potential is there. Di Maria is one of the 5 best players in the world for me so it's no surprise to see him wreck teams. Rooney was very good today I thought, as was Mata. Who would have thought that the quality players would look better when they are surrounded by other quality players?

In midfield, Herrera and Blind were like a breath of fresh air. Exactly the players we needed and I think they'll form a great understanding with each other. Compliment each other really well.

Then in defence, Rojo looked really good,quick, strong and assured on the ball. Will be even better played in the middle once Shaw comes in at left back I think. Rafael was class on the other side, we really missed him. Nothing fancy but very effective throughout. Just hope he stays fit as he has the ability to be the best right back in the prem. Blackett looked good as well.

Evans though I'm not a fan of. He just looks nervy always and is a mistake waiting to happen. Bailed out De Gea early in the game but there's just something about him, he doesn't fill me with confidence.

NessunDorma

No chance. Defence is still very weak and, while this was certainly a massive positive step in terms of attack, it wouldn't be a massive surprise if we fail to maintain this form over the short term either. One excellent game doesn't mean all of our new signings have instantly bedded in, they're still going to need time before they can perform like this consistently I think.

That time it takes for everything to settle down into consistent performances will probably see City and Chelsea stretch a bit too far ahead to be caught. They're simply far further along in their development as teams right now.
We'll see.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
846 passes in the game. Only 19 crosses. What a change.
Let's not focus on the negatives. Give this team time to gel and there's no reason why we can't get back to 19 passes and 846 crosses.

Get In Scholesy

We won a match! :eek:

Upto the dizzying heights of 9th now.
Tell me about it, I'm getting a nosebleed from up here.

But more seriously, it was a good performance. It wasn't necessarily excellent or totally impressive, but it was definitely refreshing. This team has potential to become better, lets hope it continues to grow. Everyone played well, great to have most of our first team fielded for the first time all season.

Mali_Zeus

I wont come out and say we're back and we're going to fight for the title but this is really really promising....

Can't believe we have Falcao and Di Maria in our ranks.
Still can't believe it. :D

Thisistheone

That was more fecking like it. Everytime Di Maria gets the ball I feel like something might happen. Missed that feeling. And Herrera's energy. Midfielders running into the box and scoring goals. Three midfielders scored. Can't remember the last time that happened.

So happy right now :D

kundalini

Blind, Herrera, Di Maria combination in midfield looks promising. Not convinced by the attacking trio despite our 4 goals. Would like to see more movement from our attacking players. Good to see Rafael back; he's so much better than Valencia. RoJo had a good game overall. Evans' passing continues to get us in trouble.

A big improvement on previous games but still a way to go. Defence lucky to keep a clean sheet.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Obviously early days and obviously it was only QPR but, great attacking fluidity. I do wonder how the defense will cope once we play a living breathing opponent.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Blind man of the match for me. Di Maria will get the headlines but for me Blind quietly went about his business and cut things out before they happened.

Get In Scholesy

People saying "it was only QPR" etc. need to cast their minds back to about 6 months ago when we took on an arguably worse Fulham side at home and the difference between that performance and today.
Precisely, you can only beat whats in front of you. 3 points is 3 points no matter how you look at it. The performance was much improved from anything we've seen in the past 12-15 months, lets hope it continues on from here. Glad to see the change in formation as well, only proves Van Gaal isn't as stubborn as everyone was incorrectly making him out to be.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
All our debuts lads and summer signings had fantastic games today it was a pleasure to watch every single one of them especially Di Maria can't believe he is our player.

It was so Great to see rafa back too we really have missed his drive and energy hope he stays injury free as Valencia annoyed the hell out of me in the small part he played. We immediately looked worse when that change happened.

Only other negative I can find is why the hell RVP wasn't taken off instead of mata, I'm really annoyed at RVPs attitude lately, he doesn't seem to be putting in any effort, providing we were injury free then it should be that exact same team against Leicester but Falcao to start over RVP, rojo to CB and shaw at LB IMO

AKDevil

Biggest thing is the bar has been raised. You have to step up if you don't want to let this team down. I looked at Valencia coming on and thought, he is going to stand out like a sore thumb for the wrong reasons.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Nice to see Utd play with style again. It does seem like it's been a while but hopeful now we can make a run up the table.
What a difference a few weeks makes!

birdy2121

There were times during the match when I found myself literally giggling with excitement and joy. Such a different feeling to just two weeks ago.

Positives

All the newbies that started played well.
Mata looks ready to step up to fight for his position
The quick passing and pace was a genuine joy to watch
Clean sheet
Rooney looked hungry and confident, not angry and confused

Negatives
Defence still looks a bit too shaky
Valencia's lack of quality stood out
Falcao looked a bit rusty
Van Persie would have scored at least 2 two seasons ago
De Gea had a brainfart (though looked better once he got that out of his system)
Agree he can only get better. I would not start him next game based on his cameo today.
Defense will concede goals unless we tighten up. Would have liked to see Rojo at CB for a while.
Herrera for me was the most neat and tidy player on the pitch, no as explosive as ADM but very effective. Cant wait to see him up against Fabregas.

badkins

Can't remember when I was buzzing like this after our match, seriously.

We brought some proper players and we start to play proper football. Good times ahead!

birdy2121

We will need to go to Chelsea and win or hope they start loosing soon 7pts is quite a few even at this early stage.

I hope the fans dont go over the top, as all we have done is beat QPR the lowest ranked club in the championship of the 3 that were promoted last season.

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 73% of 1010 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 705 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Q.P.R. win
  • Draw