PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Queens Park Rangers

Post-match discussion

Sun, 14 September 2014

Siorac

You now comparing apples to oranges,and you know it.
He made a perfectly valid point. Real Madrid won the CL without a physically imposing central midfielder in their team. It's not a prerequisite in the Premier League either, we won it with Carrick and Scholes when Essien was in his prime at Chelsea.

Sam

Anywhere you can get some decent pictures from today that aren't watermarked?

Sam

I wanted to watch that forever. Been so fecking long since we've passed the ball like that and been exciting.
This sums up my feelings perfectly. Can't remember the last time I've looked at the clock and been wishing it could just go on and on, because I was enjoying our performance so much.

It's just a shame we can't play QPR every week...
Agreed with this entirely.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He made a perfectly valid point. Real Madrid won the CL without a physically imposing central midfielder in their team. It's not a prerequisite in the Premier League either, we won it with Carrick and Scholes when Essien was in his prime at Chelsea.
Carrick/Scholes > Blind/ Herrera. Modric and Alonso as well. At least in the mentioned circumstances. Lets give it more time to play out though.

Last edited:

siw2007

Very good performance. QPR were very poor and sort of allowed us to play our game. My man of the match was Blind who was used the ball efficiently, directed play and made good interceptions.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
We had 824 passes today as per whoscored! 824 passes! 19 crosses only. What a stark contrast to Fulham home last season.

JackXX

We've gone from players who didn't look like they wanted the ball to players who demand it. I can't believe how much of a relief it is and a joy to see players who are actually comfortable with the ball at their feet and willing to try different things. The movement and energy was on another level.
QPR looked poor but then we've played against plenty of poor sides who put men behind the ball and just played that slow "zombie" football and never looked like making a chance. I think we could have scored 6 or 7 today. Obviously Di Maria stood out but Herrera, Blind and even Rojo had brilliant home debuts.
I felt Evans was poor again despite saving us from an embarrassment in the first half (not sure what De Gea was up to). Hopefully he builds his confidence back up but his passing and general play looked shaky. I don't think our back four needs as much work as people think though. If we get Jones back, Rojo moves inside and Shaw plays LB we have a solid enough defense I think.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Not trying to sound like a RAWK'ite, but this might very well be a turning point for us. Fair enough, QPR were shite, but "our new midfield" seems to be lightyears ahead of what we could field last year.

Not only that, but we added Radamel fecking Falcao to our attacking arsenal. The jury is still out, but if he finds back to his Athetico form, he can easily bang in 20+ goals a season

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Considering Blind and Herrara have played exactly one game together, how can you be so sure?
As I said. Lets give it more time to play out. I initially compared our midfield to Chelsea's and City's and I feel like we are lightweight(physically) compared to those 2. Can Blind and Herrera overcome that? My gut says no.

MDFC Manager

Not trying to sound like a RAWK'ite, but this might very well be a turning point for us. Fair enough, QPR were shite, but "our new midfield" seems to be lightyears ahead of what we could field last year.

Not only that, but we added Radamel fecking Falcao to our attacking arsenal. The jury is still out, but if he finds back to his Athetico form, he can easily bang in 20+ goals a season
If any of our strikers go on a run to 25 goals this season, we're nailed on for the top 4.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
As I said. Lets give it more time to play out. I initially compared our midfield to Chelsea's and City's and I feel like we are lightweight(physically) compared to those 2. Can Blind and Herrera overcome that? My gut says no.
Ok. No biggie. Just looking for top 4 this year. Based on today's form-I remain optimistic. Blind/Herrra are fine by me if they're the third-best MF combo in the league. And a huge upgrade when compared to Fletcher/Cleverly/Fellani/Anderson.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Ok. No biggie. Just looking for top 4 this year. Based on today's form-I remain optimistic. Blind/Herrra are fine by me if they're the third-best MF combo in the league. And a huge upgrade when compared to Fletcher/Cleverly/Fellani/Anderson.
A significant upgrade no doubt.

ThanksBoss26

Very good performance. Hope we can kick on now and put ourselves in a good position before the next International break.

If we can get our best players out there consistently, we'll do fine this season and I think be in a position to push for the title next year.

It's when we're having to rely on the likes of Young, Valencia, Fletcher (and previously a couple who've already been shown the door) that we'd struggle this season. Without Europe and with more rest time for the players, hopefully our fitness record will improve.

Gerald G

Beautiful today. Not one bad performance. Our depth in attack is brilliant. I was hoping we might see Shaw and Pereira but you can't play them all. Rafael was sensational on his comeback from injury. Herrera - brilliant. Blind quietly superb. I hope this is the start of something new.
We should have put away a couple more chances in the second half still. Just disappointed we've got to wait another 6 days for our next match but gives them more time to work together in training.

Real Madrid are absolutely insane for selling Di Maria. Madness. He is brilliant.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Ok, I'll humour you. Can Herrera and Blind overcome what I see as a weakness(physicality) like the way Modric has? We'll see. Alonso is a beast physically. Di Maria,no point arguing that one as he appears in both equations. Ps. I havent seen the video, I just saw the text at the bottom.

Kounan

That's the problem, we had some good chances but the tension in the players got to them. I'm worried than when things don't go our way and we haven't scored goals in the 1st half the tension will overwhelm the players in the 2nd half.

This was a real problem at home for us last season.
Yes, but after the goals came, we made the same mistakes, most of them because players don't understand each other well enough, so I hope it had nothing to do with tension.

Maybe you felt the tension so you thought they feel the same (I am saying that because I was feeling like that :D).

gamma1

A commanding performance overall. I was pleased with the passing, urgency and work rate displayed by the team. The attacking intent, movement and creativity generated by the efforts of Herrera, Mata and Di Maria in particular, was very positive and it will certainly serve as a good foundation for future games. On the defensive and organizational end, it was satisfying to see the distinctly encouraging role that Blind played in midfield which allowed us to control the flow of the game. Hopefully, similar performances will follow over the coming weeks to build up the cohesion and potency of the team before facing stronger opponents like Chelsea.

WyoManU

Very pleased. Game flew by and I just wanted another 90 minutes of pure class and entertainment. Okay, it's true that it was a toothless QPR who allowed us to have our way, but you can't argue with the display. Undoubtedly we will have tougher tests ahead. Good to get the belief back. ADM was MOM by a mile. What a threat he is every time he gets on the ball with even 5 yards of space in front of him. He creates all sorts of problems when he surges at defenses like that and it just opens up a few extra yards of grass for the likes of Rooney and Mata to get involved with a touch and chance to look up and make a play. What a difference. I thought Herrera and Blind were very good as well, especially considering it was their first match together. Our defense still looks culpable, and will be found out by better sides no doubt, so here is to hoping we can score more than we concede. For me RVP was a bit absent from the match. I wouldn't say he played bad, but never really got involved all that much. I think if/when Falcao gets to full fitness and sharpness, that RVP may well be 3rd pick striker. That being said, it is nice to have 3 strikers of the quality, and different abilities, like Rooney, RVP and Falcao.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Much much better today. Part of me wants to keep telling myself it's only QPR.... but regardless of opposition they can only do damage when they have the ball.

Star man today was Blind. It's been so long since we've had a player with the positional sense, tactical awareness and football brain to sit and snuff out danger. No only did he put himself about a bit, but he mixed up his passing with backwards, sideways and thank the Lord above forward passes!

Rojo looked a little lost for the first 60 minutes when overlapping down the left. However he seemed to grow into the attacking side later in the game. Hopefully he will move inside once Shaw is fit.

Herrera and Mata looked great. I had started to read more than the odd comment suggesting that Mata is an odd man out and not needed. Today he reminded me of Scholes in the early days with his late ghosting runs into the box. With RVP on the shoulder and Rooney being Rooney, a late arriving Mata I'd going to score a hat full this year.

Only negatives were Valencia, a shadow of the player he was, RVP looked a little off the pace and Adnan being a bit greedy at the end.

Roboc7

Early days but genuine progress, watching that midfield three play compared to the likes of Cleverley and fellaini was a massive leap forward, really good balance between them and mata as well. I still think we are short of pace in the final third and it will take some time to find the best combination up front but first time this season we won and were enjoyable to watch. Need to follow it up now and show it wasn't a one off because as good as we were QPR very ordinary.

Someone

Something
That was a great team performance, who knew that our new players could make that much of an impact?

I can't find any negatives apart from that de gea crazy moment, great stuff.

JUPITER

What a game! Yes it was only QPR, but hey, it was 'only Burnley', it was 'only Swansea' and it was 'only MK Dons'.

That was a great result in front of a great crowd. And it was so f**king important in building an immediate positive energy around this new team.

You could literally see them gelling and see the confidence from the crowd being absorbed by them as the game went on. Magical stuff, that was Old Trafford waking up and f**king roaring.

Rojo, Rafael and Blind completely transformed our defence. The ball was bring brought out with confidence and Blind was just fantastic breaking down attacks and playing out calm, simple passes. Blind is going to be such a stabilising figure just sat in front of our defence, he's a really important signing for us I think.

Herrera was fantastic and I love his little give and goes where he darts off on these penetrative little runs. Took his goal very well. He's a classy player and he also impressed me in his interview - seems very focussed and intelligent and his english is great.

Di Maria was just incredible, what can you say? He is just oozes talent, drive and positivity and WORK RATE. You could see him thriving off the rocking crowd and thinking to himself, "I f**king love it here!". Hearing the entire stadium roar as he burst off down the wing was giving me goosebumps - that directness he has is pretty much my favourite attribute in a player. That frantic charge that he can instigate is just electric, absolutely electric.

There was one break where you could see Rooney running on the outside left of Di Maria and as Di Maria kicked into top gear Rooney was just loving it, looked like he was almost grinning at the explosive pace, as if to say, "at last!".

Mata looked so much better with a solid midfield behind him as well.

I honestly think we'll look back on this game as not just the start of our season, but the start of a new era. The 'waking up' moment if you will.

I'm really, really excited about this team we're building!

432JuanMata

I said I wouldn't get carried away but after 10 mins my willy was out. Look what having a midfield does. Herrera was brilliant same goes for Blind Di Maria was the star as many expected. Impressed by Rojo but hope he gets moved to CB. Mata's scoring record lately for us is amazing and benefited from the pace and movement and Rooney looked sloppy early on but improved and was great aswell just needs to fix that first touch. Overall while QPR were poor we looked like a team and our football was great. Plus surely Van Gaal will see the diamond formation is the way to go hate 3-5-2 and I personally think he was only using it due to the team being poor now we have the players we should switch from it. Great Result can't wait for Leicester :)

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Just rewatched the match. The build-up to Rooney's goal was just :drool: And I didn't notice that ADM basically ran up the entire length of the pitch for Herrera's goal.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think if we would have won it with a 1-0 scoreline and played the kinda football we witnesses, I still would have been very happy. It was so refreshing to actually see coordinated pressing and movement off the ball.

Gasolin

Ok, I'll humour you. Can Herrera and Blind overcome what I see as a weakness(physicality) like the way Modric has? We'll see. Alonso is a beast physically. Di Maria,no point arguing that one as he appears in both equations. Ps. I havent seen the video, I just saw the text at the bottom.
Alonso has a huge endurance but he's not a beast physically, I mean, he's not Yaya Toure. In modern football, it would be difficult to play with players who are not physically imposing, but it's still possible. Blind seems to have a good tactical sense to overcome his physical weakness. If he has endurance, he'll be like Deco (and he was successful at Barcelona).

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Hopefully this is just the start of something great. Not getting carried away cos it's QPR but if LVG can fully implement his attacking philosophy + a couple more top signings, then we can get excited again.

crossy1686

career ending
To those saying we still haven't got the defence to compete.

Our pass completion yesterday was 91%, more than any other team in the premier league this season, that's our blueprint.

Other teams can't score if they don't have the ball. LvG wants us to pass teams to death, keep the ball, press when we don't have it, don't give teams a chance to exploit our defence. Barcelona have had this philosophy for years.

We're very much in this title race if the team gels and we get better at keeping the ball. Everyone should be excited about this team we're building and the philosophy behind it.

Golden Nugget

Any other game this season (or probably most of last season) the referee falling over would have been a highlight. The fact that it has been forgotten by most prices how great we played. Excellent football - debutants all played well (bar Falcao, who came on when the game died down) and special mention to Rafael - showed a huge quality difference between him and Valencia.

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 73% of 1010 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 705 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Q.P.R. win
  • Draw