PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Queens Park Rangers

Post-match discussion

Sun, 14 September 2014

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I wanted to watch that forever. Been so fecking long since we've passed the ball like that and been exciting.

Moonred

Superb from the new boys. Blind fantastic, Herrera great, di Maria everywhere and class. Qpr are a poor side but you can only beat what's in front of you. Still sloppy sometimes at the back but a very satisfying result overall.

ManUnitedCanuck

Great to see us dominating at home once again. Let this be a confidence boost to the players and allow them to push on and continue to get results.

The more the weeks tick by the more injuries we can recover from and get the full side that LVG wants to play. Long way to go from here but a very good positive result that we can build from.

Happy to watch a united match again, which has been a while. Liked seeing the width coming from a back 4 which allowed us to stretch their defenders and work balls in behind them.

tombombadil

Best performance of the season, but then again, it was against a QPR team that was really proving they will be in a relegation battle. At least 3 clear cut opportunities at goal and they scored none of them. It really should have been 1 - 1 but United got lucky. Still, happy to see the team playing much better than the previous game and finally looking more like a team overall. In the end, Di Maria's individual brilliance really made the difference though.

With the players that we have, the potential is amazing, but we're not there yet. Nonetheless an encouraging performance and a good step forward. :drool:

Last edited:

justboy68

Loved that game. Felt confident again, the proper United. What a brilliant day, couldn't give a feck that it was only QPR, we could have put 10 past them if we wanted to. You could tell there was a few more gears there if we needed them.

MUFCgal

Very good performance, and a great result. It was fabulous enjoying a United match, feels like it's been a long time.

Di Maria was simply gold, Herrera was great, as was Blind. It was great seeing us with the tempo, the speed, the attacking and the movement. Sure people will say it's only QPR, but it was only Swansea, and it was only MK Dons.

Hopefully this will set us on our way now, and our seasons starts today. Same again next week please.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Did I miss something? I thought those defensive lapses were borne out of the lack of chemistry between the players. Something that will get better with time. I dont see us having terminal defensive issues like some people are suggesting here.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Very satisfying win. Like Blind as the link-up between back 4 and attackers. Nice to see no hoof balls from the CBs. Rafael was a force going forward; Blackett was solid as was Rojo. ADM of course was world class.

Assuming Falcao starts next week-wonder who's dropped. Still see Herrara and Mata as a little too much the same. Maybe move Rooney to #10 with RvP and Falcao up top.

surf

Best performance since Fergie was manager. The formation change helped and nearly all the players were good. It's nice to have a boss midfield again. We shouldn't undervalue today by dismissing QPR as rubbish - they are no better or worse than several other teams and were just outplayed.

Trizy

Who got MOTM actually?

Pros:
New guys were immense
Goals from midfield
Attractive football
Clean sheet
Big win to boost confidence

Cons:

Evans, RVP, Valencia
Mistakes at the back
Perfect chances not converted, it could have easily been 6-0, there was a few chances on a plate that we didn't convert.

SalfordRed1960

Blind man of the match for me. Di Maria will get the headlines but for me Blind quietly went about his business and cut things out before they happened.
Same for me. I thought he was excellent.

Maybe the players who have been let go or are now on the sides can watch and learn. Each of the midfield 4 were looking to do something positive.

Thought Rafael, was diving in a bit and needed to calm down, Evans still doesn't look confident, RVP really out of sorts. All the others were very good.

Devil may care

I think I am going to save player comments for the individual threads, but as a team from midfield to attack we looked really good, lots of energy and positivity on the ball along with good movement, hopefully this is just the start, as LVG say he expects us to get much better but this was a strong base to build from.

The fullbacks were strong but centrally we look a bit vulnerable defensively when pace and power comes at us as we haven't got any pace or power through the spine of the diamond to combat it. The only disappointment's were Falcao not scoring and Adnan looking anxious when he came on, but overall very happy, the most enjoyable United performance in a long time for me.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

RuudTom83

I love Rafael!

Always feel better about the matches when he is in the team.

Ibi Dreams

Today we played like how I thought we would play after watching the preseason games. Much better tempo, movement, quick passing etc. I don't know why we instantly reverted to type after an encouraging preseason, but on today's evidence it looks like we're turning it around. One thing that really surprised me was how well all of our new signings played, you kind of expect players to take a while to settle and gel but they were the best players on the pitch today.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Lots of positives going forward, but I still think the first half lacked a bit of something, and we struggling a little to create the kind of clear cut chances you see from some other teams through the centre. The free kick goal was a godsend in my opinion, because I think we were starting to struggle a bit more in terms of seriously carving them open. We were on the front foot and getting the ball into the box, but in terms of creating our strikers chances to score inside the box, it was still lacking.

We were good at playing it about, even under Moyes, if we were 3 goals up (admittedly rare under Moyes), and QPR gave up, so the second half was not really anything special, and din't tell us much.

But positives anyway. And I think Falcao in place of van Persie would speed things up and create better movement through the middle.
Still would like to see us really open a team up, get behind them, and score a couple of goals inside the box. Even if a team are deep, we've seen City get to the byline and pull it back half a dozen times before they go ahead.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I wanted to watch that forever. Been so fecking long since we've passed the ball like that and been exciting.
This sums up my feelings perfectly. Can't remember the last time I've looked at the clock and been wishing it could just go on and on, because I was enjoying our performance so much.

It's just a shame we can't play QPR every week...

Kag

I'm very happy. I'm still far too 'on edge' throughout the matches for my own good though. It's most likely to do with last season, but at 3-0 up I was sat there with genuine worry every time QPR broke forward. Like the players, I'm sure my confidence will grow as we win more matches.

Kounan

The defense was a bit shaky but what could we expect? Rojo's first game of the season for us, Rafel's first game of the season, Evans coming after an injury, the only consistent player is Blackett.

Our biggest problems with the defenses have noting to do with the quality of the players we have, but with to many injuries and not being able to let some of them play together for longer then two games, and not enough protection from the midfield (till today).

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I still think we are lightweight in midfield. Chelsea and City possess some right monsters in there.
No more lightweight than the Di Maria - Modric - Alonso combo that won the CL last year.

Midfield looks great to me. Typing that make me feel great.

JSMHE

Full of forwards passes and quick tempo.

Happy with LVG decision for trusting Blackett. Pair centre back from our academic and got clean sheet. Some proud.

Di Maria is class. MOTM

krazyrobus

Did anyone detect anxiety from the team prior to ADM's goal? I think there was lots of tension in the team and in the crowd.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Did anyone detect anxiety from the team prior to ADM's goal? I think there was lots of tension in the team and in the crowd.
Definitely. We still struggled a bit to create proper chances before the goal. Something that still needs work.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That was brilliant. Don't care that QPR were woeful, we were excellent and there's a definite feeling that we're up and running. Have to go back a fair while to remember when we last played that well. Maybe Moyes's first game against Swansea?
We were nowhere that good against Swansea, it was an individuals that won us that match. Kagawa's show versus leverkusen stands out from the last season

Kounan

We did have 3 good chances before that and always an individual mistake stopped us from scoring. We continued making the same mistakes after that, so....

MDFC Manager

I don't think there was as much of it as in the earlier matches. I thought we started off brightly and never looked tensed. Thankfully goal #1 came pretty quickly.

krazyrobus

We did have 3 good chances before that and always an individual mistake stopped us from scoring. We continued making the same mistakes after that, so....
That's the problem, we had some good chances but the tension in the players got to them. I'm worried than when things don't go our way and we haven't scored goals in the 1st half the tension will overwhelm the players in the 2nd half.

This was a real problem at home for us last season.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Yes QPR were shite but I've no doubt if we started with our dross from last season we would have struggled to win. We looked like a team today.

Tribec

Seems strange to think that all this talk of our defence, yet with that clean sheet today, we can now say we've kept clean sheets in half our games. It will do the defence some confidence, which it's been of desperate need of.

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 73% of 1010 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 705 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Q.P.R. win
  • Draw