FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 4:0 Reading

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 January 2017

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
First time in ages I can remember us dispatching a lower league team with ease. It's worth noting it was done without any of Mourinho's signings, so why couldn't Moyes or LVG do it? Mourinho is the man.

Side note, Rooney got MOTM, was it just me or was he completely shocking? He completely miss kicked the ball for the goal too.

Apologies for the font change, what's the default font?
I must have been watching another game. I thought Rooney was fantastic.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
From the point of view of getting the win and clean sheet it was exactly the right call from Mourinho, but i would have liked him to show a bit of faith in Fosu Mensah and get him on earlier. Tbh I would have subbed him on in defence to replace Rojo after his injury but perhaps that's a bit naive.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Even if it proves to be a minor problem, Rojo did the right thing by coming off. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the central defenders, in particular, have been instructed to be cautious in such situations. We need to rely on Jones, Rojo and Smalling until Bailly returns. With a busy fixture schedule this month, there's no sense taking chances. A one week problem can easily become a 4 week absence by not coming off in a timely manner. I don't read anything negative at all into Rojo's character or toughness. He did the correct thing for himself and the team.
I didn't mean what you're suggesting. I'm not questioning Rojo's fight for the cause. I'm wondering how bad the injury is because often it's those ones that seem innocuous at the time that leave players out of action for a while.

I'm hoping you're right and he just came off as a precaution, but it was a strange one. He seemed like he knew he was coming off instantly, but then seemed fine coming off.

TwoSheds

First time in ages I can remember us dispatching a lower league team with ease. It's worth noting it was done without any of Mourinho's signings, so why couldn't Moyes or LVG do it? Mourinho is the man.

Side note, Rooney got MOTM, was it just me or was he completely shocking? He completely miss kicked the ball for the goal too.

Apologies for the font change, what's the default font?
Yep, just you. Poor pass in the 2nd half allowing them an opportunity and there were one or two passes in the first that a better team might hve cut out but he was sharp, creative, good movement, largely good passing and scored a goal. Defensive work was pretty good too, although I wonder if he was feeling it towards the end of the game, hasn't had a lot of 90 mins lately.

OohAahMartial

From the point of view of getting the win and clean sheet it was exactly the right call from Mourinho, but i would have liked him to show a bit of faith in Fosu Mensah and get him on earlier. Tbh I would have subbed him on in defence to replace Rojo after his injury but perhaps that's a bit naive.
TFM looked positive in attack but didn't seen to know who to press or where to be. But I guess he has almost no experience here so it is to be expected. Think players like him should really play for the U23s or go on loan.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I think it's also fair enough to play Young. He's a consummate professional, at the end of his prime years.

Morpheus 7

Very comfortable for us, good performance. We are creating so much at the moment. Rojo picking up a knock that was the only negative, never thought I would say that. We need to get the rotation right for this Liverpool game, we could destroy Hull early. We are looking good at the moment. We are playing good football and constantly creating, something we haven't seen in years. I think with the way we are playing, we should be confident of getting the three points against Liverpool. It's a huge game in terms of where we will finish and it will be tough. Liverpool have not beaten us at Old Trafford since Moyes, keep that in mind.

TwoSheds

TFM looked positive in attack but didn't seen to know who to press or where to be. But I guess he has almost no experience here so it is to be expected. Think players like him should really play for the U23s or go on loan.
I still don't think he's really a midfielder, although that's the obvious hole in the squad for him to fill so it would be nice if he can stake a claim. For me he's a CB but he still needs to work on his positioning a lot. Either way I think you're right, he needs a loan soon to get that first team experience.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
They were one of the poorest outfits I've seen come to us, sorry to Jaap for saying that but moments like our 4th goal.

I still have no idea how they had more possession than us:confused::lol:

WyoManU

Could've been 8,9, even 10-0. Happy with the easy win. Shocked that Carrick played. Shocked that Carrick was still on after half time. Shocked that Carrick was still on after a head injury with a fair amount of blood.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Got to rest De Gea, Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Ibrahimović without major thrills, big thing.
That was the major stand out for me, as well as 3 of our strikers scoring goals. But even with absolute kindness to Stam's Reading, we should have won by 6 or more.

Its no surprise we looked so comfortable and in control as Reading were so poor. Even so, great for sqaud players to get minutes, some confidence and form into them. Looks like we'll fight on 4 fronts for a while, so we'll need every player to be able and ready when injuries and tiredness inevitably arrive.

krazyrobus

Good match, and even Rooney had a good match! His first touch was on point, no stupid sweeping balls to right back. I can't tell whether it was the opposition or he found some good form.

RRCE

I didn't mean what you're suggesting. I'm not questioning Rojo's fight for the cause. I'm wondering how bad the injury is because often it's those ones that seem innocuous at the time that leave players out of action for a while.

I'm hoping you're right and he just came off as a precaution, but it was a strange one. He seemed like he knew he was coming off instantly, but then seemed fine coming off.
Sorry - I misread your post. It was a bit of a strange one. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

stu_1992

Great result. Easy and very professional. Entertaining football. What else would I want? Good stuff.

Happy to see Martial and Rashford score, this will hopefully give them a bit of a boost. We're definitely starting to see signs of life in Martial.

I hope Rojo was just a precaution because his partnership with Jones has been impressive. Can't afford to be losing CBs now with Bailly already at the African Cup.

wolvored

No thats what I said as well he could have had half hour.

wolvored

They were one of the poorest outfits I've seen come to us, sorry to Jaap for saying that but moments like our 4th goal.

I still have no idea how they had more possession than us:confused::lol:
They did have a lot of the ball. Most of our attacks stemmed from long ball tactics.

wolvored

Very comfortable for us, good performance. We are creating so much at the moment. Rojo picking up a knock that was the only negative, never thought I would say that. We need to get the rotation right for this Liverpool game, we could destroy Hull early. We are looking good at the moment. We are playing good football and constantly creating, something we haven't seen in years. I think with the way we are playing, we should be confident of getting the three points against Liverpool. It's a huge game in terms of where we will finish and it will be tough. Liverpool have not beaten us at Old Trafford since Moyes, keep that in mind.
I expect he will play the first team against Hull and try and put the tie to bed. If we win say 3/4-0 he can then pick from the rest of the squad for the second match.

Strachans Cigar

Surprised Jose didn't take the opportunity to rest Carrick as good as he was today.

I'd have rested him and possibly started Schweinsteiger instead.

Mou's man management psychology is still making Schweiny sweat for any kind of place though.

Ideal game for Schneiderlin if we were keeping him but we're not, quite clearly.

Is he planning on playing Carrick against Hull and the Scousers too I wonder?

Needs to be careful. Hope he's got him on some kind of OAP training regimen :)

Flytan

Easy game. Martial was lethal. Rooney actually played well. Glad to see most starters got some rest

Gatti33

What a difference a year makes! Everyone who played today and was here last season and we all remember that game against Sheff United. Possibly the worst game of football I have ever witnessed.

rednotled

Comfortable controlled win, pleasant afternoon's football.

Players running at the defence, some nice interchanges in places

Carrick just edged it for MoM, Martial and Rashford notable mentions
Everyone played their part and Fellaini had a good game.

Added bonus Zlatan, Mkhi, Pogba and DDG all had rest
Schweini got some minutes. Hopefully Shaw can get some minutes against Hull.

Super bonus, no zombie backward passing from Lingard and hopefully Mourinho's finally found Lingard's best position.
:lol::lol:
That made me laugh more than it should have

rpg

Surprised Jose didn't take the opportunity to rest Carrick as good as he was today.

I'd have rested him and possibly started Schweinsteiger instead.

Mou's man management psychology is still making Schweiny sweat for any kind of place though.

Ideal game for Schneiderlin if we were keeping him but we're not, quite clearly.

Is he planning on playing Carrick against Hull and the Scousers too I wonder?

Needs to be careful. Hope he's got him on some kind of OAP training regimen :)
He is same age with Zlatan, he should be fine. Think Mourinho regarded him as very important and planning to squeeze every last bit of him in his few final seasons.

Jean claude van hire

Could've been 8,9, even 10-0. Happy with the easy win. Shocked that Carrick played. Shocked that Carrick was still on after half time. Shocked that Carrick was still on after a head injury with a fair amount of blood.
A bit dramatic:). Don't worry Carrick will have 8 days rest now, he will be fine

jackofalltrades

Surprised he let Carrick continue with that cut, the bloodstains down his neck were visible all the time. Rashford was no more than decent in general but poor as a striker. Is he trying to imitate Welbeck ? Coasted it in general, though.

Wouldn't wish that last goal on anyone, except a Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal keeper.

snk123

I felt Rashford was very poor - poor passing and finishing. Martial not involved in the second half. Carrick majestic.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
They did have a lot of the ball. Most of our attacks stemmed from long ball tactics.
I know dropping deep and surrendering possession even at home is a favoured tactic of José's when leading but they were so poor we certainly didn't have to allow them the majority of the ball..

keener

I'm aware that it's against the rules to post something positive about Rooney on this forum, but I thought he was brilliant today. His touch was delightful and on HIS day, he did far more than knee that ball in. He set up teammates with cutting passes with nice vision. I enjoyed his game today!

siw2007

Good performance from United again today. Especially impressed with how our forwards played along with Carrick. We didn't have to play at our best for the whole game but we were far too good for Reading and we ripped them apart when we did have a go at them. A bit wasteful at times, but can't complain with a 4 goal win.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I'm aware that it's against the rules to post something positive about Rooney on this forum, but I thought he was brilliant today. His touch was delightful and on HIS day, he did far more than knee that ball in. He set up teammates with cutting passes with nice vision. I enjoyed his game today!
Well said. Toss up between Roo and Carrick for MOTM for me

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 482 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Reading win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 3:0 Reading