FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 4:0 Reading

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 January 2017

JG3001

As stated, came up against a poor Reading side, but these are the sort of games where we should be punishing the other team (which I think we can all agree, even at 4-0, we didn't fully capitalise ha). Still, it's what should be expected, this would have been a very different game and score line if it was last year...

rednotled

Great result from what was in the main, our second string. If nothing else, it shows there is competition for places as pretty much all of them out there looked sharp and fit.
Inevitably there were lapses in concentration and focus but the important thing was winning. A feat that has been beyond our second string for the last few years.
Well done Jose and team.

SalfordRed1960

Nice to see that we did not underestimate them. Can't think of a player who put a foot wrong or had the wrong attitude. The game will have done wonders for Martial and Rashford. If we could only find a RW Martial, that would be some threat.

I would play the same team, bar Carrick against Hull in midweek.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Surprised Jose didn't take the opportunity to rest Carrick as good as he was today.

I'd have rested him and possibly started Schweinsteiger instead.

Mou's man management psychology is still making Schweiny sweat for any kind of place though.

Ideal game for Schneiderlin if we were keeping him but we're not, quite clearly.

Is he planning on playing Carrick against Hull and the Scousers too I wonder?

Needs to be careful. Hope he's got him on some kind of OAP training regimen :)
Schweinsteiger, unfortunately, when on the pitch, didn't show anything that he could replace Carrick, even in a game like this.
Schneiderlin and Memphis don't count till their transfers are decided.
Don't think Carrick will play Hull, but probably Schweinsteiger won't too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Easy on the eye, Rashford proves to be hungry of chances and goals.

If team's scoring match by match there's nothing much to say, just sit back and enjoy.

MuranoLover

Boy , I loved it .

We were playing with ease and smile on our faces , haven't seen this for years !

Rash showed he still has got it and if there is patience in him and Martial , soon they will boom the PL for us !

Thank you , JOSE !

Reactions: Sultan

FahadiHossein

How that was not 6 or 7 nil...
No, I am satisfied. Goal difference don't make any difference in the FA Cup unless it is a draw.
Reading looked very poor despite being 3rd in the championship, and I think it was not necessary for United to put in too much effort.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Did anyone see Rooney offer his shirt and get turned down at the end?
He tried to swap it with George Evans, who is an ex Manchester City player, hence the refusal. I say player, he only got one game for the senior team in the league cup in 2015/16, but was a youth player from 2003 - 2013.

Lol. Petty George.

Shimo

Nice to wake up early and not be stressed. Pleased as punch for Rooney as well as Martial and Rashford. Important for Martial to continue the way he had a couple games back and for Rashford to get the goals that had been eluding him.

Michael Carrick - my goodness are we going to have a hard time find a replacement. I some how feel we are going to end up with endless posts like when people used to say we are relying on a late 30s Gigg / Scholes towards the end when they were still putting in performances well above any of the younger players. He is still performing at an incredibly high level.

Whole team is in great form and while the United / Liverpool time games form often goes out the window - I am very confident we will take care of them. Just the matter of taking care of business against Hull first.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Martial was brilliant first half, Rashford had a good game except finishing and the rest did also well, such as Carrick, Rooney, etc. Good win, on the next ones

Carolina Red

Staff
Happy for the win, and happy to see Wayne tie the record. Really hope Rojo is fit again soon as we're a bit thin at CB with him and Bailly gone now.

Martial looked amazing in the 1st half and Rashford kept knocking on the door till it finally busted in. He can't be that wasteful against better competition, but now that he's broken the scoreless streak I think we will see him finishing chances with a cooler head again. Either way, good to see those two seeming to return to good form.

Acole9

Outstanding
Can't really complain about the score line as I thought it was going to be a much closer game than that. Would've felt sorry for Reading if we'd truly hammered them as they come to play and didn't just sit back like a lot of teams would.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Potential banana skin so delighted with the easy win. The players looked like they enjoyed it too. Nice to see the smiles all around.

Is this team/squad the real deal? Isn't that 8 wins in a row in all comps?

Ashley R1+O

Legend.
Great day out for Rooney and a great day out for the entire team. We were at our fluid best and a great opportunity to rest Zlatan and Pogba for Hull/Liverpool.

That last goal was hilarious :lol:.

Nanotron

Not instead, Miki has shown to be very talented, I wonder if Miki, Pogba and a Carrick-Like DM would be the future Midfield.
Is it not obvious what Herrera contributes to our effectiveness? Why on earth would you completely disregard him present or future?

as-95

Comfortable controlled win, pleasant afternoon's football.

Players running at the defence, some nice interchanges in places

Carrick just edged it for MoM, Martial and Rashford notable mentions
Everyone played their part and Fellaini had a good game.

Added bonus Zlatan, Mkhi, Pogba and DDG all had rest
Schweini got some minutes. Hopefully Shaw can get some minutes against Hull.

Super bonus, no zombie backward passing from Lingard and hopefully Mourinho's finally found Lingard's best position.
:lol:

RaptorSlo

That's what worries me, to be honest. It seemed strange that he seemed to be fine after being so quick to make his mind up about coming off.
Isn't that always the case when they pull the muscle? They can still walk...

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 482 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Reading win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 3:0 Reading
  • 25% Man Utd 2:0 Reading