FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 4:0 Reading

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 January 2017

SuperiorXI

Professional performance against a really poor Reading team. It surprised me at how bad they were but you have to give credit to the team for putting four past them, should have scored more and we need to work on finishing. Not too worried though as the main culprits are very young, plenty of time to work on that side of their game.

Sp00ks11

How far has Rooney fallen to be snubbed like that, a Reading player didn't want to take his record equalling shirt! :nervous:

Devil may care

Very comfortable win, some good performances and just a continuation of the team's confidence building aura of belief we are seeing develop.

Charlie Foley

Controlled it. I'll take our teen striker missing chances if he contributes that much and sticks 2 away at the end.

2 early goals and 2 late goals and utter dominance, can't complain try as some might

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Mourinho's instructions to play long ball behind their defense when they came with a high pressing kill the game as it started.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good performance in a fairly easy match.
I think Stam got it wrong really, he looked to try and make his team positive and not change too much from how they usually play. It's commendable wanting to come to Old Trafford and try to be positive but you're always going to come unstuck and left him looking a little naive.
That said, with Al Habsi and Blackett in your team I understand not going overly defensive.
Some good performances from us, Rooney, Martial and Carrick I was really impressed by. Rashford looked awful in spells and great in others which is expected of a nineteen year old.
I'd have liked to have seen more minutes for TFM and Schweinsteiger but when we in 4-0 I think I can forgive Mourinho for bringing them on a little later.
It's great to be talking about what is it 8 wins in a row now? Mourinho really means Business, I'm just happy to be looking forward to matches again.
Looking forward to facing Hull now hopefully that will be another easy win.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Easy win as everyone said the scoreline flatters Reading. Really pleased that Jose has got us playing like this. We have rested a number of players today and have still put Reading to the sword effortlessly. That can only bode well for the future.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Got to rest De Gea, Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Ibrahimović without major thrills, big thing.

DomesticTadpole

As a lot have said it is great to actually look forward to United playing and being confident that the lads will deliver, instead of dreading every game.

RedNed77

Anybody else mildly disappointed we didn't score 5. It just feels a long time since we put that many past somebody and for me there's a big difference between 4 & 5. 4 is a beating, 5 is a thrashing.

RRCE

That's what worries me, to be honest. It seemed strange that he seemed to be fine after being so quick to make his mind up about coming off.
Even if it proves to be a minor problem, Rojo did the right thing by coming off. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the central defenders, in particular, have been instructed to be cautious in such situations. We need to rely on Jones, Rojo and Smalling until Bailly returns. With a busy fixture schedule this month, there's no sense taking chances. A one week problem can easily become a 4 week absence by not coming off in a timely manner. I don't read anything negative at all into Rojo's character or toughness. He did the correct thing for himself and the team.

Gause

Reading left large pocket of spaces on their defense but our incisive through-balls were absolutely tasty. Loved seeing those sharp passes from Mata and Carrick, followed by explosive runs from Martial, Wazza and Rashford. Wasted too many chances, looked like the front three had some second thoughts when trying to finish those chances, but overall no reason to be not satisfied with that display.

DomesticTadpole

Got to rest De Gea, Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Ibrahimović without major thrills, big thing.
It is very significant. People keep moaning about the squad, yes it could be better, but the right manager can get the best out of good players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We took our foot off the accelerator shortly after it went 2-0 and sort of drifted through 30-40 minutes of autopilot before finishing well. Still far too much waste in the oppo box which could hurt us against the likes of Liverpool and City.

DomesticTadpole

We took our foot off the accelerator shortly after it went 2-0 and sort of drifted through 30-40 minutes of autopilot before finishing well. Still far too much waste in the oppo box which could hurt us against the likes of Liverpool and City.
This team would not be playing against them though. Our full strength side would stand toe to toe with them now.

TsuWave

Did anyone see Rooney offer his shirt and get turned down at the end?
yeah, kind of hilarious. first time i see that happen, players are usually so eager to trade shirts with the supposed "big names".

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Decent enough performance. We beat a team we would be expected to. Nothing much to write home about it. Relaxed after a bright start, got a bit sloppy but weren't made to pay for it, and eventually class told. Some good performances, which indicate some players are continuing to find form including (surprisingly) Fellaini. Onto the next round.

PS) Seems Mou sees Fosu-Mensah as a midfield player now. Guess that's why he's not fussed about moving so many midfielders on.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This team would not be playing against them though. Our full strength side would stand toe to toe with them now.
Rashford and Martial certainly would be in contention to play at some point. I felt that Martial in particular was a bit fixated on proving himself, occasionally to the detriment of passing to a teammate.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
My only disappointment is not getting the 3rd goal earlier, as I wanted Carrick off to rest.

Very happy for Martial and Rashford. Congratulations to Rooney for equalling the record.

Otherwise, nice to have an easy game for a change, and on to the next.

DomesticTadpole

Rashford and Martial certainly would be in contention to play at some point. I felt that Martial in particular was a bit fixated on proving himself, occasionally to the detriment of passing to a teammate.
He seemed to fade in the 2nd half. It became the Rashford show then.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Comfortable controlled win, pleasant afternoon's football.

Players running at the defence, some nice interchanges in places

Carrick just edged it for MoM, Martial and Rashford notable mentions
Everyone played their part and Fellaini had a good game.

Added bonus Zlatan, Mkhi, Pogba and DDG all had rest
Schweini got some minutes. Hopefully Shaw can get some minutes against Hull.

Super bonus, no zombie backward passing from Lingard and hopefully Mourinho's finally found Lingard's best position.

Trizy

First time in ages I can remember us dispatching a lower league team with ease. It's worth noting it was done without any of Mourinho's signings, so why couldn't Moyes or LVG do it? Mourinho is the man.

Side note, Rooney got MOTM, was it just me or was he completely shocking? He completely miss kicked the ball for the goal too.

Apologies for the font change, what's the default font?

DomesticTadpole

Comfortable controlled win, pleasant afternoon's football.

Players running at the defence, some nice interchanges in places

Carrick just edged it for MoM, Martial and Rashford notable mentions
Everyone played their part and Fellaini had a good game.

Added bonus Zlatan, Mkhi, Pogba and DDG all had rest
Schweini got some minutes. Hopefully Shaw can get some minutes against Hull.

Super bonus, no zombie backward passing from Lingard and hopefully Mourinho's finally found Lingard's best position.
Herrera and Tony V getting a rest as well. Needed it as well.

Shinehead Dred

Job done. Good performance. Thought Rashford and Martial looked lovely throughout and deserved their goals today.

Alabaster Codify7

Happy with that, job well done. Glad Rashford bagged a couple, Rooney was alright today but this is now his level for me - he can play well against that type of team but he's not good enough to compete against the top teams.

Hoping for another 'small' team in the next round so we can rotate again and give these boys a bit of game time.

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 482 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Reading win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 3:0 Reading
  • 25% Man Utd 2:0 Reading