FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 4:0 Reading

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 January 2017

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Carrick. What a player. Since he was at West Ham I've loved him. The thought processes or lack thereof behind his paltry international cap count is closely related to why the England team has been so awful. Not saying he would have solved it but theyve picked players and not a team.

TypeR

Professional performance on all counts. Mourinho got in absolutely spot on with the lineups and tactics against a (somewhat) naive Reading side. If they're playing that high line, having Carrick, Rooney and Mata supplying to Martial and Rashford was always going to yield chances.

Stam's a great man and decent manager, but coming to OT to attack with a Championship squad with Ali Al-Habsi as your keeper was never gonna work.

SalfordRed1960

Is it not obvious what Herrera contributes to our effectiveness? Why on earth would you completely disregard him present or future?
Who is disregarding, I said I wonder.

I already know what Herrera and Pogba with a Carrick-like midfield looks like. If we had a Martial like RW (which Miki isn't), and Miki moved into Herrera's spot it would be interesting to see how it worked defensively. Attacking wise that would be 5 very attack minded players. I think Miki and Pogba could also put in quite a defensive stint as well, supporting the DCM. That formation may only work against certain teams, so if we needed maybe a stronger defensive line then maybe that is the Herrera role.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Isn't that always the case when they pull the muscle? They can still walk...
This is the first I'm hearing about it being a muscle injury. I had no idea what injury he picked up.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He tried to swap it with George Evans, who is an ex Manchester City player, hence the refusal. I say player, he only got one game for the senior team in the league cup in 2015/16, but was a youth player from 2003 - 2013.

Lol. Petty George.
Really? That is incredibly petty and disrespectful if so. I'd understand if their manager had said not to do it but that's stupid.

Erebus

Nope, they swapped in the tunnel afterwards because Evans didnt want to do it on the pitch after a disappointing loss.
Which is something many on here have derided United players for doing in the past. Not in public, in the changing room was the call from the caf.

marlowe78

Comfortable win against a pretty good Championship team that could've easily been 6 or 7-0 with better finishing. Reading showed ambition but it played into our hands as Martial and Rashford were able to exploit their very high line.

Good performances from everyone with the exception of Blind who IMO was very poor - got repeatedly torched on the wing. I like him a lot but I'm not sure Jose is happy with what he's seeing, especially with the Lindelof purchase drawing near. Carrick excellent yet again. Fellaini I also thought was very good (don't hit me).

We put up 4 goals without Ibra, Pogba, Herrera, or Mkhitarian in the lineup...I'd hate to have seen this game with half of them in there!

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 482 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Reading win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 3:0 Reading
  • 25% Man Utd 2:0 Reading