SC L UEFA Super Cup

Real Madrid 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 August 2017

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I thought Madrid played well within themselves. However, I took lots of positives from United's performance. We are seriously lacking in wide position on the right.

Eire Red United

Put into the context that this is THE team in Europe over the last three to four seasons, it shows we are still some way off competing at the very highest level. Not a bad showing all things considered. Still think we are missing that magic player be it a magic number ten or whatever.

Where Madrid play the football nice and close we often broke with just one player then our player had to check and stop his run.

Positives
- Good spirit to get back in the game.
- Miki showed he is better as the central player rather than wide left or right.
- Rashford looks better as a left sided forwarded than wing back

Negatives
- Long way off the cream in Europe (Think we will be much closer in EPL)
- Smalling can't head for toffee
To be fair, everyone in Europe seems to be a long way off Madrid.

Manny

Grammar Police
Scholes is bang on. This team has to start producing now.

Suedesi

Embarrassing

Real eased off at 2-0

Our threat consists of long balls, and creating chaos in front of the opposition goal, rather than any patterns of play

Paul_Scholes18

I think overall our performance was quite similar to the one I expected. We raised the game and gave them a fight, but we lacked like we have quality in the final third.

Real Madrid though did raise the game as well. They are such a great team and they have the wining mentality to edge it when needed. They are the best team in the world no doubt and won Champions league now 2 seasons in a row.

We should be disappointed about loosing a big final, but I don't think this game tell us much about how we will do in the league. No team in the PL is at Reals level and I think performing like today and we will do well in the big games in the PL.

AndyMUFC

Gave it a good go against the best side in Europe. We all know we're not on their level but we still had enough chances to be level. Need to be more clinical. Lukaku scoring after missing that chance will do him the world of good.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Madrid are like a well oiled machine, even without Ronny. They just won the CL a couple of months back and seem like they're still in that sort of form. We are playing with 3 new players and without our two best defenders. Fair result in the end.

Suedesi

Real are 3 games behind us in preparation but light years ahead in passing and movement off the ball. Big Dave the only player of ours that would get in their team. A lot of work to be done and a change in playing style, get more players in the box and show some attacking intent we are far to cautious and slow.
I think fitness was the main reason Realcooled off in the last 20-30 minutes. We have had a longer pre season and we looked much sharper in the last part of the game. Our season starts this weekend, theirs a week later.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I think overall our performance was quite similar to the one I expected. We raised the game and gave them a fight, but we lacked like we have quality in the final third.

Real Madrid though did raise the game as well. They are such a great team and they have the wining mentality to edge it when needed. They are the best team in the world no doubt and won Champions league now 2 seasons in a row.

We should be disappointed about loosing a big final, but I don't think this game tell us much about how we will do in the league. No team in the PL is at Reals level and I think performing like today and we will do well in the big games in the PL.
Completely agree with this. Yeah we were beaten by a better team but not embarrassed and had chances to get something out of it. I think we'll be fine in the PL and even in the CL. We're just a couple of players short. I was disappointed about the result but not too disheartened.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
The 31m rising to 39m for Lindelöf could have been better spent on a new full back.

Pogba disappointing in a big game again!
Mkhi, and Lingard especially, not great.

Lukaku should have taken his chance at an open goal and shouldn't have gone for Herrera's ball in the first half. 75m rising to 90m, you'd expect better.

Thought Rashford was positive. Not sure why Martial remained on the bench when we were desperate for a goal.

Overall I guess you can't be too unhappy losing 2-1 against the best club team in the world. Though you get the feeling they could have scored a third if they really needed to.

Jig1234

Real Madrid better team, far better on the night. Worryingly, some of last season problems were our downfall. Dreadful finishing and decision making in the final third. We can play badly but still win if we take our chances we'd could've won that.

- Lingard I'll never understand this player. He does nothing apart from run around. I have some sympathy for him in that he is not a winger never has been. Lingard is just a no.10 that's it. If you ask him to play out wide against top opposition he'll get exposed and found out every time. Hope Martial starts on the weekend.

- Herrera is starting to annoy me, Fellaini is coming on and suddenly, we improve and are keeping the ball more. Herrera-Pogba for me struggle to work together I would like to see Pereira play instead. Starting to think Herrera is that player everyone loves but isn't all that good while Fellaini is the one we all hate but actually benefits the team more. We seem to be in more control when he plays, almost as if he knows his job. Pogba-Herrera are too erratic at times.

Mkhitaryan is another that doesn't impress me. He never plays well for 90mins he has moments in matches but is too inconsistent. Prefer Mata.

el3mel

Embarrassing

Real eased off at 2-0

Our threat consists of long balls, and creating chaos in front of the opposition goal, rather than any patterns of play
Eased off ?

We're talking about a team who slaughtered the best defense in the world 4-1 in the CL final. We were the one who became better in the last 30 minutes that's it.

Hamadovich86

Why would RM back off. Scared of us or too much respect for their old coach??
And what did Bale do to be their best player?
Does it matter why? They did, clearly (at least to me) they were relentless in their attack for most of 60 minutes. Maybe they got tired, maybe they thought they wrapped things up after the second goal.

Judas

Open to offers
Matic really is a massive massive signing. Will be worth every penny.

Still think we're probably missing a spark up front, but anyone having a meltdown over that game needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror, laughable behaviour.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Hmmm, best of a bad bunch maybe, I'm gonna have to disagree. Too many 50 pence headers for my liking, straight to opposition. Let's be realistic, he wouldn't have started if Bailly or Jones weren't suspended.
Last season Jose started Smalling ahead of Jones all season, except for that one period where he was injured and Jones and Rojo got a good partnership going. Indeed, the only time Smalling wasn't in the starting line-up when fit is when he had been injured and the two that we were using had built up a good partnership by the time he got back (the Jones-Rojo partnership for a month in the middle of the season, and the Bailly-Rojo partnership later on).

Judas

Open to offers
I think my main worry is, apart from the influence of Matic, that game was so like many last season.

We really are going into the season just hoping things click up front, it might, but it just so easily might not.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
What is it Jose sees in Lingard?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
If we play with 3 CBs then we should really commit WBs to attack lot more and push very high. Valencia did well but the left side was lacking big time.

Also with Matic in the side we don't need to play 3 CBs system as he is as good as one.

Paul_Scholes18

To be fair, everyone in Europe seems to be a long way off Madrid.
Yeah they have won 3 out of last 4 champions league. Zidane has really build a great side of them. He has improved team chemistry and created a wining mentality. Together with individual quality it make them very hard to stop.

The other top teams in europe are not insanely good and we can compete with them even if they are ahead of us. Bayern has lost quality and the team is worse than a few years ago.
Barca still rely on Messi and he is not getting younger. Iniesta is no longer a world class player and they don't have the midfield and defense at the very top level.
Juventus are good, but we can beat them no doubt. They are mainly defensively strong.
Atletico Madrid are very tough to beat, but not an insane team. Still only Real Madrid have stopped them the last 4 year in the CL.
PSG got Neymar, but they are still no world beaters.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Some childish reactions across the board tonight.

We were well in that game after the hour mark. We all know Real are a much better team right now, there's nothing embarrassing about losing 2-1 to them.

Hamadovich86

If Lukaku and Rasford had taken their chances, we could have drawn.

Secondly, we already have two creative attacking players in Mata and Mickey T. What we need is a winger who can beat a man and send in a cross.
If Bale's goal counted (didnt look offiside to me), if Casimero's header was a little lower, if DDG wasnt in goal they would've scored more.

Secondly, to me part of creativity is being able to beat a man maybe thats not the best word for it but I agree we need someone who can beat his man and thread a pass or put a cross in.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
After the 2nd it immediately looked like we'd given up. Fortunately, we kept at it and that's a big takeaway IMO. Conceding a goal like that, far too easily, almost deserved to be the start of the end but it was anything but. The style's not there yet but the spirit is and that's a good thing.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I just struggle to get excited by the way we play. There is no creative spark there. I really hope this game wasn't a sign of things to come again this season. I will give them the benefit of the doubt as it was madrid and still pre season but it really doesn't get my pulse racing.
3 new players, we've not been very convincing as an attacking unit during pre season and playing vs Madrid, if Mourinho had tried to play any other way, we'd have been thumped even more.

Admit to yourself where we truly are.

Womp

idiot
People talking about how they could have scored more are ignoring the fact that so could we. Not to add their first goal was offside. It was a game of inches. Even though the difference in quality was obvious, it's refreshing to see we can still be competitive against teams like this.

prtk0811

Embarrassing

Real eased off at 2-0

Need 2 wingers , creative one and one jose mourinho one.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
A lot of positives for us but we need to go into the market for another attacker.

By the way: some of you need to get a grip on here. The fact you need a slender lead to the best team in Europa to go off on one about where we are shows how childish some of you are. Get a grip.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
After the 2nd it immediately looked like we'd given up. Fortunately, we kept at it and that's a big takeaway IMO. Conceding a goal like that, far too easily, almost deserved to be the start of the end but it was anything but. The style's not there yet but the spirit is and that's a good thing.
That's all down to Fellaini

Eire Red United

Yeah they have won 3 out of last 4 champions league. Zidane has really build a great side of them. He has improved team chemistry and created a wining mentality. Together with individual quality it make them very hard to stop.

The other top teams in europe are not insanely good and we can compete with them even if they are ahead of us. Bayern has lost quality and the team is worse than a few years ago.
Barca still rely on Messi and he is not getting younger. Iniesta is no longer a world class player and they don't have the midfield and defense at the very top level.
Juventus are good, but we can beat them no doubt. They are mainly defensively strong.
Atletico Madrid are very tough to beat, but not an insane team. Still only Real Madrid have stopped them the last 4 year in the CL.
PSG got Neymar, but they are still no world beaters.
I agree. I'd give us a good chance of beating any of those other teams if we were to draw them in the knock out stages.

Hojoon

Benzema showed why he still starts for Real and would start over any striker in PL (apart from maybe peak Diego Costa). Makes them a lot more fluid and helps out the midfield if they need to.

Eire Red United

If Bale's goal counted (didnt look offiside to me), if Casimero's header was a little lower, if DDG wasnt in goal they would've scored more.

Secondly, to me part of creativity is being able to beat a man maybe thats not the best word for it but I agree we need someone who can beat his man and thread a pass or put a cross in.
If your granny had balls....

sect2k

The only thing embarrassing about tonight is some of the replies on here, some of you lot need to grow up or give up football.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Real Madrid was not 100% coming into this match. they lacked match fitness nor were they in form.

I think it was a good game overall but in my opinion Real Madrid perhaps deserved to win this match atleast by 4-1 and the result can really delude someone in this situation who haven't watched the match. Benz and Bale are so wasteful still it's unbelievable.

All in all I still believe Man utd came in fully fit for this match hence they had a longer pre-season but quality shined
Yeah. Only reason we dominated at the end was Madrid's lack of fitness

prtk0811

People talking about how they could have scored more are ignoring, so could we. Not to add their first goal was offside. It was a game of inches. Even though the difference in quality was obvious, it's refreshing to see we can still be competitive against teams like this.
People keep mentioning difference in quality , but shoots down that we need to implement posession based total football because we should play counter attacking .

RooneyLegend

Terrible performance, not to sure how people see positives from that. Even without Ronaldo we didn't look like we could win at any point.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 623 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Real Madrid 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Real Madrid 2:1 Man Utd