SC L UEFA Super Cup

Real Madrid 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 August 2017

vanderpants

Was Impressed with matic today, fellaini put in another shift when called upon. Pity pogba went AWOL yet again when needed. Not impressed again with Victor but hopefully the more games he's gets under his belt he will improve. We are lacking width badly and could do with a quality winger. Bale and isco showed how it was down

Josep Dowling

I just struggle to get excited by the way we play. There is no creative spark there. I really hope this game wasn't a sign of things to come again this season. I will give them the benefit of the doubt as it was madrid and still pre season but it really doesn't get my pulse racing.
Ditto this. The one thing I wanted was a goalscoring creative wide player. We offer nothing on the wings. We are a very static, boring team to watch and have been for a while.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
First half to forget against the best team in the world, but far from the embarrassment some expected.

Bale and Ronaldo didn't score, so at least that was some little torture avoided.

Isco once again amazing.

Positives with Matic and Rashford particularly; onwards we go.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The biggest problem is that we make a few signings every summer and people expect us to be right back at the top, Fergie days level again. Football isn't played on paper, yes we spent money but if you actually look at the quality of the squad we're still a long way away, progress happens linearly, we won't just go 6th to 1st/2nd and QF/SF in Europe over one summer.

Real Madrid, 2 times CL winners in a row, destroyed Juventus. Why is anyone surprised we were dominated? What did people expect, for us to go toe to toe with them? If Barca, Bayern and Juve can't beat them why would we?

I mentioned this earlier. We made a fight of it in the end. I really do not know what some people were expecting. The midfield needs to gel. Matic only came into the club a week ago. He has never played with Herrera at all and people are expecting miracles already. Lindelof needs time and unfortunately due to circumstances he has not been given any yet. I was a bit sorry that Martial didn't come on as I think he would have been a more clinical threat than Rashford, but this result is not worth losing sleep over.

MadMike

This. A huge source of their attacks and Lingarrd and Mickey T did not stop them.
You can't stop them all the time. They are simply class players. Both Carvajal and Marcelo are probably the two best players in their positions.

The accuracy of their short and long range passing is fantastic. How many times did Carvajal switch play with a pinpoint cross. He found Casemiro with a brilliant assist for the 1st goal. By comparison how many times did Valencia ping an inaccurate hopeful cross forward or misplace short odd in that first half?

manichester

Real are 3 games behind us in preparation but light years ahead in passing and movement off the ball. Big Dave the only player of ours that would get in their team. A lot of work to be done and a change in playing style, get more players in the box and show some attacking intent we are far to cautious and slow.

Shuriken

José not using his final sub to bring in either Martial or Mata when we're chasing a goal, is… odd.

Camilo

I'm still struggling to see why we start with Lingard on the left ahead of Rashford and Martial. It does my head in.
I think it's in case we need to do some amateurish defending or lackluster attacking from an unfamiliar position - two things I think Lingard is ideally suited for at bloody wingback. Bonkers formation when you don't have the players for it.

I don't mind him as a sub, but when we've (usually) only got 3 dedicated attacking players, one of them can't be such an average player. The problem is, Mata, Mhki and Martial aren't any better. We're very short in these positions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Feels like pissing into a tornado at this point.
True. Makes all discussion redundant, though. You find yourself trawling dozens of posts for the 5% of posts that reflect what actually happened. It's tiresome.

Re the game, I agree with the BT pundits take. Up against a much better team in grim conditions but lots to be encouraged about. The doom and gloom on here is bent.

CamsUnited

So, so

First half poor, second half better looked fitter, stronger than Real.
Not sure Pogba's best position is further forward would prefer to see him alongside Matic dictating play and have Miki in the 10 role.
Also Lingard not good enough for me has to be Martial and Mata in the wide roles.
Thought Smalling did well.
Lukaku looked too isolated, not a lot of service but should've had two.
Overall though it showed we are still behind the top European sides.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Real are 3 games behind us in preparation but light years ahead in passing and movement off the ball. Big Dave the only player of ours that would get in their team. A lot of work to be done and a change in playing style, get more players in the box and show some attacking intent we are far to cautious and slow.
it is not as simple as that. Madrid nearly caught us a couple of times on the break in the last few minutes.

DadiBG

Quite all right with that. Admittedly, Real didn't really get out from second gear, and when they did they cut us open easily, but as many people have said - they're the best team in the world and have been playing together for a few years, so it was to be expected.

Thought we gave a good account of ourselves, can't really place much fault in any of our players. Some people criticize Lingard, but he had some good and positive runs in the first half, and it's not like many people around him were setting the field on fire. Mkhitaryan was good and continues to show signs of improvement, he can be a very important player this season. Matic started really well, he has great positioning, tough physically - precisely the type of DM we've been crying out for for the last, oh, I dunno, six years ? Thought he faded a bit in the second half, maybe due to an incomplete preseason, and at a few times the Madrid players simply ran past him. Still, if he keeps fit, a trio of him, Herrera and Pogba can turn into the best midfield in the league.

Same with Lukkaku and Lindelof. The latter was at fault for the first goal, but it's early days for him and he's getting used to playing in our defense. Definitely his best game so far, hope he carries on in an upwards fashion. Lukkaku on the other hand was being fed scraps all night, and did really well with them, I thought. Held the ball up well, brought in players around him whenever he could. Missed one sitter, scored one, though he should be burying both chances no doubt.

Definitely a bit disappointed with Poggers and Herrera, Pogba especially really needs to kick it up a level. He was good the first half, did well against Real's pressure, but his decision making is really lacking at times. Still tries to do a bit too much and still isn't influential enough to be our primary playmaker, hope Mourinho sets him straight.

Overall, expected worse, was pleasantly surprised. The team is once more looking like it's starting to shape up, if we could sort our attacking play out, we could be contenders in the PL. The problem is we've been saying this for the last three years, hopefully this game can serve as a kick up the arse of everyone and they realize we've got a lot of catching up to Europe's elite. The players aren't bad, I don't think, they just need that extra in terms of motivation.

Zoo

Showed them too much respect and 3-5-2 is bullshit I'll never support it. Encouraging signs though.

I do hope this renews impetus to bring more attacking quality in the transfer market. We need another one in.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
True. Makes all discussion redundant, though. You find yourself trawling dozens of posts for the 5% of posts that reflect what actually happened. It's tiresome.

Re the game, I agree with the BT pundits take. Up against a much better team but lots to be encouraged about. The doom and gloom on here is bent.
Flicked it straight off when the whistle went but yea that's about right.

Jacob

Dissapointed in Rashford and as usual Pogba. Other than that, didn't expect more.

fredriti

There is such a blame game on here. How about blaming Bailly Utd's best defender for his red card and blame Jones for his red card! They are back for the weekend and Utd will be much better with them.

Hamadovich86

People on here focusing on how well did good in the second half seem to miss the part where RM backed off and allowed us to play, we scored from a nothing chance and they subbed two of their best players in Bale and Isco.

Honestly not encouraged by our performance with the exception of Matic who has done well so far. Really need that creative attacking player to give us that extra something going forward.

Parry Gallister

Only tuned in just in time for Lukakku's goal. Not total shite as performances go, but the same sort of issues. Pogba and Lindelof disappointing. Rashers's play was good but he should have converted. Matic and DDG good - maybe DDG should have saved one of the goals. Don't like to end preseason with a L, hopefully can shake it off with league hype quickly.

Someone

Something
We played well overall I think, but after we scored we became hopeless and only resorted to long balls, was kinda disappointed that we couldn't find any other way.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not bad overall given we're still getting match fit for when the real stuff starts this weekend. I am very encouraged by Matic though was a little surprised I was more impressed with what he did with the ball himself than what his presence allowed more exalted company around him to do. Smalling and Darmian both looked good to me while Fellaini and Rashford (sort your finishing young pup!) impressed when they came on. DDG is great.

Pogba had some good touches but was erratic, same goes for Mkhi. Herrera and Lukaku were too quiet for my liking and Lingard looked out of his depth. Our attack hasn't clicked just yet with our lack of threat on the left in particular looking all too obvious. I'm a little concerned at the pressure on Shaw to come into LB firing in his pre-injury form, without that we're asking Rashford or Martial to do it on their own as none of our other LB or wing options look up to the task.
Mhki is a bit of a disappointment to be honest. Herrera's pre-season got disrupted a bit. Lukaku looks a bit overawed at times. There is a lot of pressure being the CF for Manchester United, but I am sure he will come good. Matic is class.

devips

So many of the comments in here read as though people are just posting general shit based on their preconceptions rather than what actually happened in the game.
This is what Redcafe is about most of the time.

ZDwyr

So many of the comments in here read as though people are just posting general shit based on their preconceptions rather than what actually happened in the game.
Generally how the Caf works, isn't it? In my experience anyway.

Inter Yer Nan

Some good stuff. We aren't at that level and obviously when they started to play we were second best comfortably. Matic played well and Fellaini when he came on. I think we will boss a lot of games domestically in midfield but perhaps aren't quite expansive enough right now to trouble the elite in Europe but it is a work in progress.

Real's full backs and general midfield slickness is unrivaled.

JG3001

Err, what? Smalling was comfortably our best defender and one of our best overall.
Hmmm, best of a bad bunch maybe, I'm gonna have to disagree. Too many 50 pence headers for my liking, straight to opposition. Let's be realistic, he wouldn't have started if Bailly or Jones weren't suspended.

Defend him all you want, he's a squad player at best, and personally I'd get him sold. Lindelof needs to up his game quickly tho, been poor the whole of pre season.

But I stand by the fact Pogba was absolute garbage by far tonight. Even more problematic as he is suppose to be key to our attack so if he's shite, then it messes the entire attack up.

I've seen criticism of Miki, but I think he was one of our better players tonight. Not his fault if he has zero support when going forward.

Dazzmondo

Not a great performance though there were patches where we looked good. Pogba was ridiculously inconsistent today showing what he was capable of but overall having a very poor game. Not what I wanted to see today from him. Mkhi very inconsistent throughout too, some very good passes, his lack of strength is still a big issue, some great footwork. Defence as a unit looked really poor but thought Darmian and Smalling gave good individual performances. Lindelof started well but had some poor moments, including for both goals, a few good moments in 2nd half but struggled a lot when Real passed the ball around him. Valencia was good going forward but really poor defensively. De Gea was excellent. Matic was motm, really excellent. Lukaku was poor despite some good linkup play and the goal, awful miss. Lingard shouldn't have started, only reason he did was so Jose had the option to change from 3-5-2 to 4-3-3 without making subs imo, poor performance. Herrera was pretty good I thought even though a lot seem to be saying he was poor. Didn't think he did much wrong and put in some decent passes. Fellaini was great when he came on, made a huge difference. Thought Rashford was poor tbh, his pace and movement created some problems and helped but his work on the ball wasn't very good, terrible miss.

Overall, it was decent. Worrying how poor our finishing was tbh. Despite not deserving to we could have won. Positives were moreso from individuals rather than the team I think. Don't expect to see Lingard or Lindelof against West Ham. Not sure who will start alongside Bailly, Smalling or Jones. Will probably be Jones but Smalling was solid today imo. Looking forward to West Ham game and this was against probably the best team in the world so that must be considered. Still levels apart though.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Enjoyable game but was frustrating to see us miss those sitters.

RedDevil@84

People on here focusing on how well did good in the second half seem to miss the part where RM backed off and allowed us to play, we scored from a nothing chance and they subbed two of their best players in Bale and Isco..
Why would RM back off. Scared of us or too much respect for their old coach??
And what did Bale do to be their best player?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
In the words of Jay-Z "Do you fools watch football or skim through it?"

Well actually he said listen to music but the point remains!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
People on here focusing on how well did good in the second half seem to miss the part where RM backed off and allowed us to play, we scored from a nothing chance and they subbed two of their best players in Bale and Isco.

Honestly not encouraged by our performance with the exception of Matic who has done well so far. Really need that creative attacking player to give us that extra something going forward.
If Lukaku and Rasford had taken their chances, we could have drawn.

Secondly, we already have two creative attacking players in Mata and Mickey T. What we need is a winger who can beat a man and send in a cross.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We were brilliant in the second half.

It's so annoying that we still haven't bought a left back. I'm a huge Luke Shaw fan, but outside of him our options are shite.

A left back and a top class winger and we will do really well this season.

We could have been embarrassed tonight, but we weren't. The team deserves credit for that!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Mhki is a bit of a disappointment to be honest. Herrera's pre-season got disrupted a bit. Lukaku looks a bit overawed at times. There is a lot of pressure being the CF for Manchester United, but I am sure he will come good. Matic is class.
Yep we should expect far more from Mkhi. Fair comment on Herrera, he's not had an ideal preseason and I like him just fine as a starter.

The_Order

Wouldn't be mad if Martial leaves if when chasing a game Mou refuses to use him after single-handedly dismantling the very same defence a month ago.

van Nistelrooy

No they weren't.
What game were you watching? Desire is great to have, but Fellaini has more of that than anyone and still gets panned most games. It's what you create with the ball that is important. Everything Rashford touched tonight was disastrous. Lukaku may have scored a tap-in, but he messed up all other opportunities which came his way.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Ratings
  • Lingard neither is and never will be a player good enough to be at united. He is championship quality at best -2/10
  • Rashford i think can be a backup but thats it, people claiming him to be next something are too biased towards academy. Quality is missing so is composure. Speed without brains.-5/10
  • Matic was a class apart, he will be a huge difference to us and he will make Herrera redundant at Dm - 8/10
  • Pogba had a poor game and tried to do too much, needs to mature now. -6/10
  • Lukaku scored but he got little service and should have buried another one. 6.50/10
  • Lindelof improved in a back 4, unlucky to be on end of a bad decision 5.5/10
  • Mkhi can create magic and chances and also nutmeggs but needs to effect the game a lot more. 6/10
  • Fellaini is a warrior and some pussy players would have gone off, its things like this managers trust him and he pays it back. 7/10
  • Valencia/Darmian average games from average fullbacks. Nothing more expected, nothing more given.6/10
  • Smalling is midtable defender who can be a good back up defender but doesnt have talent to be a great defender, cant play from the back,can defend no doubt but we need more and that he does not have. 6.5/10
  • Herrea had an average display, needs to play in a 4-3-3, in a 3-5-2 he is not useful -6/10

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
That wasn't bad at all. We had an excellent start to the game and were very good in last 30 mins where we manage to maintain the pressure on them.

Between that, they were clearly better, but then again they are the best team in the world. Still, that gulf in quality which was so often mentioned here didn't seem so big.

I think we will get better and that we looked at times more settled team than last season. As for negatives, some of the decision making from the players were frustrating and at times we seemed to lack creativity in our team.
Pogba shooting from 30 yards when he has Mhki free on the right, Lukaku going for a ball and into an offside instead of running for an easy tap-in into the box. On the other side, Matic decision making, positioning, and passing were great and he stood out from the start. I thought Valencia, De Gea, Fellaini and even Mhki were good to decent. Even Herrera who didn't have the best of the game did win the ball with that pressure for a clear chance in the first half and set up an excellent chance for Pogba.

Hate losing, especially the finals, but all in all, more positives than negatives IMO.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 623 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Real Madrid 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Real Madrid 2:1 Man Utd