EL W Europa League Group E

Real Sociedad 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 November 2022

JustinC00

All those blaming EtH for the tactics, what can he do when the ref doesn't allow football to continue? He had to change because the ref was lost and was giving every single contact a yellow card to a United player. He had to adapt, and I'm very pleased he tried something different.
Nice to see a well thought out logical comment in here.

Very limited in what he could do in attack with Martial, Antony and Sancho out. Maguire was just a desperation move hoping me we could get a corner/cross in and get a header.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Better hope we draw Sporting, Salzburg or Shaktar now. We'll have a chance against any of that lot.

Any of the other 5 clubs and we're going out.
We’ve beaten arsenal, Liverpool, and spurs this season. Utd in a big game can beat any of those sides. I hope we get barcelona

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We can't win the Europa League with these forwards in the squad. Not enough goals in us.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Only beating Omonia 3-2 and 1-0 had a factor in it too as it was the GD that was the tiebreaker in the end
Yeah but I think Sociedad had those games far easier too. Omonia and Sherrif were going to defend for their lives against us. They’re not going to care as much against Sociedad.

Gaiialia

I see a good point after today's game: we are one step closer to be a team who wins these games 0-2 or 0-3 easily if we need to. The first half was a solid point from this team.

It was really annoying watching RS players complaining about everything. And I didn't get the yellows for Licha and Ronaldo.

Next leg I'm all in for any team but Barcelona or Sevilla.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We’ve beaten arsenal, Liverpool, and spurs this season. Utd in a big game can beat any of those sides. I hope we get barcelona
Why would you hope for the hardest draw? Especially given Martinez can't even play in the first leg. That could be Lewandowski up against Maguire.

Redderp

EtH made some very questionable decisions this match. The formation change made us worse. It didn’t look like they have trained that formation at all. We actually created less with that formation.

Also some weird subs. McTominay came on and didn’t really figured out where he should play. Just aimlessly wandered about. Garnacho was done early in the second half, but instead of putting Rashford in his best position he came on as a CAM. So we also kept Ronaldo on and that didn’t work at all. This experiment with Rashford behind Ronaldo needs to stop.

Then we later got Maguire on as Striker and Fred in instead of Eriksen. I thought Eriksen had an awful game. Bad first touch all night and his passing was way off. But he is still one of our best at crossing and we just got a goal from a setpiece and a cross, both from Eriksen. So it was so weird to take him off when we just decided to play hoofball and cross it to Maguire.

This was probably the worst in game management we have seen from EtH. Every change he made felt like the wrong one and made us worse.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Shame we played them first time earlier in Ten Hags reign. Know we'd one PL games by then but maybe would've been different. Also refs shite x2. But at the end of the day, we didn't do enough but rather than say "we were garbage", "we're crap", "manager makes stupid decisions", I'll take the positives of another win (great habit to have) and Garnacho showing he is ready to be more involved in first team squad.

Pain having two more games in a stacked season and hope we go through and have a shot at a trophy.

But .... if we don't (and again, noting it's a manic season), I'll gladly take a few less midweek games and top 4. CL qualification more important than a semi in the EL... helps with Summer transfers.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Yeah United have no injuries whatsoever
The depth of players is obviously not the same.

I guess we’re into the last 16 having won 5 games unlike Barca entering having been battered in Europe. They will be entering with eye patches and busted lips.
I gave my opinion of today's match. Barcelona has nothing to do here.

Trip721

First real test for ETH and he fluffed it. Concerning.
How do you "fluffed it" when you have limited attacking options. Ronaldo isn't what he used to be, no Martial, Rashford for limited time. This team has only scored 3 goals three times this season, we're lacking the ability to score goals.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Didn't play any football after Ten Hag's second half changes. Pointless commenting on what happened from there cos we basically just booted it forward, as the 3 at the back couldn't play out.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Why would you hope for the hardest draw? Especially given Martinez can't even play in the first leg. That could be Lewandowski up against Maguire.
It’s a big game and one that I would enjoy. Besides to win the thing you will need to play them probably at some stage

Hopefully it will be Varane and Lindelof who line up in place of Martinez

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Which sitter? The lob in the first half would never have stood.

It’s a shocking VAR call that has cost us.
Actually, we needed one more goal against any team and we'd have been through on GD. We barely beat Omonia at home. If we battered them, the win today would have been enough

Robertd0803

God damn it. Raging.

Great goal and all we should be talking about is Garnacho, not the fiasco it turned out to be.

The Irish Connection

Changes were bizarre. Easy in hindsight I guess but Rashford on for Garnacho or Ronaldo would have made more sense.

LordSpud

I think we are winning games at the moment despite Ronaldo. Just doesnt suit us with Ten Hag as manager.

Anyway, if the Board now decides against buying anyone in January I would personally throw the EL. Seriously if he we cant get another striker I would just focus on the League and Top 4 that way.

Ghostrider318

Shouldve just bought on Rashford for VDB and kept the width. IDK what we went for in the second half and lost all control and couldnt get anything going.

Also two massive decisions against us both against RSO.

Redderp

All those blaming EtH for the tactics, what can he do when the ref doesn't allow football to continue? He had to change because the ref was lost and was giving every single contact a yellow card to a United player. He had to adapt, and I'm very pleased he tried something different.
Every change he did made us worse. Honestly he kinda lost the plot tonight. I think it’s fair to criticize when the manager makes some questionable decisions.

Remember he gets praised when he gets it right. There’s nothing wrong at pointing out that he got it completely wrong tonight.

flameinthesun

Well that was embarrassing from both the players and EtH.

On the other hand there definitely has been a drop off in terms of energy from our squad which I can only imagine is partly from this crazy schedule. Just gotta hope we can push before the world cup break.

Its also clear we need a good few more signings.

Chief123

Actually, we needed one more goal against any team and we'd have been through on GD. We barely beat Omonia at home. If we battered them, the win today would have been enough
If the Sociedad game at old trafford was our last game, we would all say the VAR call cost us. It’s only because it’s in the distance being the first game we aren’t blaming it on that game.

davidmichael

Yet another example of Ronaldo and Fernandes not being able to play together as both were awful and outside of Ronaldo’s assist both contributed absolutely nothing.

I’d say this was ETH’s poorest game tactically as the substitution in bringing Lindelof off and Casemiro in defence stopped our control of the game, having VDB start was also very odd as was the original formation.

Only positive to take from it was us getting an away win in Spain which is somewhere we’ve always struggled to win in, I fancy us against most of the teams that finished third in their CL groups though.

bosskeano

We won a fuking away match in Europe, in Spain.....and people are pissing themselves at ETH that he fuked it up. you guys are mental!

the shithousery of Sociedad killed the second half and Ronaldo/Bruno are in such poor form right now which didn't help either

Giggsyking

I feel sorry for a great team like Real Madrid to have to play these teams every week, no wonder Perez want a super league.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 166 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Real Sociedad 0:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Real Sociedad 1:2 Man Utd