CL L Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 1:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Tue, 13 March 2018

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sevilla deserved this over their play over two legs. No doubt about it. It was a strange game. Started well enough and then they took over possession and control of the game. It was as if we were bystanders waiting for the inevitable to happen. Mou should have realized this sooner and changed tactics and or players. He didn’t and we paid for it. I am naturally disappointed but going to give us one more season and transfer window to make things happen. Probably the worst display from us at Old Trafford as long as I can remember and that’s over a few decades!

Another thing. What will really be typical is that City get them in the next round and destroy them. This will complete the misery.
We would have been out of the tie in the first leg if Sevilla were more clinical and DDG wasn't a genius. I also agree City or even Liverpool would tear them to pieces. Both those teams finished off their ties in the first leg, so could take it easier in the second, even, as in City's case rest players.

Chuck_B

In all my years watching United I have never seen such a cowardly performance as the one I witnessed yesterday in the UCL from us. The blame lies entirely with Mourinho, he's quite simply a coward... I would understand if we were playing a Barca or Madrid and he resorted to such pathetic tactics. But to play in such a cowardly way against a average Spanish team is quite simply a disgrace.

We as a club have built our ethos and traditions on attacking football. Football that made many of us fall in love with the club, no matter what corner of the planet we come from. The performance last night was the most cowardly performance I've ever seen from us in the competition. With our financial muscle that is unforgivable, especially against a average team like Sevilla.

I personally can't wait to see him depart so we can finally bring in a modern, forward thinking, progressive coach who will align with our traditions of playing attacking football. Tuchel and Pocchettino would be the two i'd look at...

Mourinho Out...
Agreed. That was a disgraceful performance and he has the cheek to play it all down in his post match interview. Woodward won't have the back bome to sack him + can't see him leaving. Jesus!! it was one of the most frustrating 2 legs of football I have ever witnessed.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The fact that we're out of the Champions League already was the first thing I thought about this morning... urgh.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We would have been out of the tie in the first leg if Sevilla were more clinical and DDG wasn't a genius. I also agree City or even Liverpool would tear them to pieces. Both those teams finished off their ties in the first leg, so could take it easier in the second, even, as in City's case rest players.
Agreed, but recall that Liverpool weren't able to finish Sevilla off in the group stages. 2-2 and a 3-3 after being 3-0 in front.

They set it up like a cup tie and had their game plan to perfection. The way we failed to respond though after a good opening though was....:rolleyes:

Inigo Montoya

The fact that we're out of the Champions League already was the first thing I thought about this morning... urgh.
But consider.

Did you want us to progress because we had a chance?

You want us to play a decent side?

You just want to see Utd play again because like me, you kinda live for the next match...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
But consider.

Did you want us to progress because we had a chance?

You want us to play a decent side?

You just want to see Utd play again because like me, you kinda live for the next match...
Pretty much... plus, I couldn't go to Old Trafford last night, so more then anything, I just wanted to get to go to a big Champions League game against a big side for the first time in however many years.

pauldyson1uk

Sanchez and Pogba simply not fit to wear the shirt,strike me as the ultimate mercenaries,Valencia was a better no.7 than Sanchez thats how bad he is,Pogba is just way overrated!
I am going to stuck my neck out and say that one of these 2 will not be playing for United next season, there maybe a problem between the pair of them ? they may juet nat be able to both play in the same team , I dont know, but something is wrong with the pair of them.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Bring back Moyes:

"Moyes’ United outperforms Mourinho’s United in the Champions League. Moyes still United’s best CL manager since Ferguson."

Inigo Montoya

Pretty much... plus, I couldn't go to Old Trafford last night, so more then anything, I just wanted to get to go to a big Champions League game against a big side for the first time in however many years.
Well,like me you'll ave to wait for another year.

We're a long way from competing, let's face it

Inigo Montoya

Bring back Moyes:

"Moyes’ United outperforms Mourinho’s United in the Champions League. Moyes still United’s best CL manager since Ferguson."
Yes but he would have got us relegated:smirk:

Inigo Montoya

I am going to stuck my neck out and say that one of these 2 will not be playing for United next season, there maybe a problem between the pair of them ? they may juet nat be able to both play in the same team , I dont know, but something is wrong with the pair of them.
It's a bit harsh to blame Pogba when he hasn't started our last two games.

Sanchez however, is being shoe horned into a side

VP

I'm still unable to digest yesterday's shambles.

Worst European performance I've ever seen. At least with Olympiakos, we ended up going through.

Ashley R1+O

Ugh that was a shit way to go out. These players have to take full responsibility, both teams were equally shite and they chalked in a couple of flukers. The second especially, feel for De Gea there. Shocker.

Oh well, we pick ourselves up and go again next year. Hopefully a bit more bottle in the team next year, Jose can't do it for them.

Reiver

I just can't understand our approach to the game. After the opening period, the match became a copy of the 1st leg - where we were lucky to come away with a draw. So why do the same in this leg? Even if we had scraped through, we were living on the edge, and the tactic could scarcely have been justified.
I usually defend Mourinho and can point to individual players who were below par. Whilst there were definitely poor performances last night, even if we had played better, I think we were playing the wrong way. You could see this as Sevilla got on the break, time after time.
I can't defend Mourinho here. This tie, both legs, has me questioning him more than anything previously.

Lyrical Einstein

Ah. I saw this result coming ever since the first leg result.

It baffled me how some of the cafe seemed to suggest that 0-0 was a decent result to take back home and I wonder what was the logic behind this. Maybe Mourinho is right, that this level of performance/result is just normal (although then I'd ask why do we show such ambition in the transfer market to purchase players for 70m+) and fans have conditioned themselves to that so they are willing to take a 0-0 back home to the second leg. Maybe that was just a desperate attempt by fans and Mourinho to justify being completely shit.

mc moon81

Invite teams on to you and eventually you get found out. Absolutely embarrassing and Jose is a coward, all that attacking talent at the club and you force them to play like that. He should be ashamed

JG3001

I've said elsewhere on the forum and have thought for 30 odd years now, that UEFA should knock the away goals rule on the head as the team that plays away in the second leg has an unfair advantage, or they trial what they do in the English League Cup where the away goals rule only applies after extra-time, it's still not ideal, but a lot fairer
I agree. I’ve said for some number of years now that they should scrap it. I don’t believe in the “my draw/loss is better than your draw/loss” thinking in the away goals rule. The result, not score, is all that should matter. If the aggregate score is tied you should play extra time and penalties.

TrueRed79

Lads, he played with two defensive midfielders at home, against Seville :lol: If that doesn't send alarm bells ringing in your head then i don't know what will. Goes against all the traditions of our club to be so negative over two legs against a mediocre team like Seville, who leaked 12 goals in the CL already. He's simply not the right man for a club like us. That performance was ugly and not up to the standards expected. Wrong man at the wrong time for us. You can quote me in the future, he will not bring back the PL of CL while he's here. The man is a busted flush.

PoTMS

I'm still unable to digest yesterday's shambles.

Worst European performance I've ever seen. At least with Olympiakos, we ended up going through.
This is definitely worse than Olympiakos, courtesy of us being pathetic both legs.

lardass

Disgraceful, the worst united performance at home I ever seen. No intention to attack, no intention to go and win the game, it's just beyond comprehension! If this was PSG, Real, Barca, the fans wouldn't tolerate it and the manager would be sacked, Jose has the unbelievable nerve to say the team played well!! Please, enough is enough, he has to go, I'd rather lose games 2-3 and go out fighting than this utter shower of anti-football. Then he has a go at the fans for lack of atmosphere, well I was there last night and at no single point did I feel compelled to get out my seat as their was absolutely nothing to excite or get the fans motivated. Jose utterly accountable, I only hope he fans start to get on his back now, this is Man Utd for gods sake......

Denis' cuff

Jose, I like you but ffs.... I know we have a shit defence but the midfield would be better employed in a creative mode rather than protecting a 0-0 start.

Ddg: mate, you won’t get the bends if you leave your fecking goal line

Rommers: I love you

The rest, feck off apart from mad Eric, especially Pogba and your shit of an agent.

What it’s like to be not United.

montpelier

No, I can't agree. If we were any more negative, we'd have had eleven men on the goal line. We should be taking the game to a team like Sevilla at Old Trafford. Press them, close them down and attack. We have the players to do it.
I don't think we do have the players to do it. A lot of them are not quite good enough & those that are good enough seem to have difficulty producing it. The Manager doesn't help he's not exactly the type who gets carried of the battle out on his shield.

We have a chance in games if the long ball stuff clicks or from some individual contribution but we don't outplay anybody at the football in order to win. Or create chances easily by cutting through teams with passing & movement.

Canagel

Looking at their 2nd goal again... That marking from the corner from Bailly/Matic was pitiful. Completely free header and then a scramble for Young and they had an easy tap in basically as the back post. Awful.
Matic is shite at defending corners I've noticed. Always loses his man. Even at the weekend he let Van Dijk free on two occasions and we were lucky not to concede.

ChrisNelson

First UCL knockout tie at Old Trafford for 4 years and we have to sit through that...

I heard a lot of people raving about how good a result 0-0 was in the first leg away, but the reality is that against a side 5th in La Liga it wasn't - we needed the away goal. I think I'm right in saying they've conceded 5 goals in a match on 4 occasions this season?

Jose didn't seem concerned at all coming back home with that result in his pocket but as someone so experienced in this competition he should have known that it was still very much on a knife edge. The decision to start Fellaini, based not only on what we needed from the match but also his lack of match sharpness was completely baffling.

The substitutions were too little, too late and there was just no inspiration coming from the touchline. It was so disappointing not just from what we saw on the pitch, but also off it. Jose doesn't strike me as being overly gutted about the result, which he should be. After a result and performance like that I want my United manager to be stood there nearly in tears.

He will try and justify the season by saying we've gone from 7th to 2nd, and we might still win the FA Cup. But the reality is that last night is so, so far from acceptable and the manager has to take a lot of the responsibility.

Rajma

Icing on the cake gonna be and you just know it as it's written in the starts Liverpool drawing Sevilla in the next round and destroying them completely.

Imran Mamdani

I was at the game yesterday, and no one should have to watch that mediocrity on a first CL experience.

First half I thought we were very slow to get moving, lazy, out of ideas, no strategy. Alexis did a lot of running and young with his usual mindless clearances ending up nowhere, and lingard was nowhere to be seen.

Second half was a lot better in comparison but we feel asleep like how pool did and conceded 2 quick goals. Lukaku missed a sitter later on, but we should have never allowed them to dominate us at HOME. I love Bailly, when fit, the guy is a rock.

Overall, disappointed to say the least, bolstered by Mou's comments post-match - it was so blatantly obvious the team lacked ideas, plan and game play.

That said, FA cup remains our only chance of silverware this season, if that.

ChrisNelson

Icing on the cake gonna be and you just know it as it's written in the starts Liverpool drawing Sevilla in the next round and destroying them completely.
There's no doubt in my mind if City or Liverpool draw Sevilla in the next round they will defeat them by 3 or 4 goals on aggregate. Then again, we had the quality to do the same but IMO were mismanaged.

witchtrials

Though near the end, when he was asked to clarify "the hiding" comments, Lukaku said he meant players were disappointed in the dressing room.
I took that just to be his way of not being pushed into criticising individual team mates.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Lukaku speaking truth.

tony54

Is supporting a team meant to be this depressing because that is what it has become for me. And, yet there are millions of supporters who happily support teams that are always in the bottom half of the leagues without a murmur. I think the difference is that at least these lower teams at least show some spirit as a team and entertain.
Mourino has to go, I want to be entertained not depressed on a weekly basis.

lardass

Jose ruining world class players, restricting them, allowing them no freedom, it’s shameful really.

Feel for Sanchez, what he’s being asked to do and where he’s being asked to do it on the pitch is not natural to him. Same can be said for Pogba.

No point in acquiring these players and playing that way, no point at all.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Since Montella took over in the end of December the team conceded 5 goals against three opponents (Betis, Eibar, Atletico). Earlier this season Real, Valencia and Spartak all won by big margins as well. Sevilla is occasionally playing well, but overall the team is not in a good spot. The defense is leaky as feck, while the team struggles to be efficiant in the final third. The strongest part of the team is the partnership of Banega and N'Zonzi in midfield; both can play fine football and are very elegant on the ball. The problem is that Correa, Sarabia, Muriel and el Mudo hardly do anything with the ball in the final third. Muriel works hard and is good on the ball, but comical bad infront of the goal. Correa lacks any end-product. Sarabia is Sevilla's lindgard (=motivated, works hard and moves a lot but limited). Vazquez lacks end-product, is very slow and takes way too much time to do anything. Lenglet had a great second game, but he was forced to make plenty of last-ditch efforts to stop United. Thats always the sign of a weak defence. If any team puts pressure on this back4, they'll make mistakes left, right and center. I have seen this sadly way too many times this season.

When Sevilla is allowed to play and enough players have a good day, the team is pretty decent, especially because Banega is a great player. Otherwise things can get ugly (like they already did 6-7 times this season).

United's game-plan and performance against this Sevilla team were atrocious. Its not even that you defended properly. You just relied on Sevilla's weakness in the final third who usually don't know what to do in this area of the pitch. More decisive players could have run havoc with all the space and time. Banega and N'Zonzi were allowed to play their game without much interference, while the defense wasn't really tested. United simply refused to build-up through the midfield. The players were hiding from the ball and struggled to keep/pass it under any pressure. Lukaku played well in the second match; the defenders bounced off him like little boys, but he had no-one to link-up with. It was extremely static. Too many players didn't do anything when not having the ball.

To me it looked like United was not interested in this match. They approached this game like a training match, which allowed Sevilla to cover their worst problems (everybody saw how freaking toothless this attack is). It was a very poor game for this stage of the champions league. United, while not being spectacular by any means, played way better in the past. Two decent performances would have been enough to win against this Sevilla side.For some reasons they didn't show up.

stu_1992

Last night was a shambles really, and that's true for both legs of the tie. Once again we didn't show up at all. Which I could somewhat understand, though not excuse, if it were a Premier League game against a small club as the league is over. But this is the Champions League ffs, a knockout game. Yes not the most glamorous opposition, but it was a game there for the taking and we didn't even try to grab hold of it. Instead we were passive, and played as if we expected the result to be a formality that didn't require effort. Well we played the ultimate price for that attitude and that needs to be sorted for the future. Whether that's coming from the manager or the players, I'm unsure.

Only player I'd really credit last night was Lukaku, even without the goal. Fellaini, Sanchez and Pogba (in the part he played) probably the biggest culprits last night. The decision to put Rashford on the right where everyone knows he isn't as effective is bizarre too.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Utter fecking toilet performance from United. Bar Lukaku it looked a complete shambles, i'd like to say that I was annoyed at full time but you could see how this car crash was going to end. If it was 2-1 loss at home to Barca or any of the top sides then you can kind of accept it but FML what was that all about.

Sanchez looks way off the mark. Why on earth would you want your most creative players sitting on the inside left chanel and only getting the ball when he chased back for it. Pogba, I genuinely think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than what we all know. He is out of the limelight at the moment for reasons I think none of us know. I don't buy into loss of form because of Sanchez either. If he's an A lister then he would be saying feck that, thats my position, and im keeping it.

Rom and Eric looked the only ones giving a single feck last night. Whats wrong with going out twatting a team in the first 45 mins then shutting up shop. I've seen some shit in my time going back to Big Ron, I've seen Dennis Bailey score a hat trick on new years day but this ranks up there as one of the worst performances I have seen

Godfather

Not too bothered about going out. We had no chance of winning it anyway. But the way we are playing football for weeks and months now really is worrying. Pathetic stuff at times

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
That was the worst, most cowardly performance I have ever seen from a United team in a European match at Old Trafford. Players just dicking about, rolling the ball across the pitch in their own half, strolling as if they were 3-0 up when the game was 0-0 well into the second half. Inexcusably, this complete lack of urgency continued after Seville's first goal and quickly led to their second goal. For the first time ever in 55 years of watching United, I got up after the second goal and left the ground. If the highly paid players and manager can't be arsed, then why should I, after having paid £42 to watch the team play like a Van Gaal team in a must win game. Only Bailly and Lukaku can come away from the match with any credit. Mourinho needs to completely change his attitude and tactics immediately, otherwise its time for a new manager who is in keeping with present day football tactics.
How is the mood at the stadium towards Mourinho? Most still behind him or what do you think?

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 465 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Sevilla