EL L Europa League Semi-Final

Sevilla 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 August 2020

RedDevil@84

If we had Shaw, things would end differently.

Shaw would never be beaten like that for the 2nd goal.
He would probably have been sent off by the time of 2nd goal, with all the play acting that was happening on the field. His customary yellow would have been in first 10 mins and then 2nd would have happened.

Anyways, no point in wishing for people who had no chance to play.

manunited1919

With the way we currently play, we get the majority of our width from our attacking players. Having said that, if Wan-Bissaka does improve offensively (and he does have the potential given some good moments + assists from the right wing), I can see us relying less on an attacking player to provide some width.

Defensively, I don't see an issue with his "lunges". They're quite calculated, and there was only one foul that he conceded because of it. People used to praise him for exactly those actions.
These lunges are sometimes inside the box, today there was one of those. They work for him right now, at least most of the time. But if he loses half-a-step, or 1/8-of-a-step, or 1/20th-of-a-step, we will suddenly be conceding penalties. My point is that a good or great RB will never lunge in several times a game, as they will be in the correct position to defend (or attack) 99% of the time. I don’t remember Evra having to lunge in constantly, do you?

manunited1919

Err.. would you mind if I say you're wrong here?
That was his problem the first season here. But not a complete wussy anymore. Once in a while he will put in a nice crunching tackle. Of course, compared to Vidic he IS a complete wussy. But then so is Maguire.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
These lunges are sometimes inside the box, today there was one of those. They work for him right now, at least most of the time. But if he loses half-a-step, or 1/8-of-a-step, or 1/20th-of-a-step, we will suddenly be conceding penalties. My point is that a good or great RB will never lunge in several times a game, as they will be in the correct position to defend (or attack) 99% of the time. I don’t remember Evra having to lunge in constantly, do you?
No, Evra didn't lunge as much, that's true. With Wan-Bissaka, however, he's successful more often than not. If he starts missing more of his tackles, then it'd be time for him to adjust. As it stands, he's calculated enough to not miss so many tackles, and they stop most of the opposition's attacks. If he starts missing more of those tackles, however, then he'll have to change his game.

croadyman

Typical we waited weeks for a decent performance again,then when it came we cannot finish a chance to save our lives

Devil may care

we should have won the game in the first ten minutes of the second half, frustrating stuff given we played some realy enjoyable football. The whole back four were poor on the winner, mistakes galore.

Charlie Foley

We miss so many fecking chances. What was it, 46 shots in our last 2 games and only scored 2 Bruno penalties?

I try not to criticise a striker when he misses a chance he created himself but we miss too many.

how many goals would prime Solskjær score for Solskjær’s United?

Alek M

Da manic one
We played well. Dominated the game. Created point blank chances. Once we missed those sitters I knew we would lose.

Ole should have subbed Sooner but he trusts the chemistry of these 11. You can blame Lindelof and Harry but how about Rashford, woeful. Martial missed a lot.

Fred was quite good.

Shimo

Not ready through the posts yet. My take on the game was we were far away the better team. De Ge had but one save to make. The 2 goals were simply atrocious defending otherwise this Sevilla team were impotent as an attacking force. Keeper made some good saves or on another day we were out of of sight and no one would have said it was undeserved.

As much as I like to criticise Ole on how bad he is on subs, we had that game, there wasn't much he needed to tweak. Once they scored, maybe he should have thrown on Ighalo on quicker, it's strange how he's fallen out of favor.

Despite the result, to me it showed at least the first 13-14 players (Fred for Matic, Williams for Shaw, DDG/Romero) we have a quality base. However, it also showed how reluctant Ole was to use his bench to secure the win even before they scored the 2nd. Getting some options on the attacking end is going to be of utmost importance - that and a CB.

Sevilla did not deserve that but, that's football.

POF

Very disappointing but it's the sort of defeat you have to accept when you have a young inexperienced team. The key is to learn from it and use the experience to build resilience for next season.

Those chances early in the second half decided the game. If one of those went in, I think United would have won easily.

The Sevilla keeper had an amazing game but the finishing wasn't good enough. You'll never beat Bono if you're not clinical from "The Edge" of the penalty area . . . . .

I'll get my coat.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Should have gone with back 5. You just know you can't trust these 2 CBs at the back against decent teams.

Fully Fledged

Great performance apart from putting the ball in the net.

We dominated most of the game and created some great chances but hit most of those chances straight at the goalkeeper.

We are a young side that will improve with age and playing together. I think the future looks bright.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If one thing has stood out this year, it's that when we make a mistake defensively, we never get away with it. Today we played a good game and were in complete control with and without the ball. Two mistakes and two goals later and we are out of the tournament...

Tarrou

Gutted

very strange game, hardly anyone played well but we created tonnes of chances and limited them to a few

still, this team has come a long way from two years ago where a big game like this would be backs against the wall and hope to pinch a goal

Ole clearly doesn't trust his bench at all which is a problem - that needs to be addressed this summer otherwise we're in for a tough season

I'd be tempted to abandon the Sancho transfer and invest our budget in 3/4 quality additions instead

first choice centre back
AM/wide rotation option
back-up left back

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Disappointed to lose but honestly, not overly saddened by this one. Yes it would have been nice to win it but feck it, we're in the CL next season, we'll get a slightly longer rest before the next season and we hopefully can focus on improving the squad now.

Clear as day that Ole doesn't rate many of the players outside the first 11, and rightly so, the drop off in quality is steep. Hopefully he can continue his excellent work of clearing out some of those guys and getting some talent in.

Happy to see the players get a rest now - brutal season and for quite a few of the last games we've looked absolutely knackered.

rollingstoned1

Result says they won. The details show we allowed them to win through our own tardy and untidy habits.
agreed, i was a little calm before going to bed yday but this sticks in the craw after waking up. Ultimately if Ole doesn't trust his bench players we need to offload all of them and get people in who he does. We clearly looked gassed and out of it by the 70th minute and we kept saying how tired we were throught the past 3 weeks as though we couldn't wait to get back to the off season break despite trying to do just enough to win. This won't cut it against a motivated side who know how to game their way through a knockout when you need that extra 5% from somewhere. In that context it is easy to see lindelof's mistake and our whole defence trying to autopilot it.

cyril C

We played well. Dominated the game. Created point blank chances. Once we missed those sitters I knew we would lose.

Ole should have subbed Sooner but he trusts the chemistry of these 11. You can blame Lindelof and Harry but how about Rashford, woeful. Martial missed a lot.

Fred was quite good.
Rashford has been woeful since Restart, or he never been able to perform at the same level before his injury. Was James any better? Probably not, but then could have been sub at 70th or so.

Water Melon

We miss so many fecking chances. What was it, 46 shots in our last 2 games and only scored 2 Bruno penalties?

I try not to criticise a striker when he misses a chance he created himself but we miss too many.

how many goals would prime Solskjær score for Solskjær’s United?
Solskjaer as a player was great under SAF. Sokskjaer under current Solskjaer would be different in my opinion.

youngrell

I was wondering how long you’d take to show us the stats. Listen, he got better second half but he was very average first half. Created nothing. Gave the ball away. He started playing better once Sevilla retreated a bit and we had them on the ropes a bit but it’s not World Class or even top level stuff from him. There were players worse than him tonight but he is supposed to be our main man. Time to cash in. World class players step up when they need to. He doesn’t.
Keep peddling your narrative pal, but you either have a bad memory or are just blinkered because you don’t want to see or admit that he played well.

He continually found an out ball for the team, drove through the midfield with some very good dribbling and clever passing and as the stats show, he created opportunities.

He literally created the chance at the end of the first half that Rashford screwed up.

He’s had a quiet few games at the tail end of the season but last night he was on song.

zizou81

Preference would have been to be knocked out of this tournament earlier now to be fresh for the Premier League. Liverpool have the edge cuz theyve had an august free month. We played this mickey mouse tournament just to get exhausted again and no trophy to show for it.

Only positive is it highlighting obvious issues.

Need Ole to grow some balls and make subs 15 mins earlier at least and show some tactical awareness, need to strengthen spine of our team, and FB positions, need jadon, need a no 9 to change things up, although ogalo could have made the difference if ole gave him a shot and start playing more direct

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Disappointing stuff.
We clearly were the better team and showed some good ball movement so I was positively surprised as I expected Sevilla to better on the ball than us. In the end they had 2 chances and got 2 goals. But stranger things like that can happen in such tournaments, especially with this one-game mode. Fortunately we qualified through top 4 in the league and did not put our eggs into the EL basket.
Both goals came from poor defending by us and I believe with Shaw instead of Williams we would not have lost. On the other hand Bayern also received 2 goals against Barca which did not stop them from putting them to the sword so while our defense was a bit of a mess I would blame our attackers as much.
Our midfield looked really good, all 3 of them. Decision making in the final third is still sloppy, Rashford especially had a night to forget. On his day one of the most exciting players, but he is just so frustrating more often than not.

RedAlways78

Again we have relied on a penalty to get a goal. I want to see more goals being scored that are not penalties.

meamth

They threw so many bodies on the line when we had clear cut chances, annoyed the feck out of me.

If Rashford or Martial can learn from that experience, just fake shoot once in a while, send the defenders the wrong way before taking the shot.

Strelok

Martial on another day would had a hattrick. We went for the kill in the second half but couldn't score so it's normal that we lost. It's quite funny that the commentator started so say "United should be more careful, they went over attacking but an error now would cost them the whole game" right after Greenwood lost the ball which lead to the second goal.

Tbh I don't blame any of our defenders for the second goal. If you go over attacking and don't score then one way or another you'll concede. There are usually huge gasps left behind if you over commit your players to attack. It's a gamble.

We were the better team but not the tougher one. Both this quad and Ole are still pretty inexperienced. Hope they'd learn in the future. Imo it's not a big deal that we lost yesterday but if we don't strengthen in this windows then it'll be a serious problem.

simplyared

We were up against a strong outfit yesterday. Sevilla are top 4 PL easy. So on the whole we put in a very good performance imho. Williams had a difficult task from the beginning. Navas is top notch and the other guy on the right flank was pretty good too. To think William's young age, he can come out of that with his head up high imo. Mason is unique! So much talent!! Fernandes our best player! Still need strengthening in some areas. RB, MF (Fred just doesn't cut it for me), supporting CB alongside Maguire.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Great performance apart from putting the ball in the net.

We dominated most of the game and created some great chances but hit most of those chances straight at the goalkeeper.

We are a young side that will improve with age and playing together. I think the future looks bright.
I remember back in the early to mid 90s when we were falling short. There came a tipping point or a couple. Juve I think.

Its a process. Incremental improvements with every season. Thats all we can ask for in view of our financial parameters.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Were unlucky. Their two scorers are hardly prolific but the goals we conceded were poor. Attacking wise were were better and that happens. Anyone that watched early Sir Alex teams knows the pain we went through in Europe at times, because of games like this where we create and create but don't score. We won the premiership first time after losing a league to leeds in 1992 so we can come back stronger but we need luck and we need a few players.

People talking about subs and such but that's the problem when you start with your best team - Matic aside perhaps. We just got to move on and next season maybe focus on certain competitions because quality wise we were too stretched. We should have been comfortable second half but got to take your chances.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Very disappointing result but I don’t feel as bad as I’d have done had we not showed up. I actually enjoyed it as a game until their second went in. I thought some of our play was superb.

I thought our midfield looked great. Fred played really well, Pogba showed some real class at times and Bruno looked up for it.

Ultimately we’ve had a good season, we have developed well in the last 12 months and crucially we’ve secured CL football again.

Lets get rested now and start work on next season. No doubt there will be some new additions as Ole has pretty much condemned most, if not all of our second string, it’s pretty clear what he thinks of most players beyond the starting 11 so we need to add some depth of quality.

Judas

Open to offers
Perfect display of how limited the squad is. We're short of quality all over the pitch once the first team have been deployed and it hasn't worked out. The finishing was appalling, not going to have a go at Martial too much as he's been brilliant lately, but he should have buried pretty much all the chances he wasted.

The lack of subs was typical of Ole really, but then you look at the bench and you understand why he thinks we've got more chance of crafting something with the knackered starting eleven out there.

Disappointing to go out, but honestly it just made me more worried for the season to come. It's going to be exhausting and as a squad, we're not even close to being ready.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Really not good enough last night, when we missed chances I said to my friend at the time we will be punished for it.

Greenwood showed signs of inexperience going for the wrong option too.

You'd have to say at this point a major trophy next year needs to happen, even an FA Cup at this point.

Really disappointing performance, can't rely on just penalties.

Raw

Really not good enough last night, when we missed chances I said to my friend at the time we will be punished for it.
It seems like it happens far too often, that it's become very predictable.

We get a very very good period in the game where we create loads of chances but keep pissing it away, then we revert to standing off and ultimately get punished for it. Southampton at home was another example of it I feel.

It adds so much pressure on the defence to have near perfect games when it could really be avoided if we were up by 3 or so goals. For all the talk about Ole teaching our forwards how to finish, we're still far too wasteful.

Judas

Open to offers
Our obsession of scoring the perfect goal is often infuriating, too many extra passes at times instead of just having a shot. Guilty of that far too often.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It seems like it happens far too often, that it's become very predictable.

We get a very very good period in the game where we create loads of chances but keep pissing it away, then we revert to standing off and ultimately get punished for it. Southampton at home was another example of it I feel.

It adds so much pressure on the defence to have near perfect games when it could really be avoided if we were up by 3 or so goals. For all the talk about Ole teaching our forwards how to finish, we're still far too wasteful.
Agreed completely, and at this point it's not even frustrating, it's expected.

It's not like along time under SAF where you knew they would be under the cosh for the last 15 minutes and it would be wave after wave of attacks, at this point it's expected the team will fizzle out, there'll be nothing on the bench.

You go from Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, to James, Ighalo and Martial and you know it's over at that point.

Raw

Agreed completely, and at this point it's not even frustrating, it's expected.

It's not like along time under SAF where you knew they would be under the cosh for the last 15 minutes and it would be wave after wave of attacks, at this point it's expected the team will fizzle out, there'll be nothing on the bench.

You go from Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, to James, Ighalo and Martial and you know it's over at that point.
Yep definitely missing that whole "throwing the kitchen sink at them" attitude towards the end of games. I suppose we'd need to bring back that fear factor teams had against us, and that starts with bolstering our squad. Imagine having to play against Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Bruno and Pogba all game knowing you're then having to deal with Greenwood, Grealish (just an example), whoever else coming off the bench. You'd be fecked mentally and physically.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I hate to have to say "I told you so" but I've been warning for weeks that Marital and Rashford's habit of missing one-on-one chances would cost us. True, I thought it might cost us a place in the top four, but they just are not natural goal-scorers. Ruud would have had a hat-trick.

I accept they are probably tired - in fact, lots of them looked out of fuel. The disappointing thing was Greenwood also didn't look to be anywhere near his sharpest.

The fact remains: we didn't take our chances and I pretty much guess everyone knew Seville would get one and take it. I was very worried when I saw de Jong coming on... it just felt he was going to break his recent blank spell.

I would normal say Ole didn't have a plan B, but to be fair we did create chances and in spells were excellent. Those saying Sevilla didn't deserve to win miss the point: they defended brilliantly and took the chances when they came along. That's pretty much european (indeed, knockout) football. And I said that a side that struggled against Copenhagen was facing a very tough battle.

The real problem is that we were shown up again as being far too one-dimensional with a squad that isn't nearly good enough to compete for next season's PL or CL. Amazing that some people are still defending Woodward. If we don't get Sancho and at least three more players, we will be in the same struggle next season. There was no one on the bench who I thought could come on and change things.

The really sad thing is that we reverted to early-season form once we went behind: we lost all composure and never looked like equalising.

I presume most people are slaughtering Lindelof for the winner - and he was to blame to an extent - but both their goals caught AWB sleeping. I thought he had a very poor game. Williams had a tough night on the opposite side but grew into it and won a lot of his battles.

I haven't looked back on comments, but I felt DDG could have done better at the first goal. Beaten at the near post again, had he flung himself full-length, I think he might have got hands to it. It might still have gone in but maybe not. That is possibly bit unfair but it did seem to squeeze through him.

Unlike Robbie Savage, I thought Pogba created too little. He rarely seems to dominate midfield in big matches.There were some nice touches and two or three great passes, but is that enough? We need to sort out where he is going to play (and how) and either stick to that or let him go if that's what he wants.

Over all, Sevilla looked fitter and stronger than us and the result and season show us exactly where we are: scrapping into top four and losing in semis. I know Ole wants to go with youth, but I still think we need at least one very experienced head in there. I reckon Zlatan, for instance, could have won us the game. It does leave me to wonder if we should (if the stories are true) try to poach Messi.

All in all, Ronaldo would have taken the chances, as would RvN (as I've said), as would RvP, as would Ole.

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

I remember back in the early to mid 90s when we were falling short. There came a tipping point or a couple. Juve I think.

Its a process. Incremental improvements with every season. Thats all we can ask for in view of our financial parameters.
Exactly.
I want to see these young players come good and that means that we have to put up with a bit of inconsistency until they mature.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd