LC W League Cup Final

Southampton 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 February 2017

GM K

Strange match indeed. Too many of the boys didn't come to the party early enough. Mata, Martial, Rojo, Valencia, Baily, Smalling.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I appreciate his attitude. Guy's a winner. Knows we lucked it. Don't expect him to go full blast the team on the pitch, like Fergie at Aberdeen, but he'll drive the team to do more.

I'm relieved. We came so close to f'n that up.
Fergie at Aberdeen is exactly what I was thinking of too. I think Jose will bring the players down to earth with a very controlled post-match interview.

Pogba purposely waiting for everyone else to lift it so he can be the last and make a show of it. I just don't like that. Celebrate it and enjoy the moment but don't pretend you weren't on the losing side of the midfield battle.

Ixion

Plenty of people posting the "Mourinho looks miserable" type posts.

Yeah, no shit. He sees it as a small trophy in the grand scheme of things and doesn't want to spunk his load celebrating a League Cup win. Besides, he typically doesn't overdo it when he wins the bigger trophies.
It's nothing to do with the level of the trophy, it's the performance. This is a guy that loves winning even the Community Shield.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Dogshit performance for about half the team. Luckily the other half showed up, and Ibra is just magic.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Not sure how you can say Herrera was rock solid, he was awful and lucky to stay on the field. Southampton totally bossed our midfield until carrick came on, lingard wasn't poor he did alright and scored hopefully mhiki returns soon and lingard can go back to the bench
I saw Herrera intercept more balls today alone than a lot of midfielders do in a whole season. (felt that way anyway).
Yes, he was lucky to stay on, but he was also unlucky to get his yellow card going by some of the other decisions the ref decided not to punish.
They bossed our midfield because they were more rested and had more men there, not because Ander didn't do his job, which he did.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Awful performance from us really. Sloppy, not much desire, no composure. Ibra saved us. Sucks for southampton but feck it, Champions!!:drool:

Zlatattack

Love the fact we won last minute. Manchester United haven't always played the other team off the pitch but we've always worked hard right to the end under the most difficult of conditions. I remember when we won the 1999 CL final, the tie was scrappy, Bayern looked on top, but we lifted the trophy because we scored the goals that mattered.

Reactions: SteveJ

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People are dwelling on the performance a little too much. IMO, a lot of that was down to the fact that, this was our fourth game in 12 days.

Needham

Great game, Southampton were morally courageous in being so direct, finally the defence could hold them off. We steadied very well, in retrospect.

Esquire

Poor, tired display. Southampton were great.

But we dug deep and did the business.
Yep. Saw some poor performances today. Pogba oh man was looking such a bust and Rojo was weak at LB. Who cares though. Big win. Let's get smashed.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I saw Herrera intercept more balls today alone than a lot of midfielders do in a whole season. (felt that way anyway).
Yes, he was lucky to stay on, but he was also unlucky to get his yellow card going by some of the other decisions the ref decided not to punish.
They bossed our midfield because they were more rested and had more men there, not because Ander didn't do his job, which he did.
Yeah I thought Herrera played well today

stu_1992

Delighted we got it done in the end. It was a poor performance in all honesty but no one will mind too much with that trophy in the cabinet.

Zlatan. My god. Is there anything this man can't do? I was absolutely loving his interviews afterwards too.

Esquire

People are dwelling on the performance a little too much. IMO, a lot of that was down to the fact that, this was our fourth game in 12 days.
True but you still would expect better individual and collective performances. That said, the difference was we had matchwinners. Biggest being Ibra of course.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Not sure how you can say Herrera was rock solid, he was awful and lucky to stay on the field. Southampton totally bossed our midfield until carrick came on, lingard wasn't poor he did alright and scored hopefully mhiki returns soon and lingard can go back to the bench
Also, Lingard was useless today. No idea how you saw him as alright today apart from his goal. But If that's your opinion, that's OK.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good point a lot of people will have missed mate.

No game in 2 weeks v us with loads is a pretty unbalanced and rare occurrence!

themoyesboy

Jose has the appearance of a man who agreed that if we win a trophy this year he won't be spending any money in the summer.

shaky

We picked a very good day to start finishing most of our good chances.

RedCurry

Lol DDG got denied to lift the trophy so many times. Can someone please post a picture of him finally lifting it? I need closure.

Mani

We showed some urgency at the end,zaltan clear leader of the lot unlucky saint you played really well.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Like 8 or 9 people today should be kissing Zlatan's ass because he bailed them the feck out. I don't know if it's shit mentality of our players or what but Jesus.

P-Black

Still very nervy like the FA Cup final, some of the players became very nervous but than again it's because they don't really have the experience of winning throphies yet. But that is now changing!
Zlatan kneeling down and gasping for air at the last minute :D Brilliant!

Man of the Match

Zlatan Ibrahimovic image Zlatan Ibrahimovic 96% of 987 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw