PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 12 March 2023

2Injurytimegoal

McT have a decent performance credit for him.

Cas is stupid and his form drops quite a lot recently.

Sancho is worrying so as Antony, we have to pick up fast otherwise our CL spot is in danger.

We still need 3-4 starters away to be a top team.

adamwest

Thought we did pretty well all things considered. Southampton have been revived recently and gave us a tough game. If Casemiro hadn't been such a numpty with that studs up challenge (it's a red all day long) we'd have won that game.

cyberman

Feel like we shouldn't give Casemiro so much to do. Bruno is hardly a midfielder and Sancho won't contribute much at all. I'd rather see McTom and Casemiro than this.

Still a decent performance to save the point and a few chances for more. But it's clear that the lack of depth is wearing on the squad.
No excuse for Casemiro. I feel we have a well balanced midfield. He just seems to be the opposite of Fernandinho since he gets punished every single time
By the end of the season Martial could have as many league appearances as Casemiro

Ondrej

People blaming Case for this shit is hilarious, lay off the booze.

zurnalist

You can argue about the red card, to me it's a strong yellow but i've seen these given as red as well.

But there was a certain penalty not given today which was crucial for the outcome of the match. Only handball clearer than that would be blatantly picking up the ball and throwing it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We should have had a pen and I can’t fault the performance after the red card especially first half where we were excellent after it but we were poor before the red with absolutely zero control over the game and it being end to end. Yes we had chances but so did they and we continually turned the ball over in our own half - fairly sure that’s where the red came from with Casemiro in a position where he felt he had to win it.

DavidDeSchmikes

Tired game, annoying about Casemiro getting a red, he will get a rest but misses some tough games. How has VAR missed the handball,, and Ward Prowse not getting a yellow at the end sums it up

Pfft, not great, but it's a point. Move on to Betis

Rustyspider13

Terrible game. It's a good point considering the circumstances. But we could've won that game even with 10 men if Bazunu didn't have a great performance. The state of refereeing in this league is disgraceful. The refs have ZERO accountability so they'll keep making shit calls screwing over sides every single week. We can only pray something gets done but nothing will.

Ted Lasso

Unless anybody can give me a logical reason why Casemiro winning the ball with a hard tackle is a "clear red", but Walker-Peters winning the ball and then actually injuring Garnacho is not, I refuse to accept that this was anything but a robbery.
They're trying to be too fair and agreeable. Casemiro is diving AWAY from the player, who is not in the line of sight of the tackle when he makes the attempt. He makes clear and full contact on the ball. Fecking SHampton player is a significantly second to the ball, gets in the way of the tackle and gets caught in the follow through.

It was a questionable yellow on the first look let alone a red.

BorisManUtd

We played with 10 men for an hour so it's point gained for me. We'll be without Casemiro vs Newcastle, Brentford and Everton which is another challenge...

Speako

Only positive from today, we’re eight points ahead of the mickeys in fifth, and a lot of football left to play. Full picture I suppose.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Fecking europa league and carabao mickey mouse cup will end up costing us top 4, I fear.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Playing devils advocate, why? Both are reckless, out of control and endanger the opponent. Garnacho injuring himself wasn't some freak occurrence, it was a direct result of the scissor tackle
The Southampton one was a totally brilliant challenge, won the ball, no-one gives it a second look until Garnacho stays down.

The other one was a studs first lunge.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
No way we don’t win that without the sending off. If you’re going to have a man sent off for no reason and the officials willing the opposition to win might as well be against this dross, could’ve been really bad against a good team. In the grand scheme of things we just take the point and move on, can’t see us dropping out of top 4.

BrayRed

I'll take the point after playing that long with 10 men.

Casemiro gives them a decision to make but before VAR that's never ever given as a red.
Anthony Taylor bottled it yet again.

Had enough chances to win it though even with 10. If it stays at 11 we win by 2 or 3

Need to rotate now midweek and give a few lads the week to recover, all of these games are catching up now, you can see it.

Still no idea how that's not given as handball

wangyu

Frustrating again, gonna be a long season. I fear a total collapse incoming.
Antony super frustrating as usual. He wants the ball in his feet which slows down the play and he tends to cut inside where it is already crowded. An overlapping full back would help but it is either Dalot or Bissaka and they're both different players. Rashfords penalty attempt was a shambles and pathetic.

But to end on a positive I think Lisandro is the best defender in the world on the ball, so calm and composed, good passing, not afraid to dribble an opponent.
Good cameo by Pellistri again, at least the spare moments we were able to carry the ball upfield.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Decent effort to play with 10 men for so long and not collapse. Seemed like both teams were gassed before stoppage time started.

Annoying that these are the games we look to for comfortable home wins without having to get out of 2nd gear. I believe it would've been at full strength, Southampton are a very poor side, but annoyingly it's another game that has emptied the tank.

I thought Rashford dived, but after play restarted, they showed a different angle which showed a clear clip on his knee, running at that speed they're always going to send you tumbling as your heels clip together. Play resumed instantly so I presume VAR weren't even interested?

I guess by the letter of the law, the handball shout wasn't handball because he had supposedly fallen, but if it doesn't block his arm, it's a clear goalscoring opportunity. As always, the handball rule is just madness.

Mmm-Qatarian

The Southampton one was a totally brilliant challenge, won the ball, no-one gives it a second look until Garnacho stays down.

The other one was a studs first lunge.
Casemiro also got the ball, and Walker-Peters scissors Garnacho's leg after winning the ball. Your explanation holds no water.

Logically, if Casemiro is sent off then Walker-Peters should go as well.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The sending off was unlucky. We were lucky that a competant team wasnt there today and could of put 3 or 4 past us. We look shattered.
Yep, most half decent teams would've battered us there. The team looks spent.

Soft red, but I suppose he jumped in a bit, even if he did get the ball. I'll never understand why that wasn't handball though.

JagUTD

Whether you feel it was a red or not, it's the inconsistency that is the biggest issue of all.

In the same round of matches, even in the same games, two similar incidents yield completely different outcomes. It's beyond a joke and it's about time it was called out by all teams before it gets even worse.

VAR has been a disaster. Add to that some of the worst referees in the professional game and you have the perfect storm.

And the referees and their various governing bodies hiding behind the grass roots level refs facing real issues is a disgrace in itself.

Gaidal

Absolute bullshit, 10vs12 and 3 (4 if you think the one on Bruno in the first half was a penalty) missed penalties. We were the better team by miles even with a McBruno midfield two. Southampton has one move (freekicks) and i hope they go down.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Yep, most half decent teams would've battered us there. The team looks spent.

Soft red, but I suppose he jumped in a bit, even if he did get the ball. I'll never understand why that wasn't handball though.
I can somewhat get on board with all of the other dodgy/questionable decisions, but the handball really is the one. That's as stonewall as they come

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Casemiro also got the ball, and Walker-Peters scissors Garnacho's leg after winning the ball. Your explanation holds no water.

Logically, if Casemiro is sent off then Walker-Peters should go as well.
Utter nonsense. Walker Peters challenge won the ball totally fairly.
It's breathtaking bias to think anything else.

Casemiro wasn't in control, he'd gone in high, but was unfortunate he pinged off the ball onto their man's shin.

RC89

Positives:
We played well for ten men
We didn't lose at home
Mctominay was excellent

mav_9me

Feel like we shouldn't give Casemiro so much to do. Bruno is hardly a midfielder and Sancho won't contribute much at all. I'd rather see McTom and Casemiro than this.

Still a decent performance to save the point and a few chances for more. But it's clear that the lack of depth is wearing on the squad.
The red card was a direct result of this. We kept having to defend and defend...something stupid like this can happen anytime.

Appletonred

Anymore results like this at home and top 4 possibly at risk, can't imagine the meltdown if Utd miss out, absolute catastrophe.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 204 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 3:0 Southampton
  • 24% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton