PL D FA Premier League

Stoke City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 January 2015

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Falcao run into the ground? I don't think so.

And nothing wrong with Shaw. Changing both wide players and then the central position of Rooney all at once really effected us in my opinion.
Not saying it didn't.

But Falcao has played 2 full games in under 48 hours and looked shattered. If you don't agree, then read the past 3 match day threads and there are plenty who do.

Shaw has just come back from Injury. Maybe he was fit enough to stay on but who knows?

Dante

Average bang
A point away to Stoke is a good result. It only feels bad because we're losing ground on Chelsea and City, but this is the kind of game they could easily lose points on too. Our start to the season means that we have to be faultless till the end of the season if we want to win the title. Neither of those things are going to happen, so you'd might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride. Top 4 is in the bag imo. There's no way Liverpool or Arsenal are going to win all their games either. We only need to be more consistent than them.

RoadTrip

The midfield injuries have hampered us. Falcao/RVP would have got a rest if Rooney wasn't playing in midfield. He also doesn't seem to trust Wilson, even though he said he did and let Welbeck go and no I am not one of the ones who keeps going on about Welbeck.
That I agree with. We've been crammed with games but we haven't rotated well at all. I agree Wilson should have played at least some of the games. Bizarre he didn't really.

Deleted member 78215

Yeah, I agree with this, Evans' only shit-brick moment was when he stuffed up that simple over-the-top ball. Other than that, he wasn't too bad.
And him inexplicably giving Stoke the ball back in our box after Smalling's handball. He was shit, and inspires zero confidence.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pre match I thought stoke would beat us. Happy with a point but not happy with the manner of play today. No progress from moyes. Time to inject some fergie style urgency into our play rather than this philosophy which seems to be "keep the ball so we don't get beat" rather than actually you know, attacking

Gannicus

A point away to Stoke is a good result. It only feels bad because we're losing ground on Chelsea and City, but this is the kind of game they could easily lose points on too. Our start to the season means that we have to be faultless till the end of the season if we want to win the title. Neither of those things are going to happen, so you'd might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride. Top 4 is in the bag imo. There's no way Liverpool or Arsenal are going to win all their games either. We only need to be more consistent than them.
My thoughts, too.

We can forget about the prem trophy, but we're still well on track for fourth place, which is what it's all about now.

Will Singh

Rooney is the problem in that position, he needs to be more creative and have more selection of passes not just the Hollywood to the right wing. Herrera should have started and it's about time LVG pulls these famous balls out and drops his mate RVP!

RoadTrip

I don't think Stoke is as much of a fortress as it was under Pulis. We could and should have got a result there. And I'm sure most people are not looking up the table, rather what's coming below. It's nowhere near panic stations and we are still going to be ahead on points against all our top 4 rivals at the end of the weekend, but it'd be nice to see that gap increasing or staying constant. A draw against Stoke isnt a bad result but it's not a good one. Stoke is beatable and it's ok to drop points against sides like Stoke occassionally, everyone will. But our away form says we are doing it too often.

legball

I was obviously glad that Herrera got a bit of a runout. We need Di Maria back and Blind. We need to be moving that ball quickly. It is too slow. Herrera can move it quickly, Di Maria is pacy and Blind is calm and composed in front of that defence.
My thoughts exactly, but what happens to Carrick, he's untouchable for people here.

RoadTrip

Rooney is the problem in that position, he needs to be more creative and have more selection of passes not just the Hollywood to the right wing. Herrera should have started and it's about time LVG pulls these famous balls out and drops his mate RVP!
To be fair to Rooney he did well against Newcastle and to a certain degree Spurs there. I've no doubt when our midfield roster is fully fit again (if, more like), rooney won't be playing there regardless of what LVG tells the press.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Apart from Falcao off which disappointed me no end I mean just take Van Persie off and give him a break - I am thanking our lucky stars that we didn't lose that. My head hurt watching that. Stoke away is a crap game at anytime - I truly hate that team - so to come away from home with a point I will take it. Obviously we need to win our next game at home. But bear in mind we could have easily lost that.

My next problem was Januzai - why on earth doesn't the kid use his brains???? Just look up for fecks sake! Why does he not select the right options - even when they're staring him in the face????

Definitely need Di Maria back - the lack of pace is killing us.

Still, the great positive is that we don't have to play Stoke again for the rest of the season - thank feck for that!

RoadTrip

My thoughts exactly, but what happens to Carrick, he's untouchable for people here.
Carrick and Blind should both play. Blind is technical enough to give him a more box to boxesque roll. Carrick holds and plays a deep playmaker and Blind holds up play but also links it with simple composed passing in build up.

Trouble is it'll require dropping someone up top...

RoadTrip

Apart from Falcao off which disappointed me no end I mean just take Van Persie off and give him a break - I am thanking our lucky stars that we didn't lose that. My head hurt watching that. Stoke away is a crap game at anytime - I truly hate that team - so to come away from home with a point I will take it. Obviously we need to win our next game at home. But bear in mind we could have easily lost that.

My next problem was Januzai - why on earth doesn't the kid use his brains???? Just look up for fecks sake! Why does he not select the right options - even when they're staring him in the face????

Definitely need Di Maria back - the lack of pace is killing us.

Still, the great positive is that we don't have to play Stoke again for the rest of the season - thank feck for that!
I think Falcao also needed a break to be fair. It was a toss up between the two, both wouldn't have looked great at the end though.

Januzaj when he came on the seen was surprisingly mature in his pass selection. Of all the things to regress, that was not the thing I expected.

legball

I'm a huge Carrick fan, I'd drop him for a midfield 3 of Blind, Herrera and di Maria.
I'll do the same too, he just doesn't know how to deal with pressure and away from home when we are often pressed, he becomes a passenger.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We have had three away games over Christmas, Villa, Spurs and now Stoke. We seem to be lumbered with the early kickoffs as well. Don't think it helps to be honest.

XdanielredX

We're just wayyy too slow in the build up, we seem to have lost those driving runs and off the ball runs and quick running and turning defenders around type attacks we used to be famous for.

Not just this match either, in a lot of our matches we lack that real sharp killer instinct.

Seems to be all side to side to side to side to side to over hit long ball...

side to side to side to side, out wide, back, sideto side, out wide, cross, cleared, side to side

etc etc..

Will Singh

To be fair to Rooney he did well against Newcastle and to a certain degree Spurs there. I've no doubt when our midfield roster is fully fit again (if, more like), rooney won't be playing there regardless of what LVG tells the press.
Oh I agree his done well I'm just saying that we need a more creative player there like Herrera, I also think Rooney is better as a out and out striker, him and Falcao would be interesting because Rooney and RVP just hasn't worked, I remember last season they only pass to each other about 6/7 times in the whole game and 2 of those we're from kick offs!!!

legball

Carrick and Blind should both play. Blind is technical enough to give him a more box to boxesque roll. Carrick holds and plays a deep playmaker and Blind holds up play but also links it with simple composed passing in build up.

Trouble is it'll require dropping someone up top...
That would be Mata, harsh at it may sound, he just doesn't do enough...in my opinion at least.

Bojan11

Pre match I thought stoke would beat us. Happy with a point but not happy with the manner of play today. No progress from moyes. Time to inject some fergie style urgency into our play rather than this philosophy which seems to be "keep the ball so we don't get beat" rather than actually you know, attacking
We not on top of teams.

Under Fergie last 10 mins at 1-1, I was always convinced we'd score.

We could have played for another hour today and not look likely to score.

Asger

I want to see him drop both Rooney and RVP.. But its probably never gonna happen.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Away from home we are utter horseshit. Doesn't help with half the team being injured though.

RoadTrip

Oh I agree his done well I'm just saying that we need a more creative player there like Herrera, I also think Rooney is better as a out and out striker, him and Falcao would be interesting because Rooney and RVP just hasn't worked, I remember last season they only pass to each other about 6/7 times in the whole game and 2 of those we're from kick offs!!!
:lol: I don't disagree in anyway.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I think Falcao also needed a break to be fair. It was a toss up between the two, both wouldn't have looked great at the end though.

Januzaj when he came on the seen was surprisingly mature in his pass selection. Of all the things to regress, that was not the thing I expected.
I just thought out of the two, Falcao was the one giving their defenders more problems - not a lot - but definitely more than Van Persie. With regards to Januzaj - I think last season and getting the No.11 shirt has gone to his head. He needs someone to sort out his thinking. He had a chance to put a ball into the box when he first came on - I believe 3 of our players were waiting, but no, he decides to have a low percentage shot on goal instead Extremely selfish and immature. He needs to learn to be a team player. Why go for that shot when we're not leading by at least 2 clear goals? Just frustrating.

Asger

fecks sake, what does Rooney do, is this serious?
I haven't been much fan of Rooney last few years and that is not going to change anytime soon. But Its my opinion that he isn't good enough as midfielder, maybe at home but not away from home.

RoadTrip

I just thought out of the two, Falcao was the one giving their defenders more problems - not a lot - but definitely more than Van Persie. With regards to Januzaj - I think last season and getting the No.11 shirt has gone to his head. He needs someone to sort out his thinking. He had a chance to put a ball into the box when he first came on - I believe 3 of our players were waiting, but no, he decides to have a low percentage shot on goal instead Extremely selfish and immature. He needs to learn to be a team player. Why go for that shot when we're not leading by at least 2 clear goals? Just frustrating.
If you're teferring to his cross from the left, I doubt it as a shot, just a terrible terrible cross.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Woeful game to watch, anti-football, neither team really controlling the ball for more than a few touches each before losing possession or conceeding a foul, Smalling was probably our man of the match for me, out of relatively few decent candidates.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I haven't been much fan of Rooney last few years and that is not going to change anytime soon. But Its my opinion that he isn't good enough as midfielder, maybe at home but not away from home.
Pretty obvious you aren't when you said you'd like to see him dropped, despite probably being our best outfield player this season and our captain and playing consistently well :lol:
Each to their own I guess.

Roboc7

Lucky to get a draw, we are so slow and unbalanced it's no surprise we are finding it tough to create chances when teams sit back. Falcao is improving, good to see shaw back but other than that not many positives from the game. We have no threat in wide areas, lack pace and don't have anyone who can dribble round players, just too pedestrian and predictable.

Can't wait for di Maria to come back and still keeping fingers crossed we will go back to playing a back 4.

Ixion

In the first half of the season RVP had to come off after an hour or around then a lot and has gradually built up his fitness to last the full 90 now. I think Van Gaal is doing the same with Falcao, he was playing better than RVP but we have to manage his fitness.

Asger

Pretty obvious you aren't when you said you'd like to see him dropped, despite probably being our best outfield player this season and our captain and playing consistently well :lol:
Each to their own I guess.
Not true. Has been awful in almost every away from home games...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm not expecting free-flowing, attacking football. However, we do need wins, because otherwise, we could easily find ourselves out of the top 4 again should one of our rivals find a bit of form. I would be massively happy with a shit performance if it means we get a few more wins. We just have to find a way to do it without our injured players.
We could find ourselves out of the top 4 with a few poor performances, but I'm confidence we will finish between 2nd and 4th once Di Maria is back and performing at his potential, coupled with Falcao growing in confidence with each match.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 448 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Stoke 1:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Stoke 0:2 Man Utd