PL D FA Premier League

Stoke City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 January 2015

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah, I agree with this, Evans' only shit-brick moment was when he stuffed up that simple over-the-top ball. Other than that, he wasn't too bad.
He wasn't too bad today, like all the other players. It's the team in a all who was shit, we are not a good team, we have good individualities but our team is bad.

Morpheus 7

Absolute fecking snail pace, no intensity to our game. How did Januzaj turn into a shit Nani. Negative taking of Falcao, why not RVP or Mata. I know he has played a lot recently but he was the only one that looked like scoring. We missed Fellaini to break up play,we still would have needed speed though. Johnny Evans is not good enough, he nearly cost us the game on his own. You simply need pace away from home. The opposition need to be tested and put into tough positions. Not enough attempts on goal and not near enough movement. Poor Christmas overall for United.

markhrad

One good thing is that Smalling has cemented his place as our best centre back.
This match was clearly horrendous. What is the point of having 2 world class strikers in RVP and Falcao who have excellent first touches and close ball control when all we do is try to get crosses into the box from the wings? Winning balls in the air against Stoke is not a good strategy.
Also if we play arguably two No9s why do we play two No 10s, in Rooney and Mata. Rooney and Mata are trying to score rather than set up our strikers. They do not take the ball from Carrick and the defenders then turn to face our opponents and look for through passes or short passes to our strikers. Too many back passes and wing play.
We need midfielders who will deliver the ball to the feet of our extremely talented strikers.
If Rooney is to remain a midfielder Mata has to go and be replaced by an unselfish creative player who can face defenders and give nice passes to our strikers. Maybe when Blind comes back or we get Strootman Carrick can play further forward and deliver the service our strikers are crying out for.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
disappointing game. Either inject more urgency and physicality into our game like so Stoke did, or improve in the technical area.

we didn't do either...no urgency and we too many sloppy passes

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Too slow, passing was poor, movement was poor, players taking too many touches, final ball was lacking. What does our management team do on the training ground? It's baffling that for so many years we as a team can't pass the ball with any competence and penetration. The purpose of 3-5-2 is defeated when you don't have players with pace, LVG is thick to persist with it. Possession is mainly between the center backs, the midfield is bypassed more often than not, we still resort to wing play to create anything. In summary, we are poor and even when we have won games, we have created very little all season. I've never felt so angry after a United match like I am feeling today.
LvG is on MUTV and he is saying we were not moving the ball fast enough, so he knows things aren't good. Also Young will be out for ages.

Clas Sified

We can't be expected to "smash opponents" when half the squad has intermittently not been available, during a time when a new manager is attempting to implement a new system. If you're expecting near flawless, old school Fergie style attacking, then don't hold your breath. This is about making incremental improvements over an entire season, which we are doing, under less than ideal circumstances.
I'm not expecting free-flowing, attacking football. However, we do need wins, because otherwise, we could easily find ourselves out of the top 4 again should one of our rivals find a bit of form. I would be massively happy with a shit performance if it means we get a few more wins. We just have to find a way to do it without our injured players.

DevilRed

10 games unbeaten. 7 wins, 3 draws. No arguments here.
Its a good run of form. Big picture we have been playing much better than the start of the season but then again that's not difficult to do. We were abysmal at the start.

Whats alarming is that we struggle to beat teams away from home which rules us out as genuine title contenders. Whether its the formation that messes us up, our aversion to taking risks or our general lack of ambition, we just cant seem to put away teams on our travels.

Its great to see Old Trafford a fortress once again but if we drop the occasional points at home we might be in trouble in the battle for CL spots. Hopefully with our players coming back fit and that means getting Herrera/Di Maria/Blind back in the side and playing a back four, we will perform better in our fluidity and attack.

Irrational.

LVG on SkySports:

- The game was a 'war' - we didn't deserve more, they had the better chances
- Crosses were rubbish
- We had space and time to play football, and we didn't do well
- Second half was better than the first
- We don't have tall players, which made things difficult
- Young has a hamstring injury, Shaw is not injured - he was subbed as he didn't have 'match rhythm'
- Away form has to improve
- Will not discuss January transfer speculation. 'You can ask every week' :lol:

Dante

Average bang
Playing 3 at the back means that we struggle to get the ball out of defence. I was disappointed with how little Mata and Rooney showed themselves for the ball, too. That must have been an instruction from LvG to stay up the pitch, but it definitely worked against us today.

bishblaize

'The philosophy' is turning into our new 'Chosen One' banner now...
Oh lighten up. We're well on course for the top four and we're light years ahead of last season. That's 9 wins, 5 draws and 1 defeat in the last 15 games. Carry on that form and we're heading for 82/83 points by the end of the season. My guess is that 72 to 74 points is sufficient for top four this year, so we're Still on target, even if we can't step up our away form.

Rednotdead

Not moving the ball fast enough has been a problem all season. It's all fine and well LVG knowing about it but he doesn't seem to be doing anything to put it to rights. It's happening game after game.

legball

LvG is on MUTV and he is saying we were not moving the ball fast enough, so he knows things aren't good. Also Young will be out for ages.
He has said many things after many games, it's time they start to show something now. Just one good game away from home from an expensively assembled team is not too much to ask, is it?

DomesticTadpole

He wasn't too bad today, like all the other players. It's the team in a all who was shit, we are not a good team, we have good individualities but our team is bad.
The problem with him and Jones is no composure under pressure. Of the CB's out there today I only rate Smalling.

buckooo1978

yet things never seem to change......

it's like groundhog day and Herrera/Di Maria are needed in the starting lineup asap

the passing and build up is too slow, our frontmen aren't quick enough and we've done nothing on the break since Arsenal's awful defending at the Emirates

I say this every week it seems but the balance isn't right and we should ditch 3-5-2

at least Januzaj was finding space in advanced areas with his pace....shame about his use of the ball

DomesticTadpole

He has said many things after many games, it's time they start to show something now. Just one good game away from home from an expensively assembled team is not too much to ask, is it?
I was obviously glad that Herrera got a bit of a runout. We need Di Maria back and Blind. We need to be moving that ball quickly. It is too slow. Herrera can move it quickly, Di Maria is pacy and Blind is calm and composed in front of that defence.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Our away form is really disappointing. Remember when we had this issue under fergie a few years back.

If there was one thing we could retain from Moyes was our PL topping away form.

DomesticTadpole

yet things never seem to change......

it's like groundhog day and Herrera/Di Maria are needed in the starting lineup asap

the passing and build up is too slow, our frontmen aren't quick enough and we've done nothing on the break since Arsenal's awful defending at the Emirates

I say this every week it seems but the balance isn't right and we should ditch 3-5-2

at least Januzaj was finding space in advanced areas with his pace....shame about his use of the ball
It is if some of the players are seriously grasping what he wants or just reverting to their old ways. Rooney was awful today, RVP too slow. I was pleased to see Herrera come on, but couldn't understand Falcao and Shaw going off. The Yeovil game must have had something to do with it. Adnan needs to be loaned out to get his confidence back.

RoadTrip

I was obviously glad that Herrera got a bit of a runout. We need Di Maria back and Blind. We need to be moving that ball quickly. It is too slow. Herrera can move it quickly, Di Maria is pacy and Blind is calm and composed in front of that defence.
Pace is an issue yes. But also, with the players on the pitch we don't have a midfield to play through. It's basically just Carrick. we need someone to play the simple passes and link the play. Ironically the player who'd fill the void who will completely be ignored is Fellaini too. Blind, Herrera and Fellaini. Not our best players but we need one or two of them in there to make this team play like a team. Di Maria will be the icing on the cake but he alone won't fix the problem we have in midfield.

Clas Sified

Our away form is really disappointing. Remember when we had this issue under fergie a few years back.

If there was one thing we could retain from Moyes was our PL topping away form.
If only. We would be top of the table pretty much.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think with less substitutions we win this today. Obviously some were forced but I think we changed too much and it took the team too long to resettle in 2nd half.

Falcao should have stayed on and Shaw.

Herrera could have come on for Mata.

RoadTrip

It is if some of the players are seriously grasping what he wants or just reverting to their old ways. Rooney was awful today, RVP too slow. I was pleased to see Herrera come on, but couldn't understand Falcao and Shaw going off. The Yeovil game must have had something to do with it. Adnan needs to be loaned out to get his confidence back.
Tiredness? Falcao bizarrely has come back from injury and played 2 full games in under 48 hours and still started today. Shaw clearly isn't ready to play the full 90.

RoadTrip

I think with less substitutions we win this today. Obviously some were forced but I think we changed too much and it took the team too long to resettle in 2nd half.

Falcao should have stayed on and Shaw.

Herrera could have come on for Mata.
see post above. It's not like Falcao and Shaw were fully fit. Shaw is clearly not ready yet for a full 90 and Falcao has been run into the ground.

Ixion

No other club has lunch time kicks offs on both the 28th and New Years Day AND both games are away from home. That, the windy conditions and continued injuries I think mean our Christmas fixtures have been more difficult than people think, but at least we didn't lose.

Edit: Spurs wasn't boxing day, point still stands though!

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
No other club has lunch time kicks offs on both Boxing and New Years Day AND both games are away from home. That, the windy conditions and continued injuries I think mean our Christmas fixtures have been more difficult than people think, but at least we didn't lose.
I like your positivity - i'm gonna hold on to that!

TheReligion

Abusive
see post above. It's not like Falcao and Shaw were fully fit. Shaw is clearly not ready yet for a full 90 and Falcao has been run into the ground.
Falcao run into the ground? I don't think so.

And nothing wrong with Shaw. Changing both wide players and then the central position of Rooney all at once really effected us in my opinion.

DomesticTadpole

Tiredness? Falcao bizarrely has come back from injury and played 2 full games in under 48 hours and still started today. Shaw clearly isn't ready to play the full 90.
The midfield injuries have hampered us. Falcao/RVP would have got a rest if Rooney wasn't playing in midfield. He also doesn't seem to trust Wilson, even though he said he did and let Welbeck go and no I am not one of the ones who keeps going on about Welbeck.

Gannicus

One good thing is that Smalling has cemented his place as our best centre back.
This match was clearly horrendous. What is the point of having 2 world class strikers in RVP and Falcao who have excellent first touches and close ball control when all we do is try to get crosses into the box from the wings? Winning balls in the air against Stoke is not a good strategy.
Also if we play arguably two No9s why do we play two No 10s, in Rooney and Mata. Rooney and Mata are trying to score rather than set up our strikers. They do not take the ball from Carrick and the defenders then turn to face our opponents and look for through passes or short passes to our strikers. Too many back passes and wing play.
We need midfielders who will deliver the ball to the feet of our extremely talented strikers.
If Rooney is to remain a midfielder Mata has to go and be replaced by an unselfish creative player who can face defenders and give nice passes to our strikers. Maybe when Blind comes back or we get Strootman Carrick can play further forward and deliver the service our strikers are crying out for.
Required reading for all caftards.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 448 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Stoke 1:2 Man Utd