PL L FA Premier League

Stoke City 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 December 2015

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
According to Michael Caley's xG model - which is based on quality, not quantity of chances - a fair result:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Team playing with no confidence. When Depay made that schoolboy error it just destroyed any fragile confidence that existed. That then transferred to Jones and Smalling.

Fellani and Mata did not do much to shout about. Herrera tried too hard. Carrick legs have gone.

Rooney did well when he came on, but still too mouthy to the ref. Young was probably best player.

Thank god, Schweinie and Schiederlin are available against Chelsea.
Isn't that the point with this manager, that some players have to try too hard to be picked and this was not the conditions to be doing it, when others just seem to get a free pass. Fellaini is an abomination of a player. As you say Carrick has gone and him and Mata hide when the going is tough. Memphis, why did we buy him?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We don't "dare to play" Louis cause you force your players to play risk-free football.

Irrational.

Carrick looks lost for words in the post-match interview.

LVG with the same spiel in his interview: "We created one or two chances in the second half, and we have to score. We didn't dare to play". He also goes on to blame the wind, and says we were the better team in the second half. I think he's accepted that he's going to be fired. He looks like he's lost hope, and walked away with a stern look towards the interviewer. :lol:

P.S. Why does he expect us to have a 100% chance conversion rate?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Wow !!! That look van Gaal gave the Sky interviewer at the end of the interview!! :devil:

Ixion

That look at the end of his interview was great.

I hate the narrative the media will obviously run with that we played a half without Rooney and lost so it was obviously a bad decision to bench him. The press should grow some balls and admit 2 goals in the league in half a season is shit and he deserves to be dropped. That interviewer was obviously trying to get LVG to admit he shouldn't have dropped him.

Stretford End Phil

'We don't dare to play' and the pressure is mounting - surely that's the manager's failing. Another poor post-match presse and giving the interviewer the evil eye for asking a typical question is just churlish.

LARulz

What did he say?
Essentially we put ourselves in a tough position in the match, players didn't play with freedom, as part of the club during this 4 match run he knows pressure will come on him, said he was not hurt by media coverage but was annoyed about lies and then when asked if he still has the backing he said it's a different situation now that we have lost 4.

Then gave the interviewer a death stare as he walked off

Tiberius Aquila

The Caf's fantasy hockey champ 07/08
"Must win." declared van Gaal prior to the match. Evidently didn't do enough to elicit that urgency in his squad although they should shoulder all due blame. Disgusted.

EmPeeKay

The last seconds of his post match presser were ackward to watch. Van Gaal trotted off without saying a word and gave the reporter a nasty stare. If looks could kill!

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Essentially we put ourselves in a tough position in the match, players didn't play with freedom, as part of the club during this 4 match run he knows pressure will come on him, said he was not hurt by media coverage but was annoyed about lies and then when asked if he still has the backing he said it's a different situation now that we have lost 4.

Then gave the interviewer a death stare as he walked off
Thanks.

Not going to resign then.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There's not anything to be said, that hasn't been said already.
Some fans seemed to believe that we had a chance of winning this game. I believed that a loss was inevitable and would've taken a 1-0 loss before the game started.
Funnily enough, I actually think we have a better chance to win against Chelsea, as that is a home game.

It was said that LVG would need to lose the next 2 games to be sacked - he is 50% of the way there already.
Our board seem to act only when we have completely failed and have no chance to rescue the season.

By the end of today, we could be:
1, out of the CL
2, in 7th place

This was the point at which Moyes was sacked.
The only thing we haven't yet had is the banner flying over OT - maybe that is what the board are waiting for.
What kind of response are you looking for with that shite?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sad times, one player, in Depay, let the manager down completely today. You can't plan for that. The rest of them can't create and fellaini once again can't score from 6 yards out.

He'll be sacked for this. The players have seem to have forgotten this is a team game and were constantly trying to shift the responsibility to the next player to score. I can't believe Ashley young was probably out best player, playing out of position, both offensively and defensively!

I'm jusy fed up with the players more than the manager, but sadly he has to go now as the players are jusy refusing to play for him. New age of football management.

roykeane19

When we would lose matches, I`d come on here and vent,but now Ive just lost all hope and am numb, the only way to change this is to get in Mourinho fast, before we fall out of top 4

Nathan

Watched the game, Memphis made a monumental mistake for the first goal. The second we can have no complaints. In the second half, we had more of the ball. If fellaini scores then we have a chance, however it wasn't to be.

Realistically if we change now, will our performances change I don't think so.

Not a great result for sure - didn't expect to lose - a draw potentially

Will wait to see for any developments around the managers position - I'm not keen on a change in terms of the manager

Spock

Van Gaal has to go immediately, that much is clear.

But if we're going to be fair about today's result and nothing other than today's result, Louis got butchered by insanely poor individual performances by Memphis and Fellaini in particular and a brilliant strike by Arnautovic.

The Fellaini scuffed sitter sums up how the season has gone for us since Day One: shambolic finishing.

Boycott

Martial is a gem on the ball but there's a problem that he only comes to life when he gets the ball. Quite laboured off the ball when you hope for runs in behind.

Herrera is very overrated. Peak Fletcher is a better player yet Herrera is made out to be a saviour. Good squad player but no more IMO

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The players can get to feck. I give the young ones a pass. Everyone else especially the 'senior' players complaining about stupid things can get the hell out of the club. Not one ounce of fight in them. At least go out there with some conviction. I don't care if they hate the manager or if he sends them out with a tactic that these no nowts deem to be not good enough. You're playing for United, you're an elite athlete - have some fecking pride!

LVG has to go now - they've stopped playing for him and it's too late for him to turn things around. Just want him to go and be with his family. It's over now, but along with him, the players need to take some responsibility. Never known a set of soft bastards as the set that we have here. Was praying for Roy Keane to come on the pitch and have a right go at them. Disgraceful!

Stretford End Phil

Don't dump it all on Moyes and Van Gaal. Those who hired them carry some of the blame. Chronic under-investment during Fergie's last five years and a shotgun approach to transfers under Van Gaal and Moyes are part of the cause.
I take your point M but today's performance was rooted in Moyes arrival. Agree, the board and Fergie have their part in the longer picture of 5 years prior. However, Moyes' damage was grievous; we never really salvaged anything before LVG came along, and have finally buried any trace of our former stubborn spirit. Today was not like any squad I have seen for a long time, except for Ander they didn't look like United players.

Manny

Grammar Police
I hate the narrative the media will obviously run with that we played a half without Rooney and lost so it was obviously a bad decision to bench him. The press should grow some balls and admit 2 goals in the league in half a season is shit and he deserves to be dropped. That interviewer was obviously trying to get LVG to admit he shouldn't have dropped him.
Yep, it started as soon as the team was announced.

I think the media know Rooneys has been playing poorly but they'll use it as another stick to beat LvG with.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
was there a more predictable result this season?
For me: no.
This was such an easy prediction, I stated before the match started that I'd take a 1-0 loss, as I wanted to protect our GD (should this be important at the end of the season).
I know it sucks to think that way, but we need to be realistic with what we can achieve with our current setup.

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 425 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 17% Stoke 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Stoke 1:1 Man Utd