PL L FA Premier League

Stoke City 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 December 2015

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Let's face it we got exactly what most of us expected. I can't believe that the board freely just write off another game under this manager.

Esquire

It's depressing how we've ended up with such a pathetic group of players.
Agree. Been in the LVG out camp for a while but today most of the players were a disgrace. Some were just cowards and hiding from the ball and showed absolutely no fight. It was just depressing sad to watch. A few of them need to go in January or the summer. Not United quality and if we need to pay through the nose to get that type in the Glazers and should realise we will need to do just that to keep the brand commercially viable for them (even cold blooded bottom line business suits like them would realise the brand depends on the quality of the footballing staff).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For me: no.
This was such an easy prediction, I stated before the match started that I'd take a 1-0 loss, as I wanted to protect our GD (should this be important at the end of the season).
I know it sucks to think that way, but we need to be realistic with what we can achieve with our current setup.
Me being very optimistic was hoping for a 0-0 draw. I knew there was going to be a defeat, as depressing as that sounds. Many others did too.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Agree. Been in the LVG out camp for a while but today most of the players were a disgrace. Some were just cowards and hiding from the ball and showed absolutely no fight. It was just depressing sad to watch. A few of them need to go in January or the summer. Not United quality and if we need to pay through the nose to get that type in the Glazers and should realise we will need to do just that to keep the brand commercially viable for them (even cold blooded bottom line business suits like them would realise the brand depends on the quality of the footballing staff).
if the reports are true that Van Gall rips into them after each mistake, wrong pass, lost ball then it's no brainier that they are afraid.

spwd

We were thinking a while back that the Chelsea game could be good game for us but unfortunately it's turned round and I think they will be the ones looking forward to it more, hope he's gone by the time I get off the shitter!

Moriarty

I take your point M but today's performance was rooted in Moyes arrival. Agree, the board and Fergie have their part in the longer picture of 5 years prior. However, Moyes' damage was grievous; we never really salvaged anything before LVG came along, and have finally buried any trace of our former stubborn spirit. Today was not like any squad I have seen for a long time, except for Ander they didn't look like United players.
Reminded me of the 1-5 reversal at Palace all those years ago when years of chronic mismanagement by the board came to a head. Then it took relegation and radical surgery to get the team back in contention and even then the board conspired to screw things up.

The side that was out there today did not look like a Manchester United team from any era. They looked like a disjointed gaggle of players who did not play for each other. Some hid in plain sight while others just went through the motions. They let the supporters down and if they had any decency, they'd club together and give them a refund.

Esquire

if the reports are true that Van Gall rips into them after each mistake, wrong pass, lost ball then it's no brainier that they are afraid.
I agree but FFS, I hope you would agree that if you are a Manchester United player, you at least show more fight, press, scrap, to get the result. It's not the manager that plays. Today's effort, if you saw it, was absolutely appalling. Some of those players need to look at themselves and understand they are playing for their futures. Because honestly, anyone who comes in, will definitely get rid of some of these players who played today.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Been the same kind of shit under Moyes, the writing's on the wall for the new manager. I hope LVG gets the axe as soon as possible but yea, there's a process indeed going on and it's a process of weeding out the cnuts we still have in the squad because sooner or later the situation will repeat when things aren't going their way.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Van Gaal seems defeated
He is out of ideas - his philosophy isn't working.
We are defensive possession based team (this has been taught to our players for 18 months) and it'll probably take 6 months for us to become an attacking team again.

I still feel that "that" loss to LCFC last year made LVG go from attacking football (which was his original concept - and up to and including that LCFC game we scored many goals) - to ultra defensive football. Our players are mentally weak and that's been shown on numerous occasions. LVG knew this so he adapted his tactics appropriately by focusing so on defence. Unfortunately, he forgot that we also needed to score goals. In recent weeks, he realised this, so started playing more attacking football. Unfortunately, this change in tactic has made us defensively weak and we are now seeing us conceded 2 goals a game.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I agree but FFS, I hope you would agree that if you are a Manchester United player, you at least show more fight, press, scrap, to get the result. It's not the manager that plays. Today's effort, if you saw it, was absolutely appalling. Some of those players need to look at themselves and understand they are playing for their futures. Because honestly, anyone who comes in, will definitely get rid of some of these players who played today.
Absolutely agree. Get rid of Rooney, Giggs, Carrick - they've set the wrong tone for the dressing room. Need a new slate for the next manager. Players are a disgrace. Roy Keane must have been fuming. Not one bit of effort - utterly despicable behaviour. Bastards shouldn't get another pay cheque until they win another game.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Reminded me of the 1-5 reversal at Palace all those years ago when years of chronic mismanagement by the board came to a head. Then it took relegation and radical surgery to get the team back in contention and even then the board conspired to screw things up.

The side that was out there today did not look like a Manchester United team from any era. They looked like a disjointed gaggle of players who did not play for each other. Some hid in plain sight while others just went through the motions. They let the supporters down and if they had any decency, they'd club together and give them a refund.
funny. I had thought about that Palace defeat over the weeks. It is not losing the match. The heart has completely gone. He is gone but the poison that has been here since Moyes will take some work to get rid off.

Esquire

Been the same kind of shit under Moyes, the writing's on the wall for the new manager. I hope LVG gets the axe as soon as possible but yea, there's a process indeed going on and it's a process of weeding out the cnuts we still have in the squad because sooner or later the situation will repeat when things aren't going their way.
I am just so depressed that we are slowly but surely repeating the horror cycle which Liverpool is only now beginning to get out from under. The tragic point is that we have all the financial resources to prevent this but we are making one fatal mistake after another by the suits.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
funny. I had thought about that Palace defeat over the weeks. It is not losing the match. The heart has completely gone. He is gone but the poison that has been here since Moyes will take some work to get rid off.
This. And if someone at the club doesn't realise this needs attending to immediately, then we're in big trouble.

Moriarty

So much for Gill's supposed master plan for replacing Fergie. It's amazing that a club of United's stature could get it so horribly wrong.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I am just so depressed that we are slowly but surely repeating the horror cycle which Liverpool is only now beginning to get out from under. The tragic point is that we have all the financial resources to prevent this but we are making one fatal mistake after another by the suits.
the difference is we have the money and a top manager available to halt the slide.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's a bit sad that after Moyes' departure it turns out we're in the same freefall for the last 1.5 year and adding Moyes tenure it's 2.5 years now. If CP an Watford win, we're back to 7th if I'm not mistaken, sums it up perfectly well.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
...a process of weeding out the cnuts we still have in the squad because sooner or later the situation will repeat when things aren't going their way.
I said this many times in the last 12 months.
We are team of "nice guys" who have no fight in them. When going into battle, you want to look to your left and right and know the people around you will fight with you. And when the chips are down, your team-mates will raise your spirit to fight back.

What we lack are cnuts. Vardy. Keane. Vieira. Costa. Ibrahimovic. These are all good examples of the types of player we are missing. Players who fight tooth and nail. Even when losing, we will make it difficult for our opponents. Even when we lose, our opponents will know that they were in a major battle.

We have gone from arguing with our opponents in tunnels (remember the Arsenal game: Keane vs Vieira?), to now shaking hands in the tunnel before a match starts. Once you have had friendly conversations in the tunnel with your opponent, mentally, you won't be in the right frame of mind to go toe-to-toe with your opponent, when the chips are down.

The only player in our squad who fits the bill is Bastian. I know he'd have my back if things got dirty. All our other players would just run and hide and that's what we are seeing on the pitch.

Esquire

It's a bit sad that after Moyes' departure it turns out we're in the same freefall for the last 1.5 year and adding Moyes tenure it's 2.5 years now. If CP an Watford win, we're back to 7th if I'm not mistaken, sums it up perfectly well.
It will be another conversation for another day but I think many people, including Ed and the board, are asking what on earth is wrong. We right deserved to be in 7th. Cause we playing like a mid-table team (and on the last few game, relegation team).

Moriarty

Gill, Fergie, Charlton all guilty in my books.

EDIT: I hope this also means Giggs as the NEXT manager is not a realistic option.
I imagine that Fergie and Charlton will be agitating for Giggs. Whether the Glazers agree or not is anyone's guess but it wouldn't surprise me if the club took a pass on Mourinho and appointed Giggs. Then it'll be more of the old pals act.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So much for Gill's supposed master plan for replacing Fergie. It's amazing that a club of United's stature could get it so horribly wrong.
There was no master plan.

There is absolutely no way that anybody would've "planned" Moyes' appointment. Fergie liked him. He was a mate. He was Scottish, so he got the job.
Jose (the most winning manager of the last 10 years) was available at the time and was overlooked, in favour of Moyes.

Then we got desperate after Moyes left and LVG was the only person available. Fair enough. I had no complaints about this.

Now LVG is failing and Jose is available, we are dithering attempting to lure unobtainable targets (Guardiola). If Jose goes to another team and we end up with another manager (Scottish or Welsh) who has never won a trophy, the Glazers should look to remove some of the advisers on the board.

WyoManU

Just like with Moyes where all I can do is laugh. Our club is floundering and looking more and more likely to become an example of how not to be run. We are a joke. I really, really hope someone on our board knows how to turn this around because right now my prediction of a 7th place finish this season looks generous. I bet the owners rue the opportunity they had to sell the club to the dirty oil sheikhs at a massive profit...

Asger

Mata, Memphis and Blind can feck off non of them are worthy to wear the shirt after what they did today absolutely spineless performance from the three of them.
Its not like Fellaini, Rooney and the rest of the team was any better... Rooney was the whole 2nd half whining to the ref.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Its not like Fellaini, Rooney and the rest of the team was any better... Rooney was the whole 2nd half whining to the ref.
In fairness, Rooney does not have the skills to play his team out of trouble.
The only thing he could do is influence the ref to give us some 50-50 decisions, so fair play to him.

Moriarty

There was no master plan.

There is absolutely no way that anybody would've "planned" Moyes' appointment. Fergie liked him. He was a mate. He was Scottish, so he got the job.
Jose (the most winning manager of the last 10 years) was available at the time and was overlooked, in favour of Moyes.

Then we got desperate after Moyes left and LVG was the only person available. Fair enough. I had no complaints about this.

Now LVG is failing and Jose is available, we are dithering attempting to lure unobtainable targets (Guardiola). If Jose goes to another team and we end up with another manager (Scottish or Welsh) who has never won a trophy, the Glazers should look to remove some of the advisers on the board.
That's how I see it too. I don't believe any of the stuff that Fergie has since written about Moyes' appointment. Van Gaal's appointment made sense at the time but it was a reactionary thing to do. Look at Bayern. That's how a club run by people who know the game act when they appoint mangers. We are run by a former investment banker who acts for absentee owners. Where's the football nous?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The problem is deciding who was just having a bad game with who was not trying. Anybody can have a bad game, it's the ones who aren't trying who need weeding out.

Ixion

That's how I see it too. I don't believe any of the stuff that Fergie has since written about Moyes' appointment.
Me either. Lots of people trying to save face since Moyes got the sack and don't want to take any responsibility for it.

Dr Fink

Truly shocking. Rock bottom. No desire from the players. Memphis was truly appalling. Carrick: woeful. Rooney has gone completely. Loved him but his time and legs have gone. Mata: carried every game. LVG has to go, I never wanted him. Fellaini: never was and never will be a United player. If we keep DDG it will be a miracle. The shape, attitude of the team is pathetic. It's down to one person and his philosophy. Let's stop the rot of two awful managers, sort it Ed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Discussing post match player performances is a bit pointless at this point imo, with a managerial change being discussed.

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 425 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 17% Stoke 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Stoke 1:1 Man Utd