PL D FA Premier League

Sunderland 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 August 2014

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I actually think it wasn't that bad. There are many positives especially considering it was our only second game with this formation. Many improvements from the first game as well. I think the players started to feel what they need to do for this tactic. Other than the goal, we were quite awful in the final third but I think LVG knows more about the squad and players now, and what needs fixing. We kept on going, that's the best thing I saw today.

Blodssvik

It was a good result in hindsight. Performance was as bad as anything I saw last year. We´re completely impotent and sometimes it feels like we could play 180 minutes without creating chances.

Dylan94

Gary makes a great point. None of our current players can beat a man 1 on 1 apart from Januzaj who's not being played. Di Maria can't come soon enough so we can throw 3-5-2 out of the window and go to 4-3-3 with those two on the wings.

vibe

We have, potentially, Evans, Smalling, Shaw, Rojo, Herrera, Carrick and Di Maria to come into this team. Which changes it completely. Plus, there may still be another signing or two to come.
Possibly the only part that makes me optimistic. Or at the very least, that we aren't going to fight for relegation or something, because that's what we've looked so far.

This team is worse than what David Moyes had to deal with last year. We've made 3(plus 1?) new signings and neither of them played. Our best striker still has some catching up to do and our best CB is off with an injury. This is our B team. It should still win against Sunderland comfortably, but it didn't. Which is reason to worry, but not panic. Not yet, anyway.

I believe we'll have every reason to panic once we're 10th at boxing day, but don't mind me. I'm just a pessimist.

The Red Thinker

Why is everyone complaining about the backline today? The positive today is that we played well in defence. Apart from a corner (which every team is susceptible to) we looked pretty good after we got ourselves sorted in the first 20 minutes. After that, I don't remember them tearing apart our defence like Swansea did last week.

De Gea has vastly improved his passing from the back.
Antonio Valencia was overall pretty good in defence. His attacking end-product was mixed I guess.
Blackett brilliant.
Keane is still adjusting to the big time but he's looked quite good.
Jones was fantastic.
Ashley Young's end-product was abysmal today. It's funny how he has regressed since the pre-season.
Cleverly and Fletch were below par. Januzaj coming on didn't do much, which I don't see is his fault as he's a more attacking player.
Mata tried to make things happen but this system is all about movement and there was no real movement.
Rooney was poor.
RVP looks like he's not fully fit. A glimpse of his ability before he was brought down in the box.

I see improvement in the sense that we kept the ball and didn't concede space at the back too often.
The problem here is the movement from defence to attack. It's obvious that here it is the lack of familiarity with the system.
The transfer from defence to attack is something maybe Rojo can help with.

What is clear from all this is that we need impetus in midfield. Someone to win directly in the middle of the park and bring Mata and Rooney much higher up the pitch. Sometimes Mata was playing so far back he had to run up a few dozen yards to get into that position, by that time Sunderland had already reorganised their defence.

Ash_G

I think the issue lies with Rooney and RVP. They are just too similar. Rooney's had good partnerships with Welbeck, Hernandez and Tevez. All strikers very different to him, good movement. I just think the partnership is incompatible. You have to drop one of those strikers imo. Whatever combination we go for I don't think RVP and Rooney will click.
Agreed I think it'll always be a problem. With a better mix of players it can be less of one but they really are too similar, both want to make the same movements and problem is unlike say Sturridge/Suarez they can't drop of, pick the ball up and run. It's just an endless cycle of them coming short, knocking it back or wide and then repeat or wait for a cross they won't have a chance to get on the end off.

Varun

Staff
Too many average players which becomes an even bigger problem when 2 of them are CMs. Those 2 plus Young and Valencia arent even squad level quality.

Our tempo is ridiculously slow. No urgency at all. it was bizarre.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Can't be too dissapointed.

We have 4 new players missing. Hopefully when they go in and we settle under Van Gaal we will start to turn out the wins.

Hopefully Van Persie will start firing after a run of games.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
De Gea- Nothing of note.

Jones- Our best player, was decent in the 2nd half.
Smalling- Looked ropey on the ball, needs to do better.
Blackett- OK, was calmer than most and it's sad to say that given he's played two league games.

Valencia- Not great really. Decent assist but lost Rodwell for the goal. Defended OK most of the 2nd half but was pretty poor in attack.
Cleverley- Lost, rushed and gave away too many fouls.
Fletcher- Our worst player, terrible touch and gave it away so often. Looked weak.
Young- Crosses were poor, bottled that 1v1, laughable dive.

Mata- Scored and had no midfield to help him out. Could have got van Persie involved more.
Rooney- Lacked a clinical finish and was rusty. Better when Welbeck came on.
van Persie- Had nothing to do really and looked off the pace. Tried to link up with Valencia on the right but needed help.

Keane- One rabbit in the headlights moment of note, but wasn't too bad.
Januzaj- Unusual role, at least he tried to run at the defence.
Welbeck- Worked better with Rooney when he came on.

kotha

Feels like a point gained rather than points lost. That in itself should explain how bad we were. I guess now i know why pre season shouldn't be taken seriously as Fletcher looked really good in them, but today he was completely off the pace. We need Herrera asap along with De Jong or Blind or Khedira.. They might not be the muppets dream like Vidal but they are far better than the options we currently have..

On a positive note I thought Blackett had a really good game,so did Keane after he came on.

jesperjaap

Nothing has changed from the last 3 years, just progressively worse. Its only 2 games in for LVG but the main problem is the players, they are either not good enough or we have too many players in one position or that dont fit into a sysytem. The only player to come out of the game with real credit would be Phil Jones who has been our best player in the opening two games and this is the only positive. We have lots of injuries but still.
Smalling is not a ball playing defender and that is being exposed. I think either Jones moves inside or Rojo plays that position or ideally we sign a ball playing defender.
Our central midfield is without an injured and ageing Carrick and an injured Herrera who has only played once, all the other options are poor. Mata for me is one of the worst signings we have ever made. And thats not slating Mata he is a good player, I mean its an awful signing in the same way Berbatov was. He just doesnt fit. Rooney and RVP arent players that burst past defenders anymore they are players that come alive aroudn the box. Mata doesnt have the pace or dribbling ability to make things happen around the box. We already had Kagawa who is similar. This formation is being played to fit the 3 players in, it doesnt work with what we have aroun dus. And as for width Valencia was always an average signing for me who did very well in his first 18 months. Now he just looks scared, he went past the full back ONCE, and we scored from it. He should never have got anew contract, as a winger he cant go past players enough and as a wing back he just does a job. Ashley Young....dotn even start me off.
I just hear we have agreed 63m for Di Maria, surely this must mean 4-3-3 OR Di Maria comes in for Mata or even one of the forward spots? I dont believe we are in for Blind personally, and I hope we arent....BUT this side still needs to shift 6 or 7 players (none of which for me should be Welbeck even though I just feel him a squad player, he can run at defenders with power and works hard) and even with Di Maria we need another defender and a central midfielder at the absolute minimum.

Al-T

As predictably stale and uninspired as one might expect when the central midfield pairing is Fletcher and Cleverley. I honestly can't see why we would let a player like Welbeck with pace, energy and potential leave the club when we have so many ponderous imposters clumping about the place like brontosauruses.

Hopefully the stuff about Di Maria is true and he's coming because we desperately need pace and incisive cutting edge bringing in.

How Atkinson is a FIFA accredited referee is beyond me.

Smores

Sorry but how obvious has it always been to everyone that that front 3 can't work together or more so that RvP and Rooney don't fit together as they have no pace and don't attack the ball.

Nevvile and Yorke are really slating Mata, yet are defending Rooney/RvP, ridiculous.

With Di Maria coming in we just have to switch to 4-2-3-1 with ADM/Mata/Adnan behind one of RvP/Rooney. Gives us pace, creativity and the buzzword of the week balance.

stu_1992

What can you say really, other than that it was incredibly poor from us? It's so disheartening to see the lack of urgency in trying to get a goal especially near the end of the games. I should't be surprised since we saw it last year as well, but I did hope that would be rectified this year. So far it has not.

I think all our fears about that midfield came through. We were incredibly poor there as expected, and didn't even have any options there to change it. Even when we scored in the game it was against the run of play if I'm honest. Just never looked like winning.

legball

Cleverly and Fletcher - Christ, were they bad!
Apart from the obvious defensive problems, the inability of our attacking players to create chances is a worry.
We really need to get that cheque book out and sign a midfielder of top quality, Vidal comes to mind.
The lack of natural leaders in the team is also a worry.
Our players have for long not been properly coached, even in Ferguson's later years,, we were really poor in possession - this is the most difficult task for LVG, he has to build a team comfortable of passing their way out of high pressing, it takes time but LVG has proven over his career that he excels at this. I'm going to be patient.

Dylan94

We have been patient for long enough. We are in a crisis now. Its time for some proper signings ASAP, and plenty of players need to be shown the exit door also.
This. And some people are wilding over praising some players performances today. We need big signings this week. Not just Di Maria. Benieta and Vidal too.

Getsme

Name me a squad who could cope with the amount of injuries we have, im not talking about squad injuries, but regular starters. There isn't a team on the planet.
And before anybody says Real Madrid, Chelsea, City or anyone else for that matter, no, they wouldn't. They might cope better but they would still struggle.

RetroStu

Too many average players, no pace, no urgency and no service to the front 2.
Why is it that everyone can see this except the club?. And before the inevitable "how do you know they aren't bringing more players in, there is still time", this is a problem that has been going on for years now.

Code-CX

Why is everyone complaining about the backline today? The positive today is that we played well in defence. Apart from a corner (which every team is susceptible to) we looked pretty good after we got ourselves sorted in the first 20 minutes. After that, I don't remember them tearing apart our defence like Swansea did last week.
I agree with the backline part. It was an improvement over last week. One of our main problems is that our midfield is average at best.

Rafateria

Once you finish with the transfer market there is no way you are continuing with 3-5-2. Jones was the only player above average today (though Mata had a good first half he wasn't up to speed in the 2nd). Young was atrocious as were Fletcher and Cleverly. Rooney created nothing and that is a problem for you - a lot of it stemming from a total lack of pace when breaking - as there was an alarming lack of creativity.

Once Di Maria comes in you will probably switch to 4-3-3 to bring stability to your defence and midfield and to accommodate him, even if the defence/midfield are not the best (Rojo, Shaw, Blind and De Jong will bring that stability, if those are who you eventually end up with). This will give your attack more of a chance to shine but you really do need a top class CB and even more so one or two high quality CM players.

bleedred

To be honest, most on here saw that result and performance coming once the injury to herrera was announced on friday.

So, I am not fussed about the result. Hopefully we have seen the last of Fletcher and cleverly starting. The worrying thing is Turf moor is not an easy place to visit. They are on the back of two defeats and I will expect a similar performance/result. Hopefully we have players fully fit coming back from the Intl break and we start from there on.

Minimalist

:lol: I can only laugh at you feckers who keep defending Cleverley and Fletcher. Absolute nightmare players.

If I was the other players I'd be crushed morale wise having to play with those two morons.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
LVG's subs are a bit questionable. I know he had a reputation for making some surprising subs but I think it's been pretty much hit or miss so far.

Mali_Zeus

Sorry but how obvious has it always been to everyone that that front 3 can't work together or more so that RvP and Rooney don't fit together as they have no pace and don't attack the ball.

Nevvile and Yorke are really slating Mata, yet are defending Rooney/RvP, ridiculous.

With Di Maria coming in we just have to switch to 4-2-3-1 with ADM/Mata/Adnan behind one of RvP/Rooney. Gives us pace, creativity and the buzzword of the week balance.
Neville should get off Mata's back.

He's been criticising him since we bought him.

LARulz

No pace at all in the team. No movement and too many players scared to pass forward more than 5 yards. Looking at Cleverley and Fletcher for that mainly. Rooney should have been dropped to midfield when Welbeck and Januzaj came on, perhaps keep RVP on and take the two we had in midfield off

AKDevil

Replace young with Shaw, fletcher and Cleverley with carrick and Herrera, smalling with Evans and probably Blackett, though I think he has done well, with rojo and that team looks a lot, lot, lot better. That's before you find a place for di Maria. I'm hopeful. The midfield two, comfortable on the ball, looking to create chances will make a huge difference.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We have been patient for long enough. We are in a crisis now. Its time for some proper signings ASAP, and plenty of players need to be shown the exit door also.
That can only happen so quickly. The summer transfer window has been poorly handled, again, but it's evident we are working on bring players in. We are trying to correct about 5 years of underinvestment and poor investment. It's not going to happen over night.

Difference now, is that we have a manager worthy of the task.

Ferguson signed players who worked for him and his style. Which was unique. And he clearly used voodoo.
Moyes was overwhelmed by the job and made one panic buy, who was about the worst player he possibly could've signed for that money.
Van Gaal is ruthless and a visionary. Not a magician. He's brought in three players already, shaw, Herrera and Rojo, all of whom are very good and will be starters. Presumably a fourth, Di Maria will follow imminently, and will be a big upgrade on what we have. More players will arrive eventually and we will keep improving.

Stay calm.

Dylan94

Neville should get off Mata's back.

He's been criticising him since we bought him.
To be honest he's looking more like a waste of £38 million every time he plays. The money could have been used much better. Greet guy. Great player. I just don't think he's a Manchester United player.

Mali_Zeus

To be honest he's looking more like a waste of £38 million every time he plays. The money could have been used much better. Greet guy. Great player. I just don't think he's a Manchester United player.
It's not his fault we're crap all over the place.
What do you mean, he's not a Man United player?

And I dont agree he's a waste every time he plays but that's just my opinion.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
We started a league cup team. Assuming Di Maria is coming, in two months' time the first XI will have Shaw, Rojo, Evans, Rafael, Herrra, a new CDM and Di Maria. Only RvP, Mata and Rooney from today's team will start.

Given the circumstances, an acceptable result.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 459 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sunderland win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Sunderland 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Sunderland 1:3 Man Utd