PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sat, 28 October 2017

Jersey Heel

At some point, someone is going to punch Dele Alli in the face. I want to buy that person a beer.

Jacko21

Ive never agreed with that school of thought.
How come?

If you create a chance and proceed to score and your opponent fails to do the same, then why don't you deserve the points?

The overall performance ceases to be relevant. If you win the league, your critics don't look back on games and say the title is underserved because they didn't play well.

GM K

People need to watch this post match interview to understand Jose.

I liked that part where he said, he would have been fine with the players if they drew or even lost the match because they showed heart and desire. He indicated that his problem with the Huddlesfield game was that they showed no desire or understanding of how important every match is.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I have a hard time believing most of these are actually United fans.
Hlory Gunters, mostly. Passing the ball sideways hurts their foreheads. Passing it back to the goalkeeper makes them mad. They once kicked a soccer ball back to a kid at the beach and never forgot that experience.

suhaylah

Well taken goal by Martial. Young was my MOM. The performance was not good in the first half but we improved when Matic started to play a little bit higher on the pitch.

Reactions: SteveJ

Foxbatt

I am surprised at the negativity. It was not boring at all. We attacked much more than Spurs did. Spurs is not some middle of the table team. There are on level with us and drew with Real Madrid in Madrid in the CL. They are in the inform team. They created only one chance and we created a lot more. Mikhi was getting better in the second half and if Rashford was a bit more alert he should have scored from the rebound from Mikhi's shot on goal. Lukaku hit the post too. So it is not such a bad performance as some people make it out to be. In fact it is a good performance.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I am surprised at the negativity. It was not boring at all. We attacked much more than Spurs did. Spurs is not some middle of the table team. There are on level with us and drew with Real Madrid in Madrid in the CL. They are in the inform team. They created only one chance and we created a lot more. Mikhi was getting better in the second half and if Rashford was a bit more alert he should have scored from the rebound from Mikhi's shot on goal. Lukaku hit the post too. So it is not such a bad performance as some people make it out to be. In fact it is a good performance.
In fact, you are stonkingly right. But how the feck are you surprised?

Hambley

We beated Spurs, didn't give them any chances to score a goal exept one, played good football, got 3 points. What's wrong? Why some are still moaning?

Reactions: SteveJ

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
We beated Spurs, didn't give them any chances to score a goal exept one, played good football, got 3 points. What's wrong? Why some are still moaning?
A combination of many factors. Agendas, stuck in the past, unrealistic expectations.

el3mel

The matchday thread was the worst of it all. I said in it some people seem to be torturing themselves watching football with this level of negativity.

If I reached the kind of negativity I saw in matchday threads I'll stop watching football immediately.

Unmutual

How come?

If you create a chance and proceed to score and your opponent fails to do the same, then why don't you deserve the points?

The overall performance ceases to be relevant. If you win the league, your critics don't look back on games and say the title is underserved because they didn't play well.
The logical conclusion to that argument is that there's never been an undeserved loss or victory in football and that every result matches the performance, no matter how the game unfolded. That makes no sense to my mind.

Sometimes a great performance doesn't get three points, and you deserved more. Other times a stinking performance gets three points, and you didn't deserve it. I think most fans would see the game that way.

Great result against a very good Spurs team – albeit not at their best, yet neither were we.

Three touches – De Gea, Lukaku, and Martial – GOAL.

The first half was not the best but the second half display, overall fight and the determination of the team was a lot better than many on this forum are making out to be the case. On reflection, despite playing a very good side we were hardly ever troubled and maybe even quite comfortable, particularly in the 2nd half.

Overall deserved three points IMO.

Enjoy the weekend, I know I will ;)

ManUArfa

Big win, big display from Young and big balls from Martial!
We were very poor - slightly better in the second half - in term of creativity and drive forward, however, the guys showed passion this time (which we lacked completely last week) and that's what keeps you in the game even on a poor day.

Lukaku with a pretty difficult game as he wasn't getting sh** all from the midfield in first half, made a few bad decisions and hit the post in the second. Nevertheless good for him that he was involved in the goal - we need him to score goals again!

Young my motm.

PS with Kane leading their line I think we would have lost..
But with Pogba in for Mikki we would have dominated the first half too....

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
not sure either side deserved to win that. yes, we just edged it in the second half but I truly believe City would have thumped either of us and while it is true that they did almost nothing after half time, turns out they missed Kane more than we missed Pogba. the goal itself was a little scrappy as Nev said -- I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to hit it into the ground which is possible what deceived Lloris. but they didn't really force a save out of DDG so maybe they didn't deserve to get anything any more than we did at Liverpool. Stamford Bridge will be a bigger test and I'm fraid we might go with a 4-6-0 formation ha ha.

It's a strange day when Young was probably the MoM and I'm afraid I've seen enough of Miki now...

PieCrust

Really disappointed with Lukaku's hold up play; it's very poor. We seem to be looking for the long ball release quite a bit in these recent matches and Lukaku just doesn't have the ability to hold the ball up well like Ibra did last season.

Young was fantastic, man of the match for me.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The matchday thread was the worst of it all. I said in it some people seem to be torturing themselves watching football with this level of negativity.

If I reached the kind of negativity I saw in matchday threads I'll stop watching football immediately.
well, you just go ahead and convince yourself that we were great. I have to laugh at the people who voted Martial MoM. says a lot more about the caf, if you ask me

el3mel

well, you just go ahead and convince yourself that we were great. I have to laugh at the people who voted Martial MoM. says a lot more about the caf, if you ask me
Definitely better than being a moaner who sees everything in a very negative way. I won't bear such a life as football fan.

Jacko21

The logical conclusion to that argument is that there's never been an undeserved loss or victory in football and that every result matches the performance, no matter how the game unfolded. That makes no sense to my mind.

Sometimes a great performance doesn't get three points, and you deserved more. Other times a stinking performance gets three points, and you didn't deserve it. I think most fans would see the game that way.
Then I guess much of it comes down to the nature of the goals scored or indeed not as the case may be.

Generally speaking tough, in games likes today, in which chances are at a premium, the deserved winner is the team that takes their opportunity.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
2 things I noticed.
Eric Dier is ridiculously fast. He made Rashford look pedestrian.
And Lingard is very slow. With head start of about 5-10 metres, Erikson caught up and overtook Lingard.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Dude, if you are negative all the time, then perhaps football/MUFC is not the sport/team for you.
Supporting a team should have its ups and downs, but overall, should make you happy.
If you are always negative, why bother watching MUFC. Find another hobby. Watch movies. Play computer games. Do something that makes you happy and not feel so negative.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Overall a decent performance against a solid Spurs side. Dier and Vertonghen were very good today, but we squeezed through.

Top performances from Jones, Bailly, Young, Valencia, Martial and Lukaku.

I’d like to add as well that after seeing an hilarious video of how bonkers Bailly is, I thought I’d just watch him for bits from my seat. He’s genuinely crazy. At one point it looked like he kneed someone in the chest or something :lol:

superdry

touched by a genius
2 things I noticed.
Eric Dier is ridiculously fast. He made Rashford look pedestrian.
And Lingard is very slow. With head start of about 5-10 metres, Erikson caught up and overtook Lingard.
If Lingard had pinned his ears back and gone for it instead of looking for back up, he wouldn't have been caught.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Much prefer the 3-5-2 formation. Take out Mhki and play Pogba behind Lukaku and Rashford/Martial and we'd look a lot better offensively. We reallllly miss PP, his creativity is second to none in the team.

SqueakyWeasel

Great win and much needed!

Trouble is we'll probably post cricket score on Tuesday and pick up a hard earned point or 3 at Stamford Bridge on Sunday and then we're really rockin' …

… just in time for another fecking international break :keano:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Game really lacking in attacking quality and with poor play in general, first half was abysmal. Second half improved with more fight which is great to see but I think we got a bit lucky playing a Kane-less and surprisingly negative Spurs.
Spurs were lucky, that we had Ibra, Pogba, Rojo, Fellaini - all injured.
Spurs were also lucky that we didn't score 3 goals. We narrowly missed some chances.
Spurs should count themselves very very lucky that they escaped with only 1 goal against them.

Marcky411

Shame Lukaku's shot hit the post
Yes he really needs a goal will do him the world of good, 4 games now without a goal may start playing in his head. Can't wait for Pogba to get back, will get him on his way again freeing Miki up more and I am sure Matic will get back to the player we saw in the first couple of games, now he has to hang back to cover Miki and Herrera's mistakes.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Spurs were lucky, that we had Ibra, Pogba, Rojo, Fellaini - all injured.
Spurs were also lucky that we didn't score 3 goals. We narrowly missed some chances.
Spurs should count themselves very very lucky that they escaped with only 1 goal against them.
Spurs were lucky that we had Jesse Lingard as our furthest attacker instead of a good player.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 624 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 20% Man Utd 1:0 Tottenham