PL D FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 19 June 2020

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What you think of Jose's tactics tonight? Used to infuriate me when we went 1-0 up and he'd retreat.
I'm fine with it, it was working. We have been unfortunate to lose Lucas yesterday and obviously losing Dele was also a blow so our attackers ran out of puff in the second half which reduced the effectiveness of our press which enabled you guys to attack more in our half. We didn't have anybody on the bench to freshen it up front that was our main problem.

stu_1992

Not a bad result in isolation, but doesn't do much for our season. Which we had gotten this game down before lockdown. I'm confident we would have won easily. Overall I'd say we were better. But draw probably fair.

It's been said by many but absolutely terrible defending for their goal. A mistake from all 3 players really. Really nice work by Pogba for our goal though and I thought he gave use impetus we were lacking at that point. Played some lovely passes too. Was hoping we'd snatch it in the end as the momentum was building. Disappointing.

Robertd0803

Frustrating as its a game we should have won. We would have battered them pre lockdown and really should have won tonight.

Only Mourinho could complain about not having the bench to turn to when he can make 5 subs.

Need Chelsea to start dropping points now somewhere.

wolvored

It was like a first game of the season clash. Ole needs to make subs quicker. Pogba and greenwood need to start the next game. Maguire too slow on the turn and Shaw too many times out of place. De gea shouldn't keep trying to punch the ball, he could have palmed or caught that shot. A point gained though although if it had have been played in march I think we would have beat them the form we were in

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Unlucky really. Some near misses. Had not our night written all over it at one point. Feel our players could have passed it quicker from the back. At times bit self indulgent. Also outside, we could have taken one or two more chances. Some decent performers, some non performers. Despite them siting back, we missed some big chances but we just have to win the next game.

bondsname

Love James but I wish we had other options on the right wing, Greenwood is a bit young to be started regularly. James would be a good sub option, coming on late when there is space to run into. Today nothing happened on the right wing when he was on which is not a first unfortunately.

Feels kinda bad that Spurs managed to get a point after over 100 days of waiting but there were some positives tonight, I like the performance and the will to win. Hope we see a big performance from the lads in the next game.

SirAnderson

I couldn't believe our luck when we got that second pen. But then I could believe our unluckiness when it was rightfully disallowed.
Bruno should have move his leg in further. He pulled out from the challenge a bit, expecting the foot to come and when it didn't he kind of fell over to complete what he was expecting would happen.

tjb

I'm usually a big fan of him but I thought Wan Bissaka was dreadful going forward today. I often think it's an unfair accusation people level at him but there must have been three or four times he got it and did nothing of any worth today.

Other than that, good to see Pogba looking fighting fit and the unbeaten run goes on. Spurs away was never going to be a walk in the park!

Onwards!
He's not a good attacker, may be decent in most games, but will never be good. That's ok as long as he is great defensively which he is. Ole made a fantastic tactical change with his off the ball formation by pushing Wan Bissaka closer to the defenders rather than frequently joining the attack. The problem we faced came from James being so ineffective from that flank. He seemed off the pace physically ( one of the reasons he started this game).

We have something really good in Pogba and Fernandes, but we need to do something about spreading play away from the centre. Our flanks are far too ineffective, and this really comes as a result of our failures from the right flank. The middle is too cramped and we don't have a player in that area who can hold up the ball ( unless Ighalo plays). Bruno's one twos and constant searching and bailing out teammates from problems still requires a bit of room.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I'm fine with it, it was working. We have been unfortunate to lose Lucas yesterday and obviously losing Dele was also a blow so our attackers ran out of puff in the second half which reduced the effectiveness of our press which enabled you guys to attack more in our half. We didn't have anybody on the bench to freshen it up front that was our main problem.
Yeah it was working until it wasn't.

0le

He's not a good attacker, may be decent in most games, but will never be good. That's ok as long as he is great defensively which he is. Ole made a fantastic tactical change with his off the ball formation by pushing Wan Bissaka closer to the defenders rather than frequently joining the attack. The problem we faced came from James being so ineffective from that flank. He seemed off the pace physically ( one of the reasons he started this game).

We have something really good in Pogba and Fernandes, but we need to do something about spreading play away from the centre. Our flanks are far too ineffective, and this really comes as a result of our failures from the right flank. The middle is too cramped and we don't have a player in that area who can hold up the ball ( unless Ighalo plays). Bruno's one twos and constant searching and bailing out teammates from problems still requires a bit of room.
Hopefully a potential signing of Sancho will improve things, and Greenwood will get more game time on the wing as well to aid his development.

TrustInOle

Feel we had the chances to win tonight, so disappointed but a draw ain't end of the top 4. Martial was unlucky.

Bruno and Pogba :drool: :drool:

Future is gonna be bright is what I would take from that game.

swred

I’ve spent a lot of lockdown listening to that Peter crouch podcast and it was hilarious to listen to keano at half time as he’s become a bit of a legend on the pod.
Overall I didn’t think we did too badly, Pog is an obvious asset who is miles ahead of everyone else he played with (BF too).
Daniel James really doesn’t have w lot more than pace.
As a GK myself I feel DDG should also be saving that, although Harry gets caught out big time.

tjb

Hopefully a potential signing of Sancho will improve things, and Greenwood will get more game time on the wing as well to aid his development.
If only you were the real Ole and could confirm that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pogba - He's definitely done enough to start the next game. Not just because of how he played, but because Fred was poor and Mctominay looked like he hadn't done any fitness training since about 2010.

Maguire - He was playing really well before the break but I just can't get my head around why it's ok for a professional footballer to look as awful and off the pace as he did in that first half. Why is he allowed to literally take 10 seconds to play a six yard pass time and time again and no one on the bench is going fecking livid at him every single time? It's basic bloody stuff. Get the ball and pass it. There is no reason to stand there thinking about it unless it's because you are too fecking rubbish to do it. LIndelof was barely any better.

We were horribly shite for an hour and then for the last 30 minutes you have to factor in that we were playing against a Mourinho side who were a goal up, and what happened was basically what ALWAYS happens in that situation. We had 7-8 decent chances but so will everyone else who plays Tottenham.

In general I enjoyed watching the game but find it pretty feeble how many players on both sides were clearly a million miles away from being fit. A lack of sharpness is understandable but things like endurance shouldn't be a visible issue after about 20 minutes. Fitness and exercising hasn't been banned for the last 3 months...although it's not like being a high end professional athlete is anyone on the pitch's job I guess...

Our refs are also absolute garbage. I've been watching football outside of the PL and what happens is the game takes place and the ref referees it and then the game ends. The PL comes back and every 3 minutes the ref or his assistants are missing something obvious or inventing things that didn't even happen, or can't tell the difference between a foul and someone clearly just throwing themselves on the floor. We're the only league in the world where the officials can't tell if a ball has crossed the line despite having a video ref, goal line technology and the fact the goalkeeper was literally rolling the ball around IN the net of the goal.

Commentary nonsense:
- Martin Tyler trying to blame Mourinho using Mourinho tactics for the 500th game in a row on the fact there wasn't a crowd.
- Neville moaning about teams travelling the same day as a game in the same sentence as expressing his shock that any hotel might be open.
- Commentator on earlier game claiming that Norwich City had booked out every room of the hotel overlooking the stadium to stop anyone watching the game, when this makes aboslutely no sense since a) the hotel would be closed to everyone except Norich City, and b) even if it wasn't someone watching the game from the window of a room they are on their own in would have made aboslutely no fecking difference to anything!

Things that make no sense:
- Not allowing the players to come out of the same tunnel, celebrate close together, or go within 2 metres of each other pre or post game...then gathering them all into a tight group every 20 minutes so they can all drink some water together, despite this not being a thing that ever needed to happen pre-corona virus.
- Thinking that anyone cares about what some other people look like watching the game in their bedrooms

Unexpected corona virus bonuses:
- Not missing about 30 minutes of the game so the TV broadcaster can keep reminding us what the crowd looks like or what Sir Alex Ferguson sitting in the crowd looks like.
- Game doesn't have to stop while Eric Dier has to go into the audience and help his brother have a fight with some random fan.

Beanz

Playing a mourinho team when he's had 3 months to prepare, i'll take that. Our forwards were quite rusty, praying this changes. Especially tony.

Ole didn't want to rush pogba and to me it makes sense that he came in as a sub. If pogba started no way he was going to be subbed out. That means he plays a full 90 and we risk his fitness. But yes he should've been in subbed earlier.

For our first game back our performance was okay. We need to sort the right wing issue though. Our attack can't survive on awb alone

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Commentary nonsense:
- Martin Tyler trying to blame Mourinho using Mourinho tactics for the 500th game in a row on the fact there wasn't a crowd.
- Neville moaning about teams travelling the same day as a game in the same sentence as expressing his shock that any hotel might be open.
- Commentator on earlier game claiming that Norwich City had booked out every room of the hotel overlooking the stadium to stop anyone watching the game, when this makes aboslutely no sense since a) the hotel would be closed to everyone except Norich City, and b) even if it wasn't someone watching the game from the window of a room they are on their own in would have made aboslutely no fecking difference to anything!

Things that make no sense:
- Not allowing the players to come out of the same tunnel, celebrate close together, or go within 2 metres of each other pre or post game...then gathering them all into a tight group every 20 minutes so they can all drink some water together, despite this not being a thing that ever needed to happen pre-corona virus.
- Thinking that anyone cares about what some other people look like watching the game in their bedrooms

Unexpected corona virus bonuses:
- Not missing about 30 minutes of the game so the TV broadcaster can keep reminding us what the crowd looks like or what Sir Alex Ferguson sitting in the crowd looks like.
- Game doesn't have to stop while Eric Dier has to go into the audience and help his brother have a fight with some random fan.
:lol:

Walters_19_MuFc

Almost fully agree, but I'd back us to get Top 4 now. 5 points the gap if Chelsea win tomorrow but they still have City and Liverpool to play and Sheffield Utd and Wolves.

Spurs was the hardest game in our run-in, and Sheffield Utd is another one, but as we play Leicester on the final day, I'd back us to get what we need for Top 4 if we know what's needed.
Love your optimism, and I tend to agree. Hopefully we can have a strong finish and make top four.

Nikolas

The worst thing about our starting XI was not starting Matic. When you play against Murinho, it is important not to concede first. Matic massively reduces the chances of it happening.

Also, Maguire has a problem 1 on 1 when the attacker is fast and has space. Having Matic in front of him reduces that space.

The next thing is transition from the back. Matic can find passes that Fred and McTominay can't, and protects the ball better.

Great impact from Pogba, and Greenwood looks sharper.

Beanz

Agreed, Martial and Rashford don't cut it
One match back after God knows how long, just out of a massive injury, where prior to that he was killing and now all of a sudden rashford can't cut itsome of you lot need to chill and take several seats

SirAnderson

Thing is, even with those 2 players available, he still would have done exactly the same thing, park the bus. Any pressing or the like will be a secondary, or tertiary tactic that would not have been as effective against our midfield as you think...I think.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
First of all it's fantastic to see our boys in a match again :)

I would have taken a draw before the match and especially in the minutes before our penalty but it definitely feels like 2 points dropped in the end.

Pogba, Matic & Greenwood must definitely replace Fred, McTominay & James against Sheffield United.

Last edited:

Devil may care

It felt likt e a pre-season friendly but we picked it up in the last 25 minutes and should have won.

I thought Ole got the right selection to be honest, so hard to tell how the game would be played and he went with the workers, the only gripe is he should have made the changes at half time, at least the Pogba change, but as good as he was you can't discount that Greenwood offered more threat in 25 minutes than any other United forward.

Castia

Shame we didn’t take all 3 points but Spurs away isn’t an easy game. On paper probably our hardest fixture remaining this season, lots and points up for grabs in the coming games.

Im pretty optimistic.

tjb

It felt likt e a pre-season friendly but we picked it up in the last 25 minutes and should have won.

I thought Ole got the right selection to be honest, so hard to tell how the game would be played and he went with the workers, the only gripe is he should have made the changes at half time, at least the Pogba change, but as good as he was you can't discount that Greenwood offered more threat in 25 minutes than any other United forward.

People are blaming him for James pick mostly. Truth is, he was clearly used to give us options on the counter. The problem with this was that Ole did not anticipate Jose sitting deep. Their goal came from errors, ironically from us pressing well and pushing up our defensive line. For the most part, we played well. But we have serious issues breaking teams down. This has been a problem for all our managers since Fergie. I believe the problem has to do with our complete lack attacking quality on the right flank. Poor AWB has to shoulder the attacking load because we have no player in our squad that can attack/willing to attack from the right. Forcing our team to try and find intricate ways to break teams down from the centre as even the left flank becomes congested.

Devil may care

People are blaming him for James pick mostly. Truth is, he was clearly used to give us options on the counter. The problem with this was that Ole did not anticipate Jose sitting deep. Their goal came from errors, ironically from us pressing well and pushing up our defensive line. For the most part, we played well. But we have serious issues breaking teams down. This has been a problem for all our managers since Fergie. I believe the problem has to do with our complete lack attacking quality on the right flank. Poor AWB has to shoulder the attacking load because we have no player in our squad that can attack/willing to attack from the right. Forcing our team to try and find intricate ways to break teams down from the centre as even the left flank becomes congested.
I thought James was selected for the press but then we didn't press, and to hope to play counter against Jose is a little strange as even in home games he's often cautious. The right side is an issue for sure and has been for a long time now, but also the fact we don't get a lot of attacking threat from our fullbacks makes it easier for teams to squeeze us. We'll see over the next 8 games if Pogba and Bruno together can remedy this issue as most teams are going to sit deep against us I feel

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Greenwood is such a talent. This guy has the potential to hit silly numbers in a few years time. Complete natural.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Only the Lord will know why we didn’t start Paul Pogba tonight.
I think Ole expected Spurs to pin is back a bit and was looking to counter with solidity in defense. Not the right choice but understandable.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No other midfielders are in the same wavelength as Bruno and Pogba, that's for sure. We have to start them together, its no brainer.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It was a fair result IMO. I was disappointed with Rashford, Martial and especially James. The first just are not sharp. I was really pissed that Rashford couldn't properly control the wonderful pass from Pogba on the half volley. And also when Martial could not get his shot off quicker from the nice pass from Bruno. Just wasteful. James, though, looks bereft of ideas when he has the ball. He is not a good passer so knows not to try anything creative, he is afraid to take on his defender, and I'm getting very tired of him going down with any slight push.

Can someone teach James the Mathews move? You know, one of the first moves young players learn to beat defenders. A move that Greenwood can do with his eyes closed. A move the Messi uses at least a dozen times a match. Please, someone coach him how to beat a defender.

alexthelion

Pogba starts, Greenwood starts and next year, Henderson starts.
Totally agreed.

Bruno, Pogba, Matic midfield for the next game. Need the forwards to get their match fitness pdq.

DDG yet another howler. How much longer can he really be considered our #1? He's losing us far too many points and it's been going on for far too long now.

cyril C

Frustrating as its a game we should have won. We would have battered them pre lockdown and really should have won tonight.

Only Mourinho could complain about not having the bench to turn to when he can make 5 subs.

Need Chelsea to start dropping points now somewhere.
I have said about this before lockdown. On form, on injured attackers, we had 70% chance winning and 30% draw, and I didn't see us losing, had we played 3 months ago.

Tarrou

Very very rusty, which is understandable.

Ole probably got the tactics a bit wrong, Rashfords positioning was was clearly causing us problems with Aurier being left to run into space.

A lot of players were poor IMO. McT and Fred didn't play well together, and Rashford/James/Martial were barely in the game. Maguire and DDG both shocking for the goal.

But despite being below par overall I thought we deserved the win. Last time we played them away, despite sneaking a win, we were under the kosh for large parts of the game and depended on DDG having a stormer.

Bruno MOTM. Pogba showed his class when he came on.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Is there a more frustrating attacking pair than rashford and martial? I dunno what they do in training but as soon a as the start whistle blows their brains lose any football intelligence. Sometimes they have some moments of magic but after a game like today they seem more like flukes than actual ability

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 55% of 301 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 336 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw