g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2023

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Hardly an awful post to suggest the manager/coach had a big part in Rashford having his best season.

If you don’t want to give the manager any credit for the good…don’t blame him for the bad.
No, you're giving him 100% responsibility rather than helping an already talented player find his feet again.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I missed the 2nd half but how the feck did we go from being clearly the better side to losing this 2-0? I thought we were robbed a pen decision with a clear Romero handball and Bruno really should have scored from that chance. And even having Rashford doing nothing, Shaw being sloppy as feck and Mount doing a Donny impression, I still thought we were clearly the better side. Albeit, I did think after that first half that we had no options from the bench.

foolsgold

Should have been ahead first half, need to be better with taking chances. I liked Onana again, scary in places but will be an overall upgrade.

Antony frustrating as always, Mount was ghost like, tidy in places but offered nothing of substance. The English Donny van de Beek. We need a striker urgently.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Should have been ahead first half, need to be better with taking chances. I liked Onana again, scary in places but will be an overall upgrade.

Antony frustrating as always, Mount was ghost like, tidy in places but offered nothing of substance. The English Donny van de Beek. We need a striker urgently.
Pretty much exactly how I am thinking.

RuudTom83

No, you're giving him 100% responsibility rather than helping an already talented player find his feet again.
Not sure I did? I said the manager coached him to 30 goals.

Never called him a messiah either.

But hey, it’s not that important.

starboy

Second match of Premier League and another worrying performance. Solid start where Spurs were unable to do anything. We pressed them well and sadly were unable to score.
On one side, we play with Rashford as CF where he is absolutely clueless, players missing easy headers (Rashy, Bruno), nothing impressive by Bruno (except that rabona), Case and Mount. On other side, Erik ten Hag playing same XI after Wolves.
I was excited for new season but this is disaster. If there is no plan for some emergency striker, we need to pray that Hojlund will perform as Man United striker from first minute.
Positive was again our goalkeeper. I was sceptic about replacing DDG because I thought that we need to upgrade on other positions, but his passing is completely on point. Son tried once pressed him and it was last time I think.

big_jeffstar

I’m getting really tired of seeing every stone wall penalty shout we get waved away..
someone has to take out a revolver and shoot Garnacho in the area to get the ref to go and have a look on the monitor.. it’s a joke, and although we were pretty awful today, decisions like that turn the tide of the game.. you just know it was because wolves should have had one last week, we’ll be paying for that all fecking season

Matt851

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
We change the manager, who changes the system and the style of play. The previous manager's players are pronounced "deadwood" and replaced, until we change the manager and start all over again. We've been doing it since SAF retired, with largely the same underwhelming results.

It's only the start of the season, so no need for panic, but the look of low confidence and disorganisation compared to other teams is ominous. ETH's preferred side is clearly still in formation, but my concern is that he exhibits some of the rigidity of our other Dutch manager. We don't want him to be constantly reactive like David Moyes, but his frequent reference to players not following the "rules and principles" sounds a lot like LVG's insistence on his "philosophy". If he really thinks the midfield was good today, as he's claimed, he's seeing things that I'm not. SAF had the knack of adapting to his best players within his system rather than always insisting that players adhere strictly to the system.
Last season I thought the playing style had progressed, but only by comparison with the end of Ole's time and the Rangnick games. It's like a permanent rebuild.
Agree it feels like the same thing is happening again.

If anything I want more philosophy from eth. I was expecting a possession based style with more control over games but he talks about making us the best transition team around. It's very hard to properly understand what he is aiming for, and not clear he knows himself.

Although the outcome of lasts season was decent we got dominated in so many games it felt reminiscent of ole. Hopefully eth will adjust things but it feels like we have already hamstrung ourselves by commiting so much money to mount

justsomebloke

A better performance than against Wolves. Then we had a weak first half and a terrible second. Today a pretty good first and a weak second. But we faced a much better team.

3 points in our first two games, which is at least one and probably two more than we deserved.

Onana - good against Wolves and generally even better today, though I'm unable to fathom just what he was trying to do on Spurs second goal.

Shaw - grew better as the game progressed against Wolves, and same today - probably the only United player to be markedly better in the second half than he was in the first.

Martinez - a bit better today than against Wolves, but still a fair bit off last season's pace. Not much of that incisive passing, and looking less assured defensively.

Varane - OK against Wolves, pretty much the same today (but without the goal).

Wan-Bissaka - again one of our best players, I thought. Some key defensive interventions, crisp and good in moving the ball upfield. Not much on the offensive side today though. Although with Udogie and Son operating down his flank, you can understand the caution.

Casemiro - I was inclined to ascribe his troubles against Wolves to the absurd number of turnovers our forwards left him alone to deal with, but that won't hold for today. So far, he's a shadow of what he was last season.

Mount - same as every game I've seen him in so far after his transfer - decent-ish, but not really much of a presence. A bit like Sabitzer last year, in that regard.

Garnacho - another weak one, succeeds with very little, is not a plus factor currently.

Bruno - very tame against Wolves, excellent first half today, but almost completely disappeared in the second.

Antony - as so often, some good stuff and some bad stuff, but all in all just not that much of a contributor, simply.

Rashford - better today than against Wolves, but not more than okayish, if that.

It looks very much to me like we're not ready for the season. Certainly not physically - it's telling in that regard how we fade late in the game. That might be by design, but whatever the cause, we're clearly not a very good team right now. We should be - are - better than this.

Not sure what to make of it. But it needs to improve, obviously.

No reason for hysterics though. It's just round two. But it sure would have been nice if we could have a less than bad start to the season, for a change. When did we last have that.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Decent 1st half, horrendous 2nd half, Spurs just ok but we just don't look like scoring which like last season puts to much on the defence. We badly miss a CF and hence we miss Rashford on the left.

justsomebloke

Agree it feels like the same thing is happening again.

If anything I want more philosophy from eth. I was expecting a possession based style with more control over games but he talks about making us the best transition team around. It's very hard to properly understand what he is aiming for, and not clear he knows himself.

Although the outcome of lasts season was decent we got dominated in so many games it felt reminiscent of ole.
Hopefully eth will adjust things but it feels like we have already hamstrung ourselves by commiting so much money to mount
I don't agree with that at all. It's the other way around. The results weren't much better than 20/21, but a lot of the fundamentals in our game just looked sooo much better. That was really the biggest positive of the season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We were shit but fair play to Bruno on calling these incompetent clowns out.

Robindinho

I'm more worried with just how short we look fitness wise and physically... 2nd game and they're dead on their feet.

We're in trouble :(

Infra-red

The best team lost on Monday and the best team won today. We've been awful in both games and are lucky to have any points. Maybe EtH just starts seasons slowly, but there is a lot of work to do.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ok I watched more of the highlights now... Quite simply, at Spurs away you can't miss those 1st half chances or get a pen like that not called in the 1st half. It's a common theme unfortunately. Even game on the balance because the 2nd half we didn't respond well at all

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I think it's still a bit too early to be panicking - if the progression continues and the players are able to soon carry the first half levels across 90 minutes then things should fall in to place.
The problem is lack of goal threat. Once they realise we won't score they are emboldened and we get overrun in the second half. They're not scared of us because we're not scary. Last season everyone was terrified of Rashford but playing at CF there's no need to be.

Ronaldinho's snakebite

;
- Onana needs more protection
- Bruno blames everyone
- Rashford needs to go on loan
- Casemiro was overwhelmed
- Mount ghosted
- Garnacho is not a starter yet
- Martinez is now reckless
- Antony should tell us his job

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Out of those three free headers, we should have scored two of them. I dont know we just dont have that will to win that city have.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I am very worried about our season. We absolutely reek of a 6th - 8th placed team.

Loon

:lol:
Hoping Ten Hag can get to the root of this fast. It's perplexing watching them play like that.

Thom Merrilin

We should have won, Spurs were OK at best. If Bruno scores and the var knew what handball means we'd have been 2-0 up and cruising, xg in our favor as well roughly 2.0 - 1.6

I don't think it was as bad as some but I worry if we don't get a starting striker soon because we can't keep missing chances.

Overhaul FC

I feel Ten Hag made a mistake today picking an 11 that didn't all deserve to start after last week's performance.

Sancho was last week's best attacker after coming off the bench and repeatedly not playing the in form player will cause Ten Hag issues.

One out of Antony and Garnacho should've been replaced by Sancho starting today. Rashford could have gone to the left and Sancho false 9, or Sancho in for Antony.

I think people are being harsh on Mount and he was decent in the first half today.
Ten Hag needs to play the 11 that deserve to play immediately or it will cost him the dressing room if he continues to play his favourites like Antony despite poor performances.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Was a classic case of "if you don't take your chances, you're going to concede". Good first half where they did not have an answer to our press and we should have been at least 2 up, but our ridiculous wastefulness reared its ugly head once again.

Garnacho did not make the most of the vast open space on the left wing, he should work on his decision making, but then again he's still very young.

Rashford does not have any presence as a striker and should never be played there again.

Antony is painfully average and does not have the ability to beat a man. Also, for a player who's supposed to be good at retaining possession, he's guilty of an obscene number of turnovers, which in turn put the pressure on the midfield and defence. Pellistri should be starting ahead of him, but we all know this will not happen.

Also thought we were extremely unlucky in this game - uncharacteristic misses from Fernandes and Rashford (though this one looked just offside); Antony hitting the woodwork; that Casemiro header; the penalty not given, quite possibly to make up for the Onana debacle last week; their first and second goals as well - the ball getting to Sarr with lots of luck and then the Licha own goal.

Games like these are bound to happen unfortunately and it's just frustrating when they happen to your team. Also, the teams below City are pretty evenly matched so most of the time in these derbies it's a matter of fine margins, so you have to be ruthless with your chances otherwise you pay the price just like we did.

I expect us to beat Forest and then crash at Arsenal, which would be a disappointing return after four games.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We were shit but fair play to Bruno on calling these incompetent clowns out.

Yeah fair play to Bruno, but it should be the manager making these remarks. Can you imagine Ferguson’s reaction to this today if he was still manager?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yeah fair play to Bruno, but it should be the manager making these remarks. Can you imagine Ferguson’s reaction to this today if he was still manager?
Pretty sure EtH made some remarks to this effect last season about the Case reds.

EtH is also very close to being a Boomer, so I'm not sure he's as social media aware as Bruno.

Duncan the Great

Exactly what is the system we are playing ? So disjointed, God only knows what they do in training, do they actually train together? Been in charge long enough now, zero improvement from day one. Looks as though the jpb is too big for ETH, how about bringing in Sarina Wiegman.

Laurencio

It was obvious last season that we needed a world class centre forward - yet we haven't gone out and bought that. I have to admit, I expected more.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Was a classic case of "if you don't take your chances, you're going to concede". Good first half where they did not have an answer to our press and we should have been at least 2 up, but our ridiculous wastefulness reared its ugly head once again.

Garnacho did not make the most of the vast open space on the left wing, he should work on his decision making, but then again he's still very young.

Rashford does not have any presence as a striker and should never be played there again.

Antony is painfully average and does not have the ability to beat a man. Also, for a player who's supposed to be good at retaining possession, he's guilty of an obscene number of turnovers, which in turn put the pressure on the midfield and defence. Pellistri should be starting ahead of him, but we all know this will not happen.

Also thought we were extremely unlucky in this game - uncharacteristic misses from Fernandes and Rashford (though this one looked just offside); Antony hitting the woodwork; that Casemiro header; the penalty not given, quite possibly to make up for the Onana debacle last week; their first and second goals as well - the ball getting to Sarr with lots of luck and then the Licha own goal.

Games like these are bound to happen unfortunately and it's just frustrating when they happen to your team. Also, the teams below City are pretty evenly matched so most of the time in these derbies it's a matter of fine margins, so you have to be ruthless with your chances otherwise you pay the price just like we did.

I expect us to beat Forest and then crash at Arsenal, which would be a disappointing return after four games.
At some point you have to think why this keeps happening. Its not a one off. These feckers need to start converting they have been coasting for too long now.

Stacks

That second half was almost as pathetic as the Anfield one. Spurs were average to decent at best and we made them look like world beaters. An actual good side would massacre us.

Multiple fecking times where we literally let their players walk past several of ours. For that second goal, Dalot sees the man over there receiving the switch of play and literally just fecking stands there and lets him do what he wants with it.
I felt this. This to me are an average Spurs side. The amount of times they got in behind our defence or had the ball at someone's feet 5-7 yards from goal made them look like they something. It was more us than them

glasgow 21

I really couldn't care less about the season. I am in apathy mode, until the Glazers sell there is nothing to be positive about.
Best outcome is the we get rid of the players who shouldn't be here and start again hopefully with new owners.

Stacks

I saw Spurs hit the woodwork twice and have 2 more sitters in the 1st half but tame finishes. Must have been the first 15 mins

Selbourne

fecking pissed off with that second half. Keane said something along the lines at half time that this this is where we have to show character because spurs will go at us, and we show that? Just feck off

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 282 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd