PL L FA Premier League

Watford 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 18 September 2016

the hea

Zlatan has already done more than Rooney has done in the last 2 seasons. I have no complaints with Zlatan at all. Rooney is the problem we have.

Even if we agree he's past it in the general gameplay, what about his set piece delivery? We had tonnes of corner kicks today and Rooney kept overhitting it. What exactly does Rooney add to this team?

There are better players in the squad.
If you try and read my post I said that Rooney should not be allowed to put on a United shirt again, what about that makes you think I think Rooney should be in the team ahead of Zlatan. I only said that Zlatan has missed to many chances in the last two games and that it has cost us points, before those two games he was probably our best player.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Rooney, Fellaini, Smalling, Young, Depay, Schneiderlin, Carrick?? We could do so much better than this lot.

Jacko21

We need a new manager. Who has a plan on what he is doing - who buys players to fit a system. Mourinho has to go - and I know we can't sack a manager after 5 matches in the League - but it would probably be better if we did.
Are you trolling?

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
We need a new manager. Who has a plan on what he is doing - who buys players to fit a system. Mourinho has to go - and I know we can't sack a manager after 5 matches in the League - but it would probably be better if we did.
Get. A. Grip.

Mourinho got exactly what we needed over the summer in our weakest positions.

We're five games in for feck sake, calm the hell down

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Didn't even think he was bad today, per se.. By that I mean he only got caught out of position once iicr? The problem, in my opinion, is that he offers no balance to the team, in fact doesn't offer anything - he's a complete passenger. One of Pogba, Rooney or Ibra got to be dropped and it's fecking obvious who the elephant in the room is.
He's a captain that inspires who?
He's a footballer that offers nothing to our play.

If he was creating chances or nicking the odd goal fair enough we'd give him a bit of leeway. He's our 4th best striker and 3rd best number 10, games pass him by and we're all supposed to ignore it because Pogba didn't do much or Zlatan was crowded out. These guys are both directly and indirectly affected by a passenger that we're carrying. He has to go before we focus on other problems in the team.

siw2007

Worst performance of the season so far. Once again, we show that we are a group of individuals and not a team. We have great players, but they will only play like great players when they play as part of a collective group, and I see no progress here yet.

Don't think i can pick one good performer today, maybe Mata who did quite well when he came on. We really should have got the second as we were on top at this point but no complaints as to who won the match.

Mourinho has got to be very careful here. With the farce that happened at Chelsea last year, he is under pressure to make sure it's a 1 off. But with results turning for the worst, there will be murmurings as to whether he has lost the plot. Right now he needs to shoulder the blame and not throw his players under the bus. In training he has got to get these players working better together as a unit, otherwise this will go on.

buckooo1978

Pretty bad interview. He moaned about the officials for the most part. Its like he's learned nothing.
which is what you want to hear in public.....

in private he better be ripping them new ones

first time Jose has lost 3 in a row since Porto 2002

VanGaalyTime

Agree with those who say we are reactive rather than proactive. Manchester United should not going to places like Feyenoord and Watford afraid of the attacking talents of Kuyt and Deeney (with all due respected). We should be pinning them back immediately. To do so, we need to STOP with the two defensive midfielders nonsense and put two up front. We have two strong strikers in Rooney and Ibra, and yet they're both either chasing lost causing or playing so deep they have to cross themselves. It's also stupid to rely upon full backs for ALLLLLLL of our attacks. Look, Shaw is fine. But he's not Bale. Valencia is adequate. But he's not Ronaldo. Remove the emphasis on crossing from full back, focus more on building through the midfield with players like Herrera and Pogba. And then allow Martial and Rashford to create the width that leaves space for Rooney and Ibra in the box. We could also just drop Rooney and play Depay up front with Ibra.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
If someone has the nads to drop Rooney it's this manager. Wayne's looking like a pub player now.

I'm confidently predicting he's benched for Leicester.

Slightly worrying that we're crying out for an ageing Carrick.
I said this in another thread. I think today's loss may force Mourinhos hand on Rooney and I agree we are crying out for Carrick.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
United have spent in the region of £200m since Fergie left on trying to revamp the midfield and it's still horribly unbalanced.

The sooner Mourinho has the balls to drop Rooney the better for all involved, he is barely even a player these days and certainly not a midfielder.

He can't burst forward and get in the box anymore.
He doesn't create anything as a #10.
He's not good enough defensively to sit and hold.

All he is now is a luxury player in a midfield 3, somebody who can spray 60 yard Hollywood passes about when he has space and no pressure but when pressed can't control or make a 5 yard pass and beyond that has no final ball whatsoever.

Pogba has been poor recently but he's being utilized incorrectly, surrounded by players who don't contribute towards a balanced midfield and is expected to take games by the scruff of the neck and be a midfield general. He's a brilliant player on his day but (certainly not yet anyway) never in a million years a controller of games.

I don't really know what the solution is to be honest. Perhaps Fellaini, Blind and Pogba would work. Fellaini can do most of the dirty work as he has been doing but he's got an intelligent reader of the game in Blind alongside him who can sweep up should he make mistakes and is also one of the better passers of the ball in the club, assuming he deals with being pressured and the role of keeping things ticking over (possibly Carrick could do this but I think he's just not the player he was and hasn't got the legs anymore) whilst Pogba will be free'd up a bit more defensively.

Certainly can't be worse than persisting with the Rooney idea.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So much money spent and more money won't solve anything at all. Clubs will see how desperate we are now and they will take us to the cleaners when buying their players.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Looked as bad creatively as the last 2-3 years. Our only salvation is Ibra can gives something by himself but it's same old outside of that.

While we can look to refs and bad luck, our forward play is pitiful. Last season we relied on Martial beating 2-3 players as we could barely create anything. We know Mata can produce a good ball once in 5-7 games. We can't put teams under real pressure and our passing breaks down too often. Rooney was criminal today.

I still think the likes of Fellaini, Mata and Rooney plus some others are to blame, we're still shit and we still have these bad Moyes buys killing the club. Not saying they can't do well on occasion but we have a weird collection of players.

We need a Moyes LVG cleansing. We seem to be accommodating 40 million Mata and 30 million Fellaini.

I still have faith in Mourinho to change a few things and even get us playing better than the previous managers but how long do keep this rabble of part timers.
I think Ibra is a part od the problem.

Ban

Get BFS out of ice and play Carrick. BFS as his sub when needed.

Drop Rooney.

I expect him starting vs Leicester though.

redNATION

I just cant get my head around it. We have thrown so much money at the problem, but the team still lacks a cohesive midfield and a commanding centre back. I cant believe we havent replaced Carrick with another deep lying playmaker. And its not like City's team, which has the likes of Fernandinho, Kolarov and Sterling, is out of this world, but they are blowing these types of team away, whilst we have no intensity or desire!!

El Zoido

In our next four league games we have Leicester, Liverpool and Chelsea. We need to improve massively and very quickly. I could see Liverpool giving us an absolute tanking at this rate.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Oh, and you need much more impact from out-wide than I've currently seen IMO aswell. Martial is a shell of the player he was last season at the moment and the best RW option currently still seems to be an 18 year old centre-forward.

MooseTheMooche

Maybe Simeone? There's been talk he's looking elsewhere...
He will go to Inter Milan. I remember him saying that he wants to coach the teams with which he has some emotional connection (he was a player for Inter during his footballing days). Zanetti seems pretty certain that once Simeone's contract is up with Atleti, he will be their manager

Jig1234

Different manager same crap. Rooney FC. Rodgers had the balls to bin Gerrard but Moyes, Van Gaal & Mourinho can't see how bobbins this player is. Not just him many others that are rubbish but he wanted 4 players he got all 4 players who he chose to keep and sell is on him. Jose looks washed up. I don't understand why three managers are so afraid to drop Rooney. He been passed it for 4+ years now. We won't win or challenge until we've moved on from him. Regardless of who's in charge.

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
Pretty bad interview. He moaned about the officials for the most part. Its like he's learned nothing.
I like it. It's who he is and he's been too polite and out of character so far. About time he speaks his mind.

Jacko21

The sooner Mourinho has the balls to drop Rooney the better for all involved, he is barely even a player these days and certainly not a midfielder.
Worth remembering, against Feyeonord, he was dropped for a midfield of Schneiderlin, Herrera and Pogba (who many have called for) and we lost 1-0.

Not advocating him remaining by any means, just worth noting for those who think Rooney out equals problem solved. It's becoming apparent that may not be the case.

Ban

In our next four league games we have Leicester, Liverpool and Chelsea. We need to improve massively and very quickly. I could see Liverpool giving us an absolute tanking at this rate.
We have Stoke in between but yeah. Need to do something quickly.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I admit im starting to get worried, the team were shockingly poor today.

I stand behind Jose, but the players are the ones I blame. I think we showed today we wont win the league, we are good enough to qualify for Champions league but certainly we wont win the league based on this performance.

We have to stick with Jose and hope he comes good, what is the alternative?

diarm

Beginning to wonder why we were so adamant we needed a manager with experience and a history of achievement. This is two in a row now, both with great experience and full trophy cabinets, and neither can identify a pub league standard player stinking up the side for 90 minutes every week.

pjaya

Ppl keep saying we played only 5 games in pl but we have already lost 2 games in a trot. And I don't see any changes possible

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
It's far too early to judge Maureen, it was all going well until City, and I don't mind if he uses the EL to give players game time. I don't understand the obsession with accommodating Rooney by Maureen and predecessors. It would be strange for him to fail here on the basis of loyalty to a captain that is clearly past his best, and shouldn't be in the starting 11. Why the deck didn't we buy a proper DM as well?

reddevil702

Biggest issue seems to be the formation. Although Rooney played like shite! The biggest problem is even when he has a good game now he's not a good enough 10 to sacrifice the positioning of other players in order to accommodate, mainly Pogba. Switch to the 4-3-3 give Pogba the attacking freedom he needs and have Carrick, Schneiderlin, Fellaini , and Herrera rotate he other two positions. Because right now there is nothing coming from the midfield.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
We need to get shot of every player that played under SAF, know it sounds crazy but the players in the latter years of SAF weren't that good, they were held together by a manager with the charisma not seen in football really, noe they're showing they're mentally weak, as soon as we take a hit the heads go down, and that transfers to the others.

Then get rid of the other deadwood who have been effected by these three years of crap, Memphis, Darmain etc, then maybe we'll have a chance to get some people with strong characters in this United team that has been lacking for years!

Festive Sandvich

Goes without saying that it was a poor performance, but all of those stating that Jose looks to be last his best already could be very premature. Yes it went wrong for him at Chelsea, but there was a serious off-field incident as a distraction, and he had just won the league the season before. Can a manager go out of date in one season, after 15 years of success? Doubtful.

Ban

I admit im starting to get worried, the team were shockingly poor today.

I stand behind Jose, but the players are the ones I blame. I think we showed today we wont win the league, we are good enough to qualify for Champions league but certainly we wont win the league based on this performance.

We have to stick with Jose and hope he comes good, what is the alternative?
He is the one to blame for not dropping Rooney.

Winning the league? We should be happy if we get top 4 at this rate.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 601 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Watford 0:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Watford 1:2 Man Utd