PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 May 2018

GM K

"It was not an easy match because today we did not play for an objective. The only one was to try to break the 80 points barrier. All the eyes are on the final next weekend. It was difficult to have the players focused and committed."

"Anthony was injured in training yesterday. Something in his left knee and it was impossible to play. He is already a big doubt for the final next week. The supporters read the newspapers, they listen to the pundits, they eat the food that you give them. This has caused problems, but he missed today's game because he was injured."

Jose, after the Watford game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fair. But cant exactly say that hes been consistent at all. The times we happen to play quickly and commit bodies forward and attack with pace is also when he looks better and his good moments happen. Otherwise hes pretty ineffective as well.

A big part of my issue with Mourinho is that we as a team have shown we are capable of playing on the front foot, dominating, creating chances, etc. when it's needed. So why not do that more often? It's way too cautious from the beginning and a lot of times, it's hard to suddenly turn a switch and go into game chasing attack mode. Our defensive players with Matic in front surely aren't that bad that he can't trust the team to open up more and be more flowing from the first minute, which would improve all of our attack minded players and generally lead to a happier crowd? Defence would concede more likely, but I'm sure every one of us would take that over the dross we see now.

stu_1992

Sounds like it was a dull match to end the league season. Decent goal, especially the pass by Carrick to make the move happen. Nice for him to have a good contribution in his final career. Nice words after the game too. Bit disappointing to not see any youngsters get their chance, and to not see a little more attacking play.

Last edited:

SammyUnited_83

Sounds like it was a dull match to end the league season. Decent goal, especially the pass by Carrick to make the move happen. Nice for him to have a good contribution in his final career. Nice words after the game too. Bit disappointing to not see any youngsters get their chance, and to not see a bit more attacking play.
It was shite. The fact people are trying to throw out excuses for it, is a joke.

The fans yet again have been let down, it's painful to watch and worse than van gaal. Yes the results are better, but I would seriously reconsider if this is the man that will take us forward... his football is absolute dross.

Why not play some youngsters... I don't get it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Rashford was first choice (albeit alternating with Martial fairly evenly) for the first couple of months of the season. He was no better then, and eventually he was rightfully dropped for Martial who was playing better.

Rashford has been poor all season. His decision making has normally been terrible, and he's been much more selfish than he showed in his previous seasons. His entire attitude has been poor this season. Mourinho has quite obviously wanted to play him, and he simply hasn't performed well enough to deserve it.

There may have been things that Mourinho could have done better with him, but overall I would say that the majority of the blame goes on Rashford himself. He isn't one of the ones who can claim that he's been treated harshly (like Martial and perhaps Shaw could do).
Rashford was doing brilliantly until November time when he lost his place to Martial who was doing brilliantly until January when he lost his place when we signed Sanchez.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Fitting end to an utterly underwhelming league campaign, so far behind in second that third or fourth place wouldn’t have been any better. I’m still on the fence about Jose, maybe more hope than expectation but it is what it is. Farewell to Michael Carrick....part of one the greatest ever United sides and that’s something he can be very proud of and we can look back on fondly

Offside

Who is now doing shite!!!
He’s done okay but it seems like a strange signing when we needed a proper right-sided player. I think Jose said at the time that some players are just too good to pass-up on when they become available and maybe Alexis will prove that next season.

SammyUnited_83

Fitting end to an utterly underwhelming league campaign, so far behind in second that third or fourth place wouldn’t have been any better. I’m still on the fence about Jose, maybe more hope than expectation but it is what it is. Farewell to Michael Carrick....part of one the greatest ever United sides and that’s something he can be very proud of and we can look back on fondly
Well said re Carrick.

Is he the last piece of that fantastic team / era to move aside?

It was sad to see him go, and also it's a reminder of how we have fallen.

manichester

11 blokes strolling around on a sunny afternoon looking lost and lonely. Wait 75000 people are watching you and there are TV cameras broadcasting to millions. Rinse and repeat 11 blokes etc.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Enjoyed Carrick's involvement.

We're so shit on the break though. Just inept. It might be a nothing game but good football is fun and there was opportunity for it today. Always an under or overhit pass, or the wrong decision, or hesitation. Zero ruthlessness, all season.

predator

Youth NITK
Didn't watch as I was working / paying attention to the whole day of football as opposed to our individual game. By the sounds of it though it was a boring game and was not convincing at all however are these the games we would've dropped points in under Moyes or LVG? A win is a win I guess.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What a year of outstanding teamwork, tactics and entertainment. I love how the youth developed and the European big guns looked on in awe, hoping that Jose reverts to norm and gets us playing safe. Next year is our year la. It can't start soon enough. Now let's smash Chelsea with the only shot on target in the full 90 mins. God I love this game. Attacking football is for p*ssies.
:lol: Superb.

edgar allan

This fecking thread. Not just not under-appreciating Carrick. Most of them are not remotely interested in football, never mind United.
Lets be honest we didn't play much football today at all to talk about.
Everyone respects Carrick for the service he gave to the club. Not giving him the MOM today on an internet forum is unlikely to cause him grievous hurt

James Peril

Really don’t understand the bitching on here, what were people really expecting today? We were resting like eight of our best players and have a cup final next week. Several of the players will most likely not be here next season, it’s not like they are brimming with motivation. Furthermore, we’re playing Carrick like it’s a testimonial with a kid next to him (a midfield duo most likely worse than what WBA could field on an average day) - it’s not like we’re going to blitz whomever is in front of us. Luckily Watford were comfortably on the beach already, or else we could have lost by a couple of goals.

We won the game and it’s all good, it’s all about next week. We’re in the business of winning real trophies after all, we don’t have to win 5-4 on the last day.

The game was absolutely crap, by all means, but this one didn’t count.

davidmichael

If ever there was a game to get fans excited for next season by playing a few youngsters then this was it as playing the likes of Darmian, Blind and Rojo who’ll all likely/hopefully be gone in the summer was ridiculous.

Chong, Gomes and Laird would all have been perfect choices to have brought on at the hour mark as it would have lifted the crowd and as seen with Rashford and Fosu-Mensah in their debut seasons our youngsters play with no fear, I don’t think other than Carrick playing well in his last game and me being sad to see him go I’ve got anything to add to today’s dull affair.

Red00012

Didn’t see the game and by all accounts I missed nothing. Like it’s been said already why not blood a few youngsters. He played Harrop last season why not play Gomes today, give them a bit of confidence for the summer, get them on the tour instead we’re looking at the like of blind who’s not going to be here next season.

Trizy

How are people annoyed by the game/result. We won by playing our B team. It was basically a testimonial for Carrick and players who will be shipped off to give them one last game at Old Trafford.

ghagua

One more game to before we can put this dreadful (footballing wise) season behind us.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Rashford was doing brilliantly until November time when he lost his place to Martial who was doing brilliantly until January when he lost his place when we signed Sanchez.
Rashford hasn't been brilliant at any time this season (barring the occasional individual match). Pretty much everyone wanted him dropped to the bench at least a month before he actually was, and right from the beginning of the season there have been question marks over his attitude. It just hasn't happened for him this season.

Fingers crossed he'll come back strong next season.

I do agree that Martial was doing very well until he was moved around with the purchase of Sanchez.

Judas

Open to offers
I think the match was exactly as expected. Would have at least been interesting to see one youngster thrown in to add a bit of intrigue.

Basically all the lads that don't play, showed why they don't.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Didn't see a kick, how'd Carrick play?
He faded as the match wore on, but he was the best player on the field in the first half. Really showed what we are missing without him. The vision to see what passes are available and decision making to figure out which ones to choose...it's just something none of our other players can do and regularly got us on the front foot.

Set up the goal with a great ball over the top straight onto Mata's foot who had an easy pass to Rashford when they were 2 on 1 with the keeper.

The_Order

We keep up this erudite ponderous football, we can kiss sponsors goodbye because nobody will want to watch this dreck.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Really don’t understand the bitching on here, what were people really expecting today? We were resting like eight of our best players and have a cup final next week. Several of the players will most likely not be here next season, it’s not like they are brimming with motivation. Furthermore, we’re playing Carrick like it’s a testimonial with a kid next to him (a midfield duo most likely worse than what WBA could field on an average day) - it’s not like we’re going to blitz whomever is in front of us. Luckily Watford were comfortably on the beach already, or else we could have lost by a couple of goals.

We won the game and it’s all good, it’s all about next week. We’re in the business of winning real trophies after all, we don’t have to win 5-4 on the last day.

The game was absolutely crap, by all means, but this one didn’t count.
That's the thing, for one game that meant absolutely feck all, throwing in some youngsters on top of Carrick's testimonial would have been better.
If we cannot expect some excitment in a meaningless match then when can we ? A terrible game with one shot on target for the last home game of the season. What a way to end it..

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The baffling thing for me is that unless they lose the players appear completely unaware that the football they are playing is dire. The manager tells them to do something, they do it, they get the win, job done. They are playing in a stadium, which means people are paying good money to watch them, so surely they have a duty as a Manchester United player, what the club is all about, to entertain paying customers?

We are back to the scenario where unless the crowd voice their discontent the players are blissfully unaware. Yesterday was Michael's day so you would think they would have made it a game to remember.

mu4c_20le

The baffling thing for me is that unless they lose the players appear completely unaware that the football they are playing is dire. The manager tells them to do something, they do it, they get the win, job done. They are playing in a stadium, which means people are paying good money to watch them, so surely they have a duty as a Manchester United player, what the club is all about, to entertain paying customers?
I agree with your observation, but don't find as baffling because like you said, the manager tells them to do something and they do it. That is their job. Entertainment comes at a great cost though, just think of the backlash every time one of Pogba's flicks don't come off. At the end of the day it's the manager's job to deliver attacking football imo.

Skolden

We keep up this erudite ponderous football, we can kiss sponsors goodbye because nobody will want to watch this dreck.
Dont worry about that.

Sponsors don't care about how the football is played lol. It is not like we will lose all fans in 1-2 seasons of boring football.

Last edited by a moderator:

buckooo1978

as poor as we've been in recent weeks Chelsea have been worse

we've a week to prepare and Mourinho and United have performed well in the big games in 2018.

just hope Lukaku is ready and Martial is available.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think the match was exactly as expected. Would have at least been interesting to see one youngster thrown in to add a bit of intrigue.

Basically all the lads that don't play, showed why they don't.
But we've been playing the same boring clueless-in-attack football even with our first choice players for most of the season.

Offside

Rashford hasn't been brilliant at any time this season (barring the occasional individual match). Pretty much everyone wanted him dropped to the bench at least a month before he actually was, and right from the beginning of the season there have been question marks over his attitude. It just hasn't happened for him this season.
Completely untrue. From the first day of the season right up until late November time he was smashing it. Then Lingard and Martial started to play more often instead of him. He has 13 goals this season and 9 of them came in the first few months of the season. I remember against Huddersfield people were saying he’s the only shining lining in our team.

IRELANDUNITED

He faded as the match wore on, but he was the best player on the field in the first half. Really showed what we are missing without him. The vision to see what passes are available and decision making to figure out which ones to choose...it's just something none of our other players can do and regularly got us on the front foot.

Set up the goal with a great ball over the top straight onto Mata's foot who had an easy pass to Rashford when they were 2 on 1 with the keeper.
Could he be involved in any way on Saturday? Maybe off the bench in the last 10 minutes or so?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought Darmian had his best game I can remember for the first 80mins of the game (until Richarlison burned him for pace).

My MOTM was Rojo who had that wonder challenge in the box whilst on a yellow.

Young is probably the most frightening tackler in the game. Ouch.

Our corners are still terrible. How long has it been? 10 years? More?

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 217 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Man Utd 2:0 Watford
  • 14% Man Utd 3:0 Watford