PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 March 2019

Run_time_error

Midfield totally off the pace today, no touch at all. Great pass from Shaw, showing them how and a hard working defence kept Watford at bay. Mata was on wasn't he? Or did the bloke down the pub nick his shirt and play instead. Hope they pick their game up for the next one.

PoTMS

Any chance we have against Barcelona rests solely on the game at the Nou Camp. We will either draw or lose at OT.

R'hllor

3 pts, not good enough and unacceptable performance. 2 games in a row now.

This shit wont fly for long.

SER19

Following Martials goal, this is the first season since 1995/96 that United have had 4 players score 10+ goals.

That’s one positive.
I’m shocked by that, league goals surely? As in 99 surely Yorke Cole solskjaer Sheringham Scholes and even Giggs hit double I think

Bobski

Matic and Sanchez. I hope the next time people complain about us targeting guys around 30 they remember those 2.

Gomes

Matic gets the hate as usual. Even when Pogba and Herrera were both worse.

Judas

Open to offers
The thing is, I wasn't surprised by this performance. It's sort of been like this for a little while now. I'm not sure whats got into us, but we just look like we're short of energy, and ideas.

To be fair selection didn't help, Mata did what Mata does, and it brought its usual issues. Thats just picking on him, but there were too many players out there that simply aren't up to the task anymore.

RedIan

Happy to take 3 points but we should be dominating games like this not sitting back hoping for break aways whilst letting watford play and have 20 shots.

Need to get back to the early swash buckling attacking games under ole whilst retaining some control on the game.

Red Viking

The performance was way under what is acceptable and the entire team deserves serious criticism for it. We have been performing extremely poor for some time but got lucky with some results. The performance levels can not be tolerated going forward as at times we look like a lower half team that simply lack the qualities that makes for a title challenging team. We need players that are actually good with a football with good passing and off the ball movement. We have to many players that are simply not intelligent or technical enough to play for a title aspiring team.

Ole have to get it right in the summer tranfor window or he will fail next season.

Heinzesight

Shit game. Two major talking points for me:

Rashfords hair? Just shave that bit at back for God’s sake.

Mata’s hair? Definitely had a bit of thickening spray.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Some players who were performing have suddenly gone to shit.

To be honest, it's about grinding out these matches and getting the 3 points anyway we can. Need a very good pre-season and lots of work on our fitness.

As I've said, Ole needs to add to his coaching staff.

Also, if any player isn't 100% committed just get rid of them.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
That was awful, and I hope Ole tells them that.

But a win is a win, especially with Spuds likely to drop points.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
It is concerning how the performances are on a downward curve for a while. Another poor showing, another lucky three points. Someone will punish us again.

purgethefallen

Manchester United 1:0 Watford - Rashford (28')

Manchester United 2:0 Watford - Martial (72')

Manchester United 2:1 Watford - Doucoure (90')

Match Stats

Possession
Man Utd 52%
Watford 48%

Shots
Man Utd 8
Watford 20

Shots on Target
Man Utd 5
Watford 8

Corners
Man Utd 3
Watford 5

Fouls
Man Utd 14
Watford 9
Only the Watford goal is working for me.

Giggs' right foot

Terrible performance. We often look either tired or rusty - I can't wrap my head around that. We should outwork most oppositions and today I think it was mostly our defence that worked their asses off.

If you didn't know better you'd say that we need a brand new midfield based on this game. Matic is kind of slow and declining but Herrera and Pogba didn't do much either. Maybe McTominay actually is better than Matic at this point and maybe Fred should replace Herrera if the latter really wanna leave.

Having Martial is both frustrating as hell and rewarding. He shows glimpses of his brilliancy but my god he can be anonymous.

All in all important 3 points but the performance was poor. The upside is that we now have a manager that we know also is disappointed - under Mou you got the impression that the most boring games had gone exactly the way he wanted.

Hughie77

Watford this was, not Barcelona, wtf is going to happen, got 2nd worse defensive record in prem at home. Only thing I will give them is the international break may have broken some concentration?
Still utter rubbish but 3pts is main thing. Ole must have been shitting himself. Improvement needed 100%. This was bad

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Why the hell don't we press. We just sit back in shape and wait for opponents to come at us even against far weaker teams. The only game we did press was against Cardiff, Ole first game in charge.

OneUnited24

The state of some of you. Ok it was a bad performance but that’s usually what follows after a international break. Hell look at city earlier today.

That said a axis of Herrera and Matic just doesn’t work against teams that press. We need more creativity there. Playing mata and Pogba is pointless. They both stick narrow and congest the middle.

fellaini's barber

If we go into next season with Matic and Young as starters it would mean we have no ambitions to challenge for anything major

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I have come to a realization that I might not see beautiful football at United in my lifetime anymore. I long for that three year period between 2006-2009 again. After this display and recent one, I don’t know when that will be possible.

OneUnited24

Why the hell don't we press. We just sit back in shape and wait for opponents to come at us even against far weaker teams. The only game we did press was against Cardiff, Ole first game in charge.
I’d disagree we did that for a lot of his early games but fitness is a huge issue in the squad.

Shark

@NotShark
These players need a major kick up the arse. The ones that are good enough, not the ones that clearly need to be booted. It’s been appalling since PSG.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Felt like Ole was practicing counterattack. Not that hard to figure out why.

Robindinho

Happy with the win/3 points but that was garbage!

Where was the midfield? So sloppy when in possession and literally just walking around the pitch.

God knows what’s happened since PSG

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
Not a great performance, but this HAS to be Matic’s last season as a first-teamer. He’s shockingly past-it now.

Herrera had on one of his headless chicken days, and when you combine that with Young’s usual headless chickenry and Mata doing his best impression of a 12 year old pre-pubescent boy’s physical presence, we might as well not have a right side on the field.
Brilliant expression :lol:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sluggish. Lots of players need to go up several levels in the weeks ahead.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
How on earth is Phil Jones only 6.8 rating by our fans - he was immense at the back.

Pogba Matic Herrera Mata and Young were woeful.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Smalling, Jones (along with Shaw) were our best players. Says it all really.

Toni's Left Foot

Feel physically sick after that performance. I would not be able to sleep if I performed at that level at my job. I hope they take the team bus straight back to Carrington and continue working on the basics which the players clearly lack. Feck off.

If I could, I would give the win to Watford without hesitation.
Really? You are a strange one.

Shimo

Incredible that we get dominated at home like that. It was like we just couldn't be bothered to close down. Entire game we just let them have time on the ball or we backpedalled. That's where their goal came from - Young backing up and us not engaging.

Pogba - I'd rate him at 2 at best. This is where he needs to find a way that if he is not having a great game with the ball, at least work his socks off on the other side - that kind of effort will inspire the rest and the crowd. Hope it's not a case of he doesn't have something to prove now that Ole's at the wheel.

3 points though - that's the name of the game from here till end of the season.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 71% of 519 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 346 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw