g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 March 2019

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pogba, Matic and Herrera were absolutely dreadful this afternoon and they were largely the reason for our poor showing. They provided zero protection for the back four (who bailed them out time and again with last-ditch defending) and they contributed nothing to our attack.

Upgrades are needed in many areas of the team this summer, none more so than the midfield area. Matic is past his best and Herrera is too inconsistent to be relied upon.

GiddyUp

I can only assume Herrera and Matić still carry an injury because that was abysmal from both of them. Pogba was awful as well but we know he's not injured, so I don't understand what happened there. Midfield was non existent today.
Right now half our team give consistantly average performances. It hinders every really good player from showing us what they can do. Although our CB was resiliant today this was Watford at OT, no way should we be giving up 20 attempts. Young and Matic just dont have it. I like Herrera but again consistancy is a problem. A functional RW will go a long way to solving our problem and if we cant get that WC CB then we should definitely be snapping up Alderweireld just for a little more control in our box.
Right now wins are far more important then performances. A clean summer and some team building in the summer will makes us play a lot better.

Sing you a song

Wow. Impressive stat and very surprising given the way most of the season has been
Yes but our top scorer in the premiership ( Lukaku) only has a total of 12 same problem season after season we do not have a 25 goal a season man .
Rashford for all his improvement and playing CF more than ever is still not a consistent goal scorer we desperately need a clinical finisher

SER19

Rather them than a PL side. I don't have too many hopes for the CL anyways.
It's going to be difficult to overtake Arsenal as it is.
Our next games are wolves away, West Ham home, Everton away. We need to win all three to have a chance at top 4 I think.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Luke Shaw MOTM by a margin. Smalling and Jones decent too.

Everyone else was shite. Especially in central midfield. Matic and Hererra are limited players but it’s a bit of a fecking worry when there’s three French CMs on the pitch and Pogba is the worst, by a country mile.

ErranMorad

That was incredibly tough to sit through. The midfield was non-existent. Matic looked like the Matic from the start of the season and Pogba and Herrera looked like their minds were more in Madrid and Paris respectively than in Manchester.

Don't know what to make of it. The performances have tapered off pretty drastically. We are on an 11-2-1 run since Ole's arrival, but looking at the performances and the remaining games it doesn't look like we are going to make the top 4.

Ole needs to wake this feckers up. Playing in Europa again will be fecking terrible.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
West Ham (3-1 defeat), Wolves (last Week) or Brighton (3-2 defeat) were worse. I don't want to defend the performance, it was crap, but we have been worse (what is really sad).
I'm not sure any of those games were worse than today. They just had worse results.

We could have lost 4-0 today and had little complaint.

Ace of Spades

That was poor. We need to stop rushing players back in after injury, at least not all of them at once. McTominay was starting to settle in, and based on the recent performances he should be starting ahead of Matic. Fred played well against Arsenal, and should have kept his place ahead of Herrera. Both of Matic and Herrera have looked well off the pace after coming back from their injuries.

RedDevil-85

Happy with the win but feck me,Watford dominated us.
Our Old Trafford form is very worrying,Ole need to fix it asap.
Pogba seems to be mentally in Madrid already,should be dropped if he doesnt step up next game.
Disappointing performance but important 3 points.

SER19

Yes but our top scorer in the premiership ( Lukaku) only has a total of 12 same problem season after season we do not have a 25 goal a season man .
Rashford for all his improvement and playing CF more than ever is still not a consistent goal scorer we desperately need a clinical finisher
For me whether he’s popular or not lukaku has to be starting. With the right set up around him he will score which is ultimately what you need from the striker.

mu4c_20le

”Comfortable”? Explain yourself.
We were up by two until the very end. They never really threatened us with any clear chances. We were coming off back to back losses in a must win game to keep top 4 alive.. sure we could ahve attacked a bit more but werent as bad as some are making it out to be.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Been poor for the last three or four games. Cannot remember exactly.

Worrying stuff.

We completely were beat up in MF today.

Sing you a song

Pogba, Matic and Herrera were absolutely dreadful this afternoon and they were largely the reason for our poor showing. They provided zero protection for the back four (who bailed them out time and again with last-ditch defending) and they contributed nothing to our attack.

Upgrades are needed in many areas of the team this summer, none more so than the midfield area. Matic is past his best and Herrera is too inconsistent to be relied upon.
Pogba has disappeared again after a few decent performances when Ole 1st came in who is he going to blame this time .
He’s the most overrated player in world football

Litch

We will play better but let's be under no illusion that in order to challenge we need a minimum of four players that go into the first 11.....

SirFergie

Wish people would stop going on about fecking Barca. Forget Barca. We've got Wolves on Tuesday.

We're significantly worse at home, especially against high pressing teams so think issue could be mental but Herrera, Matic and Martial look like they're still injured.

Pogba has no excuse.

Canagel

Mata was a joke too. It's pathetic how weak and slow this guy is. Very painful to watch the counter attack with Mata in it.

Thiagoal

Hopefully Wolves will be playing their reserves with cup semi next weekend otherwise there's no chance we win there!

Sing you a song

For me whether he’s popular or not lukaku has to be starting. With the right set up around him he will score which is ultimately what you need from the striker.
I agree up to a point but I honestly don’t see him as 25 + lge goals a season especially with his diabolical record against the top teams

Minimalist

See Shaw said we were awful in the second half. Least we're not pretending otherwise.

settembrini

The midfield today was so awful that if we started our next game with Fred, McTominay and Pereira nobody could complain.

Lukeinchina

Young, Mata, Matic all should leave in the summer, unfortunately I suspect none of them will.

Smalling, Jones and particularly Shaw were very solid.

For a world class player, Pogba's base rate when he isn't having a good game is the worst I've seen. Wouldn't be fussed if he left and a less bipolar replacement could be found.

Ole made a good tactical change to go from 433 to a diamond after 10 minutes, but I haven't seen him be as ruthless with a substitution or dropping an underperforming star yet. I think that will be the make or break element of his time at Utd.

Last edited by a moderator:

siw2007

A struggle today. Flashes of our best in 1st half but otherwise were 2nd best for most of the game. Happy to get away with the win though.

TRUERED89

Watford were all over us, I was terrified they’d get the first goal, then it could have been more of a struggle. Happy to get over the line with 3 points, but boy do we need to wake up, Wolves away will be much harder.

Cockney Phil

Bit of an ugly win but usually a sign of fundamentally a good side. We turned around a couple of stupid defeats.

Pogba looked off today but the defenders had a great game given the pressure they were under as our midfield became overwhelmed or by-passed.

We’re still on track for a good run in.

Judas

Open to offers
When Herrera performs like that, you wonder why we're making such a fuss over him going.

Trouble with a lot of our squad is when they're bad they're so bad they might as well not be on the pitch. We've got too many players whose form are very spotty.

SER19

I agree up to a point but I honestly don’t see him as 25 + lge goals a season especially with his diabolical record against the top teams
Maybe. I could see it though, if we hit a really good level and his role is goals. A world class top level striker would make an enormous difference and considering that’s what we need at right wing, dm and cb, I fear it’s a big ask to see it happen soon.

JohnnyKills

Matic and Sanchez. I hope the next time people complain about us targeting guys around 30 they remember those 2.
Yeah was thinking the same.

Since Fergie retired we've signed five players over the age of 27: Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, Matic and Sánchez. Not exactly a hall of fame is it.

Post-27-year-old signings were banned at the end of Fergie's time. We should go back to that rule.

JohnnyKills

Pogba has disappeared again after a few decent performances when Ole 1st came in who is he going to blame this time .
He’s the most overrated player in world football
Yep. If we can get Madrid to pay £150m it'll be a good deal for us.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm not sure any of those games were worse than today. They just had worse results.

We could have lost 4-0 today and had little complaint.
I dunno, there was a 20 minute spell in the first half where we were decent.

There's been games this season where we've been shite for the full 90

Minimalist

Yeah was thinking the same.

Since Fergie retired we've signed five players over the age of 27: Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, Matic and Sánchez. Not exactly a hall of fame is it.

Post-27-year-old signings were banned at the end of Fergie's time. We should go back to that rule.
Van Persie was older than that surely?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Luke Shaw reacts
Here’s what Shaw told The BBC:

We made it harder with the way we played. There were times when we weren’t at our best.

“We were awful in the second half, we were lucky with the result. The most important thing is the three points.

“We had a few chances but we didn’t take them. We need to get ourselves together again and focus on Wolves. We want to go there and get the win.

“I’m always confident when Rashford’s in front of goal, he likes to get in behind, it was a great finish and great composure.

“We need to forget about the game today because we were not at our best at all. We feel really good and confident, and fully trust Ole, and we’re looking forward to working with him for the years to come.”

JohnnyKills

Van Persie was older than that surely?
Was referring to the post-Fergie era but yeah, now I think about it, good point - Fergie broke his own rule for that one.

But even RVP was pretty much done after his first year. You can't build long-term success with players who only have one good year in them.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Andreas Pereira reacts to the win
Speaking to MUTV:

Very important we got the three points today to keep fighting for the top four, we didn’t start off well and didn’t play our best football today but at least we got the three points.

Impact as a sub, involvement in the winner...

It was a nice ball, Anthony saw me on the other side and I was free and after that when I saw Jesse on the overlap I could play him the ball and he crossed to Anthony and he could finish it off and it was a nice goal. I think he slipped and then put it in, so I’m very happy for him.

Rashford goal, what a pass from Luke Shaw?

He has a very good pass, in training he does a lot of them, finally he took one in the game so hopefully more to see from him.

Confident finish from Marcus?

He is a great player, everyone knows that, the form he is in, he’s clinical in front of goal, we know he needs one chance and he’ll score.

Tense end?

It was tense when they got the goal, we know the quality Jones, Smalling and Rojo have at the back and we stuck together.

Top four battle

Very important three points today and they all add up and help to the end of the season.

On Ole...

It’s been incredible, even the players we didn’t think we would come so far but we stuck together and Ole came and did a fantastic job with us and we are delighted to work with him and continue doing our job.

The fans on Ole., a big banner for him....

A very nice gesture from the fans, everyone loves him at the club so I think he’s the right man for the job.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 71% of 519 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 346 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw