PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 March 2019

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Im wondering whats going on with Pogba. I'm not seeing the gaselle like strides he took earlier in Oles tenure. 5 strides from midfield and he's already at the 16m line with the ball. Do more Paul.

Ban

Happy with the win but feck me,Watford dominated us.
Our Old Trafford form is very worrying,Ole need to fix it asap.
Pogba seems to be mentally in Madrid already,should be dropped if he doesnt step up next game.
Disappointing performance but important 3 points.
Please stop that Madrid stuff. Not any substance to it, just a bad game

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We were up by two until the very end. They never really threatened us with any clear chances. We were coming off back to back losses in a must win game to keep top 4 alive.. sure we could ahve attacked a bit more but werent as bad as some are making it out to be.
Yeah, am I the only one who agrees? For all Watford's ball domination, they weren't exactly cutting through with loads of great chances.
The American commentator guy reckoned they could be 4-1 up at one stage. Ridiculous.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah was thinking the same.

Since Fergie retired we've signed five players over the age of 27: Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, Matic and Sánchez. Not exactly a hall of fame is it.

Post-27-year-old signings were banned at the end of Fergie's time. We should go back to that rule.
Post 27? That's ridiculous.

it's about the individual player, not an arbitrary age limit

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When Herrera performs like that, you wonder why we're making such a fuss over him going.

Trouble with a lot of our squad is when they're bad they're so bad they might as well not be on the pitch. We've got too many players whose form are very spotty.
Herrera and Matic had a weird game where they seemed to struggle to pass the ball 5-8 yards at times, and often under hit it or gave it away.

Hopefully they're just playing themselves back into full fitness.

They need to, as in the next 7 games, only one of them is a "Banker"

Judas

Open to offers
We were up by two until the very end. They never really threatened us with any clear chances. We were coming off back to back losses in a must win game to keep top 4 alive.. sure we could ahve attacked a bit more but werent as bad as some are making it out to be.
We were at home to Watford, that wasn't good enough and people happy to accept that sort of display should raise their expectations a bit. They were the better team and we with a bit more quality, they would have won.

el3mel

Yeah was thinking the same.

Since Fergie retired we've signed five players over the age of 27: Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, Matic and Sánchez. Not exactly a hall of fame is it.

Post-27-year-old signings were banned at the end of Fergie's time. We should go back to that rule.
Van Persie.

ash_86

What a terrible performance from the team . Shaw was the only standout among them . This game was quite physical and needed Lukaku, already at the end but lingard was subbed who is poor against defensive teams. Can't wait for the season to get over and see what kind of players Ole will bring in and how we'll play next season

Betson

The win was thew important thing and we got that.

But the performance was poor again and if we don't make top 4 this season then we really have no complaints as over the course of the season we have just not been good enough.

Our big players just don't turn up often enough.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Poor start to both halves with midfield seemingly to be AWOL.

Smalling Jones played better after a shaky first 10 minutes. Shaw probably MOM.

Comfortable last 20 minutes of the first half and then were comfortable after the second goal until Lingard gave away two unnecessary free kicks near our box failed to head clear and a free kick at the other end he passes to an offside player. Pff.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
When Herrera performs like that, you wonder why we're making such a fuss over him going.

Trouble with a lot of our squad is when they're bad they're so bad they might as well not be on the pitch. We've got too many players whose form are very spotty.
Herrera can go if he wants.

He is a good footballer on his day, the trouble is those days are few and far between. He has struggled with consistency throughout his United career, we need to upgrade this summer if we hope to challenge for the title next season. Matic is clearly past his best and has been for a while now.

Foxbatt

I don't think the tactics were wrong apart from playing Mata.
The players should take responsibility for this mess .If they can't control the ball or pass it to a team mate then they should not be playing at this level.
That said how on Earth does Young and Matic get to play?
Surely even in the pl there are much better players than them in most clubs.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The players should take responsibility for this mess .If they can't control the ball or pass it to a team mate then they should not be playing at this level.
Mata was one of our better players?

Judas

Open to offers
Thing is the tactics simply don't function with Mata. He's too slow, he drifts inside making us narrow, he's getting more and more wasteful with the ball. He's basically the opposite of what I thought Ole was trying to achieve with us.

beedoubleyou

Shaw was outstanding today.

Again

Those snide feckers who were berating him for being ''fat" in the summer, when he was never anything of the sort, are an embarrassment to the forum.

Awful people, the very worst kind of "fan" and a disservice to all the amateur dieticians out there.

Jones was outstanding today too. Again, some right twats on here been making irrational calls for his head.

If Pogba worked as hard as they do... Well...

UnitedChampionsAgain

God help us if this is Ole making us "great again". Plus I thought he was going to have us playing the United way, fast free flowing football, loads of shots, goals etc. We're going backwards already and it's horrible to watch. Not all his fault ofcourse, some of those so called stars need to be thrown as far from the club as possible and quick..

MonkeysMagic

It’s worrying to see the team so utterly incapable of stringing passes together in opposition half. The usual excuses about intern’l break etc will be thrown but for a long time now the team has been displaying appalling technical ability when faced by opponents.

Welcome 3 points but games like today will result in losses more then wins and I simply don’t think throwing money at the problem isn’t going to solve it. There needs to be serious questions asked of what is going on at training?

Irwin99

Didn't see the game, was Matic really that bad or is it an overreaction? Gotta be worth trying Mctom for a few games if our midfield is failing us again like against Wolves.

Okey

Ole can't have been happy. That's wasn't good. We have to get better for the rest of the season. I'm hoping they'll get it right. Simples...

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
That was shit. 4/10 or worse performance by pretty much everyone bar Shaw, De gea, Smalling and Jones, but 3 points regardless so we cant really moan too much.

Has to be said though, we look very vulnerable against high press when Lindelof is not playing. Jones and Smalling are fine at defending, but they are not exactly ball playing center backs and it usually ends in a hoof. Does not help either when everyone ahead of them cant do the basics and Watford were out for blood

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
17:48
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reacts to the win
Speaking to MUTV he said:

It showed we had been away on international duty and that players had been injured and they weren’t 100% match fit yet but we got through it and that’s important. We started off sloppily, I think the first 20 minutes Watford deserved to take the lead. We were almost waiting for them to score but then we changed the system and Juan got into the game, we created chances and scored a great goal, could have had more goals. It was end to end, the second half was disappointing again.

Luke Shaw’s assist...

He was one of the big pluses with Anthony and Rashy up front, but, the two centre backs, Jonah especially and Chris, they defended really well and without them it would have been a different result.

Rashford’s finish...

Yeah, he’s confident, he’s practised more and more finishing not just his shots he wants to do more and more and he will turn into a very good goalscorer.

Sub decisions...

It’s energy, it’s young boys it’s our own academy players, we need energy. They spurred us on a little bit because we looked a little bit jaded after about an hour and they came on and made a difference.

Anthony get a knock?

Yeah, I’m not sure how he will be for Tuesday but we will check on him, we have a couple of days to get ready for Tuesday.

Now above Spurs...

We have been excellent the players have been magnificent. The training on Friday was the best training since I have been here, maybe too good. The training, the intensity, the focus was good then we came out here and we weren’t sure. When there’s three points at stake at there’s 76,000 people wanting you to do well it’s different but after 15/20 minutes we could see the potential in the group and second half we were nowhere near.

Banner as you came out...

I have to say the fans have been unbelievable with me ever since I came here in 1996 but now today they made it special it’s not about me, it’s about the players.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
17:48
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reacts to the win
Speaking to MUTV he said:

It showed we had been away on international duty and that players had been injured and they weren’t 100% match fit yet but we got through it and that’s important. We started off sloppily, I think the first 20 minutes Watford deserved to take the lead. We were almost waiting for them to score but then we changed the system and Juan got into the game, we created chances and scored a great goal, could have had more goals. It was end to end, the second half was disappointing again.

Luke Shaw’s assist...

He was one of the big pluses with Anthony and Rashy up front, but, the two centre backs, Jonah especially and Chris, they defended really well and without them it would have been a different result.

Rashford’s finish...

Yeah, he’s confident, he’s practised more and more finishing not just his shots he wants to do more and more and he will turn into a very good goalscorer.

Sub decisions...

It’s energy, it’s young boys it’s our own academy players, we need energy. They spurred us on a little bit because we looked a little bit jaded after about an hour and they came on and made a difference.

Anthony get a knock?

Yeah, I’m not sure how he will be for Tuesday but we will check on him, we have a couple of days to get ready for Tuesday.

Now above Spurs...

We have been excellent the players have been magnificent. The training on Friday was the best training since I have been here, maybe too good. The training, the intensity, the focus was good then we came out here and we weren’t sure. When there’s three points at stake at there’s 76,000 people wanting you to do well it’s different but after 15/20 minutes we could see the potential in the group and second half we were nowhere near.

Banner as you came out...

I have to say the fans have been unbelievable with me ever since I came here in 1996 but now today they made it special it’s not about me, it’s about the players.
Pretty good summary of the game by Ole. The second half was so wank it kind of makes you forget that we did play very well between minutes 20 and 45. Obviously that’s not good enough but still... Overall, it clearly wasn’t our worst performance of the season. Despite what some are claiming.

AgentP

This game reminded me of a Mourinho performance from his first 2 years. Defensively solid but midfield completely disappearing.

Cathy Ferguson

Ole must play McTom ahead of Matic on Tuesday. Matic was very poor today.

Ole has some rebuiling to do during the summer. Signing 2 top players will not be enough. I would not mind signing Doucoure, he played well today even though he is no world beater.

What's wrong with that?
I didn't see the potential.I just saw us knock the ball around alittle better for 10 minutes.Get the goal and then Watford grew into the game again and dominated from there,which continued into the second half.

So,the only potential I saw was a frustrating one.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That was rather pathetic.

What a first game as permanant manager from Ole.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 71% of 519 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 346 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw