PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 March 2019

HJ12

We shouldn’t have won that game. We won that game.

People complaining about midfield need to realize we set up purely to counter attack therefore in attack they were redundant in possession. In terms of defence pogba was a liability and Matic went back to his 18 point turns.
And that's exactly why we're complaining about the midfield today. We set up to counterattack so they were redundant offensively (although it could be argued that Pogba was crucial to our counterattacking play in previous games when he set our attackers off - he didn't do that today). Defensively they offered zero either. So much space between Matic and the defense meant he wasn't there to offer any screening protection, but he also wasn't offering anything going forward either. Energy from all 3 CM's was just gone today. They are no doubt excellent players, I just wish we could get a level of consistency with them. Currently it seems that when one has a bad game, it's contagious and the rest follow suit.

Schmeichel=God

Team needs serious work/investment.

That back 4 cannot play for United.
I'm sorry but how can you say that considering they were the very thing that kept the clean sheet in tact until the last moments?

And again, I'm sorry, and I didn't want to, but I have looked here and there and yet cannot find another avenue to shovel the blame down than that which leads to Ole.

One cannot unconditionally blame the players alone for not getting close to their players for almost every exchange covering the whole 90 minutes. I don't think I have ever seen a match where all over the pitch, until the final third, (Watford) players had themselves so much space and time.

In my opinion then, the coaching staff were entirely unprepared for today's opponent and sent their players out to the slaughter with the setup. It ended with the likes of Matic suddenly engaging an opponent metres away from him, because it suddenly became apparent that 'who's man is that' had no answer. This happened pretty much all over the pitch. It was embarrassing that nothing changed for the entirety of the game.

It is fine to ignore an opponent's threat should you be able to impose your own more consistently. But ask yourselves what really was our consistent threat today? I would not call our counter a consistent threat. There was no out ball, no comfortable transition.

So in converse manner...they got it wrong today, yet yielded three points anyway. Run this match ten times and I firmly believe we do not come away with three points more often than not.

Football ey.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am at a loss here, just how the feck are bang average teams able to just causally stroll through our midfield like that?

If we play remotely like that against Barcelona and City they will rip us a new one. Hope Ole got something up his sleeve to correct this.
My biggest critism of our midfield is the lack of intensity and movement.
When Pogba is not on top form (and that is becoming far too normal) we are also bang average.

I am beginning to get concerned that the initial lift that Ole brought is running out of steam and we are regressing; both individually and collectively.

Ole at the wheel needs to get us out of second gear and quickly.

Maticmaker

If we had been a ship we would have said it was like being in the doldrums... still a wins a win, but after the feast we have been served in the last few months, that performance was not too appetising. Ole needs to get that wheel turning!

buckooo1978

at times to day I looked at Ole on the bench and i worried for him

that was Mourinho-esque again today from the players and he needs to affect a change in that game somehow

i would love to be a fly on the wall as Ole should be absolutely roasting the players for that non-performance

without a midfield it's hard to impossible to build attacks and watching that today it wouldn't upset me if McTominay, Fred and Pereira started the next game

Matic and Herrera were truly awful and Pogba was his dithering worst - a shadow of the player who was incredible in December and January

I'm worried this is honeymoon period over kind of stuff and the players are reverting to the norm - what we really need soon is a game where we dominate the ball, possession and create chances - we seem to be a counter attacking team and not much else

Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Luke Shaw I salute you - fantastic today

improvement needed immediately

FlapR

Midfield were absolutely shocking today. Can't blame Ole for that.

crossy1686

career ending
or City, or Chelsea.
Lot of big games coming up.
Just feels like we're not focusing on anything else other than that game though. We've already slept out way through an FA match and we've not been putting in the sort of performances you would expect from United in the PL since the PSG game.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
at times to day I looked at Ole on the bench and i worried for him

that was Mourinho-esque again today from the players and he needs to affect a change in that game somehow

i would love to be a fly on the wall as Ole should be absolutely roasting the players for that non-performance

without a midfield it's hard to impossible to build attacks and watching that today it wouldn't upset me if McTominay, Fred and Pereira started the next game

Matic and Herrera were truly awful and Pogba was his dithering worst - a shadow of the player who was incredible in December and January

I'm worried this is honeymoon period over kind of stuff and the players are reverting to the norm - what we really need soon is a game where we dominate the ball, possession and create chances - we seem to be a counter attacking team and not much else

Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Luke Shaw I salute you - fantastic today

improvement needed immediately
Well said. I agree with all of that.

buckooo1978

Midfield were absolutely shocking today. Can't blame Ole for that.
maybe you can.....

McTominay, Fred and Pereira did really well in Herrera and Matic's absence in particular

Matic has served up shit peformances v Arsenal, Wolves and today - Herrera awful v Wolves and rightfully subbed today

I think it's time to send a message to these under performing players - don't you?

sam147

Matic and Herrera were abysmal. Matic has zero mobility. I wouldnt turn my nose up Declan Rice. For one he makes tackles and keeps it simple, especially in dangerous areas. Also Herrera's passing range is very limited, Rabiot on a free or Ndombele would fit in well.
I dont think our tactics were wrong. In the beginning playing Mata on the wing was not a good choice, but he was moved central relatively early on. The tactics were fine, the execution was wrong. Final ball was shocking, decision making poor and confidence on the ball was zero. Positives were we managed to grind out a result. Hopefully performances improve.

Canagel

The acolytes live on. Sigh.
There would also be WBA last year handing the title to City and a few others. Short memories for anyone who tries to put this on a par with the Jose United. It's not that bad yet.

Canagel

maybe you can.....

McTominay, Fred and Pereira did really well in Herrera and Matic's absence in particular

Matic has served up shit peformances v Arsenal, Wolves and today - Herrera awful v Wolves and rightfully subbed today

I think it's time to send a message to these under performing players - don't you?
They should never have been restored back to the line up straight after the injury. It ruined our momentum in the midfield ever since.

Eddy_JukeZ

That was horrific.

It is very concerning how our performances have declined lately.

Paul_Scholes18

They should never have been restored back to the line up straight after the injury. It ruined our momentum in the midfield ever since.
Yeah I think Fred did really well against Arsenal and deserved to play more. Mctominay was excellent against PSG too.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I just hope our midfielders realise how shocking they were.

buckooo1978

agree - Matic has been largely poor for a year or so

surprised by how poor Ander has been though - the bite has gone from his tackles, doesn't seem to have the same energy, passing off

I'd like to see a change or two in there for the next game

Robbie Boy

There would also be WBA last year handing the title to City and a few others. Short memories for anyone who tries to put this on a par with the Jose United. It's not that bad yet.
Nowhere near. Aye, we’ve looked wank since the PSG game but let’s not forget Ole only came in, in December. It’s clear the squad has deficiencies and it’ll take the summer transfer window to hopefully improve us and a good pre-season to get players fitness to an optimum level. It’s abundantly clear that our players are still suffering from fitness issues due to Joes’s non-pressing, lethargic football.

buckooo1978

Yeah I think Fred did really well against Arsenal and deserved to play more. Mctominay was excellent against PSG too.
McTominay wasn't in the squad today I think - is he injured?

if not I'd play either him and Fred against Wolves

buckooo1978

Nowhere near. Aye, we’ve looked wank since the PSG game but let’s not forget Ole only came in, in December. It’s clear the squad has deficiencies and it’ll take the summer transfer window to hopefully improve us and a good pre-season to get players fitness to an optimum level. It’s abundantly clear that our players are still suffering from fitness issues due to Joes’s non-pressing, lethargic football.
agree with the point about the change in play, it will have an undoubted effect - this is the team after a 2 week break too though - we'd a lot of international withdrawals didn't we

another reason to maybe fire one of the more energetic kids in there

lex talionis

We got the win and, despite our overall poor play, were the deserving winner. Watford got one clean look on goal but otherwise never seriously bothered De Gea.

Smalling and Jones were quite decent and Shaw was clearly MOTM. Midfield play was weak and there are no good excuses to defend it, but we know Pogba and Herrera can deliver much better than this. Matic, perhaps not.

Mata put in a shift, but my god every he walks onto the pitch he looks two inches shorter and a step slower. He's a solid squad man but we really do need to upgrade the RW position this summer.

Stubble

No midfield but no surprise really if the media is to be believed. Herrera probably off to PSG and Pogba and fat slug agent courting another club again no wonder no focus from them and Matic needs replacing asap legs have gone. Time to give Fred and McTominay a chance (i.e. the future) and bring in at least one new MF in the next window.

Park's Petrified Pooch

Matic, Mata, Young and controversially Herrera are players I hope to see moved on. At some point they may have been good enough, and they still have some qualities. But on the evidence of the last couple of seasons, they don’t get near a championship winning team’s first eleven. Slow, unathletic, ponderous on the ball and take too many touches in all situations. A lot of heart and hard work for the team. But it’s not enough sadly. Outside of this, a good result, but a lethargic performance.

haram

I am not going to reply to the quotes individually. I really cannot remember a team like Watford coming to OT and having 20 shots.

Trizy

At least we won but jeeeez. In the same way a loss to Arsenal didn't tell the story and we actually played well, today was similar but in reverse, got the win but that was fecking atrocious. We won't be able to have a proper discussion about Ole on here as we're winning a good amount and he's a legend etc but there's a lot of similarities to Mourinho's team when we finished 2nd, getting wins most weeks but looking utter shit doing it and very, very negative. His set up is getting a bit concerning now, understandable v Liverpool when we have loads of injuries but at home to Watford? Nah.
Agreed and it's almost blasphemous to say a bad word against him on here but we haven't looked good in the majority of the games we've played. We got lucky as shit in most them.

We're way too average across the park whether that's the manager or players I dunno.

Chris Hill

We are lacking a midfield enforcer. Matic moves around like an oak tree and Herrera offers very little.

Lentwood

Can we buy Doucoure? He can do Herrera and Matic's jobs better than the two combined and then we actually have an extra player to put somewhere.
You’ll get shot down for saying that because he’s not fashionable but I rate Doucoure

We won’t sign him though, we’ll sign someone more marketable from La Liga or Portugal

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You’ll get shot down for saying that because he’s not fashionable but I rate Doucoure

We won’t sign him though, we’ll sign someone more marketable from La Liga or Portugal
Yep. I was suggesting Docoure last season as he had a breakout season for Watford. Knows the league, good all around game, a threat going forward. But everyone wanted the next big name.

Frank Grimes

Same problems keep repeating, got lambasted on here on a different thread for questioning our inability to pass the ball.
Watford are a good side and have some very good players but that does not mean we shouldn't be able to get them chasing us, the complete opposite happened.

The Irish Connection

we played well for the last 20 minutes of the first half and about 10 minutes towards the end of the second. very worrying to be honest.
we should have waited til the end or near the end of the season to see where we finished. looked like Mourinho's team today, luckily got the win, you'd have to worry with these players, they have a motivation problem, and seem to down tools with the weather changing.
the first few games under ole was night and day between Mourinho's stuff, now it's night and day between the last 5 games and the first 5 under ole.
I hope we can get top 4 after coming back so far but Barcelona will be damage limitation I fear.
in positive news, Luke shaw is continuing to impress this season, rashford looks better as a 9 and we should try sign doucoure !
cheers

haram

It was just the first game that popped in my mind in which we were thoroughly outplayed by a lesser team.
At least that team had winners and leaders in it. It's not surprising with our current players.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ole saying he may play Pogba deeper to get more of the ball is interesting.

Hopefully it's a temporary thing until we sign other midfielders capable of dictating from deeper. Hopefully it's not that Pogba is the answer there, just a stop gap.

haram

Ole saying he may play Pogba deeper to get more of the ball is interesting.

Hopefully it's a temporary thing until we sign other midfielders capable of dictating from deeper. Hopefully it's not that Pogba is the answer there, just a stop gap.
Anyone with a pair of eyes knows our build up and transitions are fecking shit.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's a good sign when you can play poorly and still win. With that being said, that was an ugly performance. I'm not sure I like this 4-4-2 diamond that we are playing. A big part of it is that I feel that Martial and Rashford are playing too far away from each other. Almost seems like they are both wingers. When we are defending they are both out wide. I'd prefer to see one out wide and the other central and as the ball shifts, they shift. I would also like to see more pressing and when we do get the ball, quick passing. Our midfield is holding the ball way too long...

pacifictheme

Based on the motd highlights watford just took long range shots. The carved out one really good chabce and scored it. Yeah we didn't play well but feck me the match day thread. Baffling.

Melville Red

Funny since the PSG game we have been rubbish, Pogba didn’t play in that game and we were fantastic, Pogba has played in every game since and we have been awful.

Make your own minds up but Pogba has to go and any money received can be spent on someone who won’t only play when it suits him.
Mat well past it, Matic has looked slow recently, yep we need a new midfield, how much will that cost?
£300 million.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 71% of 519 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 346 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win