PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 March 2019

Litch

Nothing we did know, after the bounce of the end of Jose and the positivity of Ole, this combination created something that hid the same failings that never went away. We have a number of players that simply aren't good enough. We need a minimum of four WC signings that go straight into that starting 11.

Morpheus 7

Three points is what matters at this end of the season. United's home form this year has been poor. We really need to step it up against Wolves never mind Barca. Everyone in midfield looked off, too many coming back from injury.

Amir

Nothing we did know, after the bounce of the end of Jose and the positivity of Ole, this combination created something that hid the same failings that never went away. We have a number of players that simply aren't good enough. We need a minimum of four WC signings that go straight into that starting 11.
These players may not be good enough to win the title and the Champions League. They should be able to look better against Watford.

Djemba-Djemba

I think LvG had a point in his interview. I really cannot say that we play any kind of exciting football since Oles arrival.
A bit better than before and with line-up decisions that make more sense and a more positive attitude but the major overall problems are still there.
I really hope Ole is the right person to change this mid term.
He's not had chance to bring in any of his own players yet though, he's still working with a wildly unbalanced squad filled with a lot of mediocrity.

A proper pre season, a chance to reshape the squad as he likes it and we should be much better. Until the end of the season we're just going to have to accept these kinds of performances.

Djemba-Djemba

These players may not be good enough to win the title and the Champions League. They should be able to look better against Watford.
They should but one of the side effects of having a squad and a team full of average talents is a lack of consistency.

It's what seperates the really good sides from the rest. Until we improve the team on and off the field we're always going to struggle because we'll have too many days like today where we look shit.

Litch

How long have we been saying this now but that said, these teams like Watford or Wolves are not what they say on the tin. Both have a number of players that you could argue wouldn't look out of place in a Utd shirt. Not something you'd have said a few years ago...

sugar_kane

Didn’t see the full game, by all accounts it didn’t sound like we were great.

However based on the highlights we clearly had moments of nice, zippy attacking football which were fairly infrequent under Mourinho.

Two players I hope we see very little of next year are Matic and Young.

Both of the are very suspect in defence and don’t offer anywhere near enough going forward.

Just to add also to the general consensus that Shaw looked awesome, a shout for player of the season for me.

Litch

They should but one of the side effects of having a squad and a team full of average talents is a lack of consistency.

It's what seperates the really good sides from the rest. Until we improve the team on and off the field we're always going to struggle because we'll have too many days like today where we look shit.
Agree. You can tell how average some of our players are, most of them are at home rather than on international duty and that's not cause they are injured. Not saying it's the barometer but its an indicator when compared to previous teams...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
At this point in the season I'm really not too fussed about the performances. Points are all that matters.

I can imagine the players being absolutely knackered. Hopefully we'll see more of Fred and mctominay in the coming weeks and they'll be able to provide a fresh impetus.
But why should our players be absolutely knackered when Watford ran rings round our midfield.
To my mind that is just an excuse. These are young fit professionals with all the best fitness advice and support.

Melville Red

He's not had chance to bring in any of his own players yet though, he's still working with a wildly unbalanced squad filled with a lot of mediocrity.

A proper pre season, a chance to reshape the squad as he likes it and we should be much better. Until the end of the season we're just going to have to accept these kinds of performances.
Exactly. “You can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear”.

I’m just as hopeful as to who will be leaving as who will be joining, there is a hell of a lot of under performing players and dead wood in this squad. If we have a decent clear out we could afford some decent signing and the wages that go with it, that’s the problem though, with the likes of Young and Jones been given new contracts.
I honestly think when it comes to the footballing side of things Woody hasn’t a bloody clue, well we already know that don’t we.

Yesterday I really felt like we needed a player that looked to settle the game a lot more. Sometimes I wish we would dominate the possession a lot more. We we're too stressed in our general play and never really seized control at all. I'm gonna be a bit sad if counter attacking is all we are. Even at home against Watford..

Sterling Archer

However based on the highlights we clearly had moments of nice, zippy attacking football which were fairly infrequent under Mourinho.

Both of the are very suspect in defence and don’t offer anywhere near enough going forward.

Just to add also to the general consensus that Shaw looked awesome, a shout for player of the season for me.
Highlights are very deceiving. Outside of fifteen minutes in the first half, we were absolutely atrocious. We had some standout performances from Jones and Shaw. Most of the team was awful. They looked genuinely unconcerned and out of it. The kind of passes going astray were unacceptable. Midfield was pretty much useless.

Having seen how this team plays when focused, it's shocking to see them back at Jose levels of attitude

RedorDead21

Our midfield needs ripping up really. On paper it’s a top 3 midfield comfortably but I’ve never seen 3 players lack so much control of play so often! Forget Watford this goes on every few games. At least 2 of the 3 need upgrades if we want to be champions anytime soon. We need that midfielder who can lift his team mates as none of ours plays well when all around him are playing poorly.

Kostov

For a supposedly top midfield we are overrun in the middle so often and outplayed when the opposition come over and are willing to battle. It happened vs Southampton, Wolves and now Watford.

And those two stupid free kicks Lingard gave away at the end I sincerely felt are going to cost us. What the feck was he thinking, especially that first one, after he pussied away from a challenge.

Revaulx

But why should our players be absolutely knackered when Watford ran rings round our midfield.
To my mind that is just an excuse. These are young fit professionals with all the best fitness advice and support.
Why indeed?

Either we have exceptional bad luck and our signings all happen to have a previously undiagnosed lazy sod gene. Or the fitness advice and support provided by the club isn’t very good.

I honestly have no idea, but it seems to be a deep set problem.

Steerpike

We have our defenders to thank for that win. It may have been a good thing that our CB pairing was Jones and Smalling - Deeney is a very physical and awkward opponent, and perhaps Lindelof would have struggled against him. For me, Jones was our man of the match, though Shaw and Smalling ran him close.

The main worry was how our midfield was outplayed, despite theoretically having an extra man in there. In the first 15 minutes, Matic looked like he was going to nail the worst performance ever, but thankfully he did improve slightly after that. Herrera was busy as usual, but below par otherwise. Pogba once again demonstrated an infuriating mixture of good and bad, but not enough of the former and too much of the latter.

Up front, Mata looked inventive, but too often misplaced the final pass. Martial drifted in an out of the game, and showed an unwillingness to pull the trigger on a couple of occasions when well placed. Rashford had a decent game, and looked our only real threat.

We have had a run of games now where we haven't played well, and we will need to be a lot better than that to get anything from Molyneux on Tuesday.

Dante

Average bang
Just rewatching the match now.

The problem was that Matic and Herrera were too deep for too much of the game.

It meant no out ball for the defence and no effective link to the attack.

Pereira is quite easily dispossessed under pressure, so he fared no better.

We desperately need 1 or 2 midfielders in the Summer. It's a more pressing issue than RB, RW or CB (pun intended).

Last edited:

Tony247

Our midfield is more or less non existent. A team playing likes of mata cannot challenge for cups and titles.

Need wingers and midfielders who can take the game to the opposition half. Otherwise same story next year.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Team needs serious work/investment.

That back 4 cannot play for United.

Happy to get the points.
Surprised by this reaction, I thought Jones and Shaw were the best players on the pitch for this game, the defence basically won it for you, it was your midfield that created the problems.

haram

No build up and poor passes in the defensive third. This team is not good enough.

We cannot engage in high intensity pressing for a whole season because we do not keep the ball enough. We cannot combat pressing teams because we have shite build up.

SAFMUTD

Our midfield was poor, Herrera and Matic have not been up to it since their injuries.

Ole needs to make a decision if they are not fit then Fred and McTominnay should play. Seriously can’t imagine McTominnay doing worst than Matic.

manichester

We are so careless with our passing, every player is guilty to some degree. Previous posters also pointed out that Matic and Hererra were too deep, opponents know our left side is our strength and double up there but we don't or can't switch the ball to the right often enough to stretch our opponents. Maybe does not help that there is alack of quality on the right.

Canagel

We are so careless with our passing, every player is guilty to some degree. Previous posters also pointed out that Matic and Hererra were too deep, opponents know our left side is our strength and double up there but we don't or can't switch the ball to the right often enough to stretch our opponents. Maybe does not help that there is alack of quality on the right.
Yes. Everything remotely creative comes from the left. Mata, herrera, young- all of them drift inside because they can't create anything.

laughtersassassin

Surprised by this reaction, I thought Jones and Shaw were the best players on the pitch for this game, the defence basically won it for you, it was your midfield that created the problems.
Not an observation from this game. Just genserall. Also I feel like we play more defensive with them as we now they need protection from counter's.

TRUERED89

Mata and Matic together in the midfield are waaaay toooo slow.
Matic should retire, McTominay simply cannot do any worse, play him CDM rest of the season. Matic may have the experience behind him but he's so immobile that it counts for nothing at the moment.

Eddy_JukeZ

No build up and poor passes in the defensive third. This team is not good enough.

We cannot engage in high intensity pressing for a whole season because we do not keep the ball enough. We cannot combat pressing teams because we have shite build up.
The team should be good enough to keep the ball vs fecking Watford.

We don't need world class players all over the field to keep the ball vs Watford.

BarstoolProphet

Dreadful match from us. Can't remember the last time we had so many easy misplaced passes. Matic the worst of the lot in that regard. Ole made us look Mourinho-ish again but to his credit, he saw it early and tried to adjust it by making a tactical change up front. Our centrebacks bar Lindelöf must be among the worst in transitioning the ball from defense to attack.

Was a weird match to watch. Found myself laughing at one point where it felt like both teams had their midfield going AWOL. Every attack from both teams felt like counterattacks.

On a positive note, Shaw was great once again. Really looks the part now, doesn't he?

haram

The team should be good enough to keep the ball vs fecking Watford.

We don't need world class players all over the field to keep the ball vs Watford.
Over a course of a season we are bound to get exposed regardless.

Trizy

Ya we had a hand full of attacks with nice quick 1 touch passing and movement in the forward line. Defence was also very good but the game completely passed our midfield 3 by. They were hopeless and not involved in defence or attack.

TRUERED89

Indeed :lol:

Plenty of games with Lingard in the side where we looked terrible too.
Not many imo! Wolves and Watford he's not been fresh, had a long injury lay off with his hamstring. He's been more good than bad under Ole.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 71% of 519 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 346 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw