FA W FA Cup Quarter-Final Replay

West Ham United 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 13 April 2016

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
one question, how many full back subs has Van Gaal made, and is it a league record?!

How many games does Rojo get subbed in, it's getting ridiculous now.

edcunited1878

See what I mean?
It's so old and beat down the abuse LVG gets. He's by no means covered himself in glory, but it's not has if he didn't fulfill his main objective in year 1. Has brought in good players, who are underperforming and that's on LVG too, and has given opportunity and grown young players.

United could beat Everton and win the FA Cup. Yet, he still wouldn't be accepted or given credit. Pathetic.

Walters_19_MuFc

I was pretty confident when I saw the line up, and it looks like I was right to be. Having said that, there's plenty of times I've been happy with the team, however most of the time they've failed to turn up. Today they did, and I thought we were really good, although the last 10 mins was hard to watch.

We had a bit of everything to our game. Movement off the ball, physicality, goals, creativity, high tempo - the lot. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't perfect, but I can only compare it to what we've seen this season.

SalfordRed1960

He's forced to play them because we have literally no other options
That's just playing the let's bash LVG agenda. He has loads of options, he chooses not to play more experienced players.

He could have played at least 3 more senior players (Valencia, Darmian, McNair) than Tim. He could play a number of player other than Lingard (Young, Valencia, even Depay or Mata). He could have used Fellani, Rooney or even Martial up top, rather than MR. He chose not to.

He has probably given MR a load of confidence for trusting him after the so called fall out from Spurs. At Spurs MR did not do what he was told, today, his performance was very good.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
There you are then. Someone needs to tell the t**t on R5 Live that.
Nah forget it. Leave him to his misery:lol:

Seriously, I still think LVG is way too inconsistent and still think he should leave, but tonight we're in the semis of the FA Cup - we haven't done that for years - so anybody still unhappy even in this moment is just mental

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I was pretty confident when I saw the line up, and it looks like I was right to be. Having said that, there's plenty of times I've been happy with the team, however most of the time they've failed to turn up. Today they did, and I thought we were really good, although the last 10 mins was hard to watch.

We had a bit of everything to our game. Movement off the ball, physicality, goals, creativity, high tempo - the lot. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't perfect, but I can only compare it to what we've seen this season.
Also it a good win in a game that really did matter, away from home, hostile crowd,with a ref who at times favoured the home side. Well done lads.

arthurka

Good
Second half
Rashford
Fellaini
Lingard
TFM
Ddg as usual
Wembley baby

Bad
Rojo
LVG
Subs

Red-Jeff

Am I the only one that thought Lingard was poor? Seeing quite a few praise him. I seem to remember at least one chance he should have put away, quite a few heavy first touches that gave the ball away, and multiple stupid fouls that could have cost us.

kundalini

Not a Fellaini fan at all but he had a good game. Rashford looked class even before his goal. TFM is the complete opposite to most of our team; powerful and direct. Thought we could have done more on the counter-attack. De Gea superb as usual. Surprised it took them so long to get Carroll in the game.

montpelier

Better anyway, much better than I was expecting.

Excellent goal, DDG superb yet again.

Muddled through in the last 20mins, maybe.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's so old and beat down the abuse LVG gets. He's by no means covered himself in glory, but it's not has if he didn't fulfill his main objective in year 1. Has brought in good players, who are underperforming and that's on LVG too, and has given opportunity and grown young players.

United could beat Everton and win the FA Cup. Yet, he still wouldn't be accepted or given credit. Pathetic.
Not to bring negativity to this positive occasion and now is not the time to criticize LVG but the abuse he gets is not "old" because deserves it. LVG has been a bigger disaster than Moyes.

buckooo1978

enjoyed the game and felt we played and passed well....nice to see a more balanced side with Lingard playing a lot better for example

lets hope Van Gaal doesn't have another brainfart and play players out of position again

Classical Mechanic

enjoyed the game and felt we played and passed well....nice to see a more balanced side with Lingard playing a lot better for example

lets hope Van Gaal doesn't have another brainfart and play players out of position again
Lingard is fine when he has time and space. When we play compact teams that press him it is another matter altogether.

bugmat

Well done, we beat West Ham. ...

Rashford seems the real deal btw! Also we are so fragile..we nearly put it into extra-time with the keystone cops routine after they scored! A semifinal at Wembley! :D

edcunited1878

Not to bring negativity to this positive occasion and now is not the time to criticize LVG but the abuse he gets is not "old" because deserves it. LVG has been a bigger disaster than Moyes.
Bigger disaster than Moyes? Really...let's just agree to disagree.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Nah he is toast regardless. I dont agree with things he has done but the abuse he gets is unreal.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I told you guys. LvG has a knack for winning these type of games.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
It's not the team, it's the opposition. West Ham for lack of a better phrase did not park the bus. They also played a high line. So Martial, Lingard, Herrera were afforded to make runs into space. Carrick was hardly ever closed down either. A lot of the initiation comes from him or Blind. Fellaini actually dribbled forward. Bilic had his tactics all wrong, but I won't take anything away from our performance. But we usually do tend to play well against teams that give us a little room to breathe.
Ya agree and what you have said is central theme with our performances but still irrespective of how opposition play, if we setup to be more direct and show more intent and fight than we do in games where opposition park the bus, we can do better than we do or get better results overall.

buckooo1978

Lingard is fine when he has time and space. When we play compact teams that press him it is another matter altogether.
think his strength is his running out wide - stretches teams and covers back well while still lacking quality

useless in that number 10 position

edcunited1878

Nah he is toast regardless. I dont agree with things he has done but the abuse he gets is unreal.
Yeah, United can't risk leaving Mourinho out to dry after this season. There's a ready made manager as LVG goes into a lame duck year. Just how things worked out.

Owngoalscorer

Imagine this team with six months more experience and a fully fit Luke Shaw replacing Rojo and Schneiderlin fulfilling his promise in Carrick's place :drool:

ZAGREB RED

Superb result and performance, particularly after all the pessimism. Rashford and TFM look like genuine stars. Bit surprised that West Ham didn't get going till late on, they never really gave Carroll any service until it was too late, but United deserve huge credit for winning a difficult game in style. Great strike from Rashford.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 398 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% West Ham 2:0 Man Utd
  • 14% West Ham 2:1 Man Utd