FA W FA Cup Quarter-Final Replay

West Ham United 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 13 April 2016

Red-Jeff

Imagine this team with six months more experience and a fully fit Luke Shaw replacing Rojo and Schneiderlin fulfilling his promise in Carrick's place :drool:
Was thinking about that myself, TFM on one side and Shaw on the other with Smalling/Blind in the middle and De Gea behind them. A trio of Rashford, Martial, and Memphis/Lingard (depending on form) up front. Tantalizing :drool:

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
I don't want to live in a World where DDG doesn't play for us.

It doesn't bare thinking about:(

Norris

Ya agree and what you have said is central theme with our performances but still irrespective of how opposition play, if we setup to be more direct and show more intent and fight than we do in games where opposition park the bus, we can do better than we do or get better results overall.
I don't think we showed much intent here either. After the hammers scored, we again struggled to keep possession. We just lack some real leaders/personalities in the team. The team is good, but we just need to find a way against more stubborn defenses. Also, those bullshit substitutions have to be cut out.

Trizy

Win the cup, install some confidence and winning mentally to the squad, bring in Jose = winnning ways.

RedIke

Got to give that big afro some credit when it's due. I thought he played very well.

Happy as can be for the win. LVG with his 9 lives routine.

Absolutely hate the fact this team shows what it can do from time to time and just can't out consistent performances together.

RedorDead21

Got to give that big afro some credit when it's due. I thought he played very well.

Happy as can be for the win. LVG with his 9 lives routine.

Absolutely hate the fact this team shows what it can do from time to time and just can't out consistent performances together.
Kids are inconsistent....

Born2Lose

I'd much rather watch this team play and develop, than see Mata and Rooney in the team.

Average rating by the CAF of 6.6 for an away win at West Ham? Harsh.

stu_1992

We played quite well up until their goal, then those last 15 minutes were quite painful. Glad we got through that okay, and delighted to be in the semis. I thought we had thrown it away after the first tie.

Once again the youngsters show up and in a starring role too. Unbelievable finish by Rashford. Thought Fosu-Mensah was immense all game too.

Charlie Foley

Great win. Buzzing after that. Stunning first goal and the second one looked scrappy but Lingard did very well and we kept the move alive. Delighted for Fellaini to get a goal.

I thought Carrick looked good in midfield and 3/4 of our defence were good. DDG amazing as ever. The end was a bit ropey but that's the cup and West Ham are a good side. They played poorly for 70 minutes but I think we made them play poorly.

Those in the match thread hoping we'd lose don't deserve to go to Wembley in my books. Hope none of you get tickets.

One of the most entertaining matches this season, almost throwing it away contributed to that though :lol:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Great to win there anytime but especially in the last ever FA Cup tie there.I thought for 70 minutes or so it was our best performance of the season and 3-0 wouldn't have flattered us.
Of course being United we have to do it the hard way and when we conceded it gave them hope and we were hanging on when we should have been comfortable.
TFM is some talent, so too Rashford, Lingard did very well and Smalling , Blind, Fellaini, Carrick all had good games but the legend DeGea was my motm.
Onwards and upwards!

Mal donaghy

Amazed by rashford, I watch the u21's and u18's quite a bit on MUTV and to be honest never really noticed him or had him pegged to be anything special ! It's quite astonishing how being in the limelight seems so natural to him.

caid

Tbh i think carrick, herrera, fellaini might be our best midfield (still).
Its functional and has a good balance that we just haven't gotten from other line ups.

Dont want to jinx us horribly but i'd fancy our chances against Palace and Everton.
Think Watford might be best equipped to mess us up, so hopefully they go out.

redshaw

What a feckin goal I screamed when Rashford hit that. Said it before but if Jose is coming he has to play this lad.

Got to give credit to Fellaini, had an effective game. I have great respect for him and his character after getting a lot stick, very professional in that regard. Could easily go sulking. Still I don't seem him being a regular in a top United team and perhaps he should be playing each week elsewhere. Well done tonight though, perhaps he feels LVG hasn't helped his game this season.

ColvaleGoa

Fosu Mensah is like the new- Thou shall not pass! Absolute Monster of a player.

Carrick had freedom of Upton Park, so had a good game. But he can't do this consistently over the whole season. But still it was good to see Carrick having a good game, brought back some good memories.

Oh God,,,please De Gea don't leave at the end of the season!

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
What a feckin goal I screamed when Rashford hit that. Said it before but if Jose is coming he has to play this lad.

Got to give credit to Fellaini, had an effective game. I have great respect for him and his character after getting a lot stick, very professional in that regard. Could easily go sulking. Still I don't seem him being a regular in a top United team and perhaps he should be playing each week elsewhere. Well done tonight though, perhaps he feels LVG hasn't helped his game this season.
The system we've been playing has not done him any favours as well.

Hed Zitin

Didn't watch it live, but just got finished watching the full match.

Rashford, Martial, Fellaini and TFM were excellent. De Gea is godly. Lingard improved.

Great to see the young players playing together like that. Our academy coaches have done a grand job and saved LvG's arse.

Much better attacking play. We missed some great chances, but at least we created them for a change.

I can't be arsed pointing out the negatives. It's ground hog day repeating things we've done badly again and again this season anyway.

ghagua

The players are looking to punish us next season as well by saving LvG's job.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I don't think we showed much intent here either. After the hammers scored, we again struggled to keep possession. We just lack some real leaders/personalities in the team. The team is good, but we just need to find a way against more stubborn defenses. Also, those bullshit substitutions have to be cut out.
Till the 2 goals and for a while after that, there was. Later on when it was all about holding on, we struggled. Closing out games comfortably is not something we are good at yet with this squad.

Norris

Till the 2 goals and for a while after that, there was. Later on when it was all about holding on, we struggled. Closing out games comfortably is not something we are good at yet with this squad.
Maybe, but watch us struggle against Villa now. :(

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Our best formation, no Mata, a bit of pace and industry - who knew simple things can bring in great results.

I hope I bump into Van Gaal sometime in the future, to ask him, why did he not try to build on the 433 that worked well at times last season and decided to change to this 4231 that he doesn't believe he has a no.10 for.
Why he said he needs pace on the wings and then went on to sell Nani, and plays Mata there?
Why would he keep Rooney as the club's first choice striker when he regularly mentions that he needs his striker to get behind opposition defenses?

Good win last night. We panicked and almost let West Ham into the game in the last 15-20 minutes, but the 70-75 minutes before that was a decent viewing.

Van Gaal lives to fight another day..Amazing!

Last edited:

prath92

Not to bring negativity to this positive occasion and now is not the time to criticize LVG but the abuse he gets is not "old" because deserves it. LVG has been a bigger disaster than Moyes.
Not for me. As bad as he has been, Moyes had been worse. We were comprehensively outplayed by most in the top 10. We scored 1 goal in 6 games against Liverpool, Everton and man city while conceding 14. We aren't that bad in this season.

RedDevil@84

Our best formation, no Mata, a bit of pace and industry - who knew simple things can bring in great results.

I hope I bump into Van Gaal sometime in the future, to ask him, why did he not try to build on the 433 that worked well at times last season and decided to change to this 4231 that he doesn't believe he has a no.10 for.
Why he said he needs pace on the wings and then went on to sell Nani, and plays Mata there?
Why would he keep Rooney as the club's first choice striker when he regularly mentions that he needs his striker to get behind opposition defenses?

Good win last night. We panicked and almost let West Ham into the game in the last 15-20 minutes, but the 70-75 minutes before that was a decent viewing.

Van Gaal lives to fight another day..Amazing!
Van Gaal will probably say I am not answerable to you. I answer to Woodward or the owners. He'll probably call you fat as well :D:D

Norris

Not for me. As bad as he has been, Moyes had been worse. We were comprehensively outplayed by most in the top 10. We scored 1 goal in 6 games against Liverpool, Everton and man city while conceding 14. We aren't that bad in this season.
But Moyes had a better record against teams in the bottom half than LvG. Both are pretty woeful tbh, but the fact that LvG has had a year more than Moyes, spent almost three times as much as him and still at the same level as Moyes's United cannot be forgotten.

Roosney

If we can win the FA cup and finish fourth, do we officially become Arsenal :nervous::nervous::nervous:
So what if we have, let's just get that top 4 spot and we allright. I'm hoping City get distracted by their UCL campaign and start giving zero fecks about the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Great stuff. Would be brilliant for the club to win it's first meaningful silverware post-SAF. Everton won't be easy but we have beaten them twice this season.

We played well too, save for the last 15 minutes where they hammered us. It's something I pretty much expected to happen because A) West Ham are a good team and B) we seem to have spells of the game where we simply can't keep the ball which has to be worked on.

Btw, that save from De Gea at the near post was special.

Acole9

Outstanding
Great win last night, I think we've got a good chance of reaching the final now.

Perrick Dubois

Sounded like a cracking win. We listened on the radio and were all crowded around chewing our nails when the WHU goal went in. Sounds like all the lads had very good games and that 4-3-3 surprise surprise actually brought the best out of the plethora of B2B midfielders we have.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm beginning to realise that going to the Midtjyyland game and seeing Rashford on his debut, scoring his first goals is becoming an 'I was there' moment.

The boy is class, what a finish. Screamed the house down when that one went in.

Charlie Foley

Sounded like a cracking win. We listened on the radio and were all crowded around chewing our nails when the WHU goal went in. Sounds like all the lads had very good games and that 4-3-3 surprise surprise actually brought the best out of the plethora of B2B midfielders we have.
This is fantastic, such a throwback :lol:

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
I'm getting a bit tired of this De Gea saved Van Gaal narrative. It's a very good goalkeeper with a spectacular style, but at the Carroll assist he was in no mans land, and with the near post save he left that gap open himself. That's fine if he can trust his refllexes to that extend, but that's a matter of his particular style of keeping and not brilliant per se. I thought De Gea had a good game all added up, but Randolph had a slightly better game.

I thought that there were a lot of players who made a lot of mistakes, but still had a good game.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 398 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% West Ham 2:0 Man Utd
  • 14% West Ham 2:1 Man Utd