g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

West Ham United 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 02 January 2017

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Kinda glad that Ibra was gifted a goal even though he was offsides, to make up for the great goal that was stolen from him in the previous match.

Love seeing Rashford with confidence taking on defenders.

6 wins in a row, unbeaten in what, 11? We're doing everything in our power to get back into this top 4 race. Things are looking up these days!

It's 13 unbeaten in all comps (we beat Swansea prior to drawing with Arsenal).

Haven't seen that list without a grey 'L' on it before :drool:

Raw

It's 13 unbeaten in all comps (we beat Swansea prior to drawing with Arsenal).

Haven't seen that list without a grey 'L' on it before :drool:
Is it wrong that I'm actually really annoyed it could have very easily been 13 wins in a row if we held on just a few minutes longer against Everton + Arsenal and learned how to finish against West Ham? Fine margins!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Is it wrong that I'm actually really annoyed it could have very easily been 13 wins in a row if we held on just a few minutes longer against Everton + Arsenal and learned how to finish against West Ham? Fine margins!
Yes, because football rarely works that way. We could have also lost at Palace and WBA had decisions gone the other way.

It is what it is

Raw

Yes, because football rarely works that way. We could have also lost at Palace and WBA had decisions gone the other way.

It is what it is
Yeah I'm well aware of that, we were fortunate v West Ham away too. It still bothers me greatly though.

unitedforeveral

Numerous decisions have gone against us. Jose was right "We are the Champions of wrong decisions" and to me it will never even out. We have had some of the worst times with the referees during our 6 draws. Referees like Lee Mason are unfit for the role, he was ridiculous in our match against Boro if i am right. If the referees were perfect we could've won more games and probably lost just 2 goals. So if you think we benefited from the referee decisions, well! i think you need go dive into a @#$% !!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We did loom like a LVG team thou, maybe it was the tired legs, but lot of backward passes.
Perhaps this was because we went a man up, WHU then went ultra defensive and our players had no idea how to penetrate.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think the performance was lacking, especially in the first half, but definitely not as bad as a lot will say. A lot of the slow play was probably down to a bit of fatigue and maybe Jose has now learned that he may have to freshen up a little bit more in select mid-week games (especially when we are back in Europe and playing the upcoming domestic cup matches). We were lucky in spells and West Ham did quite well even with 10 men, they are the definition of game raisers IMO and the sending off probably spurred them on a bit initially if anything. However, tired legs was always going to be the factor and that is most likely what enabled us to edge them out eventually.

Mike Dean (and his officials) will be the talking point and rightly so. I'm getting a bit fed up of it this season, it seems as though the officials are the talking point more-so than ever before (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and there needs to be some kind of hearing involving all of them. However, the Feghouli challenge is a bit less controversial than most people will care to admit. He left his feet and it can be seen as somewhat out of control, which some would think is enough to be worthy of a red (and is even in the rules). For what's it worth though, I think it was a Yellow Card offence as well and if West Ham win the appeal then there will be no complaints.

Zlatan's goal is clearly offside, but he had one stupidly disallowed against Boro' so that's swings and roundabouts. Glad to see Jose make some very effective changes. What's done is done, happy to get away with the three points and move onto the next games. If we can beat Liverpool we have every chance of finishing anywhere from 2nd to 6th really.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah I'm well aware of that, we were fortunate v West Ham away too. It still bothers me greatly though.
That is not to say we wouldn't have beaten them regardless the sending off though.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Yeah I've been thinking that too. Those three draws could easily have been wins and we'd be right up there in contention.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
All this hooha about the red card. It meant that West Ham went ultra defensive, as you would expect, which made it very difficult for us to break through their defenses. I reckon we'd have beaten them by more than 2-0 if they had kept 11 men on the pitch, we absolutely battered them in the 2nd half.

The Wanderer

Numerous decisions have gone against us. Jose was right "We are the Champions of wrong decisions" and to me it will never even out. We have had some of the worst times with the referees during our 6 draws. Referees like Lee Mason are unfit for the role, he was ridiculous in our match against Boro if i am right. If the referees were perfect we could've won more games and probably lost just 2 goals. So if you think we benefited from the referee decisions, well! i think you need go dive into a @#$% !!
People forget the decisions we get away with, Herrera could of had 3 red cards, Fellani numerous and got away with some clear penalties.

Its swings and roundabouts !

The Wanderer

The reason we couldn't hang on against Arsenal was because of Mourinhos mistake, which was totally missed by the pundits.
He took off our right back and did not replace him, Wenger spotted this and sent Oxlade Chamberlain flying down that side.

Crucial error by the manager

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The reason we couldn't hang on against Arsenal was because of Mourinhos mistake, which was totally missed by the pundits.
He took off our right back and did not replace him, Wenger spotted this and sent Oxlade Chamberlain flying down that side.

Crucial error by the manager
The reason Arsenal equalised was because of a foul on Jones that was not flagged.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The reason Arsenal equalised was because of a foul on Jones that was not flagged.
Not to mention, Arsenal should've had to score two because we were robbed of a penalty in the first half.

true. But it was a blatant foul. The ABU media were not out in force then were they?
When refereeing hurts Man Utd its not an issue. One or two decisions go our way and the press has a collective meltdown. The sports pages today would have you believe Mike Riley is the devil incarnate.

devips

Those who were moaning about Rojo not being red carded for his two tackles in a couple of previous matches, are now so so upset that Feghouli was sent off for his charge on Jones.

No, not the ABUs. They are in this 'Manchester United' forum. So bizarre.

A Dean Rabona :lol:
Can't wait for 15 January 2017. Would love us to win via a controversial penalty, or a goal from Zlatan where he takes the ball down with a mix of shoulder and bicep and then whacks it in. It'd drive them mad.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think once they went to 10 men and after the festive fixtures we just wanted to play the ball around, switch sides and just generally keep them moving and wear them down.
That's LVG right there! :lol:
At half time I think Jose snapped our team out of the LVG philosophy, which saw them do more damage in 10 minutes than they did in the entire first half.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

whoever is the ref that day is going to be the biggest loser.
Knowing the Premier League we'll get Mark Clattenberg or Martin Atkinson. :rolleyes:

The Scousers should actually be happy. We've been denied some stonewall penalties this year. Refs just don't want to give them to us. Their clogger defenders could boot Mkhitaryan up in the air and we still wouldn't get a penalty.

marlowe78

In the run-up to this weekend, I suspected that we would drop points in 1 of the 2 games. Delighted that we came out with the full 6.

For the most part we struggled and a lot of the players looked exhausted. Players with high work rates like Herrera and Mkhitarian looked really off the pace and when that's mixed in with players who are normally slower (Ibra, Carrick) or in poor form (Lingard, Darmian), that will hardly lead to a brilliant display. There can be no denying that we benefited a lot from Mike Dean's crap refereeing when West Ham went down to 10 men, since it took away a lot of their initiative and forced them to do extra running to make up the numbers.

Still, West Ham put in a very good effort and came very close to scoring twice. DDG came up huge in the first half with a lunging save and in the second half made the stop on Antonio, which bailed us out of a sudden breakdown by our defence. While the game against Middlesborough renewed hope in us coming from behind, I'm not sure if we would've been able to pull it off again had either chance led to a goal, considering how knackered we already were. Of course, all of this could have been easier had Valencia or Lingard taken advantage of a ridiculously easy scoring chance that both fluffed.

The main positive (outside of Mike Dean) was watching our substitutions again having a big impact on the game, something that was very rare the past few seasons. Rashford and Mata completely energized our attack, it's amazing what fresh feet can do. I've gone hard on Mata but there is no denying his talents in producing magic. Rashford looks the real article as both a scorer and playmaker, just give him time. Ibra's goal was ludicrous in how offside he was, but considering what happened with his last 'goal' 2 days before, I really couldn't care less. I can always use a laugh, especially when it comes at West Ham's expense.

So overall, I'd give us a 6 out of 10, while Jose gets 10 out of 10 for his in-game management. Time now for the players to rest up and get ready for the cup ties.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- This was a terrible performance. What I liked about it was that I was actually surprised it was a terrible performance, due to the fact I've become to used to us not playing terribly. This time last year it would have just been a performance.

- Why was it mainly the players who DIDN'T play 48 hours before who all looked like they'd never had to run before in their lives? I mean Pogba, Valencia and later in the game Zlatan all looked like they hadn't fully shaken the hangover from whatever New Years party they'd gone to...but Jones, Darmian, Lingard annd Carrick all looked like they'd not even sobered up yet

- Herrera has been playing badly for a few weeks now but no one seems to have noticed yet. He keeps passing the ball sideways to people on the other team

- I'm mainly positive about how things are going at the moment. Very positive in fact. I'd struggle to find things to complain about...however, that was quite possibly the worst game of football ever played. People whinge about the referee but if anything he was less rubbish than nearly all of the players.

- I agree it didn't need to be a sending off, but imagine if Rojo had made that challenge and not been sent off. Can anyone say there wouldn't have been outrage and keep a straight face? He jumped into the tackle for no reason. You can't have it both ways.

- 6 wins in a row, and we've picked up more points in the last 10 games than anyone else in the league barring Chelsea. Promising, considering it hasn't been based on luck.

- Feck off West Ham

unitedforeveral

People forget the decisions we get away with, Herrera could of had 3 red cards, Fellani numerous and got away with some clear penalties.

Its swings and roundabouts !
Yeah but we've had more than our fair share of bad decisions. What do you have to say about that?

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 603 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd