PL W FA Premier League

West Ham United 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 05 December 2020

redom

Pogba flicked a switch with that goal and credit to the team for running with that momentum and ending up comfortable winners but West Ham will be wondering how the game wasn't wrapped up before then. It really was Jekyll and Hyde performance.

MonkeysMagic

Nothing gives me more pleasure then beating West H, the game raising turds, but what we saw in the first 65 min is unforgivable cos it keeps happening. Some fantastic goals but let's face it, we could may be should have been 3-0 down at HT.

Leipzig had tough game today but can't see them being as profligate if we start like we did today.

Ludens the Red

You will never ever see a single game that totally sums up a managers run at a club more than that.
You can’t question the mentality and effort of this team under Ole and the comebacks are a testament to that but feck me the shit football for basically 75% of the game.

The lack of confidence to try things, take on a man, try a difficult pass, dribble, movement, it’s just not structured into this team at all.
There are only two players in it capable of trying or doing these things week in week out, Bruno and Rashford. They’ve basically kept Ole in the job.
Rashford between September and January last year and then Bruno between January and now. The individual reliance we have on these twos ability and mentality is insane.

Meller

Outplayed until we got a freak goal. Good performance after that. Ole is lucky the squad is so talented.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Absolute shocker of a first half. Excellent final 35. Gives a lie to the idea that Fred isn't important for us or that we can manage without our main men. I'm a fan of Mctominay but he was atrocious today. Rashford magnificent.

vodrake

We gave Moyes an entire half to just do what he wanted with us, and we still won! Not sure I'm into this kind of kink though, not good for the heart...

We actually have the joint most wins in the league right now, which seems a bit mental :lol:

Tony247

One sentence: we were playing utter shite and then bruno arrived.

RedIan

Absolutely dire in the first have, looked like they had all been on the piss at the xmas do until 5am.... really lucky to go in only 1-0 down, West Ham must be kicking themselves.
Bruno and Rashy made all the difference. Bruno makes us tick and Rashfords runs were unstoppable.
Pogba was total garbage first half, once he scored he suddenly looked class.

Wtf - we need to start with some tempo in the first half of games or sooner or later we will get hammered.... but good comeback upto 4th. Happy dayS.

The United

We have got to be the most frustrating side to watch in the league.
I think the most exciting. In a sense that, you don't know which side of united team will turn in before the first and 2nd halves.

MattofManchester

I got a lot of hate in the thread for saying it, but we struggled because the midfield 2 was so isolated. Pogba and McTominay had zero out ball, so it was next to impossible to push up.

Van De Beek stays far too close to our strikers, Martial is far too static that the l West Ham didn't even bother to mark him, because it's so easy to close him down.

Once both were off, Bruno and Pogba seemed to offer constant availability for each other, and Rashford actually held the width which made us vastly more expansive.

Just wish we'd stop doing this now.

Tarrou

Shite for the first 60 minutes, good for the last 30

Our midfield really is garbage at times, there's just no consistency there at all

Okey

Phew! How to analyse that?! You could almost put your house on that come back couldn't you? Even West Ham seemed to know it. But that was a terrible team performance. We're winning games off individual moments, not as a cohesive team. It's not sustainable. I'll take what we get for now and enjoy it though. What choice do I have?

Hester_manc

From now on we can just as well give the opponent a goal from the start, so we can play more motivated. Bruno means everything for this team. He is a talisman for us. I hope, he never gets injured again.

Superunknown

Very frustrating match. It was like watching two different teams play those two halves. The first half was as bad as it has been all season, whilst the second half was remarkably better, especially with Bruno and Rashford on the pitch.

My opinion stays the same. We have a talented side, but are just far too inconsistent. The result was great and the goals were, honestly, really great goals to watch. You could watch each of those three time and time again.

I think the general consensus will be that fans are delighted with the goals and result, but are heavily concerned with the performance itself. We have a number of issues that need working on.

prateik

We really need to improve our defending against set plays.

Going forward.. sure.. we are great..

Could also do with adding some depth so players can actually be rested .

I can see why Ole sticks to his best XI and doesnt want to make too many changes. its very inconsistent outside 14-15 players.

thepolice123

We got rescued by two moments of individual class today. Greenwood’s touch and snap shot was pure class.

Neo_Mufc

We need to stop these laid back starts to matches, as if we don't need to press. The pattern of play is becoming highly predictable; sit back, mild press, concede a goal, continue until the first half, play football in 2nd half.

It's an unsustainable method of football.

What I saw in the first 60 minutes was atrocious. Sloppy passes, slow pressing, half arsed tracking. The last 30 was a complete opposite and I'm just so happy that we have the 3 points and we are 4th in the league.

I want to pretend that this is one of those games that I can just forget about but it's been happening all too often for me not to.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I really fkn love this team. Completely bonkers. Its brilliantly frustrating and entertaining at the same time.

First half. If anyone misses Van Gaal then watch that again. Loads of possession, slow as all hell, little movement, and you could almost see West Ham collectively realise how shit we are playing and then dominate the game. I may well be biased against Pogba, but I just think he is the root of most of our problems whenever he starts as a 6. I dont know. Everyone was poor in the first half. It was a new team and it just didn't work. At all. There you go. We have to try these things if we are going to manage this squad through a season.

Last half an hour was great. Could have scored 6. Credit to Ole for making the right subs. I went into this thinking I'd take any win at a horrible ground for us, so im very happy with 3 points here. We are moving up the league.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Thought Pogba was the only player worth anything in the first half, surprised at the criticism. The rest of the midfield was non-existent, at least he passed it ok and had some nice clearances.

Martial was shocking and I have no idea why Cavani was taken off instead. That right-back dominated him fully.

Rashford and Bruno changed things.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I don't get this place. Brilliantly turned the game around with some worldies scored against a team we always find tough away from home and after a difficult UCL game midweek and I mostly see hate or ridiculing. Strange.

Oranges038

A win is a win, and it's always welcome.

But that was a terrible performance.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Jekyll and Hyde United continue. The first half performance was a disgrace, West Ham were all over us and will rue their missed chances; we couldn't have complained with a 3-0 scoreline.You have think this whole 'play well for 30 mins max per game and pick up the wins' cannot go on forever, we need to get some consistency in our play soon and raise our bottom level from these disgusting lows. Ole and the players need to take a long hard look after that first 45.

All that said we were sensational for 20 minutes from around the hour mark. Rashford was my personal MotM as he gave us that impetus in behind and was just so damn busy. Bruno was great at orchestrating the play and Mata made his mark too. Pogba is an enigma few United fans seem to have much time for any more, he was very very poor in places but he deserves credit for that fantastic equaliser and some good play after that too. As for Ole credit where it's due, the subs worked a treat, though many of us were baffled with vdB and particularly Cavani being hooked but he revived us once again on the road.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Moan about the result when team playing well (PSG)
Moan about the quality of the play when team wins
Whatever happens, just moan

Lukinho

First I want to say this is my first post on the Caf. I've been reading for a long time now and decided to register. Now to the game i just cant believe why we always play so bad in the first half. It happened against Southampton, PSG and now against West Ham. Yeah it was a great comeback again but to be fair West Ham should've been 3:0 up at halftime. Its just so frustrating at times with Ole and this team but we are in a pretty good position in the league not that far away from the top. But now its all about the Champions League on Tuesday. If we end up in the Europa League than we have a big problem.

Sorry that i wrote so much:wenger:

leontas

We are fecking clueless without Bruno.

First hour was atrocious from us and those goals came out of nowhere. Happy with the result but like Neville said, our performances have been very hit and miss.

Crashoutcassius

We rotated. Credit to ole for turning the game around. Would love to see some genuine interesting analysis of why we were so bad in the first half... Rashford really changed the game

TsuWave

imagine being able to return to the stadium just to watch your team get blitzed. peak

even better it happened to WHU fans :drool:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Fantastic strikes by Paul, Mason and Marcus. Great ball by Juan. I’m absolutely delighted we won.

But, as Gary Neville rightly said in the first half, ”this Man Utd performance is as bad as it gets – shocking.” In the first half of the second half we weren’t much better. And let’s face it, West Ham are not peak Barcelona.

Surely we won’t keep on winning games where we play such rubbish in the first 60 mins and ship soft goals? (I hope we do, obviously.) Or is it a fiendishly clever rope-a-dope strategy? If so it didn’t work against PSG.

In my mind I’ve backed Ole since he started, despite all the bad parts. This season – although Ed Woodward and the board bear responsibility for thinking they knew better than manager and coaches, never mind fans, and didn’t buy a right winger or a commanding and quick VVD-style centre back – large swathes of our performances have, far too often, been rank. One step forward and you can pretty much bet on one step back. Despite some fabulous highlights.

Personally I have reluctantly come to feel that Ole doesn’t really know what he’s doing. (Many have said this for ages, of course.) There are some good players in this squad. Bruno being the best of them. But we are seriously underperforming and woefully inconsistent. As the old cliché goes, you don’t know which United is going to turn up. Ole should know.

I would like a new manager, and I’m very sad to say that. Great legend at the club, very decent guy – but I do think he’s out of his depth.
Great post. What can I fecking say. 100% the way I feel.

Gordon S

We were basically sleepwalking this game and still win it comfortably in he end.
The fecking quality you need to get these kind of wins!
Bruno and Rashford were great second half, really lifted us!
Also great to see Pogba score, i thought he grew into the game as well. Good performance overall after a slow and shakey first half.
Scott is a warrior but just feel we could improve greatly there.
We missed Fred somewhat as well. His work in the middle is really important to us.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 292 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% West Ham 1:3 Man Utd