PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 February 2024

Lexicon Red Devil

A sad day for the ten Hag out brigade but a good day for those who support the club.
Good performance overall, but what was he thinking sending Licha back on after the injury. Needed to wrap him in cotton wool considering his recent spell on the sidelines and now he could be out for a while. His in game management is still atrocious.

He also really needs to give Amad a chance. Feels like the only reason he's not getting any game time is because Ten Hag wasted £84m on Anthony and is too stubborn to admit he's just not up to it and probably never will be.

RedOrange

It wasn't even a good performance. It was good result. Pretty much a copy of Everton away.

We accumulated an xG of 0.80 compared to West Ham's 1.69, which is pretty funny.

They had 22 shots. 13 inside our box. And looked a threat from set-pieces all game. That's pretty much standard.

But it's a good day for ten Hag and those who continue to back him. It gives him a chance at staying in CL contention if United can beat Villa way next week.
Yet another phony United fan more interesting in scapegoating and sacking managers than watching the team win.

Yanited__

Very impressed with Hojlund. Didn't think he had that type of shot in his locker, on his weaker foot too.

Zen

It wasn't even a good performance. It was good result. Pretty much a copy of Everton away.

We accumulated an xG of 0.80 compared to West Ham's 1.69, which is pretty funny.

They had 22 shots. 13 inside our box. And looked a threat from set-pieces all game. That's pretty much standard.

But it's a good day for ten Hag and those who continue to back him. It gives him a chance at staying in CL contention if United can beat Villa way next week.
Alright Pochettino.

Ludens the Red

Shite first half, good second half. Good result and something I thought we could get because West Ham just aren’t very good.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Not exactly a vintage performance, but we actually looked reasonably comfortable sitting back and leaving them to play around in the middle without shitting the bed. We also looked like we could have created a few more good chances so all in all pretty good against a decent side.

I hope Licha is alright he means so much to this team.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good win but a bit annoyed that Martinez played on rather than going straight off the first time. If you can't make a precautionary substitution after 65 mins when you're 2-0 up against West Ham at home and you've got various international class defenders on the bench then when can you?

Also annoyed on behalf of Areola tbh, if he had a suspected concussion enough that he was subbed at half time, how come we couldn't spare 1 minute for the physio to come and have a look at him during the first half? The way they handle injuries in football is so daft sometimes.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Pretty easy in the end. Well done Garnacho. Along with Martinez and Luke Shaw. Dalot did well also as did Maguire. Rashford ineffective.

Withnail

This is quite a negative and slightly disingenuous interpretation of the stats. 1.69xG from 22 shots tells you a lot about the quality of their chances.

Yes, they did look dangerous at corners and we need to smarten up there but did they even create one big chance from open play?

siw2007

Very good win for United this afternoon. We played without the ball for too much for my liking but it worked, we were well organised, worked hard and played well individually and collectively. Hojlund was the best player on the pitch I thought, though Garnacho had a great 2nd half; every player was good today tbf.

Confidence is returning, we need to take advantage to make a siege on the top positions and a bit more luck (hopefully Martinez isn’t too badly injured).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Good win but a bit annoyed that Martinez played on rather than going straight off the first time. If you can't make a precautionary substitution after 65 mins when you're 2-0 up against West Ham at home and you've got various international class defenders on the bench then when can you?

Also annoyed on behalf of Areola tbh, if he had a suspected concussion enough that he was subbed at half time, how come we couldn't spare 1 minute for the physio to come and have a look at him during the first half? The way they handle injuries in football is so daft sometimes.
Yes agree with both those points. We need to keep Martinez fit because he is easily our best defender.
Pleased Casemiro played a whole match without a booking.

Chumpsbechumps

A sad day for the ten Hag out brigade but a good day for those who support the club.
They are trying to get their blue balls release in the ETH thread.

They can’t wait for us to lose again, I’d say they will explode with “I told you so” jizzfest after our next defeat.

Banana Republic

A great result in the context of the rest of the season and for building a confident spirit and winning mentality.
But for Onana’s first half saves, Dalot’s vital block and poor finishing by WHU in the 2nd half, the result would have been a lot tighter.
For a lot of the game, they walked through our midfield and it was only their lack of cutting edge and some good defending from our lads, kept them out.
Rashford is still struggling, despite putting more of an effort in and a decent first half performance.

Marcus

What a great game. Enjoyable and relatively stress free. Hope you recover quickly Licha!

mu4c_20le

Good performance overall, but what was he thinking sending Licha back on after the injury. Needed to wrap him in cotton wool considering his recent spell on the sidelines and now he could be out for a while. His in game management is still atrocious.

He also really needs to give Amad a chance. Feels like the only reason he's not getting any game time is because Ten Hag wasted £84m on Anthony and is too stubborn to admit he's just not up to it and probably never will be.
Resting Mainoo but not protecting Martinez when there were multiple options on the bench was indeed baffling

rollingstoned1

The game provided some needed sights:

1. Hojlund is clearly a quality striker in the making, if he had more chances, he'd be scoring them. At some point this season, people started criticizing him, despite the fact nothing in his game has shown he's not putting himself in the right spots. Even today's goal didn't come from a clear orchestrated move.

2. Garnacho, Mainoo and Rashford are also the future of this team. We may need better depth in their positions, but in addition to Hojlund, we have a really good young core.

3. Licha might also be injury prone. So it is paramount that we get another centre back for coverage.

4. This tactic doesn't control games. We were slow in our build up, and only livened up with counter attacking opportunties. I don't see this as the way forward. I think it's responsible for our limited chance creations and doesn't expose us to being dominated in possession or open to counter attacks. On the ball, I truly do not believe that Mainoo, Casemiro and Bruno can't dominate 90% of games. I've seen us with less technical midfields ( Mctominay and Fred) do so under Ole. ETH isn't the guy to take us forward. We have young talents and some older players ( Casemiro and Varane) that we can't afford to waste on hope. We have a lot of quality ( even in depth for players like Dalot) that can't be realized with Ten Haag. This won't be a popular statement, but I think individual performances in games over the course of the last two years shows that there is a lot of talent within the squad. We just have a manager that can't put it together to make it function together. Doesn't mean we don't need improvements in some positions, but it does mean we should be nowhere near as far off the top as we are with this group of players regardless of injuries.
I enjoyed the performance but I actually agree with your 4th point. W ham could have scored 2 today.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

xG is stupid and should be banned.

Mike Smalling

We are getting close to that sweet, sweet positive goal difference!

Not a perfect game, but still a really good win. Felt like we finally had a bit of luck on our side as well. In another game Emerson scores his big chance, and we are under pressure. Instead he misses and we get jammy goal.

Enjoyed that. With a full week until our next game, the lineup picks itself (pending Martinez’ status).

RoyH1

Good result but please let Lisandro's injury be less serious than it looks like to be.

Fallon d'Floor

Yet another phony United fan more interesting in scapegoating and sacking managers than watching the team win.
Some fans are very simple with their takes. A win is all that matters to some, while others can look beyond judging a performance based on win/draw/loss.

If wins are all that matter you, that's fine. But don't start throwing shit at others who have an opinion which doesn't align with your own.

The main difference has been more ruthless finishing from the attackers recently. The Mainoo and Hojlund goals in particular. We are still poor at dealing with set-pieces and give up a lot of shots on our goal. We've faced 71 shots across our last 4 games.

Chumpsbechumps

A great result in the context of the rest of the season and for building a confident spirit and winning mentality.
But for Onana’s first half saves, Dalot’s vital block and poor finishing by WHU in the 2nd half, the result would have been a lot tighter.
For a lot of the game, they walked through our midfield and it was only their lack of cutting edge and some good defending from our lads, kept them out.
Rashford is still struggling, despite putting more of an effort in and a decent first half performance.
Casmerio was concerning aswell. I hope it’s just he’s still trying to get back to fitness as it was his first full game in months.

I actually thought we were ok today, not great. I want to see further improvements as we go along. Winning of course is vital but I want to see an upward trajectory.

A win against Villa and we are really mot

BorisManUtd

Only watched 2nd half and it was solid. Not a 3-0 win but good enough.

Hopefully Martinez' injury is not serious as he's so important to us and we may still manage some success in this season if he remains fit.

Next one is at Villa. Tbh I don't expect us to win there but hopefully we try at least and not capitulate.

Our goal difference is -1 so still negative after 23 games :lol:

Teja

Sad about the Martinez injury. We look so much better in build up when he's around.

Fallon d'Floor

This is quite a negative and slightly disingenuous interpretation of the stats. 1.69xG from 22 shots tells you a lot about the quality of their chances.

Yes, they did look dangerous at corners and we need to smarten up there but did they even create one big chance from open play?
We only created 1 big chance all game, technically. 3-0 was flattering.

We've faced 16+ shots on our goal in each of our last 4 games. 71 in total.

Blood Mage

Fair play, good performance and good win today. Worried about Martinez though I hope he's okay.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Comfortable enough and enjoyed the win but would have liked to see Amad get a run out instead of Antony. Hope Licha is OK for the Villa game and we beat them. A much tiger game than today.

Bobski

I don't it was a great performance but there is a consistent goal threat there now which is going to make the opposition nervous after a season of them having too much confidence in playing Utd. The big moments with the Maguire mistake not being punished and then the deflected second decided the game and Utd won going away.

downunder red

Great result and what I like is the players seem to be passing to team mates in a better scoring position. The greediness seems to have gone for now. Hopefully the young ones realise that assists are just as good as goals.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

We were quite clearly the better team. They missed one big chance hence the xG differential but they barely had a sniff apart from that. Got their heads to some corners but that’s all.

Red Royal

3-0 comfortable win and there are still some on the caf who want a good old moan. I really think some should pack in watching us.

Dan_F

I imagine because Martinez told him he wanted to continue. The player is the only person who knows the extent of the pain in that moment.

Withnail

We only created 1 big chance all game, technically. 3-0 was flattering.

We've faced 16+ shots on our goal in each of our last 4 games. 71 in total.
Well that's exactly my point about stats and how you can use them to present any view.

Watching the game 3-0 was not flattering at all. We could and should have scored more. West Ham rarely looked dangerous.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 249 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham
  • 14% Man Utd 3:1 West Ham