PL L FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 April 2019

lex talionis

Grim performance overall by a side that looked too proud to get up for Wolves. No excuses, but many of the players look like they can't be bothered with fighting for fourth place.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We need a complete overhaul. Not a little this season, a little next season

Purchases:
150m - 2 creative midfielders (75m ea.)
90m - RW
50m - LW
80m - CB
40m - RB
30m - LB
Free - Rabiot

440m - Total.

Sales:
150m - Pogba
40m - Rojo, Darmian & Bailly.
40m - Lingard & Sanchez
10m - Mata
Free - Herrera

240m - Total

Net spend 200m.

If we want to move forward as a club,this needs to happen.
Disagree. A RW, a RB, a MF.

Dont think we can rely on Pogba 50 games a season so perhaps he could go. He will probably have a stormer now against Barca when i say this.

Ekeke

Whatever. You win. Happy?
Just explain why you are suggesting its a bad thing that he's compared to Fellaini. He was a useful squad player at times including this season. And this is coming from someone accused of being a "Fellaini hater"

Obviously we can hope that he becomes better than Fellaini was.

GiddyUp

We need a complete overhaul. Not a little this season, a little next season

Purchases:
150m - 2 creative midfielders (75m ea.)
90m - RW
50m - LW
80m - CB
40m - RB
30m - LB
Free - Rabiot

440m - Total.

Sales:
150m - Pogba
40m - Rojo, Darmian & Bailly.
40m - Lingard & Sanchez
10m - Mata
Free - Herrera

240m - Total

Net spend 200m.

If we want to move forward as a club,this needs to happen.
Totally doable over two windows. Utilize the youth teams for domestic cups and sign good players that give a shit. I would take 3 or 4 players from Wolves over Lingard/Young/Smalling/Mata.

GledTheRed

We've got so many shit players, no other top club would persist with some of the dross we have yet alone reward them with bumper new contracts. Squad needs a complete overhaul, stop persisting with these useless players and get rid of those who don't want to be there (DDG, Pogba, Herrera).

Whiteside '85

Arsenal /Spurs/ Chelsea aren't gonna win every game.

It's gonna be squeaky bum time for those guys too.

Come on let's get behind Ole

SirMattlives

Oddly, I draw some comfort from this game - we played well at times. The finishing really let us down. Lukaku should have buried a header in the first half when he had the goal to aim at and chose to hit the goalie. Lindgard had a good chance too but we just could not finish. For periods in the game we had crisp passing, movement and looked in control. Some sloppy play cost us, the sending off was a disaster, not sure what it is with Young but he gives away silly fouls all the time and today the ref just nailed him for it. Frustrating for sure, but remember how it felt before Ole -- this was normal and we could not even say we played ok. So, deep breath, move on....people here wrote off Top 4 before Xmas so the fact that we are even imagining it's still possible and we are playing Barca in the CL is something to bear in mind. Keep the faith.

Irrational.

Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) I missed the game. Can anyone summarise? Seems we were unlucky and Wolves scored from their only two shots on target.

After being in such a great position, it seems like we've thrown top four away. There goes our season I suppose. This will only motivate Spurs, Arsenal and especially Chelsea who got away with a jammy win over the weekend. Why can't we have that kinda luck? :(

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
At least we create chances. We won a game we didn't deserve to win last time, and now we lost one i think we deserved more out of. But, like Watford learned before us... chances needs to be put away. Today we didnt, and now the 4th spot looks far, far away. But it is far from over.

Siorac

Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) I missed the game. Can anyone summarise? Seems we were unlucky and Wolves scored from their only two shots on target.

After being in such a great position, it seems like we've thrown top four away. There goes our season I suppose. This will only motivate Spurs, Arsenal and especially Chelsea who got away with a jammy win over the weekend. Why can't we have that kinda luck? :(
We weren't really unlucky, we just self-destructed after playing well and taking the lead. Stupid mistakes and absolute idiocy from Young.

freddie the red

Big.
Clearout.
Required.

Too many bang average players currently at United and one who seems to think he's doing us a favour by being at OT but stinks the place out week after week.
Every single Wolves player looked technically adept tonight and most of ours were shocking.
We all know who needs to go, lets hope the heirarchy have the guts to get it done.
I'm well happy that Ole's got the gig full time but nobody can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear......get rid of the mediocre and commit cash where it's needed.

LingiBW

You believe this is enough? We will never catch up with just signing 3 as you suggest.

Dont think we can rely on Pogba 50 games a season so perhaps he could go. He will probably have a stormer now against Barca when i say this.
I believe it can be done in 1 summer. Ole will be drilling new patterns of play hopefully so the point about too many disruptions goes out the window since how we play will basically be new to everyone.

We can use the 1st half of the season for gelling purposes but 2nd half we'd have to show we are ready to win the title in 2020/21.

Totally doable over two windows. Utilize the youth teams for domestic cups and sign good players that give a shit. I would take 3 or 4 players from Wolves over Lingard/Young/Smalling/Mata.

darko

At least we create chances. We won a game we didn't deserve to win last time, and now we lost one i think we deserved more out of. But, like Watford learned before us... chances needs to be put away. Today we didnt, and now the 4th spot looks far, far away. But it is far from over.
It's not far away. Third place isn't that far away either.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
There is so much wrong with this club, on so many levels that I don’t know where to start.

Our squad is so overrated that it’s sometimes painful to see how we crumble against decent oppositions. We have a few elite players, some prospects but most of the squad is over paid, over aged, or just plain average bordering to bad.

Everyone connected to the club understands that we need at least four, probably five starters to compete at the highest level. We’re more then two levels below the very best clubs, and that’s to put it mildly.

Let’s be realistic. De Gea is world class on the line but apart from that there is plenty to criticize.

Luke Shaw has all the tolls to be a great full back but he’s not a game changer. He needs stability around him to be at his best.

Lindelof is a very good defender but he’s not top class material, a leader who can command his defensive line with confidence and authority. That’s not Viggo.

The rest of our defensive line isn’t anywhere near top class. Some of them shouldn't even be near a United starting line up.

Pogba is our only world class player, on his day. But at the same time he’s not a leader you build a team around. Too inconsistent and his positional skills isn’t something to write home about. The rest is so average and a few of them shouldn’t even be squad players judging by their performances.

Rashford and Martial. That’s about it. Lukaku is a nice character but he will never be a striker who leads his team to glory, not even close. Lingard is a squad player and the rest is over paid and over aged. Boom! Manchester United 2019.

I love Ole Gunnar. What a likable guy, but has he the knowledge to take us to the next level. Competing for trophies every season. To dominate against almost any opponent when necessary. I’m not so sure. His man management is top notch, his political skills is up with the best but tactically he seems to have holes in his armour. Maybe he can learn but we don’t have the luxury to wait too long.

Against Wolves we lost because we beat ourselves. Don’t get me wrong, Wolverhampton is a very good team at home but Fred’s mistake. Smalling and Young. Lingard and Lukaku. Dalot made mistakes. Lindelof had a bad day. Our bench was weak. And finally our fitness?? WT flying F.

I’m so disappointed. Was sitting in a bar in Playa del Carmen, so hot and so frustrated. My wife had to calm me down. I hate losses.

darko

Arsenal have five out of their seven remaining matches away from home. They have the tenth best away record in the EPL and six points from their last eight away matches. Arsenal is no lock for the top fourth. Tottenham is in free fall form with just one point in their last five matches. Chelsea is not exactly in any form to brag about.

I can't believe how many posters think that the top four is not possible.

Last edited:

bdspeedy

I'm still thinking that the last second goal by Barkley and the 2 points dropped are indicative of our season. I'm back to the mindset of expecting to just miss out on top 4 and getting smashed in the champs league. No more inflated expectations. No more pressure. Pogba, DeGea and Herrera can stay or go. Spring has spung here in Cali. Hope we make top 4 and win the champs league. If not.... c'est la vie. Next year ...for sure.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

We started really well. Had we taken our chances we would have been three up. Lingarrd and Lukaku had free headers that the goaly saved.

Fred was good controlling the ball and then made a huge error which cost is the goal. Wolves took over then. We kind of lost our way.

Started the second half well. Mctomminah should have scored. Then young was sent off and everything went to shit understandably.

Pogba was just useless as well.

Judas

Open to offers
Arsenal have five out of their seven remaining matches away from home. They have the tenth best away record in the EPL. Arsenal is no lock for the top fourth. Tottenham is in free fall form with just one point in their last five matches. Chelsea is not exactly in any form to brag about.

Doesn't really matter about the other top 4 contenders when we're so woefully out of form with plenty of tough games to go honestly.

RedorDead21

Course. The world will be watching. He stands to gain more personally.....

GiddyUp

You believe this is enough? We will never catch up with just signing 3 as you suggest.

I believe it can be done in 1 summer. Ole will be drilling new patterns of play hopefully so the point about too many disruptions goes out the window since how we play will basically be new to everyone.

We can use the 1st half of the season for gelling purposes but 2nd half we'd have to show we are ready to win the title in 2020/21.
You are right and a Europa league place might be a blessing in disguise. I would love Ole to quietly go about his business building a team that compliments our past.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Arsenal have five out of their seven remaining matches away from home. They have the tenth best away record in the EPL. Arsenal is no lock for the top fourth. Tottenham is in free fall form with just one point in their last five matches. Chelsea is not exactly in any form to brag about.

It was possible when we were in invincible mode not that long ago. But now we look just as bad as the rest.

ArjenIsM3

We played well for the first 25 minutes. McTominay Scored a good goal but we could (should) have scored more. They equalizer through a shite challenge from Fred and we lose the plot. This lasts untill half time. We then get fecked over by Young who decides it's a great idea to lunge in like an idiot while already on a yellow. Obviously, he gets sent off. After that we're still the better team right up untill Smalling and De Gea have a collective brainfart and Smalling taps it into his own net. Our spirits sink. Smalling then tries to put another past De Gea who manages to stop it this time. The end. Positives: McTominay MOTM, Lindelof (our best CB) steady.
Negatives: Young (as usual). Pogba was garbage. Lingard too. Fred a mixed bag. The rest tried but failed to compensate for so many players not turning up.

Gordon S

We are an enigma. We looked like a fairly solid top 4 team for almost 3 months under Ole, now we suddenly look like a tired veterans team. No energy, no smiles, no cohesion, no confidence.

Played good at times in the first 30 minutes but then the heads just drops when they score and we can't get anything going again.

A bit depressing but i think we will find form soon again.

pascell

I'm not sure we were in a great position for top four. Mourinho left us in a horrific place, the teams above us lost form which helped us gain on them and then they found form, we lost to Arsenal in a must win game and now any game we lose, top four gets further out of our reach. I think we've done brilliantly to get into the position we're in but it seems some players have given in at the last hurdle.

To summarise the game, we dominated the first 30 mins but missed sitters either side of our goal. Then in typical United fashion, we allowed them to come into the game and gifted them goals through mistakes, we really were our own downfall tonight.

AJ10

We could have been 3 up in the first 20 mins (Lukaku and Lingard missed sitters) then fred Couldn't control a simple pass from which they scored then we went to shit.

We started the second half well but young got himself sent off, which basically ruined any chance for us.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I didn’t watch the game but it doesn’t surprise me reading from the comments. Lingard, Lukaku, Young are just inconsistent and poor. I never thought they were Man quality. Pogba decided to disappear in the game. De Gea decided that he is done with saving Utd ass. Really need to truly overhaul this team. No manager can lead us to a title without a huge investment. 1 CB, 1 RB, 1 RM, 2 MF and 1 ST. That’s about 6 players. Players to let go or sell are Bailly, Darmian, Rojo, Mata, Lukaku, Fred, Sanchez, Lingard and maybe Pogba (highest bidder - 150m) to raise fund.

AnotherDayIsToday

I have seen for many years now we are outplayed at midfield by average teams.
To start with we need "Kostas Manolas" (center back) ,"Eden Hazard" (fantastic midtfielder) and "Robert Lewandowsky" (fantastic striker) or someone like them if there is!!

If we need to pay billions, pay. When we can pay sanchez the way we do there should not be a problem.

Sell Pogba, sell De gea (they are not here in their mind) so sell.

That is all for today after another terrible performance.

The Purley King

Did wolves even have a shot on target apart from their first goal?
We completely gifted them that game.
Should have scored 3 in the first half and mctominay unlucky in the 2nd.
We played very well in patches and if the finishing was up to par we’d be talking about a comfortable win.
Negatives were pogba who was absolute fecking gash. Should have been hooked after 50 minutes. Strolling about the place giving the ball away. No effort whatsoever. He can go to Madrid if he’s going to have that attitude.
Smalling had a bambi on ice night.
De gea I don’t know what’s happened to him but if he really wants Madrid then let’s get rid and bring Henderson back in or play Romero.

Hugely disappointing as we were far superior to wolves today and shot ourselves in both feet then in the head.

Kaglish10

Funny how McTominay, an academy player with little game times was head and shoulders above the rest. I believe McTominay should have been deployed in the holding midfied role alongside Fred in a 2-man midfield rather than him being high up the pitch. His first touch looks far better than Fred hence he should be the one considered for the lone CDM role, not Fred.

That aside, we really need a playmaker that bad. Everytime our team come up against opposition with a playmaker in the midfield, we always come up short and looks inept. I bet we are the only team in the top 6 teams on the table without a known playmaker. City has David Silva, Bernardo, Gundogan and even De Bruyne, Liverpool has Wijnaldum, Chelsea has Jorginho, Spurs has Eriksen, Arsenal has Xhaka, Wolves has Moutinho and Neves.

It's so pathetic that we don't have a midfielder who can visualize the pitch, becomes aware of the spaces on it and build up the tempo to exploit these spaces through his movement, build-up, incisive vertical passes and even knows how to create space where there's none through his vision, awareness and technique, that is, simply "make a play" happen. Pogba is definitely not such player. Pogba is the kind of player that can only build on a laid down tempo already set up by a playmaker. Even at the world cup, France had to resort to counter attacking style to get the best out of Pogba's long ball to Mbappe on the break and we don't have Mbappe in our team. Besides, we're too big of a team to depend on a long ball counter attacking style of play. France for example still had the referee to thank for the freekick he gave Griezman for a non existing foul at the final to ease their way to a world cup win, considering the fact that Croatia dominated them during the early stages until referee's poor handling of the match.

My point is Manchester United is a big club who should be be dominant in almost every match and shouldn't have to resort to a coward long ball style of play before we can be assured of a win.

I really don't have anything to say about any of our players tonight. They were all shambolic except McTominay. The team needs a total overhaul. We need at least two quality playmakers, a ball playing defender, a full back and a right winger in the team. And if Pogba wants to leave for Madrid, good riddance already. We don't need a luxury in the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Run_time_error

Too much over the top negativity on here. I know we're all disappointed with the result and, yes a number of players were not at the races today but we created a lot of decent chances.

Lingard gets a lot of abuse but he's far from being the worst offender. Something was wrong with Pogba and I just can't work him out. He should be taking the piss out of the opposition but is off the boil at the moment.

Even Fred had a reasonable game apart from that costly mistake but why is DDG giving him the ball when he's surrounded by four players and will have no out ball?

On another day we'd have been well up by half time. We played much better than last weekend when we won. I'm as pissed off with the result as everyone else but sometimes it's your day and sometimes it's not. Strengthen the midfield in the summer and add some creativity out wide. We've proven since Ole came in that we can compete, we just need to do it more consistently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Niall

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Bullshit game that. We should have been out of sight in the first half, instead we gave away two stupid feckin goals.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
At least I enjoyed watching Moutinho. Reminds me of a poverty version of Xavi that guy

INF-AMOS

Ole's biggest test is having the conviction to clear all the deadwood out of this squad.
He's going to have to be ruthless and then bring in quality young players like Rice and Sancho who are hungry and would bring a new energy.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Wolves 0:2 Man Utd