PL L FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 April 2019

Pavl3n

We look rusty the last couple of games. Passes going astray, taking too long to control the ball. Lingard couldn't head that ball in the first half more casualy than what he did. And David fecking De Gea cost us the game. Just like Pereira's mistake in the Burnley game, same thing happened today - it was a bad pass from De Gea. And the second goal - what was he thinking? He is starting to worry me more and more. Why couldn't he catch the ball when Lindelof was shielding the ball? When he realized he made a mistake he forgot about the pain in the back of his head.

We weren't at our best but De Gea is bringing back his first days in the club, which starts to worry me too much. Too many mistakes from his side.

Al-T

Started well, which surprised given the line up. Let Wolves back in the game. Then gifted it them.
Can't see us troubling Barcelona.
Much work to be done in the summer starting with fitness and attitude. Mourinho wasn't the only problem at this football club.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He's done a good job, not saying that. Saying there's not actually all that much to suggest he'd be the right man at United, because there has been more than a few key parts to him that just do not line up with the demands of being a United manager.
Genuine question...

What is it about Solskjaer that makes him align to the demands of being a United manager?

TheReligion

Abusive
Let's not reinvent the game. Some of you seem to think Wolves played us off the park when they didn't. They were gifted two goals and saw more of the ball when we were down to 10 men. United deserved a point at least and would have won the game had they taken their chances and not make feck up after feck up. Infact I think United win the game with 11 men.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Miss sitters, get stupid red cards and give away two goals. Stupid individual errors cost us dearly and we have no one to thank but ourselves.

Squad needs some serious work if we want to compete for trophies again. Half of this lot are not good enough to play for a club with ambitions of silverware

Regalia

He was the reason we're not in the Top four.
I won't argue that statement nor get into another Mou is the Devil debate. However, there were reasons (whether you like them or not) that made him become the reason we were not in the Top 4.

Ole has overseen a mini-revival, but I'm starting to feel that all he's done is bring back some feel good factor and just 'be Ole'. Saying the right words to the press, smiling a lot, nothing special. I love the guy, but is he Man Utd manager material? Jury is still very much out on that.

Once the adrenaline and bounce passed (took longer than expected, honestly), we can all see our players look and play almost exactly as they did during Mourinho's time. Heck, they're doing the same clueless rubbish they were doing for LVG and Moyes. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and admit our squad is just full of average players, and our only 'star' is a petulant prima donna I'd much rather see move off to Real or wherever he thinks he's good enough for.

hobbers

Lingard, Pogba, Young, Jones, Smalling, Fred...

Absolute shite. And 5 of them have absolutely no business starting matches at a club this size.

Mal donaghy

Pogba and degea have already checked out, i would have a bet with anyone on here neither will be a united player next season, de gea didnt even use his hands when he slid in with raul, very peculiar decison making lately, and as for pogba , hes more of a hinderence than help to the team, we are ssssooooooo far behind the arabian knights and liverpooh its ridiculous.

GiddyUp

But they're 10th and we're 18 points ahead. So obviously our squad has better quality.
Read the post again. I said the quality of players in our squad. Remove 2/3 players from our 22 man squad and there is nothing but mediocrity. It's been like this for a long time now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Only positive of tonight was McTom's performance, plus Shaw and Young will miss the West Ham game in between the Barcelona run arounds.
They'll need a breather!!

Irishman

Terrible result.

The least said about the performance of our social media wannabee kingpins Pogba and Lingard the better.

Thought Fred (mistake aside) and McTominay had decent games.

Says alot about the state of the club when we still rely on Ashley Young at right back. He epitomises everything we are as a club. Stale, spent and on a perpetual downward spiral.

That's the reality unfortunately and despite the club playing to the gallows by appointing a fan favourite, our era as a top team in this league is well and truly over.

Inter Yer Nan

Awful really. Blew a bunch of chances, some horrific individual performances and errors. Simply have too many players lacking the necessary quality and desire also.

I was buzzing after the PSG win. Now I've basically resigned to us missing out top 4 and not making the semi's of the champions league.

unitedsoldier

I refuse to become a club hater so I shall remain calm... Next season we better have some serious new faces in the team.

These guys don't have a cohesive balance because there are players who are nowhere near good enough to play with others in my opinion. It just makes us completely inconsistent . Chances not taken are ridiculous at this stage of the season. Sigh.

minoo-utd

Looks like we will miss on top four. Tough games still ahead and players seem out of concentration! OGS will now be under really pressure and we don't know if he can handle it.

ravi2

Bye bye Champions League football for next season.....

Looking forward to seeing a defence of Jones, Smalling and Young starting while our biggest rivals are ending up dominating English and European trophies....
It irritates me just reading that.
If Ole doesnt have the mother of all transfer windows this summer we are up shit creek without a paddle next season.

This game highlights several issues -

United need an out and out goal scorer. The chances created in the first twenty minutes were enough to see us go two ahead. Oles strategy of coming out quick and applying pressure was sound however we dont have quality goal scorers to finish the opportunities we created.

Pogba is not the midfield general united need. Neither is Fred. However if we had a quality ball winning midfielder Pogba would be a fantastic asset to the team. Having said if he is not commited to the team Id sell him in a heart beat.

United have become a slow and immobile team. The work rate and pressing of our key players is not up to standard.

Things seem to have gone toxic in the dressing room. Sanchez wages were a mistake. Id like to see United take a hard line in dealing with contracts. If we were top of the league and in the running for four trophies I would see some point of pandering to wage demands but considering where we are and the low quality of players performances I would sooner let anyone demanding unrealistic money go .

cyril C

It seemed we struggle against teams with fast legs, high pressing and lots of energy.

Adcuth

I'm not slaughtering Ole.

I'm completely disaffected by the whole club.

I don't have any faith that this Technical Director will be up to much.

I don't have any faith that we will do the required business in the transfer market.

Once all the romance subsides, we will realise that Poch was probably the better option.

It'll be a painful end to the season and bar one small new manager burst, perhaps Jose was right all along.
I bet you're a hit at parties.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Read the post again. I said the quality of players in our squad. Remove 2/3 players from our 22 man squad and there is nothing but mediocrity. It's been like this for a long time now.
I know what you posted and it's a load of shite. You're saying our squad is midtable standard. :lol:

ravi2

Maybe we need to hit rock bottom. Maybe its the best DDG, Herrera, Pogba all leave. Maybe we need to restart. Problem is we give contracts to the likes of Young and Jones. We have a mish mash of players and not one leader among them.
...and I was thinking having Moyes manage United was rock bottom, but it seems there is room for unimprovement

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
We weren't that good anyway but have we also hit a physical wall? The intensity really picked up after José left it seems but the players might be struggling to make it up.

OLLY ORANGE

Ole saying we played well.
Not breeding a lot of confidence in me for next season

Giggzy P

Terrible, we should have been at least 2 nil up before they scored. They scored at it all went to shite. We created enough to win the game, but some players seem not to be bothered, Pogba the main culprit, then Young.
A question the club needs to answer is how we how allowed ourselves to have young still in our starting 11, our first choice right back? It's unacceptable really.
We just have too many average players in our team. Ole has his work cut out, and he himself has to make changes a bit quicker, Jesse should have been off at halftime yet he finished the match doing only he knows.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I won't argue that statement nor get into another Mou is the Devil debate. However, there were reasons (whether you like them or not) that made him become the reason we were not in the Top 4.

Ole has overseen a mini-revival, but I'm starting to feel that all he's done is bring back some feel good factor and just 'be Ole'. Saying the right words to the press, smiling a lot, nothing special. I love the guy, but is he Man Utd manager material? Jury is still very much out on that.

Once the adrenaline and bounce passed (took longer than expected, honestly), we can all see our players look and play almost exactly as they did during Mourinho's time. Heck, they're doing the same clueless rubbish they were doing for LVG and Moyes. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and admit our squad is just full of average players, and our only 'star' is a petulant prima donna I'd much rather see move off to Real or wherever he thinks he's good enough for.[/QUOUTE]
If you decide to question Oles Management CV then we may as well just throw in the towel because whenever we get a bad result(s) this will be churned out as a way to stick the knife in. He's not even had a transfer window to assess and bring in his own players for fecks sake.

Jose was a petulant bellend and made the entire season a fecking soap opera. I couldn't give two shits what he thinks.

Ahsan_6386

It isn't on him, but he now has to just tell Young to go, sell Pogba unless he shows some resolve for the rest of the season, get a striker with some resemblance of a first touch. The task he has is gargantuan.
I agree the task in hand for him is enormous but unfortunately the signs are not good . Honestly I felt we should have held the Ole permanent announcement till the end of the season after analyzing and going through all aspects of the remaining season . We seem to have put more pressure on Ole now that he is the permanent manager . With big games again Barca, Chelsea and City coming up our restless fans will start calling for his head if results don't go well .

Apart from that Pogba and De Gea our 2 most important players seem to have lost interest after new transfer speculations started coming in . So it's starting to feel like a disaster is around the corner .

GiddyUp

I know what you posted and it's a load of shite. You're saying our squad is midtable standard. :lol:
Players in our squad are mid table quality, I've said for you three times now. Very dim aren't you.

Cypherage

3 defeats in 4 for United,but personally i think that's down to the averageness of this team,irrispective who are manager is,as long as Woody controlls the in's and out's of are transfers then the likes of Smalling,Jones,Young will continue to get nice shiney new contracts.

buckooo1978

really needed our big players to step up but Pogba wasnt interested, Lukaku wasted a great chance and didnt get involved enough.

kinda want this season to be over and for us to start afresh - we need 5 players minimum

George The Best

:lol:

The bloke had built a better squad than what we have on a shoe string and guided them to generally better finishes than us. They also play a far more attractive brand of football. I think he's reached the end of a cycle with them but that's not to detract from the job he's done.

It's all elementary now in any case. He will continue to excel at whichever club he plies his trade. Bugger knows what'll happen with United. Probably more of the same...
Agree with some of this. Lot depends on what we do in the summer market. I still have a feeling Poch was the better bet. Time will tell I guess.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought we were excellent in the first 20 minutes, then completely shat the bed when we conceded. Started the second half well too, then Young got sent off and that’s all she wrote.

Oh well. Still early days under the new manager and it’s not a massive surprise to see a good team like Wolves expose some of our long-standing flaws.

ZupZup

Weird match really. Started the match brilliantly and could have been two or three up. Wolves equaliser from Fred’s error came a bit against the run of play at that point, but it completely sapped all our confidence. Suddenly they started to get the better of us when we should have got back to doing all the things we did well in the first 20 mins. It just showed a real lack of leadership in the side.

Second half we started brightly again... and even did ok after Young’s stupidity got himself sent off. They scored from another poor error on the parts of Smalling and De Gea and we struggled to get back in the game as our players tired towards the end.

Just really frustrating how stupid mistakes cost us and we needed to be more clinical.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Wolves 0:2 Man Utd