PL L FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 April 2019

Dinghy

You don't understand football do you?

Having the ball doesn't equal dominance, us having the ball is exactly what Wolves want so it's meaningless. The only sitter we had was Lukaku's and that came in a period when yes we were doing well but that was up until their goal, after that we lost the midfield battle and they were comfortable defensively whilst always being more of a threat in attack. We were the better side for about a quarter of the entire game, the rest it was at best even if not completely in Wolves favour
:lol:

Wolves did feck all all game.

b20times

Wolves are no mugs, I fancy them for the cup. Honeymoon period well and truly over after all the hype. Smalling and Jones are a great double act.

MisterLupus

Meh this kind of makes up for the Watford game. An ok match overall though they wasted too many chances - and then three stupid mistakes cost us the game. Fred's (yeah whatever that was tbh did he have a nervous breakdown or something?) and Young's second yellow card (which was every bit as stupid and unecessary as his first one) - and then the entire defensive line disintegrated completely prior to Smalling's own goal.

The defence needs restructuring because it was so faulty it almost felt as if some of the players threw this game on purpose - but all in all I had a bad feeling prior to this one because of the drop in form during our win against Watford as well as the fact that there's only beem a one-day breather. When that sending off occured I thought we were done for sure but tbh despite the obvious mistakes which Wolves exploited clinically and being 10v11 I think they held together better than against Watford.

Disappointed with and suspicious about what the hell went on with our defenders but not disheartened. Still looking better than Tottenham's done lately at least xD

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Hammer blow this. Top 4 was a pipe dream end of last year, but to get back in the race and essentially shut the door again is sickening.

Felt we learned absolutely nothing from the last Wolves game. They sit back and then counter us so easily. We are so predictable. Fair play to Wolves but we made it easy for them by setting up the exact same as last time out.

We had the usual 20 minute high period and then bottomed out.

Young atrocious all game. Overshoots longballs and underhits freekicks - that’s a talent in itself.

Pogba really is taking the piss. Awful yet again. Jesse somehow staying on ahead of Rom. I could go on - McTominay putcin some shift.

Jim Reaper

Well the whole "appoint him now to get a boost" really backfired on us.

Good start to the game but we fell apart after that. Lingard anonymous. Lukaku missing a sitter. Young brain-dead. Dave sloppy.

Poor all around.

Top 4 looking super unlikely with Spurs and City to come.
Has nothing todo with Ole's appointment. We have been shite since PSG. Its almost as if that game took everything out of the team. I think we have a massive problem with confidence which i do not understand. Also, fitness seems to be an issue which can be explained easier.

Matt007a

The first 20 minutes was excellent. As soon as Wolves scored the equaliser we completely fell off a cliff form wise. Whether it’s a confidence problem or what I don’t know.

The defending for the 2nd goal was so poor. Jones was weak in the aerial challenge but then De Gea has to be braver when the ball drops. He’s the best shot stopper around but he is too scared of putting himself about and diving near players feet.

I know Young is going to get endless abuse for the red card but really it was McTominay’s pass that caused that problem. He manages to miss him with a 6 yard pass and Young feels he has to try and win that ball, or the Wolves man runs through on goal. That said Young is still not good enough and absolutely needs replacing as a top priority.

On a more positive note, McTominay was excellent, red card incident aside and Shaw was once again pretty good. He’s been our most reliably and consistent player over the last 6 weeks and is one of the only players who drives forward with any real purpose.

We knew beforehand that a massive transfer window was ahead and nothing has changed in that regard. Let’s not knee jerk and say we need to sell the entire team, but we certainly need a CB, RB, CM and RW to come in.

The Firestarter

Maybe we need to hit rock bottom. Maybe its the best DDG, Herrera, Pogba all leave. Maybe we need to restart. Problem is we give contracts to the likes of Young and Jones. We have a mish mash of players and not one leader among them.
Have to agree about the leaders part, but not sure how letting those three go would help us, unless we are prepared to spend a billion on a new team.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm not slaughtering Ole.

I'm completely disaffected by the whole club.

I don't have any faith that this Technical Director will be up to much.

I don't have any faith that we will do the required business in the transfer market.

Once all the romance subsides, we will realise that Poch was probably the better option.

It'll be a painful end to the season and bar one small new manager burst, perhaps Jose was right all along.
You are a bit like me. I worry for Ole, that he won't get the help he needs, that they will not listen to him, that if we don't get CL they will sign some big named washed up player hoping to recoup some of the lost money through merchandising and sponsorship.

GiddyUp

Only way we make top 4 now is if we beat City and help Pool win the league. Bleak times.
I would rather a season in the wilderness then to let that shower get their hands on the premier league.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
We still in the top 4 fight although we're now probably looking at 1 spot available amongst 3 teams. Wolves is our bogey side, a better footballing side than us even.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You mean like Mourinho, LvG or Moyes ? At least give the guy a chance to get some of HIS players in Before you slaughter him.
He’s right on quite a few points though but so are you.

Ole has to show more than just a good caretaker and club legend etc. We’ve seen them sacked before; Dalgleish,Souness etc. I don’t want to see him go that way but that is 3 defeats in 4. We wouldn’t be so charitable if he wasn’t Ole

A lot of work to do! Is he up to it? I don’t know and I’m not sure anyone truly does

Jim Reaper

We started very well and had them on the ropes. Should've scored 3 goals in the first half but instead fecked up to give Wolves a life line. Conceding the goal jolted us but we came out in the second half and played very well and could've retaken the lead through McTominay. Even after the red card we looked the team more likely but it just wasn't our day. On another day we win comfortably.

Ole was spot on with the the way he set the team up and I have zero complaints. Wolves were very fortunate to come away with the win but that's football.
I actually tend to agree with this. I think a few players had bad performances but the individual errors changed the game and the two/three players that made them should not be near the first team.

Jep

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole
without wanting to sound hyperbolic or a kneejerk reaction, but that was poor and its a struggle to name players who played well. Scotty was probably the best, Fred was doing ok until his feck up, Lindlelof seemed ok and so did Smalling apart from his slips and lack of passing ability. The rest were dire.

De Gea should have grown balls and claimed that ball for the 2nd and made a hash of the attempted collection in the slide.
Shaw looked slow and kept stopping
Lingard, what did he actually do and looked well of the pace
Dalot not terrible, not great
Lukaku looked lively but reverted back to poor touches and pointing
Young, aimless balls and sent off, no need to say anything else
Pogba was fecking useless and did not look interested at all. To be honest if Madrid do put an offer in and its decent I would sell, his good games are to few and far between.

tony54

Single common denomitator for all this crap is the glaziers and their limiting buying to other teams casts off. Pogba is such a case, juventus must have seen the signs and got rid. Good players are retained.
Poor Olly if this is going to be his fate.
I recommend they sell dhea and pogba. Dhea because he deserves better and pogba cos hes a one in four wonder boy.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hammer blow this. Top 4 was a pipe dream end of last year, but to get back in the race and essentially shut the door again is sickening.

Felt we learned absolutely nothing from the last Wolves game. They sit back and then counter us so easily. We are so predictable. Fair play to Wolves but we made it easy for them by setting up the exact same as last time out.

We had the usual 20 minute high period and then bottomed out.

Young atrocious all game. Overshoots longballs and underhits freekicks - that’s a talent in itself.

Pogba really is taking the piss. Awful yet again. Jesse somehow staying on ahead of Rom. I could go on - McTominay putcin some shift.
Young has to go. If he still starts him next season then I will lose all hope.

CallyRed

Embarrassing part of all of this is that Wolves didn't have to work hard to win it

Regalia

Looks like Mourinho was right about McTominay, ey? And a few other things too, with the way we have been playing recently.

Ban

Have to agree about the leaders part, but not sure how letting those three go would help us, unless we are prepared to spend a billion on a new team.
Well I wouldn't be surprised if they all left. Pogba looks like he doesn't want to be there anyway.

mattunited1978

doommonger
How anyone can watch ashley young play football and think he's startin material for manchester united is a f'in joke...he's absolute shite at everything, and we'v even got him on deadballs and captain, absolute f'in joke. we'v been very lucky he hasnt cost us more than he has..our luck ran out tonight. To be the worst united player on that pitch tonight takes some doing but he achieved it with ease. Wake the f**k up ole and get rid of the clown

freeurmind

weak willed
That's the - if only every chance was converted to a goal argument. No team scores them. Our creativity is non-existent and we don't especially have the type of coaching staff who could improve it. Top teams will consistently carve teams open.
Tbf they were relatively simple chances that should have been put away. Not an excuse for the rest of the performance but it's not the first time this season we've had simple chances to kill off games, not taken them and fallen apart when put under pressure.

Inigo Montoya

I would rather a season in the wilderness then to let that shower get their hands on the premier league.
Anyone who wants Liverpool to win the league should be banned in here .. except if you are a Liverpool fan that is

APJRed

Humiliated again by bloody Wolves who taught us a lesson in skill, organisation and let's face it desire. Pogba anonymous - in fact worse than anonymous, lost the ball too easily and too often. He just doesn't seem to be interested. What was Lingard doing? Completely ineffectual. Young is past it. Can't tackle and woeful passing. De Gea's distribution is frankly crap. Fred should have dealt with the ball but he shouldn't have been put in that position by De Gea's pass out into a danger area. We seem to completely bottle it when a goal is scored against us and appear to be bereft of ideas and talent.

This was a must win game to keep a top four finish alive. I think we've blown it and have only ourselves to blame. Very big challenge ahead for OGS. I hope it doesn't end in tears.

Kag

Team selection was good. We played well for large parts. Created (some) chances.

Fred, Young and De Gea actively decided to gift them the win. Shockingly bad individual errors.

lysglimt

Scout
Sorry, forgot to specify, other than the 20-30 minutes where we looked alright but our star striker couldn’t finish for shit from a few yards out again.
Just 60-70 minutes where we didn’t know how to defend or move or pass or shoot.
We made 2 bad mistakes defensively...how many saves did DDG make ? Lukaku should have scored, Lingard should have scored and McTominay should have scored - on a normal day at least one of those would have gone in.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm not slaughtering Ole.

I'm completely disaffected by the whole club.

I don't have any faith that this Technical Director will be up to much.

I don't have any faith that we will do the required business in the transfer market.

Once all the romance subsides, we will realise that Poch was probably the better option.

It'll be a painful end to the season and bar one small new manager burst, perhaps Jose was right all along.
Ah yeah, Pochettino never seriously competing for any trophy, getting knocked out of both domestic competitions very quickly and having a record of 1-1-4 in his last 6 games is definitely the right option.

Inigo Montoya

How anyone can watch ashley young play football and think he's startin material for manchester united is a f'in joke...he's absolute shite at everything, and we'v even got him on deadballs and captain, absolute f'in joke. we'v been very lucky he hasnt cost us more than he has..our luck ran out tonight. To be the worst united player on that pitch tonight takes some doing but he achieved it with ease. Wake the f**k up ole and get rid of the clown
To the Wan Bissaka thread :lol:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Ashley Young is done as a top level footballer. Experience doesn't matter if you're terrible.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We made 2 bad mistakes defensively...how many saves did DDG make ? Lukaku should have scored, Lingard should have scored and McTominay should have scored - on a normal day at least one of those would have gone in.
We were rubbish mate. I honestly don’t know what to say if you can’t see that.

lysglimt

Scout
:lol:

Wolves did feck all all game.
He probably thinks that it was Wolves' gameplan to give us 3 free headers :) Wolves were lucky - plain and simply. In fact this was a much better game from us than the Watford-one. But in that game we were lucky

lysglimt

Scout
We were rubbish mate. I honestly don’t know what to say if you can’t see that.
We were rubbish against Watford - but lucky. Today we would have won the game easily if we had taken our chances.

AJ10

Well can’t argue with any of that!

Poor tactics again after a good start. Just have to question why Young is still here and captain? What Dalot offers? Our best players were McT, Shaw and Smalling. Fred was good but looked way short of game time.

I don’t think I care about the Barca game. We’re differing nothing right now.
Barca will tear us to pieces but at least that's Barca, so you can make your piece with that but against Wolves ffs, yes the game should have been finished in the first 20 mins but the rest was just a joke.

There are so many average players at this club, IMO only De Gea/Rashford/Victor/Shaw/Pogba/Martial are starters and the rest are just average. Not sure how many top clubs have this many average players.

Toddler

We should not have lost since we had so many clear cut chances lads :). But still it was not a particularly good game, too many moments of sheer lack of quality in the team. Some of the players are just not good enough. Young, please retire.

Bob H from Manchester

We were the better side, we played using better tactics.
We had shear bad luck, that happens - we went down to 10 men but still kept fighting.
IMO Not Ole's fault in any way, our players put a good shift in. I didn't even have a problem with Lukaku, who was unlucky to not get a brace in the 1st half.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Wolves 0:2 Man Utd