PL L FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 April 2019

Devils11

Away to Wolves who have been a thorn in the side of all the clubs in the big 6,a man sent off early in the second half and we are still not entirely out of injury hell. Not a great result but, understandable.
Against a side with nothing to play for and most likely have their minds on the FA semi final at the weekend? The same wolves side that just lost 2-0 to Burnley 3 days ago? This is one match that Utd genuinely had a great chance to win but our big stars had gone missing again.

Pogba is trying his best to be sold. I mean as our best creative midfielder, how many attempt shots on goal or chances he had managed in the last 3 or 4 matches? Take away his penalty goals and his stats suddenly looks ordinary. Best attacking midfielder my a##.

Last edited by a moderator:

slored1

I believe we weren't as bad as everyone else think, it's just we missed everything we could possibly miss and Wolves scored from their only real opportunity in the second half. McTominay, Dalot, Lindelof were alright, the rest didn't look all that interested, especially Pogba who has been pathetic since Chelsea away. Top 4 isn't entirely gone, we just have to get at least 16 points until the end of the season.

Devils11

It won't be a disaster to finish outside top 4 beside the financial hit if it means the likes of Pogba, De Gea and Sanchez will asked to leave without CL football.

Take this opportunity to rebuild a new team, clear out the overpaid under performers and deadwoods. If we need to buy 6 or 8 players so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulRich

I reckon Lionel and company over in Barcelona are pissing themselves laughing right now......

tieunhilang

I reckon Lionel and company over in Barcelona are pissing themselves laughing right now......
Actually I was hoping for such a thing. Last time another European team laughed at us (PSG), we all know what happened.
I'd prefer Messi and his gang coming to Old Trafford being cocky. They wouldn't know what hit them, just like how Lukaku scored an early goal at PSG's homeground.

Revaulx

We started very well and had them on the ropes. Should've scored 3 goals in the first half but instead fecked up to give Wolves a life line. Conceding the goal jolted us but we came out in the second half and played very well and could've retaken the lead through McTominay. Even after the red card we looked the team more likely but it just wasn't our day. On another day we win comfortably.

Ole was spot on with the the way he set the team up and I have zero complaints. Wolves were very fortunate to come away with the win but that's football.
Thanks for this. I feel for people who are upset and frustrated by the result, but it’s good to retain some perspective.

I do find it worrying that once again our superstar players (Lukaku, Pogba, DeGea) failed to rise to the occasion. It’s particularly hard to criticise Dave after all he’s done for us for nearly a decade, but he deserves it for that second goal.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The game was lost when we slowed our tempo down after going up 1-0. We were putting them under intense pressure by playing with more aggression, but after we scored, our passing became more passive, and the players dropped deeper off the ball. It would have been fine had we kept possession, but we kept giving it away with Young aimlessly playing it forward. We talk about players like Henderson and Milner being limited footballers, but at least they can pass the ball; Young struggles to do that on top of being a poor footballer. Lingard, once again, struggled against a deep defensive line; he made a good impact against Watford a few days back when they started to push up. Here, however, Wolves sat deep, and Lingard didn't know what to do. In fact, I could say that about the whole team.

At the moment, we aren't as aggressive on the attack as we used to be. Our passes are way too slow and easily read. We hesitate way more when playing passes to the attacking players. Both Watford and Wolves have easily read our passes, and for the most part, both were comfortable defending against us. Whilst we did have moments against both teams, we never had any of the sustained pressure that we used to see in the past. Our players are not as willing to get into attacking positions, instead dropping back to see more of the ball. Our players on the ball are more hesitant to play passes forward as a result. We seem to take a couple of touches more before kicking off our attacks. I think one of the reasons is that other teams have figured out how we attack. Wolves and Watford got back into shape quickly and coaxed our deeper players to either enter attacking areas or pass the ball into them. Before, our players entered the gaps and had quick passes played to them; now, with the ball being unable to enter these areas quickly enough, our players don't know where to be afterwards. Ole and the coaching staff seem to be trying to change things (like having a #10 with Pogba playing deeper or a back 3), but the players still lack the confidence in themselves. I can elaborate more on our problems and potential solutions, but that'd be for another thread.

I find it interesting that teams are also starting to press Pogba much quicker now, and he's unable to adapt to it. Before, Pogba's movement meant that teams were unsure about whether to press him; now that teams are dropping more players back, there's always one player sticking close to Pogba. That's preventing him from settling on the ball and really turning it on. When he does settle on the ball, the opposition have their shape set, and we have too few players up ahead to really stretch them. This isn't a defence on Pogba as he should be better at receiving the ball under pressure and playing it in tight spaces. However, the direct passes that he would play would always be intercepted as there would be barely any attacking threat to stretch the opposition.

Overall, we still have work to do to get back to the top, that much is clear. In order to make the top 4, however, the players need to regain belief in themselves. Ole keeps telling the players to play quicker; he also changes the shape to enable them to do that; Ole's doing what he can during the match when things aren't going well. The players now have to step up and believe in Ole's football again.

INF-AMOS

So Ole goes and tells Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Fred, Sanchez, Lukaku, Mata, Young, Bailly that their time is up and they should look for other opportunities and then goes to Woodward and gives him the list.
No prizes for guessing who is getting fired first.
A little draconian for one swoop of the axe but doubt many could argue most of those players wouldn't get near most top clubs first team.

beergod

We're incredibly brittle mentally. Ole is going to have to sort it out if he wants to stick around for a long time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
After cooling off and reflecting, we certainly could have won that game.

Mctom had quite a few chances. Lukaku had the point blank rnage header and right footer just wide.
A couple of others had efforts.

If we score one of those and fred doesn't miscontrol a peeroller it's a different game.
That's football though

INF-AMOS

we've been saying this since fecking Moyes. At what point will we accept that its cheaper to keep most of them around than replace them as long as there's a vague narrative for Woodward to spin to kind-of support the decision?

The groundwork is in already for next season. New contracts and comments about not prioritising a CB.

Wake up.

What we've seen for the past few games,is our next 12months. Probably minus Pogba and DDG.
Can somebody tell Garry Neville then...
Quote. . Gary Neville: "There’s four or five players that he will want to keep that are out of contract that he needs to tie down. There are four or five players that he’ll need to bring in. And there are probably four or five players that he needs to get out. So if you think about that in terms of the job over the next two or three months, you’ve got probably 12 live situations: four players we need to sign on contracts, four players we need get into the club and four players we need to get out for the most money possible. And that needs a good wheeler dealer behind the scenes, someone who can sort of manage that situation. Manchester United haven’t been brilliant at that over the last few years. So that the big job, and it’s not his [Solskjaer’s] job, but it will determine the outcome of his success."

Hughes35

We need a big clear out and an even bigger investment in the summer.

Rojo, Valencia, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez, Bailly, Darmian and young have to go because they're simply not good enough in any capacity. Not even as squad players.

Herrera and De Gea should be allowed to leave because of the contract situations. De Gea doesn't want to be here and we can see that by his recent performances. Phil Jones is good enough but never fit so we should consider any offers if they come in. Fred, In my opinion should also be moved on.

Lingard is also not good enough but should maybe stay as a squad player because he's local and will be happy as a bit part player.

When you actually look at our squad and go through the players it is very worrying. I honestly think a MINIMUM of 8 players should leave this summer. I can only see us buying 3 or maybe 4 players though so that means some of the rubbish will be staying. It's going to be another rough few years.

We are now Liverpool of old.

extincti fugax hominum

Absolutely terrible night all round. We actually started well but lost all our momentum after 20 minutes.

What I worry about is we don’t look like a coached team at all. The difference in quality of play between two teams was clear as day as it was the in the FA Cup game. It was the only doubt I had about Ole whether he is a good coach, good enough tactically, can he organise a defence etc. and while he brought positivity & belief to the place back again, he’s yet to prove himself in that respect. We played without fear & pressure and the players expressed themselves especially in attack since he came but to reach the top you need much more than that.

We have to wake the feck up ASAP or we’ll throw all the effort we put in the last three months away. We put ourselves in a great position after an awful half season but it seems we’re starting to lose our momentum in the most important moment. We can’t finish out of top four especially when both Arsenal & Chelsea teams are that mediocre and Spurs are nothing special either.

Member 113277

Lessons learned

1 - Wolves are a good team - especially at home - it's no disgrace to lose there, but we shouldn't have (see point 2 & 3)

2 - We miss too many chances - could have been 3-0 up in the first half hour and put the match to bed

3 - De Gea has got to stop feeding the ball into dangerous positions (to Fred) that's the second time that ball has resulted in a soft goal (last time it was Pereira) - the pitch was slippery last night and it wasn't a good percentage pass

4 - An experienced pro and captain should not let himself get sent off for two yellows in rapid succession - it put a lot of pressure on the 9 remaining outfielders

ants7

Hate to see our supposedly star players being invisible in a game where they should be the ones who grind us a result.

Happy for McTominay and I thought Fred, apart from his one mistake, had one of his better performances.

Also, we must learn to take are chances.

Massive summer ahead. Hopefully Ed will deliver.

OohAahMartial

Football is also a psychological game. The feel good bounce after replacing the Miserable One ended when we got our first defeat. That brought back the same old mindset, happiness and confidence dipped, as did form, defeat after defeat and getting knocked out of the FA Cup and thus our only realistic chance of silverware, setting us back to where we were. Some players are weaker mentally than others l, looking at you Pogba, and due to the team being built around him, that spreads like a virus. Talent is not enough to have a team built around you, mentality and consistency is also very important. I don't see any progress in Pogba in these areas.

He's not the only one to get uptight, down or nervous, Martial, Fred, Smalling, Lindelof, Young and Lukaku to name a few are also very unstable. We need a team of winners and that means replacing some or all of these with mentally strong and consistent players, vital if we are to win the league.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Rojo, Valencia, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez, Bailly, Darmian and young have to go because they're simply not good enough in any capacity. Not even as squad players.

Herrera and De Gea should be allowed to leave because of the contract situations. De Gea doesn't want to be here and we can see that by his recent performances. Phil Jones is good enough but never fit so we should consider any offers if they come in. Fred, In my opinion should also be moved on.

Lingard is also not good enough but should maybe stay as a squad player because he's local and will be happy as a bit part player.

When you actually look at our squad and go through the players it is very worrying. I honestly think a MINIMUM of 8 players should leave this summer. I can only see us buying 3 or maybe 4 players though so that means some of the rubbish will be staying. It's going to be another rough few years.

Yes we are now Liverpool of old. It is alright say he can go and someone else can go. They need replacing and It will cost us hundreds, not a couple of million to put this right. The old bring the kids in. We might strike it lucky, but if recent history is proof we won't. Rashford is the only decent one to come through. Lingard as you say is here because he is local, Young is here as he's a great lad, what the hell does that mean? We are a mess and it will be years before it is right and this isn't being knee jerk. It is the truth and some don't want to see it.
So I am sorry you are all are going to need a lot of patience. I just worry for Ole's sake, that yes he is a hero to us, but to young players now he is an inexperienced manager. That is all they will see. Most were not born when he was doing great things.
So it might be that we get young players who will be glad to be playing, which is a good thing, but it depends if they are top class or the money grabbers who we will need to pay over the odds to get them to come.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Since when? We both suck in center midfield. Their centerbacks are worlds better than ours. Eriksen is basically equal to Pogba. We both suck at right back. We have a better goal keeper. They have better attackers (and more developed).

What could Pochettino have done with our squad? Not sure, but he certainly wouldn't have 15 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses in all competitions during that time. Ole's literally had title winning form since he's taken charge. It was never going to be sustained. Just like our current bad run of 3 losses in our last 4 isn't going to stay this bad and Spurs' run of 1 win and 4 losses in their last 6 isn't going to remain.
Which is what I just said!

Eriksen by Spurs' fans own admission has been poor of late. No Spurs fan I've spoken to thinks their squad is better than ours

Jeffthered

Against a side with nothing to play for and most likely have their minds on the FA semi final at the weekend? The same wolves side that just lost 2-0 to Burnley 3 days ago? This is one match that Utd genuinely had a great chance to win but our big stars had gone missing again.

Pogba is trying his best to be sold. I mean as our best creative midfielder, how many attempt shots on goal or chances he had managed in the last 3 or 4 matches? Take away his penalty goals and his stats suddenly looks ordinary. Best attacking midfielder my a##.

Pogba is a creative player, within a team of pretty average players. He didn't play well..but he was one of our better players. At least when he gets the ball, he tries something. His style will always annoy some (who expect some amazing performances every time he takes the pitch...), but United should NEVER be about a single player.

We rely on him. And that is neither right, nor his fault. Look at the players around him. If his stats look ordinary (which is a nonsense of a statement...) then I would be interested in what you think of the other players.

We were embarrassingly poor at times last night, a very worrying performance because it highlights a brittle mindset amongst the squad.

john moran

Lessons learned

1 - Wolves are a good team - especially at home - it's no disgrace to lose there, but we shouldn't have (see point 2 & 3)

2 - We miss too many chances - could have been 3-0 up in the first half hour and put the match to bed

3 - De Gea has got to stop feeding the ball into dangerous positions (to Fred) that's the second time that ball has resulted in a soft goal (last time it was Pereira) - the pitch was slippery last night and it wasn't a good percentage pass

4 - An experienced pro and captain should not let himself get sent off for two yellows in rapid succession - it put a lot of pressure on the 9 remaining outfielders
Agreed

We also need to get contacts sorted out . Most people have listed Young , Smalling , Fred and the usual suspects for our defeat last night but I think that a goalkeeper with his head somewhere between Paris and Madrid and his body anywhere but where there was boots flying was the real culprit .

StrettyEnder07

Rojo, Darmian, Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Young, Valencia, Matic, Mata, Sanchez, Fred and Herrera if he is demanding 200k a week can all pack up and feck off.

Can't remember a squad with so much deadwood, at this moment in time I would prefer to bin off as much of that shite as we can and replace them with hungry youth products because all of the above have fallen back into their complacent ways under Jose, woeful last night livid.

I would happily promote Greenwood, Chong, Gomes, Garner, Tuanzebe next year if it means binning off half of the shite above, had enough now at the end of my f**king tether with constantly watching utter shite rob a living from us.

Pogba, good luck in Madrid if you go mate, if you perform like you have against Watford and Wolves, they will be running you out of the city!

Bestofthebest

I think we must be active in the next three windows, including January, in order to have a chance of getting players of the quality we need. The problem is that the money washing around nowadays means good players cost more, earn more and can usually pick who they want to play for.
Last night showed once again how lacking we are in so many areas to compete at the top level. This will be demonstrated time and again before the end of the season. Ole is also learning the ropes but the biggest problems is that too many players we rely on are either not good enough, past it, injury prone or looking for a better contract than we can offer.
If we are not successful in getting the right players in we are just going to hope we have a good bit of luck or a bit of inspiration from somewhere.
Last night gave the best and the worst of us in that for twenty minutes we were well on top but should have been three up and then one stupid mistake gave Wolves the equaliser and it all went downhill from there.

montpelier

OK, I get the general idea of the negative. And unfortunately I think it's only an exaggeration of what the situation is.

Missing early chances though, of a game that is not a gimmee win, never a good idea.

What I didn't quite understand was how we look very decent for 10 minutes & then completely awful for the next 10. Fragile confidence? We know we're a bit crap, really?

There is half a good team there, but you can't carry 4 or 5 that probably aren't international quality, let's say, and expect to do much.

Jeffthered

You know, and it is rather a worry, you may be right.

Our good players, all seem to be at a level below what is required. Look at players like Shaw. Lukaku. Martial. Lindgard. Lindeholf. Dalot.

How good are they? Would any of them get into, I mean starting XI, of any top sides in Europe?

Ibrahimorich

Has nothing todo with Ole's appointment. We have been shite since PSG. Its almost as if that game took everything out of the team. I think we have a massive problem with confidence which i do not understand. Also, fitness seems to be an issue which can be explained easier.
Don't think we were shite vs Arsenal. Could and probably should have won that. Just poor finishing and dodgy keeping cost us. We've been shite since that game though. Could argue poor finishing and dodgy keeping were a factor today too.

Cockney Phil

I kind of expected that result.

There are a lot of issues going down behind the scenes and this is about the third or fourth game we have played poorly under the new management. Defeats always reveal more than our victories. Some of the shine has gone from Ole’s project, there has been a break in the momentum and certain players are looking around for a new club, which is what modern footballers do. The Sanchez wage issue has obviously caused umbrage among certain players.

In games like that players like Lukaku are exposed for their true lack of quality and ineffectiveness. While players like Young are exposed while out of position or our usually reliable players make stupid moves like De Gea’s pass to Fred. Pogba was neither use nor ornament and not for the first time in the kind of game where we needed him to show. I don’t get why Jones wasn’t on for Young. Jesse is not a playmaker on the same level as Mata and in that kind of game his pace was lost making him next to useless. Shaw can be frustrating to watch at times. Martial came on too late to make a mark. Hard to find positives.

But Scott, who has received a lot of insults on social media dubbed McMayonnaise, stepped up and kept going and trying. A nice goal and would have had more but for the clumsy oaf up front. Fred tried hard after his mistake being caught on the ball, maybe with Ander or Matic beside him he could have resisted the later Wolves’ counters. Smalling kept battling and made mistakes because at times he was covering for others errors.

MoTM - Scott. Wooden spoon - Rom.

Raw

Don't think we were shite vs Arsenal. Could and probably should have won that. Just poor finishing and dodgy keeping cost us. We've been shite since that game though. Could argue poor finishing and dodgy keeping were a factor today too.
It shows we're capable of playing good, attacking football but there's something in the squad that's been lingering for far too long, causing us to completely lose the ability to play football. It's so infuriating.

Against Arsenal we created plenty of chances, but we missed them. Then when they went 2-0 up, we created absolutely nothing.

Against Wolves we created many chances, scored one and looked like we could score another 2, 3 or even 4. Once they equalised though, our squad turned into gutless cowards who can't figure out how to pass a ball. It happened so quickly, it was like a switch!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Is Lingard the worst player getting game time in the Prem.
Young should never ever wear the shirt again.
No, you yourself named somebody worse in your very next sentence :lol:

Can somebody tell Garry Neville then...
Quote. . Gary Neville: "There’s four or five players that he will want to keep that are out of contract that he needs to tie down. There are four or five players that he’ll need to bring in. And there are probably four or five players that he needs to get out. So if you think about that in terms of the job over the next two or three months, you’ve got probably 12 live situations: four players we need to sign on contracts, four players we need get into the club and four players we need to get out for the most money possible. And that needs a good wheeler dealer behind the scenes, someone who can sort of manage that situation. Manchester United haven’t been brilliant at that over the last few years. So that the big job, and it’s not his [Solskjaer’s] job, but it will determine the outcome of his success."
That's as succinct a summary as I've read, and I broadly agree. This summer is about moving on the very deadest of wood, getting in a few quality players and tying our better players down. We can put players up for sale but I don't see an eight in/eight out summer from us. Given how poorly the squad has been managed year after year it will take longer than a couple of windows to fix and will be the job of a proper DoF and a team of football men.

Needham

Which is what I just said!
Eriksen by Spurs' fans own admission has been poor of late. No Spurs fan I've spoken to thinks their squad is better than ours
Eriksen is a brilliant player and I'd much rather have him than Pogba. He's just in a dip of form. Then you've got Son, Dele-Alli, Kane etc. Spurs have a better core of players than we do, end of conference. Yours Spurs mates are propagandising so that we don't poach their treasures.

Chillosophy

That's as succinct a summary as I've read, and I broadly agree. This summer is about moving on the very deadest of wood, getting in a few quality players and tying our better players down.
I feel this should have been the strategy for the past few windows really, now a few poor players have signed new contracts instead and I doubt it's going to work if the club is using those renewals as a way of getting more money... Who would even want Ash for example?

DomesticTadpole

No, you yourself named somebody worse in your very next sentence :lol:

That's as succinct a summary as I've read, and I broadly agree. This summer is about moving on the very deadest of wood, getting in a few quality players and tying our better players down. We can put players up for sale but I don't see an eight in/eight out summer from us. Given how poorly the squad has been managed year after year it will take longer than a couple of windows to fix and will be the job of a proper DoF and a team of football men.
All the mismanagement comes from picking the wrong successor to SAF in the first place, the rebuilding was needed then, but we made two panic buys during Moyes time and it went wrong from there. Buying big name past it players to show we are still attractive, it couldn't have been the money on offer could it? Then yet another manager who seems to start well, then you just know what is coming and it did. We are on our fourth manager after SAF. I hope we get it right eventually.

vanderpants

The worst thing about last night was coming into work this morning and city and Liverpool fans laughing and saying you won’t win feck all under him and the club is in a mess, hard to argue back with them to be honest

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I feel this should have been the strategy for the past few windows really, now a few poor players have signed new contracts instead and I doubt it's going to work if the club is using those renewals as a way of getting more money... Who would even want Ash for example?
Indeed, all we can do is try. Put the players up for sale, engage in talks and make it clear to the players that they won't see regular football here and hope their professional pride kicks in.

All the mismanagement comes from picking the wrong successor to SAF in the first place, the rebuilding was needed then, but we made two panic buys during Moyes time and it went wrong from there. Buying big name past it players to show we are still attractive, it couldn't have been the money on offer could it? Then yet another manager who seems to start well, then you just know what is coming and it did. We are on our fourth manager after SAF. I hope we get it right eventually.
It does, which is why anyone thinking the squad will get sorted over one or two windows is in fantasy land (not that anyone here has said that). The challenge will be getting rid of the players with no future here while keeping those who do. Losing Herrera would be a poor start start as he isn't in the top ten players who should go first.

DomesticTadpole

Indeed, all we can do is try. Put the players up for sale, engage in talks and make it clear to the players that they won't see regular football here and hope their professional pride kicks in.

It does, which is why anyone thinking the squad will get sorted over one or two windows is in fantasy land (not that anyone here has said that). The challenge will be getting rid of the players with no future here while keeping those who do. Losing Herrera would be a poor start start as he isn't in the top ten players who should go first.
Any optimism I had has gone. I turned over to watch the end of the Barca game. Just watch us constantly foul Messi on the edge of the box. You can see it a mile off.

Camilo

Looking at those goals, Fred makes an arse of it - he needs to sharpen up - and DDG has a Phil Jones moment. On another day neither is a goal.

It's fine margins in the league - it's not like the days of yore when we used to actually win the thing. There are a dozen really good teams now, especially so at home.

Werder Herzog

I am worried. If we believe everything in the press we could lose this summer:

De Gea
Pogba
Herrera
Mata.

Then we have those expected to be sold or released:

Darmian
Rojo
Valencia
Bailly
Sanchez

We then have the following who are just not up to standard:

Fred
Young
Smalling
Jones
Matic

Thats 14 players. Now i am not saying all will go but there is a balancing act of epic proportions that needs undertaking, through sales, youth team promotions and then benching dross. We then have to makes strides in glaring areas such as CB, RB , RW and potentially a CF plus at least one central midfielder.

This is down to Woodward and mis management of funds and giving long contracts to players not fit to wear the shirt.

We are talking a minimum of Solksjaers 3 year tenure before we are anywhere near challenging the best again, Woodward has played a blinder in one sense knowing Ole wont upset the apple cart and the fans called for his appointment so he frees himself of blame.

If we don't get someone in to release Woodward of transfer duties then we could be talking a Liverpool or Arsenal style fall from grace.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Wolves 0:2 Man Utd