FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Yeovil Town 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 January 2015

imperi

Not a good performance, but we won. Though never really had the feeling that we'd lose here or even draw. So in the end, it's all fine and dandy as we are through.

Also it just is very difficuly playing these teams, who work their asses off. City and the Saints also really struggled against Ch'ship teams.

Boycott

tumescent shite for most of the game. Gap in quality showed when the Yeovil players were dead on their legs.

Di Maria injected pace and someone to carry the ball distances, whilst he didn't get the better of the defenders he was causing panic. Mata did fine without doing much either. Kept it simple when we got the breakthrough.

Smalling did well today. Other two were all over the place first half but grew as the game wore on.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Abysmal. We are setting new Manchester United standards in terrible football with each subsequent game.

Saved today by a moment of magic, which opened the game and allowed us to get another on the counter. Individual brilliance is our best hope this season as the "philisophy" has failed to kick on even 3 months after the 3 months it was supposed to kick on in.

Fingers crossed for another lower league team in the next round, hopefully at home this time.

sport2793

This match was about the first half for me. I thought the bad players were Rafael, Shaw, Fletcher, and McNair (to a lesser extent). These four players were sloppy and not up to United standard. Interesting that LVG subs the first 2 off and our football improves as I think that was more of a factor than the change in formation. I will say that Fletcher improved in the second half but is still not good enough to feature anymore for United.

izec

good win, lets move on. Nothing to see here, i dont think we should analyse too much into the performance. Fletcher and Blackett woeful though

DevilRed

Poor in the 3-5-2 as usual. Changed to 4-4-2 and it netted us two goals and a better foothold on the match all around.

When will LVG finally see the light? I feel like if he doesn't, it might cost him his job eventually.

A good result for us and an all important away victory! That and the fact that we are getting most of our players back healthy now. We finally have no excuses not to play a proper formation and hopefully show a little more pace in our attack.

Special mention to Chris Smalling who has gone from strength to strength since the error against citeh. He has not put a foot wrong in what has been an absolute shambles of a defence.

One of Falcao/RVP needs to be dropped so that Rooney can play upfront again.

TheGame

People are over-reacting. It wasn't a great performance but for the big clubs these are no win games, you win by miles, the opposition are shite, you scrape by, you should have won by more. As long as you get through to the next round, that is all that counts. Home draw next round please.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I wasn't able to watch the second half. How did di Maria do? And was the change from a 3-5-2 to the diamond 4-4-2 effective?
We looked like shit in both formations to be fair but atleast we're much more effective in the 442 as we've got two goals. ADM's simply done his job I'd say.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
One brilliant strike. One clinical finish. Generally controlled things... That'll do.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Not a fun way to spend 90 minutes and we lack pace and smarts on the ball once the spainish speaking lot are out of the team.

We really need Rojo back as he is the best passer of our defenders and Blind to help build in midfield.
Ander was in the side today, and goal aside was rubbish. Mata didn't cover himself in glory either.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Painful. Its hard to gauge whether it was because we were too top heavy with a wasted centre back on the pitch initially or whether it was enough and everyone shouldn't have kept fecking up easy passes.

Fletcher looked really poor and coupled with his other performances it really looks like his last season with us, Di Maria got some minutes and goal and Rooney was dreadful but I just hope that is fatigue from the Christmas period.

Raw

I wasn't able to watch the second half. How did di Maria do? And was the change from a 3-5-2 to the diamond 4-4-2 effective?
For his first game back from injury he was pretty decent, played as a striker for some reason though.

And yeah, the change from 352 to 442 was very noticeable. We could barely make a single chance with 352, while we still looked average with 442 it was heaps better than 352. And it was a 442 with Blackett and McNair as fullbacks too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Win is a win. Last half hour was good, basically when Di Maria came on. Herrera's goal was brilliant but he was a bit sloppy at times, though had moments of quality. Mata helped a lot too when he came on.

Thought McNair was awful. Blackett decent, Smalling average, Rafael and Shaw both really poor though they aren't wing backs, much better in a 4. Fletcher poor too. Wilson and Rooney were both okay, while Falcao was mostly quiet while having a few nice touches and glimpse of class.

No injuries though so you can't complain too much, along with valuable minutes and a goal for Di Maria. Should get the confidence back up for him.

nooshka

Positives

Di Maria's back and scores
Herrera's screamer
Ditched 3-5-2 at half time hopefully for good????
Into the draw for the fourth round

Negatives

Fletcher, Evans, Blackett, McNair (possibly Rafael) no longer/not good enough
Watching Falcao is painful at the moment, i really want him to succeed but it just looks like that injury has ruined him.
Passing was woeful (although the pitch did look shit)

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
We'll always struggle to control games with the set of defenders we have, especially with the woeful fletcher in front of them.

Every single one of them is shit on the ball. It becomes so bad to the extent that if one of them completes more than 2 passes they're talked about as if they are beckenbaur reincarnated.

stu_1992

Relieved we actually got through it, thought we were going to be condemned to a replay for sure. Definitely looked better when we went to a back 4, though I thought it was odd that Shaw and Rafael went off. Same with Falcao, at that time I definitely would have taken Wilson off rather than Falcao. Looked better with the addition of Mata and Di Maria. I stand by Rooney and Fletcher were shocking. Herrera was saved somewhat by the goal and the fact he actually looked like he could be bothered.

Red Comet

Yeovil players played out of their skin and pressed us really hard, forcing our side into mistakes. We got better as their players tire.

Herrera showed why Fellaini is preferred over him. He's not fully adapted to the physical and high-pressing nature of English football and was caught in possession a few times. However, he was great at link up play and would be a much better player for us next season once he adapts.

Di Maria showed how much pace we missed in the front line since we had the likes of Ronaldo hanging at the edge of the opposition defense line waiting for a counter attack.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Mata's introduction changed it the game for me, he didn't do a lot on the ball but he appeared to know what to do with it. Rooney and Herrera were poor and Fletcher was dreadful Shaw looked out of sorts and Rafa non existent.

Kostur

海尔的老板
We'll always struggle to control games with the set of defenders we have, especially with the woeful fletcher in front of them.

Every single one of them is shit on the ball. It becomes so bad to the extent that if one of them completes more than 2 passes they're talked about as if they are beckenbaur reincarnated.
Midfield trio of Rooney, Herrera and Fletcher should be playing fecking triangles between those guys, it's a League One team that's going to get relegated for feck's sake.

Not even our dire defenders are explanation to what we have witnessed today.

kundalini

Did ok. First half spent too much time competing for headers and pumping long balls, when we should have been keeping the ball on the ground. Rooney awful until his super late pass for Di Maria to score. Herrera had moments of class, including his goal, but also sloppy at times. Fletcher off the pace again. Poor McNair never seemed to recover from the clash of heads.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I'd like to see someone else take the free kicks instead of Rooney. For the last month they seem to have ended up in the exact same seat in the stand.

Red Comet

Really odd decision to sub Shaw and Rafael off though :houllier:
Might be just some fitness management from LvG, they have been injured for long periods and this match is to just get them some match fitness, much like Di Maria's 30 min.

siw2007

Terrible match to watch. Scrappy football and some really unconvincing performances. Smalling wasn't too bad, while Blackett and Evans did ok in the second half but McNair was a real weak link. Fletcher and Herrera were both careless in possession and ended up creating a more trouble for ourselves than Yeovil though fairplay to Herrera for the stunning goal. Wilson looked lively and tried hard to feed off little scraps while Falcao was invisible. Great to see Di Maria back as he looked lively and caused them many problems and scored a good goal.

At the end of the day, these games are never as simple as Multi-Millionaires vs Minnows so maybe it isn't a surprise that we didn't batter them but we will need a good performance to beat Southampton next week.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Defence again was awful. Smalling, McNair, Blackett and Shaw were all incapable of handling a bit of pressure. Flecther, Rooney and Herrera (except the goal) were poor. Wilson was the stand out player in a dire first half. Mata and Di Maria the best players in the second.

But were in the next round so all's well in the end.

Red Comet

I'd like to see someone else take the free kicks instead of Rooney. For the last month they seem to have ended up in the exact same seat in the stand.
Especially when we have the likes of Mata who is better at free kicks.

paulscholes18

Evans is 1 lucky man had moore scored that chance the abuse he would had got would be unreal.
Di Maria great goal line header and great finish.
McNair, Blackett, Evans and Fletcher need to up there game

I am unsure about Rooney in cm could pick up a few cards, should bring in Strootman

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
We netted two goals because of a random quality strike and a counter in the last minutes, not because of switching to a back 4. They got tired, so we got more time on the ball, that's why we looked slightly better. Still a very dire performance in the 2nd half, we created feck all against a poor opponent playing in two different formations. So no, it's not the 3-5-2, but three defenders passing balls to each other and then hoofing it under pressure isn't helping us.

ChaddyP

The team were finding it difficult to play out the back with the 352 shape. Not having one of Blind or Carrick made this difficult. Also playing Full backs instead of usual wingers made us less potent going forward as shaw and rafael are never gonna try and beat a man on the byline. We also lack height in midfield with fellani's absence. The switch in formation is definitely what we needed. It seems so obvious but yet LVG persists in using 3 at the back. It's so strange. Mata and di maria were very good for us when they came on. Di Maria proved why one needs pace in attack. something we have missed dearly. I'm going to ignore the first half as that was a utter rubbish and wasn't even football. Second half we looked much more organised and knew what we were gonna do. Better possession on the ball and more sense of purpose, no more hoofing. glad we finally finished the job off, I hope we persist with the diamond as its more exciting to watch and i'm thrilled di maria is back and looking good.

Ivor Ballokov

Absolutely no flow which isn't entirely shocking considering the amount of changes/unfit players we had out there. That being said, we very much underperformed, Rooney was played out of the game by Edwards, Herrera was pretty poor in general but it's obvious who was the weakest link and that was Darren Fletcher.

I don't know the state he's in physically but if he hopes to get anywhere near his best again he needs to be playing more than he will do here. If he's now at the stage where he can play more then get him out on loan for the rest of the season and see if he can get back to the player he was, because at the moment he's a liability.

khoazany

Relieved we actually got through it, thought we were going to be condemned to a replay for sure. Definitely looked better when we went to a back 4, though I thought it was odd that Shaw and Rafael went off. Same with Falcao, at that time I definitely would have taken Wilson off rather than Falcao. Looked better with the addition of Mata and Di Maria. I stand by Rooney and Fletcher were shocking. Herrera was saved somewhat by the goal and the fact he actually looked like he could be bothered.
Falcao was worse than Wilson when he's on the pitch although I wouldn't blame any of them with the lack of service.

Blackett was decent in the second half.I find it weird that Shaw was subbed though unless he's injured since he would be better in a back four.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Sexy football.

The game went as I expected just about. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for Yeovil, so they were always going to be playing out of their skins and making it as difficult as possible for us, but it could never last 90 minutes. We were never going to steamroll them from the off. But we won comfortably, and that's all that matters. Two really nice finishes, too.

I don't think we took into account the pitch, which was poor, as you'd expect for that level. The ball had no zip to it, and lots of bobbles, and it often stopped dead unexpectedly. We can't play our normal game (though it didn't stop us trying!) nor did we have the players to go direct. I cringed everytime our defenders passed it to De Gea. I was always expecting a Gary Neville & Paul Robinson situation, where it just floats over the goalkeepers kicking foot and into the bottom corner.

Decent win. We'll probably get City in the next round, and they will have zero injuries by then. CAN'T WAIT.

Tyrion

We were boring to watch and very ineffective. It seemed better in the 2nd half so fingers crossed 3 5 2 will be but a memory (it won't happen but still).

Credit to Yeovil, we were pretty awful.

Looked a lot better once we went with 4-4-2 though. We barely even got into the oppositions half with 3-5-2.

Really odd decision to sub Shaw and Rafael off though :houllier:
Exactly what I was thinking. We played our full backs as wing backs and then our centre backs as full backs. Tbf, our centre backs at times seem out of position regardless of where they play.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I should have continued my walk through the Hampshire countryside rather than being persuaded to seek out a television for that puddle of dishwater. The former was at least an energising and exhilarating activity.

3-5-2, 4 CBs, all we need now is 80 crosses.

We dodged one whopper of a banana skin i suppose; you certainly couldn't fault Yeovil for their effort and application.

Oh and why did Herrera get booked? I thought that was bloody harsh.

Devil may care

I thought young Wilson did well and it was good to see Di Maria have an impact, but other than that I am mystified at how high the ratings are for some of our players, the midfield trio were abysmal with their passing and first touch nearly all game.

LvG shoulders the bulk of the blame for me though, 3-5-2 without wingbacks and without CB's that are good on the ball and without a proper #6 was suicide, and if he wants to play possession based football he needs to return Rooney to his forward role as him and Herrera played like two #10's masquerading as #8's and that left the woeful Fletcher too isolated.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 403 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Yeovil win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Yeovil 0:3 Man Utd
  • 15% Yeovil 0:4 Man Utd