FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Yeovil Town 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 January 2015

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The same McNair who took a hard shot to the head early on and then was moved to right back?

I think we can cut the 19 year old, who's punching well above his weight this season, a lot of slack.
Does any this change the fact he was awful yesterday? It is Manchester United he is playing for. The first 3-4 balls forward he went to play he kicked directly against an opponent. It wasn't good enough and I'm sure the coaches will be telling him that. Sorry if you are offended but he had another nightmare game.

Lawman

Was McNair really that bad? I actually he did really well, and for the first time this season I've seen him be aggressive at the back.. I know it wasn't a perfect performance or anything close to that but he still made some excellent defensive headers, even after taking that bad knock to the head.
I know he's a kid but judging on the performance alone he was pretty awful. Looked void of confidence on the ball and was lucky not to get himself sent off for a handball that he somehow managed to make of his own accordance.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't mind the odd shit performance, where you're huffing and puffing but it feels like nothing is coming off. Quick sand. But we've been too shit for a while now and this almost topped it all. Glad we're through though.

Happy AdM is back, amongst others. 3-5-2 should be outlawed! Fletcher, is sadly past it. :(

4-4-2 diamond please, with only 2 of Rooney/RvP/Falcao starting.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I know he's a kid but judging on the performance alone he was pretty awful. Looked void of confidence on the ball and was lucky not to get himself sent off for a handball that he somehow managed to make of his own accordance.

Even if that handball was given that is in no way a red card.

rover

can anyone tell me what were the roles of rooney & herrera in the first half? and if there was any difference between them.

and what were the roles of rooney, mata, herrera during the 2nd, and their differences if any.

and how were these 3 players positioning themselves through out the whole game?

if you noticed the above, then you might know whywe didn't play good

Gannicus

Does any this change the fact he was awful yesterday? It is Manchester United he is playing for. The first 3-4 balls forward he went to play he kicked directly against an opponent. It wasn't good enough and I'm sure the coaches will be telling him that. Sorry if you are offended but he had another nightmare game.
I'm not offended, so we're good, but it seems ridiculous to judge McNair so harshly on a day when almost everyone had a bad day.

And yes, you do have to judge different players differently. I hope would join me in expecting vastly better performances from Wayne Rooney, who has 10 years of experience for club and country, who is on the cusp of breaking the club and country goal scoring record and who earns 300k per week, than Paddy McNair, who has started fewer than 10 matches for United and who is all of 19 years old, who was playing in his first FA Cup match against an opponent playing out of their skins, and who received a hard knock to the head early in the match and who was played out of position due to Rafael's injury.

You have to judge players by where you would reasonably expect them to be at a particular age and the circumstances of the day, not against world class standards.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I was a huge advocate of LvG's methods, before he came. I still am.
I don't ever expect our defence to be great.
I dont expect to see any fast players (or fast counter attacks) - so this doesnt worry me in the slightest.

However, I do expect us to be able to put 3-6 goals past Yeovil.
LvG teams normally pass very quickly - one touch passing which opens up defences and the ball is "passed" into the net.
The worrying thing is that I dont see any improvement in our attacking play.
I see players who are struggling with one-touch quick passing. They receive the ball. Wait 1-2 seconds, before making the pass.

In the final 3rd, we should be passing the ball without any delay - it should be almost instinctual. I'm not sure if this is down to a lack of intelligence or something else.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I McNair...and who received a hard knock to the head early in the match and who was played out of position due to Rafael's injury.
The knock on the head would definitely have shaken him up.
Try doing your (daily) job, after you have been bashed on your head...you will find it difficult to focus for the next hour so. You will keep checking your head for bleeding.
I know players like Terry Butcher would shrug off a major head bleed - but those types of players are exceptional.

Lawman

You have to judge players by where you would reasonably expect them to be at a particular age and the circumstances of the day, not against world class standards.[/QUOTE]

Gannicus I'm judging him as a kid playing for United vs Lower league opposition. And he had a mare as he has had before. I hope he learns from it, hey ho he's a kid I no that so yes he does obviously get a lot more slack than a seasoned pro. But that doesn't take away from the fact he was very poor.

Gannicus

You have to judge players by where you would reasonably expect them to be at a particular age and the circumstances of the day, not against world class standards.
Gannicus I'm judging him as a kid playing for United vs Lower league opposition. And he had a mare as he has had before. I hope he learns from it, hey ho he's a kid I no that so yes he does obviously get a lot more slack than a seasoned pro. But that doesn't take away from the fact he was very poor.[/QUOTE]

It's obviously of no interest to you that McNair had to have his head STAPLED after his collision.

Rather than belittling a very young United defender who suffered a serious head injury --which resulted in blood gushing out the back of his head and all over his face -- we should praise the boy for persevering.

Posts like yours above are very disturbing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was a huge advocate of LvG's methods, before he came. I still am.
I don't ever expect our defence to be great.
I dont expect to see any fast players (or fast counter attacks) - so this doesnt worry me in the slightest.

However, I do expect us to be able to put 3-6 goals past Yeovil.
LvG teams normally pass very quickly - one touch passing which opens up defences and the ball is "passed" into the net.
The worrying thing is that I dont see any improvement in our attacking play.
I see players who are struggling with one-touch quick passing. They receive the ball. Wait 1-2 seconds, before making the pass.

In the final 3rd, we should be passing the ball without any delay - it should be almost instinctual. I'm not sure if this is down to a lack of intelligence or something else.
Football doesn't quite work like that - especially in the FA Cup, and especially when you're away at a small ground. Look at Liverpool's result tonight, or City's result at the Etihad for further evidence of this.

If the person who makes the Queen's birthday cake every year was told to make her a cake, and you were also told make her a cake - I'd imagine you would put in a whole lot more effort and try your hardest to do a great job - because it's a once in a lifetime thing.

What I'm trying to say is, you should go on Great British Bake Off.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Football doesn't quite work like that - especially in the FA Cup, and especially when you're away at a small ground. Look at Liverpool's result tonight, or City's result at the Etihad for further evidence of this.

If the person who makes the Queen's birthday cake every year was told to make her a cake, and you were also told make her a cake - I'd imagine you would put in a whole lot more effort and try your hardest to do a great job - because it's a once in a lifetime thing.

Anderson could make a life out of that.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Terrible analogy, excellent point.

Lawman

It's obviously of no interest to you that McNair had to have his head STAPLED after his collision.

Rather than belittling a very young United defender who suffered a serious head injury --which resulted in blood gushing out the back of his head and all over his face -- we should praise the boy for persevering.

Posts like yours above are very disturbing.[/QUOTE]

Stop being a drama queen for feck sake. No head knock is good but it couldnt have been that bad as he managed to complete the game. He had a mare the fact you are making all these other excuses up is disturbing. I'm not belittling anybody, I stated an opinion McNair had a shocker we have all had them now stop being so touchy or are we not allowed to say anything but fecking nice things about our players?

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan

Stop being a drama queen for feck sake. No head knock is good but it couldnt have been that bad as he managed to complete the game. He had a mare the fact you are making all these other excuses up is disturbing. I'm not belittling anybody, I stated an opinion McNair had a shocker we have all had them now stop being so touchy or are we not allowed to say anything but fecking nice things about our players?[/QUOTE]

You're fecking miserable. Good grief. What the feck is wrong with you? Lighten up.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Gannicus I'm judging him as a kid playing for United vs Lower league opposition. And he had a mare as he has had before. I hope he learns from it, hey ho he's a kid I no that so yes he does obviously get a lot more slack than a seasoned pro. But that doesn't take away from the fact he was very poor.

Posts like yours above are very disturbing.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Nice to see some sanity in this thread.

Gannicus

Stop being a drama queen for feck sake. No head knock is good but it couldnt have been that bad as he managed to complete the game. He had a mare the fact you are making all these other excuses up is disturbing. I'm not belittling anybody, I stated an opinion McNair had a shocker we have all had them now stop being so touchy or are we not allowed to say anything but fecking nice things about our players?[/QUOTE]

The boy had to have his head stapled and the gushing of blood had to be stopped. We don't know if he suffered a concussion but it's very reasonable to believe he was in a great deal of pain.

I don't know about you, but the performance of most human beings suffers when they've suffered from a painful head injury. You may, however, be the lone exception. You are a man whom the rest of us can only dream of being.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Oh man, I'd be a disaster if I went on that program.
I'd probably serve something uncooked or burnt and end up on youtube as the worst cook to have ever been on the show. :eek:

I know what you mean though - Cup games can turn up unexpected results, as they are effectively a one-off knockout game.
The point still stands though - I did expect a lot more from LVG. Fluid passing and attacking. We are now in January, so he has had 4 months (since 1st Sept).

Lawman

I don't know about you, but the performance of most human beings suffers when they've suffered from a painful head injury. You may, however, be the lone exception. You are a man whom the rest of us can only dream of being.[/QUOTE]

Really? I'm sure I'm not, but this is obviously exhausted if we are getting to this retort. Let's move on our opinion on this matter is poles apart and we are not going to agree.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 403 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Yeovil win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Yeovil 0:3 Man Utd
  • 15% Yeovil 0:4 Man Utd