FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Yeovil Town 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 January 2015

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Great post.

Yeovil were always going to be right up for it, biggest game of their careers. We were average and nothing worse, professional in the end.

United vs Exeter 2004 springs to mind too, 0-0 at Old Trafford and 2-0 at Exeter's ground, and again, Ronaldo only scored the second goal right at the end. I'm satisfied with today's result, Yeovil were quite good at times.
I think people were expecting us to thrash them, we never do this to these teams.

Crashoutcassius

To be fair I sympathize with him on this one. Fractured cheekbone apparently, hardly something you can stop.
He's been injured for 50% of games since he came to united. Huge sample size. That is an absolute joke. It seems to stand to reason that fractured cheekbone can't be stopped but when you get as many injuries as him you just have to think the way he approaches the game is a big factor, and it hurts the team

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Was never going to be an easy game. Satisfied we're in the hat. LVG hopefully learnt something from this formation and line up.
Stunning goal by Herrera, glad di Maria put that 1 on 1 away after the last one he fluffed.

Convinced we'll get city away in the next round

Nathan

Very surprised at that performance for long periods we looked lackluster and got lucky with herreira's goal. Some of our play was utterly woeful and thankfully we won and into the next round

Sid234

The problem is that teams know that the easiest way to beat us at the moment is play a pressing game and target our the defenders when they have the ball.. It's what most teams have been when they face us.

LvG really needs to stop using the 3-5-2, its never going to work when the defenders don't have the confidence to play the 1st time passes and keep the ball moving.

They take too many touches and dally on the ball way too long, and end up going route 1 to the strikers..

markhrad

I think people were expecting us to thrash them, we never do this to these teams.
Because we usually play our reserves and youngsters.
It is troubling that our midfield could not dominate a team like Yeovil ( no disrespect intended ). We need midfielders that will take the ball from defenders, turn and take on our opponents and create something for our strikers. Our midfielders seem reluctant or lack the ability to take control of games. Chelsea, City and Arsenal midfielders do it ours do not.

RedRover

we were awful....

Fletcher is finished - if Gerrard is past it Fletcher is so far gone he should only play when we have no young players to step up - surely even Anderson wouldn't have been so slow and sloppy today - end of the year he should move into coaching or play at a Championship club for a year of two

3-5-2 - hopefully the last we see of it - as a result of this formation our football is slow and our CBs have far too much of the ball - this is an issue when our centre backs have the passing ability of a blind goat at times - inevitably and like we have all season we created problem after problem for ourselves - didn't help that Fletcher was often the player dropping back to pick up the ball

Rafael and Shaw - tell me they aren't injured again....in Rafael in particulars case we need to look at availability in the same light as ability - no point in having player we cant rely on

LVG - starting to get annoyed with him....time he saw what is going on - he should know his players by now

he keeps trying to do the same thing tactically and hopes the performance will be different - again we lineup with players who aren't great passers, a lack of pace and as a result we end of with the shaky possession, lack of attacking threat, Falcao getting no service - boring, predictable football and easy to defend against... no wonder we can't score in half an hour against 10 man Villa and we've had so many draws

I know we are a work in progress but he missed a big opportunity today to play some of our more technically gifted and pacey players like Januzaj and possibly some of the youth side - experience is only good when the experienced players are reliable

Carrick - Christ we are reliant on him - we need to find his successor as soon as possible

Herrera - great finish - looked rusty understandably otherwise

Mata - probably our best player - used the ball very well and picked the right pass

Di Maria - his pace gives us penetration we don't have otherwise - nice finish
To be honest I agree with a lot of that.

Van Gaal seems desperate to make 3-5-2 work at any cost. I hope this isn't just down to ego and not wanting to admit he as wrong.

It just isn't suited to the players we have. We're struggling for quality at centre half so why push a formation that requires three to play?

Fletcher is done, sadly. His legs were what made him a first team player and they've gone.

Rafael doesn't have enough consistent quality In his deliveries and looks like he could concede a free kick every time an opposition player is one on one.

Carrick was a huge miss and I don't see Rooney as being able to move back into midfield. He concedes possession to often. Much better off the striker.

Mata looked good just keeping the ball and Hererra may come good. Just needs to calm down a bit for me instead of bombing on and leaving holes.

Di Maria is vital for us going forward. Gives us a whole other dimension as we lack pace without him.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Thank God Yeovil Town didn't score a goal in that incredible chance they had and the ghosts of MKD were kept at bay. We couldn't find any sort of rhythm in the first 2/3 of the match and our passing was woeful. With the introduction of Mata we saw a slight improvement in our passing and we recycled possession in a better way. When Di Maria was brought on in the last 30 minutes and added some mobility we finally managed to control the game. But when you need Mata and Di Maria on the pitch to win Yeovil Town, i think that really says something about the players that started the game.

One thing that bothers me is that our CBs haven't improved on the ball at all. As soon as they see the ball approaching their first thought is to kick it as far away as they can. Another thing worth mentioning is that, either you play with a back three or a back four, you must have one CB who is urgent and aggressive enough to get in front of the attackers and intercept the first ball towards them. Especially when your midfield is rather "thin", like ours today and most of the time, and your CBs just drop deeper and deeper to defend, the only thing you can achieve is invite pressure into your box.

As for the midfield, it's sad to say it again and again but Fletcher can't play the holding midfielder role as good as Carrick or Blind. He can't offer good quality possession during our build up plays and he can't find those important forward passes to the right man and at the right time. He is also aware that it's easy for the opponents to get past him so he either stayed too deep which created a huge gap between him and the other two CMs or he waited for Rooney or Herrera to drop deeper for cover which of course slowed the tempo even more for us.

Rooney showed again that the only two reasons to utilize him in the midfield are his well timed runs from deep into the opposition box and his working rate. But when he's not having a good day all his weaknesses as a CM rise to the surface, most of all his lack of positional awareness. Numerous times today, in throw ins and other set pieces, Yeovil could easily get the ball to the player Rooney was supposed to mark and they managed to create some nervousness to our defenders and managed to stay in our third with enough players.

Rooney also can't do these little one twos or try some layoffs in his deeper role to help the team get past the opposition's pressing but we already know that. Herrera was supposed to do that today and he didn't do a very good job. The incredible goal he scored surely made things a lot easier for us but his main duty today was to connect the lines and get the ball forwards. And he must improve because we signed him for that reason exactly.

Rafael and Shaw looked rusty. Furthermore, Rafael looked a bit disoriented like he didn't know where he was supposed to be in his wing back role. Shaw was slightly better. I noticed that he didn't attempt to cross the ball with his good foot a lot, instead he preferred to cut inside and search for a short pass towards Herrera or Fletcher with the two forwards and Rooney making runs into the box. I hope this is something that we have worked in training and not just Shaw not knowing what to do with the ball.

Happy because Herrera and Di Maria returned from injury and scored. Mata is still in good form and more players are becoming available for selection again. That's good news for the important game against Southampton next week.

DomesticTadpole

Because we usually play our reserves and youngsters.
It is troubling that our midfield could not dominate a team like Yeovil ( no disrespect intended ). We need midfielders that will take the ball from defenders, turn and take on our opponents and create something for our strikers. Our midfielders seem reluctant or lack the ability to take control of games. Chelsea, City and Arsenal midfielders do it ours do not.
We do, Blind/Carrick, who then get it to the other midfielders further forward. Unfortunately neither played today and Fletcher passes it backwards all the time and until the 2nd half Rooney and Herrera didn't know whether to stick or twist.

Roopea

We really could do with Blind coming back sharpish, any ideas when he is likely to return?

DomesticTadpole

To be honest I agree with a lot of that.

Van Gaal seems desperate to make 3-5-2 work at any cost. I hope this isn't just down to ego and not wanting to admit he as wrong.

It just isn't suited to the players we have. We're struggling for quality at centre half so why push a formation that requires three to play?

Fletcher is done, sadly. His legs were what made him a first team player and they've gone.

Rafael doesn't have enough consistent quality In his deliveries and looks like he could concede a free kick every time an opposition player is one on one.

Carrick was a huge miss and I don't see Rooney as being able to move back into midfield. He concedes possession to often. Much better off the striker.

Mata looked good just keeping the ball and Hererra may come good. Just needs to calm down a bit for me instead of bombing on and leaving holes.

Di Maria is vital for us going forward. Gives us a whole other dimension as we lack pace without him.
That's where you need a really good holding midfielder to enable him to do that.

Roopea

Mid January, I expect us not to see him until the end of the month though if you take into account Van Gaals way of bringing players back.
Feels like a lifetime since we last saw him play. We really miss his composure, only Carrick has more.

gasmanc

Banned
Think we will kick on once he comes back in, we've Di Maria back now which should provide that pace we need in attack.
I'm hoping that Blinds return will release Carrick further forward to link to the forwards, we have no other player with his vision.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Much better in the 2nd half. That diamond is the way to go I think but we won. That's all that matters at this stage. Even under Fergie we played shite at times in these rounds with these kinds of opposition. It happens. I thought Yeovil gave quite a good account of themselves. They were immensely chuffed to be playing ManUtd, and it obviously gave them a huge lift. It can be difficult to play against that mindset sometimes. In any case, better after change of formation and professional in the end. But - we need to improve - as always.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The problem is that teams know that the easiest way to beat us at the moment is play a pressing game and target our the defenders when they have the ball.. It's what most teams have been when they face us.

LvG really needs to stop using the 3-5-2, its never going to work when the defenders don't have the confidence to play the 1st time passes and keep the ball moving.

They take too many touches and dally on the ball way too long, and end up going route 1 to the strikers..
It can be painful to watch us against the high press without Carrick or Blind.

WyoManU

I could just about copy and paste so many prior post match assessments into this one yet again. Even against such lower opposition we can be pressed and made to look pedestrian. Prior to the snapshot half chance goal from Herrera I can't think of a single good effort on target. Simply nowhere near good enough.

Shaw and Rafael both were average. At least Rafael got forward. Our other defenders were alright, but didn't make the vaunted 3-5-2 philosophy system work.

Fletcher...*facepalm* Gotta be done at the end of the season. Well past it.

Herrera was rusty. Needs more game time. At least he took his half chance.

Rooney was only average. Certainly didn't stand out against their midfielders.

Our strikers looked stranded again. Wilson has desire but can't seem to make much of a difference in most situations. Falcao still looks well off it. His chance at staying is fading fast for me. I think his injury took more out of him than anyone wants to admit. I hope LVG sees this and does not throw money to purchase this guy on current form. The ball simply will not stick to his foot no matter how hard he tries.

markhrad

I agree that Blind and Carrick were sorely missed today and it is no coincidence that RVP's return to form coincided with Carrick playing again. Blind and Carrick, however, play are holding midfield role I still think we lack a Silva/ Carzola/ Fabregas type creative midfielder. Someone who will face defensive midfielders and cause havoc.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I know Fletcher was awful, but playing him in a system where he has no midfield support and is constantly under pressure was always going to be a disaster. Why try and do something that you know for a fact before the game isn't going to work? When that happens the blame has to shift pretty much entirely from the player to the manager.

The problem with Van Gaal and his "players need to do as I tell them" philosophy is that every single game it requires certain players to do things that they either aren't capable of, or which just aren't humanely possible. You can't be telling me he watches Flether in training and on the pitch and thinks "yeah, he can run our midfield"...yet twice in recent weeks he's expected him to. There's a point at which stubborness just becomes complete idiocy.

I expected Yoevil to make it difficult. The problem is that we played like shite regardless of that. I don't remember a United team being so consistently disjointed and awful to watch, and that includes last season. Even when we win games we have an amazing ability to constantly look much worse at football than the team we're beating.

Ibi Dreams

I expected Yoevil to make it difficult. The problem is that we played like shite regardless of that. I don't remember a United team being so consistently disjointed and awful to watch, and that includes last season. Even when we win games we have an amazing ability to constantly look much worse at football than the team we're beating.
Yeah, the issue for me is that it's not a one off. It's not a rarity to play this badly for us, we can't put it down to a plucky little lower league team standing up to us because it was similar to the last month or so of performances. I wanted to think we would play better against a weak team but if anything we were actually worse than we have been recently.

It's weird, because I was sure we were making progress earlier on, but now it seems like we're going backwards. I just really want to see Blind, Herrera and Di Maria play in a midfield again so that I can enjoy our football

RedRover

That's where you need a really good holding midfielder to enable him to do that.
Or he needs to adapt to the system and have a bit more discipline. Fellaini was rightly criticised for doing it last year but seems to have tempered it a bit.

He seems a bit naive. He's very keen to get forward and that's fine when we're on top. He needs to adapt and I hope he will.

Gannicus

Fletcher and McNair were awful today
The same McNair who took a hard shot to the head early on and then was moved to right back?

I think we can cut the 19 year old, who's punching well above his weight this season, a lot of slack.

Acole9

Outstanding
Before the game I was gutted that it was on Bt Sport and I'd be missing it. After seeing the commentary from the game on Match Of The Day, I think I would've had it on mute possibly as Michael Owen's voice is so dull and Ian Darke really should stick to the boxing. Anyway on with what I have seen of the game, Yeovil had a couple of opportunities which were fortunately spurned but their fans can be very proud of their teams efforts. Some of our passing looked off which has become a bit of a theme in some games recently, at times we was closed down a bit too easily for my liking during the match but we're into the next round and hopefully we'll get a good draw.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Herrera is a proper midfielder

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Poor in the 3-5-2 as usual. Changed to 4-4-2 and it netted us two goals and a better foothold on the match all around.

When will LVG finally see the light? I feel like if he doesn't, it might cost him his job eventually.

A good result for us and an all important away victory! That and the fact that we are getting most of our players back healthy now. We finally have no excuses not to play a proper formation and hopefully show a little more pace in our attack.

Special mention to Chris Smalling who has gone from strength to strength since the error against citeh. He has not put a foot wrong in what has been an absolute shambles of a defence.

One of Falcao/RVP needs to be dropped so that Rooney can play upfront again.
It wasnt so long ago that I was thinking he was awful, he has really stepped up recently and looks composed most of the time.

JackXX

We weren't good until Mata and Di Maria got into the game. Think they played very well when they came on and along with the two goals were the positives to take out of the game.

Quite a few negatives. I don't want to kick a dead donkey but Fletcher was gone 2 years ago. Defenders not convincing again. Can't remember the last time I saw a United defender dominate a game. Thought playing against a striker like Moore (who's lucky to even play for Yeovil IMO) our defenders would have an opportunity to do that and build some confidence but they still looked shaky.

Not sure 3-5-2 helped us today either. A lot of the time when we play it it feels like we are down to ten men. We just never seem to be able to find a free man and when we do it's usually a defender or wingback who struggle to do much with it.

Sid234

Was McNair really that bad? I actually he did really well, and for the first time this season I've seen him be aggressive at the back.. I know it wasn't a perfect performance or anything close to that but he still made some excellent defensive headers, even after taking that bad knock to the head.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 403 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Yeovil win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Yeovil 0:3 Man Utd
  • 15% Yeovil 0:4 Man Utd