FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Yeovil Town 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 January 2015

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
rubbish game, not a good performance, probably sinking to their level.

However, that's the FA cup, we've won away, and on we go.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
McNair earned some kudos for finishing the match in a different position having lost a pint of blood and undoubtedly suffering a massive headache, even if his performance wasn't exceptional.

Ixion

Awful performance. Rafael, Fletcher, McNair especially. Rafa is just coming back and McNair is young and took a bad knock so fair enough but its not a surprise we played a little better once Fletcher went off. The sooner Blind comes back so we can play him when Carrick isn't there the better.

NessunDorma

That's why I tend to hate the F.A. Cup 3rd round. I don't know if it's the time of year, the hectic fixture schedule, the weather, or a combination of all of them, but the games always seem to be scrappy, disjointed and frankly depressing.

Maroo

Exactly what I was thinking. We played our full backs as wing backs and then our centre backs as full backs. Tbf, our centre backs at times seem out of position regardless of where they play.
Think it was for two reasons - 1) rafa being absolute bullshit and shaw still being eased back 2) to ensure we still had height in the form of Blackett and McNair to deal with their long balls

Sweet Square

Awful performance. Rafael, Fletcher, McNair especially. Rafa is just coming back and McNair is young and took a bad knock so fair enough but its not a surprise we played a little better once Fletcher went off. The sooner Blind comes back so we can play him when Carrick isn't there the better.
Fletcher never went off.

Red Comet

After reading through so many comments I think most people should just calm the feck down. The performance wasn't a classic, but playing against minnows is always tricky. For them, it's their cup final, a chance to show that they can play at higher levels. They are not expected to win and have nothing to lose.

Additionally, we played some tumescent stuff under SAF in FA cup matches vs minnows. Does anyone here remember the shitefest vs Crawley and Burton?

Robbie Boy

Yeovil were always going to raise their game for this one and give if their all. We predictably played utter dross and couldn't find a way through. Once 3-5-2 died, we looked slightly better. Very unconvincing stuff but got the job done, I guess.

RedRevongge

Completely different side with 442 Diamond and we need to keep Di Maria, Herrera and Mata fit and in the team

SammyUnited_83

I actually thought they deserved a replay. We just couldn't create and failed to break down a poor side.

one340

Don't agree with the 3-5-2 formation and starting Rafa and Shaw fresh from injury. That formation's physical demands for the wing positions are the damn high and for players just returning from injury, even if it is against Yeovil. Thank god Di Maria is back for us though we're going to need him to secure that 3rd spot in the league. We should start thinking of other formations now that we have some players back from injury like a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 and stop that 3-5-2. It worked for a while but clearly other teams have figured how to at least stop us from scoring when that formation is used. At least we're on the next round

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
We won and very little danger - hopefully the Shaw/Rafael subtitutions were planned just to give them more minutes in tlhe first half- then please ditch the 352 - defence is too far away from the front and the key position in the 352 is where Fletcher played hence all the forced long balls from the defenders. With Carrick or Blind you can play it but Fletcher is too nervous to play it. Can't blame the strikers as they had very little to work with. On to the next match and 4 at the back pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Fletcher never went off.
:lol:

A scapegoat can't catch a break

LARulz

Rafael and Shaw picked up injuries I think he just said

Walters_19_MuFc

We were far from great today, but we certainly looked better when we changed to four at the back. A lot more options off the ball, and Yeovil's striker couldn't press both of our split centre backs, thus giving them more time on the ball.

Cup ties are very rarely easy, especially against the lower league teams, and we were certainly in one today, but the main thing is that we're through to the next round.

marlowe78

Respect to Yeovil and their fans, they would've certainly deserved something from today.

We gave a shit performance that was redeemed by some individual brilliance (and frankly, our massive transfer budget) against a side that we should've played off the park. LVG needs to admit straight away that the 352 is a failure and use a 4-man backfield where our players are more comfortable. It's no coincidence at all that we've started games with this setup and looked far more comfortable with a 4-man backline every time we've switched. Shaw and Rafael are both more suited to playing alongside a winger and take part in overlapping. Under the wingback setup, they are relied on to play 1 v. 1 against defenders right along the touchline and usually any play going through these areas is stopped in its tracks.

Rooney had a shit game, but we saw at the end why he needs to be left on. There is usually a great play sitting inside of him and the counterattack with Di Maria was reminiscent of the second goal against Arsenal. Di Maria and Mata gave us some needed movement in the midfield and they capitalized on Yeovil tiring late in the game. Falcao was a huge disappointment, creating nothing in the first half. Yes, he was grabbed and grappled a lot but he really showed no bottle at all. Wilson showed more, though I was far from impressed.

Fletcher simply cannot play for us anymore. He has no ball retention under pressure at all and is shirking his responsibilities in the middle area. He seems reluctant to play any kind of forward ball and that back pass to De Gea when he was under no pressure at all was a total insult to what De Gea has been shouldering for us this season. Herrera, besides a great goal, gave us what little acceleration we had in the midfield before Di Maria came on.

We all knew Evans would make some kind of dumb error and he nearly cost us with that backwards header that is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen done on a football pitch. He also turtled again on a 1 v. 1 challenge in the box that could've left our goal exposed. I'm sure that if we didn't have so many injuries Evans wouldn't/shouldn't get a moment of game time.

Having said that, I think our defending was pretty good. McNair showed heart and Blackett I thought made some good runs on the left when he switched to fullback. Not sure about the arms in the air, though.

Overall, we just did our business and got through. Southampton might be an edgy match after this, however.

Irrational.

LVG post match:

- Rafa and Shaw were injured
- We played better with four in midfield
- Didn't think the individual quality was there
- Glad that the festive period is over, and we're making ground on Chelsea.

Infra-red

That's why I tend to hate the F.A. Cup 3rd round. I don't know if it's the time of year, the hectic fixture schedule, the weather, or a combination of all of them, but the games always seem to be scrappy, disjointed and frankly depressing.
Generally agree. This was of our own doing today though; a back 3 and a holding midfielder none of whom can pass a ball to save their lives, combined with a philosophy built around playing out from the back. As soon as Yeovil pressed any of those 4 players it was under/over hit passes sideways or backwards to De Gea, or aimless hoofs to nobody, many of which ended up in the stands.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
LVG post match:

- Rafa and Shaw were injured
- We played better with four in midfield
- Didn't think the individual quality was there
- Glad that the festive period is over, and we're making ground on Chelsea.
He really said that? 1 point?

Red Stone

Fletcher instead of Carrick made a massive difference. He was just shite and offered no calmness or intelligence in midfield. We need a clever and composed passer like Blind or Carrick to keep us ticking. Herrera, for all his passing ability, doesn't have the patience to just recycle possession until something opens up in the way Carrick and Blind can.

There was no threat from wide positions either, and none of our strikers are capable of creating chances for themselves through the middle. That changed as soon as we got Mata and Di Maria on.

Awful performance, but I can understand parts of why we didn't function today. Scary that we're so reliant on certain players though.

Stretford Red1978

Hilarious match thread. Apparently United are a pub team who don't deserve to be 3rd in the league.
A hell of a lot of posters have no memories of cup performances from the Fergie years.

Main problem in the first half was Shaw and Rafael. Just not fit enough for their roles. But also the midfielders were not sharp enough.

Nobody played well. But they won. Great to have ADM back.

Will need to be far better against Southampton. That game is a big concern if Shaw and Rafael are not fit enough to play wingback. Big question for LVG.
And that is the reason why I don't read the match thread! Agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying there!

Sid234

Few things I noticed in the 1st half:
1.) Blackett takes way too long on the ball, gives the opposition sufficient time to cover short passing options and start closing him down
2.) Fletcher has a terrible first touch, and that is his main problem at the moment as it allows him to be closed down as he either tries to get the ball out of his feet or knocks it too far ahead of his reach.
3.) Rooney's passing was woeful today, one of the main reasons we struggled was how dismal his passing was.
4.) Herrera's positioning was terrible too, he kept charging ahead expecting the defenders to bring the ball out of defense.

The defenders clearly lack the confidence to bring the ball out from the back, and that's causing most of the problem when we play 3 at the back, as we need to start the attacks from the back, instead of punting it forward hoping for a lucky break

Get In Scholesy

Watched it on a horrible feed, and that performance seemed to match it. It was a bit painful to watch as every time if froze, it unfroze to a bad pass or lack of control from our players. The game just seemed to drag on. Even froze on me during Di Maria's one on one :(

All that aside, there were many shortcomings in this game but in the bigger picture we are into the 4th round and thats all we wanted coming into this game. Oh, and a clean sheet is another positive we can take away from this game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I should have continued my walk through the Hampshire countryside rather than being persuaded to seek out a television for that puddle of dishwater. The former was at least an energising and exhilarating activity.

3-5-2, 4 CBs, all we need now is 80 crosses.

We dodged one whopper of a banana skin i suppose; you certainly couldn't fault Yeovil for their effort and application.

Oh and why did Herrera get booked? I thought that was bloody harsh.
I bet Herrera was thinking when he scored, Don't take my shirt off or I will get booked. He might as well and made me a happy woman.

DomesticTadpole

Few things I noticed in the 1st half:
1.) Blackett takes way too long on the ball, gives the opposition sufficient time to cover short passing options and start closing him down
2.) Fletcher has a terrible first touch, and that is his main problem at the moment as it allows him to be closed down as he either tries to get the ball out of his feet or knocks it too far ahead of his reach.
3.) Rooney's passing was woeful today, one of the main reasons we struggled was how dismal his passing was.
4.) Herrera's positioning was terrible too, he kept charging ahead expecting the defenders to bring the ball out of defense.

The defenders clearly lack the confidence to bring the ball out from the back, and that's causing most of the problem when we play 3 at the back, as we need to start the attacks from the back, instead of punting it forward hoping for a lucky break
If we had one decent defender, they might actually do that.

Sid234

I think it's not fair to blame just the defenders for the poor performance in the 1st half.. Herrera, Fletcher and Rooney were offering nothing as short passing options, and they just dallied on the ball hoping for an easier pass before being forced to either pass in back to DDG or punt in forward towards Falcao.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So my 2 hour car ride was more fun than this game? Same old story then? Tactic is still poor, makes for dire football but it was a win so all is forgiven?

Sid234

If we had one decent defender, they might actually do that.
I don't think the problem is with their lack of ability on the ball and has more to do with a lack of confidence, McNair and Blackett seemed very cautious and reluctant to get forward with the ball. I wouldn't blame considering the amount of scrutiny our defense has come under this season. Herrera should have also been dropping deep to take the ball and push forward

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Few games back, I was laughed off in here when I said LVG will keep using 352 whenever he can until it's a success because of his ego. I still believe that.

buckooo1978

we were awful....

Fletcher is finished - if Gerrard is past it Fletcher is so far gone he should only play when we have no young players to step up - surely even Anderson wouldn't have been so slow and sloppy today - end of the year he should move into coaching or play at a Championship club for a year of two

3-5-2 - hopefully the last we see of it - as a result of this formation our football is slow and our CBs have far too much of the ball - this is an issue when our centre backs have the passing ability of a blind goat at times - inevitably and like we have all season we created problem after problem for ourselves - didn't help that Fletcher was often the player dropping back to pick up the ball

Rafael and Shaw - tell me they aren't injured again....in Rafael in particulars case we need to look at availability in the same light as ability - no point in having player we cant rely on

LVG - starting to get annoyed with him....time he saw what is going on - he should know his players by now

he keeps trying to do the same thing tactically and hopes the performance will be different - again we lineup with players who aren't great passers, a lack of pace and as a result we end of with the shaky possession, lack of attacking threat, Falcao getting no service - boring, predictable football and easy to defend against... no wonder we can't score in half an hour against 10 man Villa and we've had so many draws

I know we are a work in progress but he missed a big opportunity today to play some of our more technically gifted and pacey players like Januzaj and possibly some of the youth side - experience is only good when the experienced players are reliable

Carrick - Christ we are reliant on him - we need to find his successor as soon as possible

Herrera - great finish - looked rusty understandably otherwise

Mata - probably our best player - used the ball very well and picked the right pass

Di Maria - his pace gives us penetration we don't have otherwise - nice finish

DomesticTadpole

I don't think the problem is with their lack of ability on the ball and has more to do with a lack of confidence, McNair and Blackett seemed very cautious and reluctant to get forward with the ball. I wouldn't blame considering the amount of scrutiny our defense has come under this season. Herrera should have also been dropping deep to take the ball and push forward
We missed Carrick/Blind to recyle the ball from the defence, instead we had Fletcher who just turned round and passed it straight back to them, so they pass it back to DDG under pressure who hoofs it up field or into touch. I was glad Herrera scored that goal, because if it had been Fletcher in that position, it would have been back to our goalie quicker than you can say Jack Robinson.

DomesticTadpole

we were awful....

Fletcher is finished - if Gerrard is past it Fletcher is so far gone he should only play when we have no young players to step up - surely even Anderson wouldn't have been so slow and sloppy today - end of the year he should move into coaching or play at a Championship club for a year of two

3-5-2 - hopefully the last we see of it - as a result of this formation our football is slow and our CBs have far too much of the ball - this is an issue when our centre backs have the passing ability of a blind goat at times - inevitably and like we have all season we created problem after problem for ourselves - didn't help that Fletcher was often the player dropping back to pick up the ball

Rafael and Shaw - tell me they aren't injured again....in Rafael in particulars case we need to look at availability in the same light as ability - no point in having player we cant rely on

LVG - starting to get annoyed with him....time he saw what is going on - he should know his players by now

he keeps trying to do the same thing tactically and hopes the performance will be different - again we lineup with players who aren't great passers, a lack of pace and as a result we end of with the shaky possession, lack of attacking threat, Falcao getting no service - boring, predictable football and easy to defend against... no wonder we can't score in half an hour against 10 man Villa and we've had so many draws

I know we are a work in progress but he missed a big opportunity today to play some of our more technically gifted and pacey players like Januzaj and possibly some of the youth side - experience is only good when the experienced players are reliable

Carrick - Christ we are reliant on him - we need to find his successor as soon as possible

Herrera - great finish - looked rusty understandably otherwise

Mata - probably our best player - used the ball very well and picked the right pass

Di Maria - his pace gives us penetration we don't have otherwise - nice finish
I think the problem with some of the side today was either being rusty from not playing due to injury, not playing because they are rubbish or playing too much in a short time. The god help us two of them are injured yet again.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
After reading through so many comments I think most people should just calm the feck down. The performance wasn't a classic, but playing against minnows is always tricky. For them, it's their cup final, a chance to show that they can play at higher levels. They are not expected to win and have nothing to lose.

Additionally, we played some tumescent stuff under SAF in FA cup matches vs minnows. Does anyone here remember the shitefest vs Crawley and Burton?
Great post.

Yeovil were always going to be right up for it, biggest game of their careers. We were average and nothing worse, professional in the end.

United vs Exeter 2004 springs to mind too, 0-0 at Old Trafford and 2-0 at Exeter's ground, and again, Ronaldo only scored the second goal right at the end. I'm satisfied with today's result, Yeovil were quite good at times.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 403 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Yeovil win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Yeovil 0:3 Man Utd
  • 15% Yeovil 0:4 Man Utd