postgame:Arsenal vs Manchester City

RUCK4444

You could make the right decision and still shit the bed by dithering and being weak, he had no control and wasn't firm enough

For example Mike Dean who is mostly a bellend in regards to the shitty descions he makes manages to be more competent by sole virtue of being firm and a shithouse
I don’t really see what he could have done more, he was booking players for complaining, brought the two captains in for a stern talk about the amount of complaining going on from both sides.

The fact is Arsenal the home team felt hard done by correct decisions going against them and in turn started complaining and the fans started going over the top, very hard to control that and a lot of refs would have gotten a load of decisions wrong in that scenario, like I say I don’t think he could have done much more (and I don’t think I’ve ever defended a ref before.)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I can’t stand Arsenal but after just watching the highlights they have been completely robbed. I have to say the amount of decisions that city get I really am beginning to wonder if there’s something underhand going on, it’s becoming a joke.

That odegard penalty is stonewall, Ederson brings him down without getting anywhere near the ball. Shocking decision!

Can’t believe anyone thinks that Silva challenge is a pen. He’s barely touched him and yet he’s gone down soft as anything, ridiculous decision.

The Red appears completely correct and that was brain dead by Gabriel but I can’t understand how City have had a pen and not Arsenal here.

RUCK4444

I can’t stand Arsenal but after just watching the highlights they have been completely robbed. I have to say the amount of decisions that city get I really am beginning to wonder if there’s something underhand going on, it’s becoming a joke.

That odegard penalty is stonewall, Ederson brings him down without getting anywhere near the ball. Shocking decision!

Can’t believe anyone thinks that Silva challenge is a pen. He’s barely touched him and yet he’s gone down soft as anything, ridiculous decision.

The Red appears completely correct and that was brain dead by Gabriel but I can’t understand how City have had a pen and not Arsenal here.
He threw a leg in front of Silva totally missing the ball, he goes down there it’s a stone wall pen (watch that back clear connection with his knee/leg nowhere near the ball) then he follows that up by pulling his shirt!

Silva exaggerates the fall but if you don’t get a pen after the two fouls in one move then he’s absolutely right to go down like Rio said after the game.

Mental how some people think the first is a definite pen (which it’s 50/50 imo) and this one isn’t. Watch them back and ignore the embarrassingly bias commentary.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don’t really see what he could have done more, he was booking players for complaining, brought the two captains in for a stern talk about the amount of complaining going on from both sides.

The fact is Arsenal the home team felt hard done by correct decisions going against them and in turn started complaining and the fans started going over the top, very hard to control that and a lot of refs would have gotten a load of decisions wrong in that scenario, like I say I don’t think he could have done much more (and I don’t think I’ve ever defended a ref before.)
I guess we have to agree to disagree, as i felt he could have done much more to rein in the game and stamp his authority

In the end arsenal have themselves to blame they were rash and inexperienced which is to be expected from a young teamsuch as them , but that does not detract from the refs performance

Siezard

Xahka and Martinelli costed them the game
It's normal when the team has reckless players. That's why it's always important to have players with strong experience in the squad.

They will get lots of red cards from the Gabriel to Xhaka esp when their head coach is weak.

TrustInJanuzaj

He threw a leg in front of Silva totally missing the ball, he goes down there it’s a stone wall pen (watch that back clear connection with his knee/leg nowhere near the ball) then he follows that up by pulling his shirt!

Silva exaggerates the fall but if you don’t get a pen after the two fouls in one move then he’s absolutely right to go down like Rio said after the game.

Mental how some people think the first is a definite pen (which it’s 50/50 imo) and this one isn’t. Watch them back and ignore the embarrassingly bias commentary.
I didn’t watch it live only seen the highlights with no commentary and that’s my opinion. Silva is going down before he’s even touched and even then the contact is minimal. If that happens in 5 a side a player doesn’t go down. The shirt pulls is immaterial, he’s already on his way down and pulling a shirt a little bit isn’t really illegal else there’d be 100 fouls a game.

On the first challenge Ederson clearly doesn’t touch the ball. He’s kicked through Odegaards foot to force it out. How is that anything other than a rash tackle and a foul?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The only awful thing that came out of that game was the commentary team on BT. Fecking awful.

They have an almost pathological need to turn everything into a controversy, then keep going on and on about it until they're all in agreement with each other, so they can continue to keep going on and on about it. The referee was good today and got the big decisions right. This "new" Arsenal team just did an Arsenal and fecked it up...again.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
It's crazy how much the commentary shapes the lasting memory people have of a refereeing performance.

All it would have taken yesterday was for one of the co-commentators to say "oh look, Odegaard steps on Ederson before Ederson can get to the ball, maybe that's why it wasn't given" and there would be none of the outrage this morning.

I genuinely believe that if you watch the game with the sound off you come to the same conclusions as the referee.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
On the first challenge Ederson clearly doesn’t touch the ball. He’s kicked through Odegaards foot to force it out. How is that anything other than a rash tackle and a foul?
Because the only reason Ederson doesn't get the ball is that Odegaard treads on Ederson.

TrustInJanuzaj

Because the only reason Ederson doesn't get the ball is that Odegaard treads on Ederson.
Is that even his fault considering Ederson comes flying out and isn’t really in control?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Odegaard’s foot is manipulating the ball at the same time. Ederson flies in a split second late and contacts his foot, not the ball. It’s a textbook definition of a foul. One man gets to the ball first, the other man doesn’t get to the ball but gets to the player instead.

Morpheus 7

It's crazy how much the commentary shapes the lasting memory people have of a refereeing performance.

All it would have taken yesterday was for one of the co-commentators to say "oh look, Odegaard steps on Ederson before Ederson can get to the ball, maybe that's why it wasn't given" and there would be none of the outrage this morning.

I genuinely believe that if you watch the game with the sound off you come to the same conclusions as the referee.
Ederson was lucky, he didn't get the ball. He went through the player and possibly made slight contact with the ball then, it was a lucky break for City. It was a penalty and your be raging if you'se didn't get it. Arsenal can't argue anything else, right calls from then on. Got what they deserved.

Josh 76

Are there any Arsenal fans who think the ref got the decisions right yesterday ?

Are there any City fans who think the ref got the decisions wrong yesterday ?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Are there any Arsenal fans who think the ref got the decisions right yesterday ?

Are there any City fans who think the ref got the decisions wrong yesterday ?
I think if the Ederson decision has been given by the ref I'd have no complaint but for me it's 50/50 if VAR needed to get involved, not a clear and obvious error, you'll not always get a free kick for that outside the box. I'd be pissed to not get the pen but I'd not be going over the top.

Bernardo's is a stonewall pen, he's turned Xhaka inside out, Xhaka leaves his leg in then pulls Bernardo's shirt, its 5 an obvious error so should go to VAR

Ref got most things right and he tried to let the game flow, Arsenal fans shouldn't have been on the ref, should have been with whoever was on VAR

Dominos

How can anyone call that a good performance by the referee is beyond me , descions aside a good referring performance requires control over the players and keeping everything in check and along the lines to stamp your authority(just look up how the bald Italian used to do it), he completely failed in those regards and had lost any semblance of control, his indecisiveness led to even further controversy and on top of that you've still got them suspect descions.

It was an abject performance and calling it anything but is a tad dishonest in my humble opinion.
He can't control what is out of his control.

The whole Arsenal team and their fans threw a hissy fit because a stonewall penalty was given against them. It's not his fault Arsenal are a bunch of children with a victim mentality. What is he meant to do, pull the whole team to one side and say "that's enough whinging lads, get on with the game you bunch of crybabies", which would only lead them to throw another tantrum.

If he's had a poor game it's because he's made wrong decisions. Nothing to do with having to control the emotions of a bunch of grown men.

Realistically, his only poor decision was the Ederson pen however it's understandable he wasn't sure in real time, the direction the ball travelled suggests he may well have got the ball. It's VAR that's failed him on that one, they should have give him the angle that shown Ederson make contact with the foot.

Edit: on 2nd thought, his other poor decision was not giving Silva the pen in the first place, but VAR bailed him out.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
About the var rules, the ref goes to the screen when the var tells him they think he got it wrong? Just trying to understand why he didn't go to the screen to check the first penalty claim but he went for the second, what's the rule?

Siezard

About the var rules, the ref goes to the screen when the var tells him they think he got it wrong? Just trying to understand why he didn't go to the screen to check the first penalty claim but he went for the second, what's the rule?
Because the referee doesn't like Arsenal or even Liverpool and he isn't afraid of Arteta.

Basically, Arteta was bullied because he's a young manager.

Last edited: