g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

postgame:Arsenal vs Manchester City

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
I hate arsenal and I hate city but I hate injustice even more. That refereeing/VAR display was a complete embarrassment to this league. You begin to wonder if the conspiracy theories about them buying the league might have a grain of truth.
PS . I cannot believe the amount of City supporters on here but then again you need FANS to have your own FAN forum :wenger::rolleyes:

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I hate arsenal and I hate city but I hate injustice even more. That refereeing/VAR display was a complete embarrassment to this league. You begin to wonder if the conspiracy theories about them buying the league might have a grain of truth.
PS . I cannot believe the amount of City supporters on here but then again you need FANS to have your own FAN forum :wenger::rolleyes:
TBH,I‘m so mad at referee and var.They made some terrible decisions in a lot of matches,not only in this match but other matches too.But I think I’ve acted like 3 years old boy who lack of restraint too(before I edit my post).

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
The replays of the Arsenal penalty shout pretty clearly indicate that Odegaard treads on Ederson's foot, which prevents him from getting to the ball and therefore constitutes a foul on Ederson. It's a shame that the awful commentary failed to ever mention this as I'm pretty sure it would have cleared things up for most viewers.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
The replays of the Arsenal penalty shout pretty clearly indicate that Odegaard treads on Ederson's foot, which prevents him from getting to the ball and therefore constitutes a foul on Ederson. It's a shame that the awful commentary failed to ever mention this as I'm pretty sure it would have cleared things up for most viewers.
From Liverpool fan,I think the referee should give both Bernardo and Odgaard penalties.
They deserve to have it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't understand what the problem was. All of the decisions were correct?

The Arse pen the keeper gets the ball and also gets trodden on in the process. The City penalty I thought was just blatant even though he was half way through a pathetic dive.

Second yellow was arguably a bit harsh but then if you're dumb enough to get booked for trying to kick the penalty spot away you don't get to blame the ref.

Arsenal were really unlucky just on the balance of the game but then if they'd kept their discipline they'd have probably kept 11 players on the pitch and won. Instead they decided to go into victim mode.

Keown's completely childish commentary was also enough on its own to make me glad they lost

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
From Liverpool fan,I think the referee should give both Bernardo and Odgaard penalties.
They deserve to have it.
Except if Odegaard hadn't stepped on Ederson's foot (accidentally of course) then Ederson would likely have got the ball. There's a good reason the penalty wasn't given and the confusion only comes from that reason not being communicated to the fans.

The biggest problem with VAR is that we're made to speculate about the referee's thought process.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I don't understand what the problem was. All of the decisions were correct?

The Arse pen the keeper gets the ball and also gets trodden on in the process. The City penalty I thought was just blatant even though he was half way through a pathetic dive.

Second yellow was arguably a bit harsh but then if you're dumb enough to get booked for trying to kick the penalty spot away you don't get to blame the ref.

Arsenal were really unlucky just on the balance of the game but then if they'd kept their discipline they'd have probably kept 11 players on the pitch and won. Instead they decided to go into victim mode.

Keown's completely childish commentary was also enough on its own to make me glad they lost
For Gabriel two yellow-cards,I also think it was such a big controversy.It can be viewed in a lot of perspectives and I have my view about it too.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Gabriel lost his head for the second yellow. Over motivated, he steamed in and wasn’t calm enough to resist pulling back Jesus when he got done on the turn. Looked like a straightforward decision.

darko

Well said.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Gabriel lost his head for the second yellow. Over motivated, he steamed in and wasn’t calm enough to resist pulling back Jesus when he got done on the turn. Looked like a straightforward decision.
I would agree with your statement about Gabriel,like I’ve said before he deserved a second yellow.
I’m so impress with Arsenal today. Before Gabriel got red card,they even played as well as City(different tactics for both Team).

Tarrou

i thought the city pen was soft but it's not an outrage that it's given or anything

the rest of the big decisions looked clear-cut and correct

how can anyone dispute that red card? it's as clear as day

Oranges038

Odegaard pen was the only one that really might have gone either way on another day.

Gabriel was an idiot, plain and simple.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He had a good game. Keown moaning about holding getting booked for a clear yellow and Laporte not being penalised for a non-existent “high arm” was pretty funny. To accuse the ref of losing control of the game when he was an unbiased emotional clown on comms was slightly ironic.
That was hilarious... He made it sound like Laporte committed GBH on Martinelli.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
It was a very good refereeing performance. In difficult circumstances. Could maybe have booked more Arsenal players, who lost their heads completely. But that would be harsh criticism.
Everyone has different opinions.So,I respect your opinion .
And imho I’m not impress on this match refereeing performance.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Saka went into the crowd when he scored and should have been booked. Then later, he eventually got booked, so the only thing Atwell got wrong today was failing to issue that initial standard booking.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Everyone has different opinions.So,I respect your opinion .
And imho I’m not impress for this match refereeing performance.
No you don't. @Pogue Mahone doesn't seem too sure what he's saying, he's critical and then admits that is harsh. Arsenal should feel so lucky United even care about a little old London team :lol:

Walters_19_MuFc

Nothing was spoiled? It was an entertaining game. And Arsenal deserved to lose for Gabriel being an idiot.
My comment was made based on the thread title, which has now been changed.

I do agree that it was an entertaining game, but today showed the inconsistencies of VAR, hence my comment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No you don't. @Pogue Mahone doesn't seem too sure what he's saying, he's critical and then admits that is harsh. Arsenal should feel so lucky United even care about a little old London team :lol:
I’m perfectly sure what I’m saying. It was a very good refereeing performance but if anyone is determined to nit-pick then he could be criticised for not taking a harder line with the Arsenal players relentless whining and arguing after the red card. He got all the other decisions spot on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well he couldn't have could he, otherwise he wouldn't have overturned his decision regards City's penalty. He did; however, have a good performance.
I’m no fan of VAR but it did exactly what it was supposed to do there. In real time the referee couldn’t see the shirt pull from his angle. So VAR gave him the opportunity to have a look at a piece of the action he wouldn’t have otherwise seen.

The other incident was different in that he had a perfect view and watching a replay would add nothing useful.

JDDL

Supports
Arsenal
As an Arsenal fan, it was a great performance let down by a couple of stupid moments. The Odegaard pen shout should have been taken to VAR but otherwise no real complaints about the refereeing. Xakha made it too easy for the ref by grabbing the shirt and Gabriel's red card was his own fault.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I’m perfectly sure what I’m saying. It was a very good refereeing performance but if anyone is determined to nit-pick then he could be criticised for not taking a harder line with the Arsenal players relentless whining and arguing after the red card. He got all the other decisions spot on.
I think you'll find a lot of teams attempt to surround the referee when he's making key decisions, however I thought you said it would be a harsh criticism to claim they all lost their heads. I think we can certainly say that Gabriel did, that's hardly the whole team. :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think you'll find a lot of teams attempt to surround the referee when he's making key decisions, however I thought you said it would be a harsh criticism to claim they all lost their heads. I think we can certainly say that Gabriel did, that's hardly the whole team. :lol:
The ref had a crowd of Arsenal players in his ear every single time he gave a free against them in the closing stages. He chose not to take them on, which was probably the right way to handle it. Although you could also argue he shouldn’t have stood for that much backchat. I was only bringing it up as a possible criticism, for anyone determined to criticise. Because there was zero justification for criticism with any of his other decisions.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The ref had a crowd of Arsenal players in his ear every single time he gave a free against them in the closing stages. He chose not to take them on, which was probably the right way to handle it. Although you could also argue he shouldn’t have stood for that much backchat. I was only bringing it up as a possible criticism, for anyone determined to criticise. Because there was zero justification for criticism with any of his other decisions.
Well we we're hardly going to watch the whole game back just to check your claims but it wasn't the impression or the view I got. Anyway, your first comments seem to be developing now and I'll choose to leave you to it, I simply feel you are trying to make something out of nothing while ignoring the fact that a lot of teams do the same finding themselves in what turned out to be a good game overall but pressurised. It's a bit of a shame but I'd probably be mistaken in expecting any less. :)

Flyer1

Supports
City
i thought the city pen was soft but it's not an outrage that it's given or anything

the rest of the big decisions looked clear-cut and correct

how can anyone dispute that red card? it's as clear as day
Well put, the decisions were correct, I feared the worse when ederson went in and it went to var but as soon as it showed a replay it certainly wasn't a foul. Bernie was taken knee high even if he made the most of it.
Arsenal were superb but lost their heads, keown shouldn't be allowed to commentate on an arse game again, he was pathetic.
Was anything mentioned about all the shite thrown at rodri by the Tarquin fans?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I thought the Gabriel red was fair, and I thought it was a penalty against Silva. He dived but Xhaka was foolish to grab the shirt. I thought the Odegaard moment was a penalty, but the difference between that and the Silva one was more obvious, whereas with the Ederson challenge it took a view viewings from different angles to confirm it, so I can understand why VAR didn't call him to the monitor as it did with the Silva incident.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Sorry for my terrible post,I don’t have any excuse.
It’s my fault,I can’t control my emotion.
Anyway,to be honest I still not impress the referee today,He made some bad decisions during the match(ex.Rodri,Bernardo and Odegaard).
On Xhaka,I think he deserved a penalty for sure and Gabriel deserved a red card too.

Arsenal players play really well today and I appreciate it.
Are you okay? Are you sad? Feeling alone?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Sorry for my terrible post,I don’t have any excuse.
It’s my fault,I can’t control my emotion.
Anyway,to be honest I still not impress the referee today,He made some bad decisions during the match(ex.Rodri,Bernardo and Odegaard).
On Xhaka,I think he deserved a penalty for sure and Gabriel deserved a red card too.

Arsenal players play really well today and I appreciate it.
What was the post? :lol:

tomaldinho1

It’s the inconsistency that’s baffling. I think both penalties stand if the ref gives them and then VAR checks but he only gives one, can he tell if Ederson takes the man first when it seems people are divided even with slow motion replays? He can’t. ñ

Biggest thing that annoys me though is City seem to have some kind of immunity from is professional fouls - Rodri and/or Fernandinho will have about 4-5 lives per gamebefore they get a yellow.

It was a clear penalty on Bernardo, there can be no arguments there. In fact the ref should have seen that in real time. Arsenal's shout was equally correct. It wasn't obvious even with VAR so the on field decision can't be changed.

I don't know what it is with Arsenal fans, 20 years of irrelevance but give them a couple of wins on the trot and they are are as entitled and arrogant as they ever were.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It was a clear penalty on Bernardo, there can be no arguments there. In fact the ref should have seen that in real time. Arsenal's shout was equally correct. It wasn't obvious even with VAR so the on field decision can't be changed.

I don't know what it is with Arsenal fans, 20 years of irrelevance but give them a couple of wins on the trot and they are are as entitled and arrogant as they ever were.
Don't think we stopped in between the wins either. :lol:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Ref wasn't content with giving a Red card, denying us a penalty and then giving City one. They were even defending for City.:mad: