Potential Centre-Back Signings

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In all fairness mate you were bigging up big Willy before he came to Utd and while he has had his fair share of injuries he is 19 now and does not look even close to making our squad and we have at best pretty average CBs.
Willy Kambwala missed two years through injury.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So from what you have seen from him recently do you think he has the skills to be a first teamer at Utd?
When 2 years of a youngster's development is curtailed by injury. Then it becomes more difficult to assess a players potential because he's missed key years in his development curve.

Because if he hadn't been blighted by injuries then at his current age one could make a assessment or a prediction about his chances.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Well let's see, but if im honest he looks too skinny for CB.

yes saliba learnt his trade away from your starting xi or even bench. we havent got that privilege because this is our CB list this season:
Varane
Licha
Lindelof
Maguire
Evans

Chalk Varane, Maguire, Evans off next season and we left only with 2 CBs!!!! It wont be learning the trade but swim or sink for our new CB.
If you lose three CB's then that's a different story. I can't imagine you'll lose all three in the same off-season though, one of Varane or Lindelof will stay. But if all three go then I imagine you'll be after an established CB as a priority, with a developmental CB as a secondary need.

Whilst our list (mentioned above) was worse, we were at least able to buy Gabriel (20/21) and White (21/22) in consecutive seasons, both of which are quality defenders. Gabriel was able to play two seasons at CB, and White deputised in one season, before Saliba was deemed ready.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The good thing about the French league is that it never lets me down when looking for talent. Especially CB talent who I mention below.

There's a 17 year old right footed CB playing at Lille who looks to have big potential. His name is Leny Yoro and he's already around 1.90m in height at 17 years of age. Technically he's showing a very high level where his passing is very impressing already. He looks to have the pace and the intelligence to control larger spaces in defensive transition and it wouldn't surprise me to see this lad develop into a world class CB.
In general the French league is a fantastic place for talent. I think it's mainly due to it's physical nature, which allows player to come to the prem and integrate way quicker than other leagues. Kroupi, who plays for Lorient looks a hell of a talent at 17 and because he plays against the CBs we mention, he get's great schooling from such a young age.

I haven't seen much of Yoro, but I had heard of him - will try and catch a Lille game to see. Becir Omeragic at Montpellier looks like he could be a real physical CB who carries the ball well, just came from Zurich this season I think, but one to watch out for.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So you 2 dont think that Arsenal didnt monitored, guide, and mentored him to get him reach PL level standard during those 2 years? ok.
Just fancy shifting the goalposts when you realise what you said didn't make sense?

Your original point, to which I responded, what that the Prem is a much more physical league. Saliba's loan doesn't really have anything to do with that point, considering it was in that league.

aeh1991

You’ve got 3 of the best young CB’s in Europe partnered with Martinez here and you think 2 of them are just going to be content sitting on the bench whilst their development sinks at a club like United? Come on..

You’re getting 2 of those 3 at the absolute best and considering this is Manchester United we’ll be lucky to get 1, and it should Antonio Silva if its for RCB, i’d get Scalvini if it was LCB
If Varane, Lindelof and Maguire leave, there will be room for CBs. And the situation would be different from now since they can share playing time, instead of becoming a backup to Rapha. Licha has not found his form yet and I'm worried it could become a permanent problem. So having 2 RCBs to compete for one spot and one understudy to Martinez would make sense. But I agree that it's absolutely unrealistic to get all 3. We gotta think big though. At least 2 high profile talents need to come.

Gopher Brown

De Ligt appears to be out of favor and frustrated at Bayern by many accounts and seems like an obvious signing for us. If he’s available for an affordable fee (up to £60m-£70m or so) then there’s no chance we are going after anyone else.
If Maguire is unable to play the high line we want to because he is too slow, then de Ligt isn't an upgrade.

LuckyScout78

From all the CB options has been mentioned on here.

Ousmane Diomande is totally new for me. Never seen him play live. But after looking of his clips on youtube. I think he is the one. He is quicker than Antonio Silva and harder to pass and beat 1 on one.

So i will vote for Diomande as new right foot CB

The other new CB is. Here i will go for a left foot CB. The uncertain of Martinez. If he can reach the top level again. Uncertain.

Then one of the best left CB out there is Alessandro Bastoni from Inter. I just love Bastoni left foot. He has to good and precise passer and crosser. Plus Bastoni can play left back in crisis or need.

United having those 4 CB options = Diomande, Bastoni, Martinez, Lindelof, Varane will be good

Both Diomande and Bastoni = 190 cm tall. Aggresive and good enough with the ball.

Bissaka - Diomande - Bastoni - Shaw/Malacia. This back line will look rock solid. It will help United goalkeeper too. The solid protect line infront of Onana.

Sum up. Mine votes go to Diomande and Bastoni. Bastoni = top level left foot CB

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
From all the CB options has been mentioned on here.

Ousmane Diomande is totally new for me. Never seen him play live. But after looking of his clips on youtube. I think he is the one. He is quicker than Antonio Silva and harder to pass and beat 1 on one.

So i will vote for Diomande as new right foot CB

The other new CB is. Here i will go for a left foot CB. The uncertain of Martinez. If he can reach the top level again. Uncertain.

Then one of the best left CB out there is Alessandro Bastoni from Inter. I just love Bastoni left foot. He has to good and precise passer and crosser. Plus Bastoni can play left back in crisis or need.

United having those 4 CB options = Diomande, Bastoni, Martinez, Lindelof, Varane will be good

Both Diomande and Bastoni = 190 cm tall. Aggresive and good enough with the ball.

Bissaka - Diomande - Bastoni - Shaw/Malacia. This back line will look rock solid. It will help United goalkeeper too. The solid protect line infront of Onana.

Sum up. Mine votes go to Diomande and Bastoni. Bastoni = top level left foot CB
That’s 5 mate but I understand you not seeing Lindelofs invisible name there

Last edited:

Devil81

Not sure why Marc Guehi never gets a mention, he's fast, good on the ball.

I think he's a really good player.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Been mentioned numerous times. I agree. Good player. But there appears to be so many good options for RCB.

LuckyScout78

He might not have counted Varane because Varane is injured too often to be considered an option?
Correctly mate. If i was D.O.F. I would not give him new contract.

Varane is a Ole buy = both Varane and Ole = Nice guys. And it mean. No more mr.nice guys thank

I want a physical beast of a CB. A natural beast of a CB

I want a CB like a beast of a manager. Super aggresive, enthusiasm...both manager, CB and players.

Aggresive, enthusiasm, top guts, big character and personality managers attract aggresive players and top players.

Players with top characters, temperment and personalities :
- Cantona
- Ince and Keane
- Stam
- Rooney
- Nisteloy
- Ronaldo
- Even aggresive Argentina pitbull Tevez end up at Old Trafford

List above is no mr.nice guys = make it hard for you to come playing at Old Trafford

Like peoples are saying.

If you want to know how the owner of the dogs are.
Know your friends
Know the managers personalities

Just look at the friends of the person and the players and students of that manager

And again. World class manager attract world class players. The level get to match each others.

If you hire a second best manager like Ole...You know what you will get. A second best players. Like Varane at that time. He couldn't steady and help United much. Before a player with higher personality like Bruno could steady United ship a short time. Before he alone can't steady the United ship. Even with the help of Ten Hag and his new players.

So the question is. Is Ten Hag a world class manager?
Or the owner still has a lot of luck, when it come to get succesful with United on the football side.

Again, back to Varane. He came to United when his best time on the pitch was over. Plus some minor, unknown injury? Lead to this. Injury every years.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Thought Scalvini was good tonight, saw the hype. He will definitely be a top defender in the future.

NoPace

Expensive and Lisandro-Guehi might have trouble in the air at times, is I think why, also he plays in a deep line for Palace so even though he's fast we don't see it a ton. And I think just generally he's seen as unlikely to be a top 10 CB in the world, like I'd guess Colwill will have the better career in the end.

Basically I think the argument against him or say is he'd be a 3rd CB type of guy and not Lisandro's partner for the next 5 years and he'd cost 2nd CB money. Prem proven players with 2 years left on their deal go for a lot. Don't think Palace would sell for a what feels like a reasonable 45M type fee (England backup, 23, probably their #3 CB by market value after Stones and Colwill but ahead of everyone else) and would want 60M+.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Expensive and Lisandro-Guehi might have trouble in the air at times, is I think why, also he plays in a deep line for Palace so even though he's fast we don't see it a ton. And I think just generally he's seen as unlikely to be a top 10 CB in the world, like I'd guess Colwill will have the better career in the end.

Basically I think the argument against him or say is he'd be a 3rd CB type of guy and not Lisandro's partner for the next 5 years and he'd cost 2nd CB money. Prem proven players with 2 years left on their deal go for a lot. Don't think Palace would sell for a what feels like a reasonable 45M type fee (England backup, 23, probably their #3 CB by market value after Stones and Colwill but ahead of everyone else) and would want 60M+.
Brilliant defender, got everything to his game and is a leader too but I’d agree I’d have concerns about pairing him with Lisandro.

Chelsea will take a significant percentage of any profit (I think it’s 25%) so of course he won’t be given away for £45m.

golden_blunder

Staff
Correctly mate. If i was D.O.F. I would not give him new contract.

Varane is a Ole buy = both Varane and Ole = Nice guys. And it mean. No more mr.nice guys thank

I want a physical beast of a CB. A natural beast of a CB

I want a CB like a beast of a manager. Super aggresive, enthusiasm...both manager, CB and players.

Aggresive, enthusiasm, top guts, big character and personality managers attract aggresive players and top players.

Players with top characters, temperment and personalities :
- Cantona
- Ince and Keane
- Stam
- Rooney
- Nisteloy
- Ronaldo
- Even aggresive Argentina pitbull Tevez end up at Old Trafford

List above is no mr.nice guys = make it hard for you to come playing at Old Trafford

Like peoples are saying.

If you want to know how the owner of the dogs are.
Know your friends
Know the managers personalities

Just look at the friends of the person and the players and students of that manager

And again. World class manager attract world class players. The level get to match each others.

If you hire a second best manager like Ole...You know what you will get. A second best players. Like Varane at that time. He couldn't steady and help United much. Before a player with higher personality like Bruno could steady United ship a short time. Before he alone can't steady the United ship. Even with the help of Ten Hag and his new players.

So the question is. Is Ten Hag a world class manager?
Or the owner still has a lot of luck, when it come to get succesful with United on the football side.

Again, back to Varane. He came to United when his best time on the pitch was over. Plus some minor, unknown injury? Lead to this. Injury every years.
I agree that we need a “beast” of a CB to compete in the PL. but I disagree with your assessment of Varane. When fit he’s clearly still our best CB. He doesnt need to do the dirty job in the way Ferdinand didn’t either and we didn’t hold that against him.
however I would suggest changing his next contract to a pay if you play type

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Branthwaite was immense once again at Anfield yesterday. His new contract may have complicated any pursuit there but he’s one to keep an eye on. He is potentially a very dominant centre half IMO.

davidmichael

Branthwaite was immense once again at Anfield yesterday. His new contract may have complicated any pursuit there but he’s one to keep an eye on. He is potentially a very dominant centre half IMO.
I think bringing in one of Silva, Diomamde or Todibo and then Braithwaite also would be a great move. Move on Maguire and Lindelof at the same time.

johnnyteutonic

The good thing about the French league is that it never lets me down when looking for talent. Especially CB talent who I mention below.

There's a 17 year old right footed CB playing at Lille who looks to have big potential. His name is Leny Yoro and he's already around 1.90m in height at 17 years of age. Technically he's showing a very high level where his passing is very impressing already. He looks to have the pace and the intelligence to control larger spaces in defensive transition and it wouldn't surprise me to see this lad develop into a world class CB.
Football manager agrees with you. I used the editor in FM23 to find the hottest CB prospects a few months ago and Yoro was right up there.

gaffs

If Saudi come knocking, I would sell Varane in a heartbeat.

I like Guehi. Quick, very good on the ball, looks to be two footed, great recovery pace, young. He has everything.

If he continues to have a good season, Palace will want 80mil. Leicester got 70mil for Fofana who is was nowhere near as good and had a poor injury record.

golden_blunder

Staff
If Saudi come knocking, I would sell Varane in a heartbeat.

I like Guehi. Quick, very good on the ball, looks to be two footed, great recovery pace, young. He has everything.

If he continues to have a good season, Palace will want 80mil. Leicester got 70mil for Fofana who is was nowhere near as good and had a poor injury record.
And not so good in the air.

I feel we need someone more dominant alongside Martinez

Avero

Pau Torres in, Lindelof out?

Martinez - Varane
Torres - Maguire

Evans & Fish

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I’m seeing rumours of United sniffing around Chalobah.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is he any good and are there any credible rumours or just nonsense one from likes of Team Talk .
Just seen the Teamalk one so far. No real credible sources yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this picks up pace as we get closer to January.

He sadly appears to be the odd man out in our defence now.

FerociousCorgis

i mean it is ridiculous to think about how many CB signings we should ideally be making for next season. The only CB who should be back is prob martinez, assuming he gets over his injury shit this season. Everyone else should be moved on from due to various reasons. Add in the fact we dont have any youth cbs close, and should prob be making 3 signings at least if we were serious about competing.

gajender

i mean it is ridiculous to think about how many CB signings we should ideally be making for next season. The only CB who should be back is prob martinez, assuming he gets over his injury shit this season. Everyone else should be moved on from due to various reasons. Add in the fact we dont have any youth cbs close, and should prob be making 3 signings at least if we were serious about competing.
Unpopular opinion but if we get decent offer for Martinez out of the blue we should take it as well , while he brings plenty to the table he does have pretty big flaws in terms of like lack of physicality and ability to defend large spaces which would come more and more in focus if we move in direction of playing aggressive and proactive football it would leave defenders more exposed and expected to do lot of heavy lifting .

FerociousCorgis

Unpopular opinion but if we get decent offer for Martinez out of the blue we should take it as well , while he brings plenty to the table he does have pretty big flaws in terms of like lack of physicality and ability to defend large spaces which would come more and more in focus if we move in direction of playing aggressive and proactive football it would leave defenders more exposed and expected to do lot of heavy lifting .
meh he has at least shown me enough for another season, unless he just doesnt play the rest because he keeps getting injured. Then maybe you could say his body might not be able to handle the physicality of the league. Im already selling varane/maguire/lindelof/letting evans leave so pretty much only guy left haha

gajender

meh he has at least shown me enough for another season, unless he just doesnt play the rest because he keeps getting injured. Then maybe you could say his body might not be able to handle the physicality of the league. Im already selling varane/maguire/lindelof/letting evans leave so pretty much only guy left haha
Fair Enough I am not saying actively sell him but buy two Center Backs worthy of starting regularly after moving on Maguire, Varane, Lindelof pipe dream and then if an big offer comes for Martinez then don't hesitate to cash in either.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Fair Enough I am not saying actively sell him but buy two Center Backs worthy of starting regularly after moving on Maguire, Varane, Lindelof pipe dream and then if an big offer comes for Martinez then don't hesitate to cash in either.
Was Lindelof not convinced to stay by the manager during the summer? By the way I agree on the Licha sale, he is not the fastest guy going to compensate for his size.

gajender

Was Lindelof not convinced to stay by the manager during the summer? By the way I agree on the Licha sale, he is not the fastest guy going to compensate for his size.
I believe thinking was Maguire would leave So maybe they were ok with another year of Lindelof as Back Up .

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I believe thinking was Maguire would leave So maybe they were ok with another year of Lindelof as Back Up .
It still makes no sense to me, both had to leave. If a player loses their starting position at 27, they should be phased out, it’s common sense squad management.

daba

Have seen a few clubs such as AC and Inter Milan being linked to Lloyd Kelly of Bournemouth who’s contract us up in the summer.

Left footed, quick, tall, decent ball player and defender. Given our situation he could be a good Martinez back-up on a free.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Have seen a few clubs such as AC and Inter Milan being linked to Lloyd Kelly of Bournemouth who’s contract us up in the summer.

Left footed, quick, tall, decent ball player and defender. Given our situation he could be a good Martinez back-up on a free.
He's a great shout. Can cover at left back too when needed. He's the type of player who could easily progress to England level at a big club.

davidmichael

Problem is we don’t seem to do these practical free signings outside of Eriksen and Zlatan, we should have brought Rabiot in on a free in the summer but didn’t and I’m sure there’s countless others as well but yes Kelly would be a decent back up option.

Roboc7

We need a huge overhaul at CB, Varane and one of Lindelof/Maguire need to be moved on. Would love to see us bring in someone like Kelly who is free or another cheap alternative, a top prospect like Yoro to loan out as well as someone like Todibo.