Potential RB Options

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He's too weak to be a fullback.

As for the OP, we definitely need an attacking fullback whether that comes from the academy or a signing. Telles doesn't seem to be the attacking force many hyped him up to be so the requirement remains and we may as well add it at RB given we have two first team LBs now. Would love for us to sign a RB who genuinely threatens teams.
Too weak? WTF are you talking about?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Max Aarons perhaps? I don’t think he’d cost much given Norwich are in the Championship. Surely he’d push for the move if United come calling?

I’m also very impressed with James Justin at Leicester. He will lose his place once Pereira returns. Better to fight for your place at United than Leicester right?

Lamptey looks good as a wing back but I have serious doubts about him defensively in a 4. He’s tiny & easily bullied.

If we don’t bring anyone in I’d go with Tuanzebe as back up. Williams isn’t very good at all, Fosu-Mensah is quite frankly a liability & Laird is unproven.

The sticking point is Tuanzebe is more of a CB, and seems to suffer recurrent injuries himself.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He's physically weak, 5'5, little understanding of wing play, inept defensively, and underwhelming at crossing the ball. I wouldn't like to see what happens.

Lamptey is the player in the Premier League I'd spend big for, but he seems to be having too many injury problems.

I wouldn't be against signing a player of Telles' profile though. Someone at the mid-point of their career with plenty of games under their belt and wouldn't cost much. Unlike with Telles though, I'd favour a runner this time. A full-back more interested in creating combinations and overlapping the winger.
So Dan James is weak but all 5'4, 137 lbs of Lamptey are ideal? And I'm not sure how "little understanding of wing play" (whether you're right or wrong) means anything in my suggestion of making him a RB. That's an argument for him not being a winger. As for his defensive ability, he seems to do quite well as a winger who helps out AWB. Besides, I'm not talking about just chucking him in there. It would be something taught at training. I personally think he has the right attributes to play the position well and would certainly be better than AWB in the offensive third of the pitch. Oh, and you don't have to agree with me. I can't make you see something you are incapable of seeing. Just don't tell me he's too weak and then suggest Lamptey instead... :lol: :lol: :lol:

croadyman

Max Aarons would be good purchase.. He's 5' 10" and will be 21 next week... He's already made over 100 first team appearances for Norwich.. scoring 4 goals... He's an attacking right back who can also play as left back... He is a better option than Williams at this moment in time.. however a loan move and regular game time would improve Williams.. It's just shame Laird has had his injuries as i would prefer him to get a chance.
Yeah forgot about him and that's a very good shout

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Weak in the air, doesn’t win physical battles, always looks better on the left, need I go on with what’s wrong with you post?
I didn't know RB's were known for their aerial ability. Must have missed that when checking out TAA. I also completely disagree about him looking better on the left. On the left (and you are talking about him as a winger btw, which is not what i'm suggesting) he always looks to cut in and try to score. And he usually loses it. On the right he takes his man wide. As a RB he would be overlapping. I'm not suggesting to just chuck him in there one game and see what happens. I'm talking about converting him. Teaching him. I think he has the attributes to be a good RB. You don't have to agree with me. And maybe it wouldn't work. But I wouldn't mind seeing it tried. In fact, if I were him I would suggest it because he's not going to make it here as a winger...

croadyman

Max Aarons perhaps? I don’t think he’d cost much given Norwich are in the Championship. Surely he’d push for the move if United come calling?

I’m also very impressed with James Justin at Leicester. He will lose his place once Pereira returns. Better to fight for your place at United than Leicester right?

Lamptey looks good as a wing back but I have serious doubts about him defensively in a 4. He’s tiny & easily bullied.

If we don’t bring anyone in I’d go with Tuanzebe as back up. Williams isn’t very good at all, Fosu-Mensah is quite frankly a liability & Laird is unproven.

The sticking point is Tuanzebe is more of a CB, and seems to suffer recurrent injuries himself.
Gotta say Leicester are very good at blooding full backs, can remember Chilwell first coming through there by playing in the domestic cup games and have now seen Justin take a very similar path as well

Red_toad

I didn't know RB's were known for their aerial ability. Must have missed that when checking out TAA. I also completely disagree about him looking better on the left. On the left (and you are talking about him as a winger btw, which is not what i'm suggesting) he always looks to cut in and try to score. And he usually loses it. On the right he takes his man wide. As a RB he would be overlapping. I'm not suggesting to just chuck him in there one game and see what happens. I'm talking about converting him. Teaching him. I think he has the attributes to be a good RB. You don't have to agree with me. And maybe it wouldn't work. But I wouldn't mind seeing it tried. In fact, if I were him I would suggest it because he's not going to make it here as a winger...
He’s much shorter than TAA, he’s not as gifted as TAA where his weaknesses are covered by his strengths. We already have a failed winger as a right back. James would have to relearn the game entirely as he doesn’t show Any defensive attribute, which is fine for someone who’s been an attacking player his entire career.
Full backs have to have aerial ability, not sure how you’ve missed that but there ya go, I’ve yet to see James win a header against anyone.
Enjoy your opinion, but it’ll never happen.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He’s much shorter than TAA, he’s not as gifted as TAA where his weaknesses are covered by his strengths. We already have a failed winger as a right back. James would have to relearn the game entirely as he doesn’t show Any defensive attribute, which is fine for someone who’s been an attacking player his entire career.
Full backs have to have aerial ability, not sure how you’ve missed that but there ya go, I’ve yet to see James win a header against anyone.
Enjoy your opinion, but it’ll never happen.
You do realize that most FB's started out as wingers right? You keep thinking inside the box and rubbishing any ideas that go against your norm...

Red_toad

You do realize that most FB's started out as wingers right? You keep thinking inside the box and rubbishing any ideas that go against your norm...
No most don’t, but some do. Enjoy your trip if you think James will ever establish himself as right back at United.

Devil may care

I like Lamptey and Aarons is a good shout, in general I would like to see an exciting attacking RB to compete with AWB.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I like Lamptey and Aarons is a good shout, in general I would like to see an exciting attacking RB to compete with AWB.
He has to be good in attack mate or otherwise there isn't any point in signing one. Someone who will provide width and the give and go option so will have to be technically strong to link up play with our forwards. So that should rule Dan James out..

Sadly Ethan Laird can't can't stay fit long enough for Solskjaer to rely on him.

sparx99

No most don’t, but some do. Enjoy your trip if you think James will ever establish himself as right back at United.
I mean we’ve done this about 8 times in recent years. Valencia, Young and even AWB was a winger. You tend to end up with a player that has the physical attributes but lacks the positioning and concentration that defenders have learnt over years.

Even AWB who is a phenomenal tackler has been repeatedly caught out of position or unaware of an attacker coming in behind him. He also has a tendency to over cover and get too close to Lindelof leaving space where he should be (the Angelino goal against RB Leipzig for example).

I think James works hard as a winger but I don’t see him developing into a full back at this point. I don’t even think his delivery is any better than AWB anyway,

Max Aaron’s was supposedly available for £15-20m in the summer.

Tripper has been banned for 6 weeks but offers good experience and a nice contrast to what AWB offers. He would be fairly priced and comes from Bury so may be looking to move closer to home. At 30, he also wouldn’t prevent Laird or Williams coming into contention in a year or two.

sherrinford

Wan Bissaka is our weakest regular starter - we need a right back to go straight into our strongest eleven, not come in as cover.

Aarons, Lamptey, or go for Ricardo Pereira (and gamble on him returning from injury the same player) as, with Justin's emergence, Leicester may be more open to selling than would generally be expected.

Devil may care

He has to be good in attack mate or otherwise there isn't any point in signing one. Someone who will provide width and the give and go option so will have to be technically strong to link up play with our forwards. So that should rule Dan James out..

Sadly Ethan Laird can't can't stay fit long enough for Solskjaer to rely on him.
Agreed, it needs to similar to how we've balanced things with Shaw and Telles on the left.

What's the deal with Laird? I know you felt he'd have broken through by now, are the injuries a growing pains type of thing?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed, it needs to similar to how we've balanced things with Shaw and Telles on the left.

What's the deal with Laird? I know you felt he'd have broken through by now, are the injuries a growing pains type of thing?
Laird keeps getting injured when it looks like he's in a position to potentially challenge for the RB spot. He was a similar level of talent to Tariq Lamptey IMO but can't catch a break from injuries. I hope it's growing pains but can see Solskjaer delving into the transfer market now to sign someone who will provide width and the option for our attackers to link up with. I don't think he can rely on Laird as things stand so a loan looks the best option for him right now.

Mcking

So Dan James is weak but all 5'4, 137 lbs of Lamptey are ideal? And I'm not sure how "little understanding of wing play" (whether you're right or wrong) means anything in my suggestion of making him a RB. That's an argument for him not being a winger. As for his defensive ability, he seems to do quite well as a winger who helps out AWB. Besides, I'm not talking about just chucking him in there. It would be something taught at training. I personally think he has the right attributes to play the position well and would certainly be better than AWB in the offensive third of the pitch. Oh, and you don't have to agree with me. I can't make you see something you are incapable of seeing. Just don't tell me he's too weak and then suggest Lamptey instead... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only thing James and Lamptey have in common is that they are both short. I guess you are a fan of Daniel James as a Manchester United player?

M Bison

Supports
York City
I could well be wrong but personally, would be surprised to see a RB signed. Get the point on Laird and injury issues but we still have Williams who should/could get a game at RB. If it was my money, I’d want to see either of those before shelling out in that position.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I could well be wrong but personally, would be surprised to see a RB signed. Get the point on Laird and injury issues but we still have Williams who should/could get a game at RB. If it was my money, I’d want to see either of those before shelling out in that position.
I think Solskjaer has seen enough of Williams hence the likes of James Ducker have reported that he's available for a loan.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think Solskjaer has seen enough of Williams hence the likes of James Ducker have reported that he's available for a loan.
Interesting point, more broadly. If you were the owner would you accept that and give Ole “£x” to spend on a replacement or would you challenge him on it?

I was reading an article about Ashley Young earlier, we spent £50m on AWB so either we bought badly, in which case you’d question managements ability to get the replacement right, or were looking at backup, in which case why not have kept Young or go with Williams?

(granted Young point is a bit of a red herring and a separate issue/debate)

Bwuk

I’d love to see us go for Hakimi in the summer.

It’s mental to me that AWB cost more than him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Interesting point, more broadly. If you were the owner would you accept that and give Ole “£x” to spend on a replacement or would you challenge him on it?

I was reading an article about Ashley Young earlier, we spent £50m on AWB so either we bought badly, in which case you’d question managements ability to get the replacement right, or were looking at backup, in which case why not have kept Young or go with Williams?

(granted Young point is a bit of a red herring and a separate issue/debate)
I have been saying before AWB kicked a ball for us that it was a mistake to sign him. But having said that i'd still back Solskjaer in the market because the noises coming out of the club regarding new recruits is very positive regards adopting a attack minded approach.

Devil may care

Laird keeps getting injured when it looks like he's in a position to potentially challenge for the RB spot. He was a similar level of talent to Tariq Lamptey IMO but can't catch a break from injuries. I hope it's growing pains but can see Solskjaer delving into the transfer market now to sign someone who will provide width and the option for our attackers to link up with. I don't think he can rely on Laird as things stand so a loan looks the best option for him right now.
Would you look to loan him out in the PL, the Championship or abroad?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would you look to loan him out in the PL, the Championship or abroad?
The best loan would be at a club where he would get regular minutes. And the EPL would be the preference for obvious reasons. But if that's not possible then I'd personally hope he goes abroad, which could potentially open him up-to different tactical setups which in theory would be really good for him.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think Arrons would be good but I'm sure they wanted big money for him in the summer and that put Liverpool off? We don't want to be going crazy in that area given the investment in AWB who I still feel is being written off prematurely by some.

Laird staying fit would be ideal tbh as he's looked a real talent

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The only thing James and Lamptey have in common is that they are both short. I guess you are a fan of Daniel James as a Manchester United player?
I like Dan James' work ethic but think he makes a lot of wrong decisions. I also think he is more of a traditional winger and these days FB's look more like traditional wingers than wide forwards do. So in my opinion, if there is any chance of him making it at United then he has to reinvent himself and one of the ways in which he could possibly achieve this is to try and take his skill set and convert it into becoming a RB. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't. One thing for sure is that it won't work for much longer as a winger. Not at United...

NYAS

He's great going forward, bit suspect defensively.
Nice contrast to AWB.

I think Arrons would be good but I'm sure they wanted big money for him in the summer and that put Liverpool off? We don't want to be going crazy in that area given the investment in AWB who I still feel is being written off prematurely by some.

Laird staying fit would be ideal tbh as he's looked a real talent
That was Jamal Lewis.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Insulting another member
When did I say that I think James will establish himself as a RB? I said I would like to see him converted to that position to see if it works because he's certainly not going to make it as a winger. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't. I'm not sure. But go on..you keep thinking inside the box and keep turning your nose at people who go against your norm. Asshole...

NYAS

Top choice: Aarons

Continental hipster options:

Mazraoui (Ajax)
Zeki Celik (Lille)
Youcef Atal (Nice)

NoPace

He looks so good I think they'll end up playing him at RCB with Fofana and Soyuncu and just let Castagne and Pereira fight it out at RWB. They have Thomas as a backup on the left and need a proper left wing back to replace Chilllwell, and when Evans goes get another CB for rotation. Bensabaini seems like their kind of signing, or maybe Estupinan, Windajl or Pedraza, someone like that under 25 doing well in a big league but maybe could get for like 20-30M.

NoPace

Top choice: Aarons

Continental hipster options:

Mazraoui (Ajax)
Zeki Celik (Lille)
Youcef Atal (Nice)
Mazraouai often looked like the weakest player when Ajax made their run (was 21 or 22), but I watched them, must have been against Liverpool or Atalanta and he looked fantastic. Really aggressive. I wonder if he's made a leap.