Pre Premier League Draft

Indnyc

:(

Exactly why I wanted to pick at the end of the draft, I think the pattern is just going to mean some of the players I initially targeted get taken at the bottom of the rounds
I can see that but i still think there at least some elite players at the Top.. A lot of the players are going to be unknowns and need to be sold.. Someone like Dalglish or Robson on the other hand don't really need to be sold

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
This is probably the ONLY draft where they'll get recognized. No other opposition literally.
Which is a shame really... UK players of this period underrated in my view.

Dalglish is understandable as a first pick..... lot of good players who were 'pure' midfielders or 'pure' forwards but there aren't many that could play the role/game he could.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I reckon its because nobody here will bother to watch old Liverpool games nor do a proper research about those players so they are either forgotten or underrated as feck.
I had a few games with a certain Liverpool legend lined up for a few compilations, but in the end decided that it was not worth it to watch Liverpool winning games over and over :lol:. Only did one with his performance for the Europe's XI

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They're underrated somewhat, of course, as is to be expected on a United forum.

However, if you compare the great Liverpool vintages with other teams on the same level, their biggest names aren't quite up there. It's been discussed many times on here: Both the teams themselves and the star players are strangely underwhelming given how much they won.

That isn't United bias either. Compare 'em to Bayern and Ajax, the two most impressive teams in Europe before Liverpool went on their golden streak: There really is no comparison. They look positively pedestrian by comparison – which is no big slight on Liverpool (even if their fans will undoubtedly take it as such).

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

However, if you compare the great Liverpool vintages with other teams on the same level, their biggest names aren't quite up there. It's been discussed many times on here: Both the teams themselves and the star players are strangely underwhelming given how much they won.

That isn't United bias either. Compare 'em to Bayern and Ajax, the two most impressive teams in Europe before Liverpool went on their golden streak: There really is no comparison. They look positively pedestrian by comparison – which is no big slight on Liverpool (even if their fans will undoubtedly take it as such).
Could say the same about a lot of the EC winners of this era though. Forest won an EC double and their stars are much less remembered and then look at the lineups of the EC winning Villa, Hamburg, Steua sides and they all lack those star attackers we remember now.

Oddly the EC losing finalists of this era had a lot more of the stars we remember than the winners.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Could say the same about a lot of the EC winners of this era though. Forest won an EC double and their stars are much less remembered and then look at the lineups of the EC winning Villa, Hamburg, Steua sides and they all lack those star attackers we remember now.

Oddly the EC losing finalists of this era had a lot more of the stars we remember than the winners.
Yes, it's true for the whole era of British domination in the old EC.

Strong teams, not that flashy.

What this should mean, however, for this particular draft - is that a good deal of those non-too-flashy (but undoubtedly very good) players will get some airtime.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool

Shankly had this philosophy of "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."

So Liverpool sides during the 70s and 80s, had a splendid spine of 4 odd world class players and others who weren't great but extremely solid players.

I do get what you're saying though. Liverpool's all-time greats don't compare with other top clubs' in terms of sheer ability and talent. But thats also kinda a reflection of what made the Liverpool teams so great in the 70s and 80s. They were ahead of their time, especially compared to English clubs. Their philosophy of pressing from the front using Rush as the first line of defense troubled a lot of teams as they couldn't deal with Rush. The pass and move philosophy which Shankly preached was a key core to the teams in the 70s and 80s. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The Liverpool side in 70s and 80s epitomized that really well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Shankly had this philosophy of "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."

So Liverpool sides during the 70s and 80s, had a splendid spine of 4 odd world class players and others who weren't great but extremely solid players.

I do get what you're saying though. Liverpool's all-time greats don't compare with other top clubs' in terms of sheer ability and talent. But thats also kinda a reflection of what made the Liverpool teams so great in the 70s and 80s. They were ahead of their time, especially compared to English clubs. Their philosophy of pressing from the front using Rush as the first line of defense troubled a lot of teams as they couldn't deal with Rush. The pass and move philosophy which Shankly preached was a key core to the teams in the 70s and 80s. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The Liverpool side in 70s and 80s epitomized that really well.
Absolutely, I agree with this.

It's more a question of Liverpool not being quite there compared to Ajax, Bayern, the Milan of the late 80s – in other words other teams that dominated the European game in a way that's, well, historical. Liverpool do compare to those teams in terms of what they won – but not quite in terms of how they did it.

And if people ask why the biggest names of those vintages aren't, say, draft favourites – well, there's the answer.

A certain double (very nearly triple) Ballon winner simply never gets much props around here – and it's the same thing again: Part of it is bias but another part is that he is – for one reason or another – not as impressive as a player as those we're bound to compare him to.

prath92

I would have picked Robson first up tbh. He was the first name I thought of when this draft was pitched

idmanager

Can I make a pick for Frank so he doesn't have a bad start to his first draft?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

It was more of a Paisely era than Shankly's tbh. The attack/defend as a unit was quite novel at that time and Paisely's insistence on versatile players made a difference in players being more flexible in terms of positioning. It's just that English football was always behind Europe in terms of tactics. The Liverpool Way was not something that Shankly or Paisley invented, but rather adopted from Europe, imo.

Indnyc

1. Onenil - 1) K. Dalglish (45)
  2. Green Smiley - 1) I. Rush (4)
  3. BeforeKeanetherewasRobson - 1) B. Robson (51)
  4. Edgar - 1) P.McGrath (63)
  5. Frank Grimes 1) K.Keegan (480)
  6. Enigma_87/TRV 1) G.Lineker (3)
  7. MJJ
  8. Youngrell
  9. Cal?
  10. Gio
  11. Skizzo/Pat Mustard
  12. Tuppet
  13. Oaencha
  14. Indnyc
  15. KM/Invictus/Šjor Bepo
  16. Chesterlestreet
@MJJ

Last edited:

Indnyc

I am not surprised Keegan went before Linekar.. He fits perfectly in the second striker role

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The new Makalele?
Been banging on about it for ages, even mentioned it in the "commonly misspelt player names" thread.

It might be some sort of weird typo rather than an actual misspelling, because frequently you see people spell it both correctly and wrongly in the same post.