Pre-season friendlies 2013

Laphroaig

I went to Union Berlin vs Celtic yesterday. That was brilliant. Full house and both sets of fans were vocal and great. I had no idea that Union had the opening ceremony for their new main stand (seats, the other three are safe standing) after the game, so absolutely everyone stayed behind to see the the fireworks and lights show. One of the most fun matches I've attended, I might have to go and see their season opener next weekend. Oh and Union hammered them 3-0.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Liverpool are comfortably beating Preston 4-0. Coutinho (pen), Ibe, Sterling and Aspas with the goals. The Aspas goal was just really poor goalkeeping. Liverpool been pretty lively and quick. Made 10 substitutions and Mignolet played 77 minutes. Preston have made 10 subs and are no threat at all. Don't look very fit. Nice way for Liverpool to kick off the season with a Shankley testimonial like that. Will give them plenty of false hope for the season.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Morel (Marseille) just got sent off for kicking the ball against Fucile's (Porto) balls whilst the later was on the ground. Some professionalism going there, ruining the purpose of the game for both teams.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We are playing Austria Vienna right now and you can already see that Martinez has given the "No Hoofing" rule to the CBs. Consequently we have conceded to Jagielka playing a poor pass when they were passing it around. Might be shitting myself a few times this year.

Oh, and Martinez shouting "quicker, quicker" in terms of passing when Naismith is on the pitch is hilarious.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
The team everyone wants to lose this season got off to a losing start too, although Falcao did score.

Fortuna Dusseldorf 3 - 2 Monaco

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
They were losing 2-0 half time, but of the big signings only Carvalho was playing. Rodríguez, Moutinho and Falcao came in the second half, they went 3-0 down, and then Rodríguez and Falcao scored.

I do hope they don't reach the CL next season.

Minkaro

Turkish minnows Galatasaray managed to achieve a stunning upset victory over Shrewsbury Town. Although they did have Eboue playing for them.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea beat Singha All Stars 1-0. A Lukaku pen.

I think that is all the evidence we need to show that Chelsea 》Man United.

I didn't see the game but apparently Wallace played well at right back.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Damn, those Singha All Stars are awesome!

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Nice to see Lukaku starting off the pre season with a goal even if it was a penalty, if we dont get Rooney we are relying on him turning into the next Drogba sooner rather than later!

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
We are playing Austria Vienna right now and you can already see that Martinez has given the "No Hoofing" rule to the CBs. Consequently we have conceded to Jagielka playing a poor pass when they were passing it around. Might be shitting myself a few times this year.

Oh, and Martinez shouting "quicker, quicker" in terms of passing when Naismith is on the pitch is hilarious.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-drastically-different-under-Roberto-Martinez

Jagielka saying that training with Martinez is different as they do more work with the ball. Makes you wonder what sort of training regime Moyes implemented when he was Everton's manager. & will he bring it with him to OT ?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fitness most likely. Our pressing high up the pitch was one of the best in the league and our never give up attitude was prominent also.

Brightonian

Fitness most likely. Our pressing high up the pitch was one of the best in the league and our never give up attitude was prominent also.
Which is something I think we will benefit from. Well, perhaps not fitness exactly but work rate and defensive pressing, which were part of the same Moyes bundle. It was interesting when Kagawa came from Dortmund that he said we do much more work with the ball than them, because we have certainly seemed much better on the ball than off it for a while under Fergie. Off it at times we've looked completely clueless, with no real system.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Which is something I think we will benefit from. Well, perhaps not fitness exactly but work rate and defensive pressing, which were part of the same Moyes bundle. It was interesting when Kagawa came from Dortmund that he said we do much more work with the ball than them, because we have certainly seemed much better on the ball than off it for a while under Fergie. Off it at times we've looked completely clueless, with no real system.
Pressing especially is something I find United to have had a real weakness in. Players like Kagawa, Welbeck etc would excel at it. Another reason why Fellaini would slot into the side, as his pressing is probably the best in our team. You have the fullbacks for it too, so I see no reason why it would fail.

Anyway, in general reply to the thread, we just beat Accrington 4-1. You can see Martinez's philosophy already, we passed more than I can remember.

Only pre-season but the only worries I have are CBs fannying around, and too much passing with too few chances.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Chelsea beat Singha All Stars 1-0. A Lukaku pen.

I think that is all the evidence we need to show that Chelsea 》Man United.

I didn't see the game but apparently Wallace played well at right back.

You had shirt names and numbers in Thai. One upped us again.

Snow

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-drastically-different-under-Roberto-Martinez

Jagielka saying that training with Martinez is different as they do more work with the ball. Makes you wonder what sort of training regime Moyes implemented when he was Everton's manager. & will he bring it with him to OT ?
Training regimes can be so different. My Icelandic team recently fired the manager and got a new one (a Serb). One guy from the team said that training consists of standing around for 40 minutes watching the manager talk and then practice corners to the point of straining yourself.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Man City just lost 2-1 to Amazulu fc. Not a great start for them so far.

LR7

Snow

United were shit in S-Africa last season as well. It's much harder to play a team that are physically fit than a team that's in pre-season just like you. Match fitness is what matters the most in these first games really. That and young players getting their chance.

Brightonian

You really believe in the importance of winning pre-season games, don't you? United played Amazulu amongst others on a similar tour to City's last season and were shit, with lots of losses and draws. Didn't seem to hurt our season too much.

Shaydee

United were shit in S-Africa last season as well. It's much harder to play a team that are physically fit than a team that's in pre-season just like you. Match fitness is what matters the most in these first games really. That and young players getting their chance.
Amazulu haven't played a league match since May also. Their season starts second weekend of August

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
I read the sun today and it said 'Jose picks up his first trophy as Chelsea manager by winning the 'something something' cup after beating Singa all stars 1-0.' Seriously? We won a trophy by winning one game?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea kicking off against a Malaysia XI in about 45 mins.

Be my first chance to see Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Wallace and De Bruyne in a Chelsea shirt.

No idea how good/shite this Malaysia side are.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I read the sun today and it said 'Jose picks up his first trophy as Chelsea manager by winning the 'something something' cup after beating Singa all stars 1-0.' Seriously? We won a trophy by winning one game?

The José Effect! Pretty soon he'll win Miss World and the Grand National just by thinking of them!

Hitchcocker

Believe me when I say Malaysian XI are rubbish. We are worse than the Thai and at our best, we're probably equal with the Indons. Would be embarrassing if you can't beat the Malaysian XI with a hockey score who are probably tired from fasting.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Better than Liverpool then?

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea kicking off against a Malaysia XI in about 45 mins.

Be my first chance to see Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Wallace and De Bruyne in a Chelsea shirt.

No idea how good/shite this Malaysia side are.

First row isnt blocked yet is it?

ricky-romeo

news coming in that only 20% of the tickets are sold by yesterday. so the organizer has decided to cancel the live telecast so that fans have to go the stadium to watch it if they want to.

and Hitchcocker is right about the Malaysian national team. we are not as good as Thailand but probably are just ahead of Indonesia. I'll say it is 51-49 to us. and we got beaten by a semi pro Australian club just last month.